Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kapookie
Msg: 110
Testimonials New Feature - QuestionPage 4 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Belgarion, this is the suggestions forum and people are making suggestions on how this feature might be tweaked to better suit everyone. attacking our patriotism of this site simply because we have critques is unwarranted. i'm sure everyone posting on here loves this place and loves the work that has gone into it..else they wouldnt be passionate enough to bother making any noise. if this new feature doesn't change the POF experience for you then more power to you but please don't assume your experience is remotely similiar to anyone elses POF experience. It simply isn't.

-steve
(who loves this site btw..loves loves loves loves loves loves!)
 kap10cavy1963
Msg: 111
Testimonials New Feature - Question
Posted: 9/2/2006 12:13:13 PM
Myself, I like this new feature. It's not that hard to understand, and I'm a simple Hillbilly.
Maybe the wise Bigfish can come up with a way for us to be able to accept or deny someone from adding us to their favorites, BEFORE, we are added.
I do it the easy way, I add someone and follow up with a quick note stating why.
This gives them to see I have added them and can't remove me if they want.
Some of these poor ladies have hundreds of people putting them on their list and the numbers just keep climbing.
Just me 2 cents for what it's worth.
 2eyes2ears
Msg: 113
Posted: 9/2/2006 1:06:25 PM
Hmm, I'd also seen "Favs" as a sort of passive bookmark list to mark those who seem interesting. I never realized it was some sort of bidirectional "buddy list" thing.

Guess I'll need to delete them. Sorry to anyone who felt violated because I'd Fav'ed you without knowing you first.
 GypsyEssence
Msg: 114
Posted: 9/2/2006 1:35:21 PM
I like the new feature.

Since I am not in the habit of collecting favorites like carnival won prizes and tend to houseclean "who has favorited me" every once in awhile then the feature doesn't seem a problem to me.

Can someone falsely post something negative about anyone? Yes, but to me if someone is really serious about someone a little site tracking of commentators will give one a clue about whom is telling the truth. Better yet, just flat out ask the person the comment is posted about.

There are two sides to a story and anyone basing a decision to communicate further on one side of the story just displayed a potential for taking hearsay as gospel. Personally, I don't see that as a good relationship trait.

I have checked both those I have favorited and those who have favorited me. I've found only one with a testimonial where a hot looking late 40 something has posted quite clearly for all to see how a 30 something is a GREAT KISSER and honestly it tickled the heck out of me. Now without talking to the guy, I can presume they had ONE hot date or they have something going on still. But until I actually asked him what the testimonial is about I really don't know the deal. He has left the testimonial in place and has been online quite a bit so it doesn't look like it has impacted his chances as of yet.

This is one time I think "being picky" may actually benefit people. Most picky people I know don't tend to have a very large group of favorites unless they are extremely active forum posters. Forum posters from my experience tend to be like family and usually know what to and what not to post about each other so in my opinion I don't see much of an issue with potentially negative testimonials occurring among them.

Only time will tell how good or bad the feature will be.
 OpheliaBonMot
Msg: 116
just a quick question (i hope)..
Posted: 9/2/2006 6:37:06 PM
No one can add themselves to YOUR favorites list but you. Likewise, you cannot add yourself to somene else's favorites list, just your own.

Look at your profile to see testimonials written about you. I just checked and you have none on your profile.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 9/2/2006 6:48:51 PM
I still think a lot less fuss would be made of this if they just made a guestbook possible. That way their would be an unlimited number of entries, and it would be on a secondary set of pages, away from the profile.

That's done on many sites, and it's workable.

The basic idea would remain the same, the profiles would be intact and without disruption, and one could monitor and delete unwanted comments.

I don't have any problem with the system now, except for the 15 maximum entries, which means the possibility of some people's testimonials being deleted.
 checkin-u
Msg: 118
Posted: 9/2/2006 9:13:58 PM
^^ ....well we could always go back and RE-POST
 Sassy911
Msg: 120
Posted: 9/2/2006 9:58:17 PM
Well I don't see what the big deal is........nor do I have a problem with it.......what I do have a problem with ......being on 217 fav.lists...and only 3 testimonials..............lol

The ones you have as your favourites are the ones who can write you a testimnial, not the 217 - see post #1 / Moderator
 cougar99
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/2/2006 11:05:26 PM
I don't have a big problem with it, it just reminds me of the scenerio of work or during dinner, where a freind says, I know someone great for you.
I think they are wonderful and fantastic, but just not for me.
 picker_grinner
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/3/2006 5:54:25 AM
I've already noticed another benefit. It makes forum stalking easier.

....well we could always go back and RE-POST

Now I see a potential downside to the feature. Turf wars to stay on someones profile. lol
 Sassy911
Msg: 123
Posted: 9/3/2006 6:42:28 AM
Thanks for the clarity(moderator)but even so.....I still have more than 3 on my fav lists...lol.....and I was just joking................

