Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 roxanne1652
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Favourite PiesPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hey, Classic--

Where and when is the party? Is it OK for me to bring a few friends?

A friend of mine gave me this recipe last Christmas and I couldn't believe that she had held out on me for all these years!

It is hands-down the easiest pie crust I've ever worked with. It freezes really well, which is a bonus (I freeze it in a ball and thaw it out and roll it when I need it).

Originally it was supposed to be for 5 pie crusts, but both she and I think it works better for four.

4 cups flour
1 T. sugar
2 t. salt
1+3/4 cups shortening
1/2 cup ice water
1 T. vinegar
1 large egg
 roxanne1652
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Favourite Pies
Posted: 9/6/2006 2:48:31 AM
Dreamer--

I don't fry much, but the dough is very sturdy to work with (but very flakey when done; I actually never ate pie crust before this one), so I think it would work. Please keep us posted. And you might want to clue us in on the fried pies . . .

This I am throwing in because we are on the subject--my mother used to make this, but it was a big deal to make the crust every time, so we didn't have it often (she really hated to bake, although she was a great cook aside from that very serious flaw--oh, you know what they say--"if it's not one thing, it's your mother"). With the frozen dough, I am making this way too often:

PASTY

1 pie crust
1/2 pound ground beef
2 medium potatoes sliced
1 medium onion, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
worchestershire sauce to taste

Roll out pie crust. Line half with potatoes, salt & pepper; then crumbled ground beef, salt & pepper, drizzle with worchestershire; then onions (and salt & pepper). Fold other half of pie crust over filled half; seal edges. Bake at 375"°" (you saw that one coming didn't you, Classic?) until crust is golden brown (45 min. to one hour).

Total comfort food. We always had stewed tomatoes on the side. My sister put cheese in it once, but I am totally anal and to me that wasn't pasty but some poseur.

(I hope you guys know that I am using you as an excuse to finally get my recipes into the computer . . . .)

And on that note:

This is the recipe I use for meringue or strawberry pies. It is slightly sweet and has a cookie-ish consistency.

CRUMBLY PIE CRUST

1+1/2 c. sifted flour
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
1/2 cup oil
2 T. milk

Mix and pat into pie pan. Bake at (here it comes again! Told you that you created a monster!) 400"°" for 15 minutes. (Check after 10 minutes--learned that the hard way.)

(LARD? Even here in the Deep South, where a heart attack is only a chicken leg away, I don't think I've seen it in the store. It might possibly be a black market item (honestly--no pun intended.))
 roxanne1652
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Favourite Pies
Posted: 9/10/2006 2:24:05 AM
Clem--

O'boy, you stepped into it . . . .

I need meringue advice. The conditions that may have contributed to my latest disaster:

1) I live at sea level
2) it was a humid day, but I had the AC on

It was a problem from the get-go. The whites were at room temperature, the bowl and mixer blades (or whatever they are called) were perfectly clean.

It took forever for the whites to fluff, let alone peak.

I took the meringue to seal at the edges.

It wept. I cried.

(I have made meringue before that behaved like a Baptist at a chuch social.)

Heal my pies, Pastry Man!!

P.S. I did the cream-of-tartar thing according to the recipe.

I am totally anal. I do not change a molecule of a recipe until I try it the way it is written. My life as I know it falls apart when things don't turn out as they should!!

Help me! Sombody help me, please! (Don't make me call in Little Richard!)
 auntymar
Msg: 13
Favourite Pies
Posted: 9/11/2006 7:39:20 PM
BLUE BANANA PIE

2 sliced bananas
Baked 9 inch pie crust

8 oz cream cheese softened
3/4 cup white sugar
1 envelope dessert topping (prepared) or 1 container frozen topping

1 can blueberry pie filling

Lay banana slices over bottom or pie shell to cover.

Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Fold in dessert topping. Spoon over banana.

Place dabs of pie filling here and there over top. Spread to cover. Chill. ENJOY!!
 roxanne1652
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Favourite Pies
Posted: 9/15/2006 12:40:22 AM
Dreamer--

Thank you for your kind words. You should be a fly on the wall here. I live by myself and every day it's:

(Kinda creepy, I know. Recently I told my son that I sit here and laugh by myself and he said he does the same thing. Which was creepy also, but then I said the same thing to my college roommate (from 30 years ago) and she said that she used to walk in the door and I'd be sitting in the room laughing. Creepy, hell--it's downright . . . REALLY creepy!)

But I will take your kindness and pass it on. Thank you.

Classic--

I think I MAY have figured out the meringue thing. I did everything on your list except freeze the bowl, etc., but I looked at a few of the recipes on here and think it may be the oven temperature. I was going by the Betty Crocker Cookbook and it said to brown the meringue at 400° and the other recipes here said 300°. What do you think?

Guess I'll go back to:

Life's too short not to!
 roxanne1652
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Favourite Pies
Posted: 10/9/2006 6:26:12 PM
Classic--

(For the life of me, I don't remember how to e-mail you personally, so this will have to do . . . )

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU AND YOURS!!!

(can you hear my stomach growling??)

Rx
 sillychick
Msg: 19
Favourite Pies
Posted: 12/7/2006 9:26:11 AM
I've searched these forums high and low and I can't find a recipe for meat pie aka tourtiere. I can't seem to locate my gramma's recipe and I am wondering if anyone out there has a good meat pie recipe since it's been tradition to have them every Christmas eve in my family and it's my year to make them........yikes!!!!!!!!!! We all make different types so any recipes would be greatly appreciated.
 sillychick
Msg: 22
Favourite Pies
Posted: 12/7/2006 10:20:16 AM
Thanks Classic, I knew you would have one. Have you ever tried the ones with potatoes and carrots and that in it? I've had them a few times and aren't too bad. Was thinking of making a few of those too since some prefer it with the veggies. Your combo of meat looks exactly like the one my grandmother always made. I remember being sent to the butcher to get all 3 meats ground for her.

My son and I prefer the pate brise for our crust so I think I might stick to that one unless you think it wouldn't be as good for meat pies. I'm not a pie lover nor much of one for baking pies but that's the only crust my son will eat for his fruit pies.

Thanks again Classic, you saved me having to try talking to the heaven's to my nanny to get one similar to hers. Too many strange ones on google that are nothing like what we call tourtiere. Much appreciated as always.
 sillychick
Msg: 24
Favourite Pies
Posted: 12/11/2006 6:40:45 AM
Now I'm looking for a recipe for butter tarts with no nuts or raisins. One kid is allergic to every nut out there so have to not use them at all. All the recipes I have don't say if the nuts or raisins are optional so afraid to try them in case they actually need them for them to set properly. Anyone have a good butter tart recipe without anything added to them?

Classic, I'm going to try that recipe this week for the meat pies. Decided not to use the pate brise since it's so rich so will either make the one with lard like my mom always does or try out the shorterning one my grandmother used. Lard is so much easier to work with though. lol
 michele6259
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Favourite Pies
Posted: 8/17/2009 6:01:42 PM
Gotta go with a Peach pie!
the orchards in my area
have the best peaches
late in the season.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >