Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do women mean when they say "Educated"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Mustang065
Msg: 26
What do women mean when they say EducatedPage 2 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
^ Yeah thats what I ment to say.......................................
 balrog
Msg: 27
view profile
History
What do women mean when they say Educated
Posted: 12/6/2006 5:11:47 PM
I look at that request on a profile as a bit of a gold digger. You can get a degree in prison. It's just a piece of paper. A woman who wants a certain type of lifestyle. I'm not knocking her thinking, if thats what she likes. More power too her. You wouldn't believe my road in life if I told you, but it doesn't include a degree from any school. I'm self educated, in many ways.
 balrog
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2006 5:16:21 PM
Excuse me, but a degree and common sense aren't always the norm. I've known professors at major schools who were complete idiots.
 Naughty Zoot
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/6/2006 6:45:14 PM

They mean status. Otherwise they would specify intelligence.

Well, I personally never meant anything by financial staus. This forum has definitely opened my eyes. Instead of using "educated" as a euphamism for "not a dumba$$", I will just have to come out and say precisely what I mean. Thanks for the enlightenment.
 balrog
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2006 3:45:21 AM
If you saw Forrest Gump, stinkfish, and didn't think he was brilliant, I'd have to question your intelligence. Albert Einstein, didn't talk till he was 4. When he was 7, his 1st grade teacher said he was the dumbest child she'd ever seen. He also flunked out of college. He also got a divorce, that's the depressing one.
 balrog
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2006 4:13:56 PM
If you think the character of Forrest Gump didn't have intelligence, I'd have to question your intelligence. Forrest HAD all the answers if you've seen the movie. Stupid is as stupid does. Intelligence isn't complicated degree's filled with complicated words. It's the ability to break down complicated things into simple solutions. Hence, stupid is as stupid does. Your at a bar with your girlfriend, she's getting hit on by a drunk guy. He's 300lbs, tatoo's and all. What would Forrest do?
 balrog
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2006 4:32:52 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you on the plot statement. But if you watched the movie without that knowledge, what would it mean to you then? It is one of the greatest movies of all time. Plots in movies rarely drift from the staple, it's the characters that endear us to them.
 balrog
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2006 4:46:13 PM
Lol, Hobbes348. Probably so. But I think Forrest would have handled it differently.
 nightfly
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/9/2006 2:39:26 AM
Formal education experience means you can follow directions. Work for a boss. Figure out what the 'boss' wants, and perform for them. Our education system is made to pump out workers for the corporations, workers who are eager to please their employers. So, women who want an educated man want a man who who is trained to do what they are told to and be happy with that. I always get a kick out of hearing folks with doctorate degrees talk about their 'training'. I can't help but wonder if their 'trainer' gave them a treat when they performed correctly. Arf arf! Sit up! Beg! Roll over! Lick this! Hump that! Fix this! Make some more money for me to spend! I can't speak for anyone else, but I learned things by my own effort. No one 'trained' me. The vast majority of my teachers and professors were more into the power aspect of their position than concerned with the students learning anything.
 prettyinpink92
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/9/2006 1:48:34 PM
i think if you see that on a profile, the person means with a degree/ diploma of some kind - period - i myself request that on profiles i have posted.
What this REALLY means to me is that I would like to meet someone with intelligence, sensitivity, depth, someone who can converse about different topics and who likes the cerebral things in life as well as all the usual slap and tickle conventions.
I know as well as anyone, having a diploma doesnt mean you're not intelligent- my first husband is a very successful businessman with only a grade 10 education - but on a profile it is at least a starting point, and I think that is what profiles are for - starting...things evolve from there.
 ketch
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/9/2006 2:22:28 PM
Yes, you should get your degree, but not for work but for yourself. As for the question here are a number of answers

I havent finished my degree, so I don't know what my major is year. I find I have too many interests diverting me for instance, I recently became facinated by (you fill this in here). Did you know (You fill this in here)..

Thank you. I never graduated. I like to think of myself as well read. Recently I became facinated by (you fill this in here). Did you know (You fill this in here)..

My current obsession is (you fill this in here). Did you know (You fill this in here)..

Remember that wome use a degree in part as a sorting tool to weed out the dumb ones. If you can speak english and have intellectual interests you'll pass this test if you can show her that you do. If you start to discuss Baseball, Football, or Basketball instead, you'll flunk.

Ketch
 balrog
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2006 8:52:30 PM
All I know is Talladega Nights comes out on DVD on the 12th and I gotta have it. Help me Jesus! Help me Tom Cruise! You gotta laugh. Ain't teaching that at no universamatee. lol. I got em' all. Except Elf, it sucked.
 TheBigID
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2006 9:27:07 AM
I thought "educated" meant making 6 figures.
 colt8301
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/12/2006 4:43:30 AM
someone handsome with money. it clearly can't mean 4.0 gpa or masters or phd from harvard? does it? damn I'm I a real douche,lol.
 balrog
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 12/13/2006 6:37:24 PM
I'm one of those some college guys, I'm cool with that. The bills get paid.
 balrog
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2006 11:02:52 AM
I think a a man's path is different from one to the other. I'm a primal basic man. I'm a country boy at heart, growing up in KY and eastern TN. I've been molded by the events in my life as well as the education I have, which is still pecking away in night school when the chance comes. But I do try. I understand the importance of an education. But I also understand income is what an education is for. That is nice. I'd like to be rich. But I'd still be that country boy who opens doors for women, call me crazy. I read alot, ironically. Eistein was considered dumb, aloof, unable to focus, according to his teacher when he was 7. He dropped out of college. The worst one is, he also was divorced. So we're all pretty much screwed.
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/31/2011 11:47:01 AM
They mean at least a six figure income, and voted for Obama.

JRodriguez81
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/31/2011 3:53:26 PM

someone handsome with money.

This. Nothing else to see here folks!

/end thread.
 CompuG8r
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/31/2011 4:35:39 PM
They mean at least a six figure income, and voted for Obama.

^^^^^^Good answer, except for the little laughing emoticon at the end.

My guess is that this ^^^^^is exactly what the ladies who use "educated" are fishing for.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/31/2011 4:50:33 PM
If you have to ask.....
it doesn't apply to you.

Hope that helps.
 Sabrosura089
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/31/2011 4:59:33 PM
^^^^Bwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! Now that was funny, Stray Cat!!!!

OP: Oh, I dunno. It may mean someone that is well-read on worldly topics, can hold an intelligent conversation, traveled, etc............and with formal degrees "under his belt". However, I wouldn't put it pass some with regards to their financial status.
 oaklandish
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:02:22 PM

Please see post below-I goofed up and double posted when I realized I had a mistake in my original post.
Suffice it to say educated ( I have a college degree) doesn't mean I can follow directions :)
 oaklandish
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:03:45 PM
I have to go back to 2006 and agree with Sweet Sensations. I have dated men without a degree and some with PhDs. As I say in my profile he doesn't have to have college degree but he has to read and be educated as to the world around him. Personally I have found that I don't always like the college educated men I meet because some think they are too smart for common folks ( I worked on my master's degree but never finished for a few reasons). Some of the union men I have met through my involvement in my union, who don't have degrees, are some of the smartest, most involved, most creative men there are. There are also men who have degrees who choose to work in the trades and get their hands dirty.

And money- shoot- I do want someone who can pay his own bills, as I will pay mine, but I have never put much stock in rich men- they can have issues too- ones that money can't make go away.
 english lass
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:57:27 PM
Someone who can hold an intelligent and interesting conversation. Someone with interests that reach outside the realm of his own world. Someone who can write with 'good grammar' :) Someone who enjoys reading and learning for its own sake. Someone with a ready wit and quick understanding.

That's what I'd mean if I talked about an 'educated' man.

Sometimes it can mean someone who has achieved a high level of formal education (like a masters) and would thus be more likely to be a high income earner. Just a thought.
 karma1160
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/2/2011 7:50:40 AM
A person can be educated in many ways, they can be in the trades and read alot or have a passion for some subject.
The word "educated", to me means someone who is evolved socially, and isterested in life above and beyond meeting their immediate needs.
Someone who can and wants to look outside the box.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do women mean when they say "Educated"