Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 62
Do you consider Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Golf or Equestrian Sports?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
If a fit individual sweats while doing it, then its a sport.

Therefore golf, curling, bowling, darts, billiards, etc. are games. Gymnastics, skating events, etc. are sports.

Just my 2 cents.
 susan_cd
Msg: 64
Do you consider Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Golf or Equestrian Sports?
Posted: 3/29/2010 11:40:41 AM

To consider it a sport, all skaters should have to wear a standard figure skating costume

OK first of all, I can't believe I am discussing dress with the likes of you (ha ha ha... just some humour there). But you're kidding, right? By those rules, tennis, marathons and triathlons are not sports either.

Dunno about you, but I've never seen a marathon be finished ( or a tennis match or triathlon) THEN have the judges huddle together to decide who won the marathon/tennis match/triathlon.

My point was that an event whose winner is decided solely by the judges ( and not by who finished first, as in a triathlon or marathon) is hardly a sport when each competitor is judged after doing a different routine.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/29/2010 12:04:25 PM

If you don't think a person sweats while curling, than you've never done it.

Hasn't every Canadian curled? I know I have, and the physical exertion is akin to that of bowling. If you break a sweat, its highly unlikely that its due to physical exertion.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/29/2010 12:25:16 PM
But try playing a round in 4 hours walking a course and tell me you don't sweat.

Whats the temp outside? I am more prone to sweating while golfing when its hot out.

Edit - I'm not purposely trying to be combative to some of you. I'm making a generalization here. I even have a hard time calling baseball a sport for most of the 9 players on the field at anytime. lol
 FL CO
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 4/5/2010 6:52:21 PM
I consider Gymnastics, Figure Skating and Golf to be sports b/c the athletes train for years to be good at them and it is the person who is doing the competing

People train for years to be in the highly competitive entertainment industry. Music, singing, dance, etc. Are those sports?

I even have a hard time calling baseball a sport for most of the 9 players on the field at anytime. lol

The same can be said for football. If you breakdown the time someone actually plays the game, its not very much at all
 FL CO
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 7:56:55 AM
^^^I know that in football each play involves all the players to some extent. However throughout the game the actual amount of time any one player is actually putting forth an effort is pretty small.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 72
Posted: 4/6/2010 8:39:52 AM
Actual active playtime in a NFL game is 12-15 minutes. The rest of the clock time is the time that winds down before the next snap gets off. That 12-15 minutes includes both O and D so if you average it out then each player would be active for about 6-8 minutes per game.
 FL CO
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:21:00 AM
My point exactly. Not to mention that very few players play every play when their group is on the field.
 susan_cd
Msg: 74
Posted: 4/6/2010 9:44:36 AM

Also, figure skating judges do not huddle together. They judge separately. And, as I said before, there are no marks given for fancy dress.

Whether they huddle together or not, the point is that the outcome is decided solely by the judges, not by ( for example) who finished first or threw the furthest.

Then since the "fancy dress" should have no bearing on the outcome, skip the fancy dress, have all the skaters wear the same outfit.
 susan_cd
Msg: 77
Posted: 4/6/2010 6:30:38 PM

There are referees involved and some of their calls are very subjective

But the referees don't wait until the game is over ( whether it's because the time runs out as in football or the last out in baseball) then ignore the scoreboard & announce who the winner is.
 susan_cd
Msg: 79
Posted: 4/7/2010 12:40:41 AM

But the referees don't wait until the game is over ( whether it's because the time runs out as in football or the last out in baseball) then ignore the scoreboard & announce who the winner is.

And figure skating judges do?

The post was in response to someone comparing referees in sporting events to judges in figure skating.

My point was that the entire outcome of a sporting event such as football or hockey isn't decided by the referees after the game ends. Yes, a bad call by a referee can affect the outcome of such a game, but the game is still decided by which team has the most points scored when the time runs out. The football or hockey team doesn't play the game then at game's end stand around to see which team the referees give the win to.
 susan_cd
Msg: 81
Posted: 4/7/2010 6:21:58 PM

then clearly boxing, MMA, martial arts, etc, are not sports either.

I haven't watched MMM or martial arts matches so don't know how they're judged, but boxing can be won with a KO. They are also up against opponents when competing.

There's a difference between 2 people facing each other in a ring and a skater performing by themself ( or with a partner).

The figure skaters don't get on the ice with competing skaters & compete directly against them. They perform & when done the judges award them their points. Then their competition takes to the ice.
 susan_cd
Msg: 83
Posted: 4/19/2010 9:03:00 PM
^^^^ maybe the deciding factor of whether something is a sport or a game should be : "can you hold a beer in one hand as you play, or put your beer down between turns ?"... if the answer is yes, it's a game..
 FL CO
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2010 6:50:05 AM
That means that just about every major league "sport" is actually a game.
 FL CO
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2010 7:20:52 AM
^^^They also mentioned "between turns". You could definately drink a beer between turns in football with all of the down time they have. In honkey you could as well, but with less down time there wouldn't be as much time for it to settle and you might end up getting sick.
 susan_cd
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/21/2010 9:48:41 AM

^^^They also mentioned "between turns". You could definately drink a beer between turns in football with all of the down time they have

I only mentioned "between turns" because the previous post mentioned darts & snooker. Snooker you'd have to put the beer down to take your turn, but with darts you can keep it in your hand as you throw.