But why does the testimonial thing only show up on the ones who have you on their fav. list and not on your favs?

It's explained in the thread numerous times, It's to prevent somone from adding you to their list and then adding a nasty testimonial on your profile w/o your knowledge - The only people who can leave you a testimonial would be supposed friends that you have gotten to know and added to your list.
 PotentialPlus
Msg: 125
Testimonials New Feature - Question [How it Works Msg#1]
Posted: 9/3/2006 7:05:01 PM
Can someone please tell me how to modify or delete a testimonial that I've created ??
Thanks!
 thegreatrockyhill
Msg: 126
Posted: 9/3/2006 7:39:27 PM
I think it's stupid.

If they've corresponded with you, read your posts, or talked or chatted with you - they can certainly express how they feel because of that ? You don't have to be face to face with someone to see who a person is, or at least some facets of their personality that you admire.

Eh maybe.

It just makes it all the more like finding a job. I guess you need references now. Dumb.

And let's face it. Most of the guys who put girls on their faves are doing so simply because of pics. What's the testimonial going to be? Man shez hawt!!! It's dumb.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 127
view profile
History
Posted: 9/3/2006 7:41:45 PM
They can still speak about your qualities as a person, can't they ?

If they've corresponded with you, read your posts, or talked or chatted with you - they can certainly express how they feel because of that ? You don't have to be face to face with someone to see who a person is, or at least some facets of their personality that you admire.
 noso
Msg: 128
Posted: 9/3/2006 11:32:46 PM
well yea just take a strangers word on another stranger..sounds good
 justasassyone
Msg: 129
Posted: 9/4/2006 12:33:32 AM
The final decision is NOT MINE if I have to delete something AFTER the fact and after the damage is done, and it does cause a lot of damage to many people for all the many many many reasons I've stated in all my above posts!

OMG.. why all the fuss over a simple function... I would suggest taking people off your favorites list if they are not your friends.... good grief.... talk about getting your panties in a knot over nothing..........geesh Lets not over analyze this feature... it has its good qualities and of course there could be abusers of the system.. but not likely... chill

fter the damage is done

moral of the story.. be careful who you put on your favorites list... again...simple really!
 PotentialPlus
Msg: 130
Posted: 9/4/2006 5:34:30 AM
How does one edit or delete a testimonial they have written ???
 PotentialPlus
Msg: 132
How Do I Modify or Delete ?
Posted: 9/4/2006 8:54:52 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to modify or delete a testimonial that one has written ?
 kapookie
Msg: 133
Posted: 9/4/2006 9:39:09 AM

moral of the story.. be careful who you put on your favorites list... again...simple really!

please explain why you should have to police your own bookmarks...
 ~squirrly~
Msg: 134
Posted: 9/4/2006 9:49:13 AM
Obviously because they are more than just bookmarks.
 xchuck
Msg: 135
Posted: 9/4/2006 10:13:23 AM
I like the feature but i can see how some would get upset by it...it is sort of a invasion of privacy. Some people might not want a testimonial at all on their profile. That being said
they should have been notified and given the option to have testimonials or not on their profiles.

Btw...i don't understand why my last 5 forum posts are on my profile i did'nt ask for them to be there nor do i want them there. People viewing my profile have thought that some statements being shown on my last 5 posts were mine when sometimes i was only quoting someone it's very confusing and serves no purpose
 ~squirrly~
Msg: 137
Posted: 9/4/2006 4:04:52 PM
Chuck...did you just notice the 5 posts thing? Its always been there. Thats not new.
 xchuck
Msg: 138
Posted: 9/4/2006 4:48:29 PM
^^^Of course i noticed it long before now..lol.

I just thought i add my thoughts on it here now and it relevancy to not having the option to take it off my profile such as tesimonials. I believe your profile is just that YOUR profile and should not be altered by someone else
 bucsgirl
Msg: 140
view profile
History
Posted: 9/4/2006 5:38:14 PM
If you didn't like someone's testimonial wouldn't deleting them as a favorite also delete their testimonial? Apologies if this has already been covered, I scanned through and didn't see it.
 theadra
Msg: 141
Posted: 9/5/2006 2:14:44 AM
This feature is reminiscent of High School yearbooks.

When I read some "Testimonials" they appeared to be persons complimenting one another as to how great they are in the forums, etc.

Appears to be a popularity contest with the in crowd climbing all over one another to make certain the positive testimonials pile up.

As to helping identify "Players", PLEASE!.....I'm an adult, perfectly capable of doing that and more myself. One reason I would never go to E-Harmony is because I don't want someone deciding who's for me.

I'm not worried about any negativity being added to my profile, its just that this feature is so juvenile and I really don't want to know what someone else thinks about someone I'm interested in, positive or negative. It's how someone relates to me that I care about. Not how they've related to someone else. Except between friends like the ones I talked about above this is just not a true read on anyone.

I think you should rethink this feature.

Sincerely, theadra
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >