Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do women mean when they say "Educated"      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 oaklandish
Msg: 47
view profile
History
What do women mean when they say EducatedPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Please see post below-I goofed up and double posted when I realized I had a mistake in my original post.
Suffice it to say educated ( I have a college degree) doesn't mean I can follow directions :)
 oaklandish
Msg: 48
view profile
History
What do women mean when they say Educated
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:03:45 PM
I have to go back to 2006 and agree with Sweet Sensations. I have dated men without a degree and some with PhDs. As I say in my profile he doesn't have to have college degree but he has to read and be educated as to the world around him. Personally I have found that I don't always like the college educated men I meet because some think they are too smart for common folks ( I worked on my master's degree but never finished for a few reasons). Some of the union men I have met through my involvement in my union, who don't have degrees, are some of the smartest, most involved, most creative men there are. There are also men who have degrees who choose to work in the trades and get their hands dirty.

And money- shoot- I do want someone who can pay his own bills, as I will pay mine, but I have never put much stock in rich men- they can have issues too- ones that money can't make go away.
 english lass
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/1/2011 8:57:27 PM
Someone who can hold an intelligent and interesting conversation. Someone with interests that reach outside the realm of his own world. Someone who can write with 'good grammar' :) Someone who enjoys reading and learning for its own sake. Someone with a ready wit and quick understanding.

That's what I'd mean if I talked about an 'educated' man.

Sometimes it can mean someone who has achieved a high level of formal education (like a masters) and would thus be more likely to be a high income earner. Just a thought.
 karma1160
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/2/2011 7:50:40 AM
A person can be educated in many ways, they can be in the trades and read alot or have a passion for some subject.
The word "educated", to me means someone who is evolved socially, and isterested in life above and beyond meeting their immediate needs.
Someone who can and wants to look outside the box.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/2/2011 8:10:25 AM

A degree is nice, but not required. He can just have a high school diploma (or eqivalent) and still be 'educated', as long as he's kept up with current events, reads news about science and other things like that at least occasionally, and -most of all- can spell and use proper grammar. It doesn't need to be perfect, but writing well makes one look a lot smarter right off the bat. I like a man from whom I can learn things and who can teach me things, without being arrogant about it.

I've met a fair number of people with uni degrees who have none of this.."he's kept up with current events, reads news about science and other things like that at least occasionally, and -most of all- can spell and use proper grammar.."

many do enough to pass the courses and get a degree, then figure that's all they need to know to get a job, and shut down 'learning' beyond the minimum required to keep the job.

Others with much less formal education are curious about their world, explore, and read a lot. Way too many people assume that "plenty of formal education = smart, less = dumb".

Despite the stereotypes it is hardly true that everyone who doesn't wear a suit & tie or lab coat to work is "dumb". If you think so live the rest of your life without plumbers and ask a PhD to come fix your overflowing toilets or backed up drains..lol

You can't instill a sincere desire of learning, as the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water, etc.
 totalazzhole
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/2/2011 8:12:50 AM

I thought "educated" meant making 6 figures.

that, plus wears a suit & tie to work and has no calluses on his hands or dirt under his fingernails, in fact, has baby-soft hands..
 larissan04
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/2/2011 9:00:39 PM
educated = a college degree, but common sense is vital, too...
 goodevening
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/3/2011 1:10:28 AM
Educated = money

able to hold a conversation = able to hold a conversation
 abelian
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/3/2011 5:42:27 AM

educated = a college degree

You are confusing education with having gone to school.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/3/2011 7:15:30 AM
someone who has pratical knowledge or intellect and/or intelligence?

This is what I mean when I say it. Someone who has some idea what goes on in the world, has at least a sixth grade understanding of spelling, grammar, and math, and a healthy dose of deductive reasoning and common sense. There are people with degrees that have no sense, and people without degrees that are very intelligent.
 fanciness
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/3/2011 9:09:06 AM
Someone intelligent with common sense. It really doesn't matter how they educated themselves.

I don't know how many men I've come across on this site who think a graduate degree means graduating from high school and with spelling and grammar skills of a 6th grader.
 HORSEFLY1234
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/12/2011 10:45:37 AM

When women list wanting an educated man, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean someone who has a degree in something, or someone who has pratical knowledge or intellect and/or intelligence?

And if you mean "Both", then which factor
I'll take this one, son.

It works like this~

Men try to attract the most attractive woman they can afford while

woman attract the most money/power/influence their looks command.

The way men "get the most attrative woman they can afford" is by going to school and getting a well paying job/career. So, if you want the hottest chicks, ya gotta go to school.
 ohenryx
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2011 2:00:30 PM
Some simply inherit.

Others just have a better idea. Bill Gates dropped out of school, never got a degree.

But in general, yes, "go to school" is your best bet.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/12/2011 2:45:21 PM
To me, ''educated'' means the ability to logically reason, have an inquiring mind and be a thinker.
The most ''educated'' man I know was self-taught.
 carolann0308
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 4/12/2011 5:35:15 PM
Educated, to me means a man that has knowledge of many different subjects and can appreciate art, music and history. I want someone I can learn from and with.
I know an Ivy League graduate that is absent minded and completely disorganised to the point that people think he's an idiot. I also know a guy that never finished college with an IQ of 152, he is brilliant and kind and very funny.
 OutMind
Msg: 62
Posted: 4/14/2011 12:02:08 PM
educated?

It means he reads the menu at McDonalds not just look at the pictures. It means he knows enough math to leave a proper tip on the restaurant (so he knows how to add past 10 percent). It means his topic of conversation beyond sports covers the arts (what is a good color for a pick up truck), literature (Field and Stream catalog will suffice), philosophy (do dogs have souls and do they go to heaven with their masters?).

That should about cover it. Right?
 mystique305
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2011 11:21:19 AM

A degree is nice, but not required. He can just have a high school diploma (or eqivalent) and still be 'educated', as long as he's kept up with current events, reads news about science and other things like that at least occasionally, and -most of all- can spell and use proper grammar. It doesn't need to be perfect, but writing well makes one look a lot smarter right off the bat. I like a man from whom I can learn things and who can teach me things, without being arrogant about it.

This.

I know many people with college degrees that are some of the most ignorant, small minded people I have ever met. Degrees are great, but what do they mean anymore, especially in this economy where it's hard for ANYONE to land a decent job? Everyone I know who went to college either did so for the pursuit of learning or to get a better paying job. You can get the former without college and you were supposed to only be able to get the latter by going. But that isn't the case.

I prize intelligence above all. Educated doesn't necessarily mean that you have to have been educated by someone else. Spelling, grammar, and the ability to hold an intelligent conversation without dropping it are much more important to me.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/15/2011 1:00:01 PM
My brother in law is a highly educated, well published, doctorate that I wouldn't let change a light-bulb....but, that doesn't make him a bad guy...in fact he's pretty good people to be around.
 OneHotMamaInAZ
Msg: 65
Posted: 5/9/2011 12:37:45 PM
For me, being educated can take many forms. I have a friend who never graduated from high school. He dropped out and joined the Army. One of his hobbies is reading.
He's read everything from Aristotle to shop manuals on car repair. He's one of the most intelligent men I know.
I also know a guy who spent years in college and grad school. He's an attorney, with a degree from Harvard. But, he has very little common sense and most people never guess he has a degree.
A degree is just a piece of paper, unless you actually acquired knowlege that you benefit from.
I think most people who use the term "educated" really mean "intelligent."
 Laha Math
Msg: 66
Posted: 5/9/2011 3:21:41 PM
What women should be asking for is a man who is "educatable" so he can be moulded into what she really wants. A man who is educated is going to be too clever to be moulded by anyone. He's going to win more arguments and fall for fewer ploys. He will get his way more often and leave her believing it was what she wanted. Beware the educated man. He rules.
 Drewski-
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/9/2011 4:32:20 PM
Educated means you better be smart and afford me,
 FMaj7
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/9/2011 6:19:28 PM
This is living proof people should be more specific in writing profiles. If the writer is interested in someone with a Masters degree or better they should specify that. It's one of vague requirements that might get a person passed over because the reader has to assume what level of education the writer meant when they say Educated.

I can speculate people that list Education just don't want dummies contacting them. The reader should be able to discern from an email quickly if the person is 'educated' enough for their needs.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 69
Posted: 5/9/2011 9:18:33 PM
'advanced degree'
its an easy box to check on a profile..... so I wouldnt put much faith in it beyond any other stat in there data set.... because you can write anything on there.... trust but verify; and if you want a PHD , as said earlier, you would have passed by Bill Gates.
 larissan04
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/2/2011 9:52:54 PM
i generally don't date men that haven't gone to college. i busted my but to get through school and education is very important to me. that being said i have known a few people in my life that are well read and knowledgeable without the degree, but this is and was an anomaly.
 Hotcakes88
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2011 10:51:24 AM
When I say "educated" I mean that I would like to have an intellectual conversation with you without having to buy you a dictionary or an encyclopedia. I don't mean that you have to have a degree or you have attended a post-secondary institution, etc. I interpret "educated" to meant that you have knowledge and the capability to discuss topics outside of what happened on Top Gear (although that doesn't mean that conversations about TV, movies, etc are bad - as long as that isn't all you have to talk about). While I do have a degree, I don't think that makes me better than other people. There are a multitude of ways in this world to become "educated" and focusing on whether somebody has a degree or not is a very limited viewpoint.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > What do women mean when they say "Educated"