OK let's try again...

maybe the deciding factor of whether something is a sport or a game should be : "can you hold a beer in one hand as you play, or put your beer down between turns AND if you can put your beer down between turns BUT during the course of play you have to wear some sort of protective equipment ( helmet, cup, pads, etc) then it's a game.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/26/2010 5:42:12 PM
I think I agree with davdo the most...
Ok...this is NOT a new argument to me because my ex fiancee is a synchro coach..a dn I used to go to a ton of synchro meets. She hated me because I told her synchro is NOT a sport... I used to wacth her girls do an amazing routibne and somehow lose... its too subjective, and too dependant on individual perceptions and biases (theres always the threat of the 'Russian judges" lol) too much favoritism.
Certainly, in sports like MMA and boxing there are judges... but there is the distinct factor that in either of those sports a judge can and often is a non factor (and remember...both have judges AND referees).. the refs ensure the rules are followed, the judges count points and determine a winner. Many of those contests, especially the close ones, can and have on many occasions caused controversy (just like in hockey when the refs rely on Toronto to make a decision or the refs in football 'go upstairs') but in boxing and MMA... you can simply knock your opponent out... end of story.

To me...generally... a real sport has a definitive way of being won or lost. In Olympics, its who goes the fastest, who throws the farthest, jumps the highest, etc. Darts are more a sport than figure skating (although the training is distinctly more intense in figure skating)... youll never hear a dartist (if thats what they are) complain that they should have won because they had better technique. Golf IS a sport because its simple: he who puts the ball in the hole in the lest number of strokes wins. As is bowling... sports where a winner is decisive, there is physical proof of who did what and did it better, and rely minimally on outside influences, whether it be a judge or ref... who could have poor judgement or ulterior motives.
 FL CO
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2010 9:57:24 AM

Golf IS a sport because its simple: he who puts the ball in the hole in the lest number of strokes wins. As is bowling... sports where a winner is decisive, there is physical proof of who did what and did it better, and rely minimally on outside influences, whether it be a judge or ref... who could have poor judgement or ulterior motives.

So is putt-putt and skeeball sports? After all they're only miniature versions of the "sports" you mentioned.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 95
Posted: 4/30/2010 8:51:31 PM
By technical definition both putt putt and skeetball would be a 'sport' if they indeed stood alone... both still require some level of specific skill where a definitive 'winner' COULD determined... but are PART of the skills required within a sport

Is...hunting a 'sport'? or fishing?
How about equestrian 'sports'? That one pisses me off... I mean, the HORSE should be the one that gets the medal! What about horse racing? Harness racing? If being able to bet on something makes it a sport, what about grayhound racing?

I dont think any of those qualify (nor does cards, poker, scrabble, etc. as was previously mentioned) I think for the sake of this thread we are restricting our scope to PHYSICAL contests between people.. esp. sports where equipment and or objects (i.e. a ball, device - like an upright bar, weight, pole, ski, sled, bike, etc) are used to compete..'miniature versions' included (although kicking a ball thru an upright or slamming a basketball are 'parts' of a sport but not a sport in an of itself)... I would still consider putt putt more of sport than I would synchro
 susan_cd
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/1/2010 1:52:51 PM
Maybe in the judged sports ( like figure skating) participants should wear masks & not have their names or country given until after the scores are all tallied, just be contestant # 1, 2 etc ( or team1, 2 etc for pairs events). This may help eliminate bias by the judges.

Or the competitors can wear those funky suits with the sensors on, that convert motion ( by the person wearing the suit) to a CGI on a computer. Then let the computer judge whose performance was best.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/2/2010 9:25:03 PM

but each culture has its own definition

So I would disagree with Diem who was an Olympic idealist back when it was strictly for amateur athletes. I think by todays culture we would have to include sports where monetary remuneration is exchanged for those that 'play' for others enjoyment and entertainment.

Again... I think its only a sport where, regardless of refs, umpires, judges or whatever (whose primary function is to ensure fair play and the correct rules and NOT there solely to determine a winner, and is NOT the ONLY way to determine a winner), there is a way and an opportunity to clearly definitively measure and prove a clear cut winner... like who crosses the finish line first.

And maybe having the skaters wear some sort of suit that measures a preset number of tangible stats and data would help give a cler cut way for one to determine who performed a better routine in figure skating...numbers that cant be argued and are not reliant on personal opinion or subjectivity.
 susan_cd
Msg: 102
Posted: 7/2/2010 10:40:54 AM

I can be competitive at Monopoly does not make playing it a sport.

And yet they show poker tournaments on the sports channels
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >