Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FL CO
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Do you consider Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Golf or Equestrian Sports?Page 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Golf IS a sport because its simple: he who puts the ball in the hole in the lest number of strokes wins. As is bowling... sports where a winner is decisive, there is physical proof of who did what and did it better, and rely minimally on outside influences, whether it be a judge or ref... who could have poor judgement or ulterior motives.

So is putt-putt and skeeball sports? After all they're only miniature versions of the "sports" you mentioned.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 95
Do you consider Figure Skating, Gymnastics, Golf or Equestrian Sports?
Posted: 4/30/2010 8:51:31 PM
By technical definition both putt putt and skeetball would be a 'sport' if they indeed stood alone... both still require some level of specific skill where a definitive 'winner' COULD determined... but are PART of the skills required within a sport

Is...hunting a 'sport'? or fishing?
How about equestrian 'sports'? That one pisses me off... I mean, the HORSE should be the one that gets the medal! What about horse racing? Harness racing? If being able to bet on something makes it a sport, what about grayhound racing?

I dont think any of those qualify (nor does cards, poker, scrabble, etc. as was previously mentioned) I think for the sake of this thread we are restricting our scope to PHYSICAL contests between people.. esp. sports where equipment and or objects (i.e. a ball, device - like an upright bar, weight, pole, ski, sled, bike, etc) are used to compete..'miniature versions' included (although kicking a ball thru an upright or slamming a basketball are 'parts' of a sport but not a sport in an of itself)... I would still consider putt putt more of sport than I would synchro
 susan_cd
Msg: 97
Posted: 5/1/2010 1:52:51 PM
Maybe in the judged sports ( like figure skating) participants should wear masks & not have their names or country given until after the scores are all tallied, just be contestant # 1, 2 etc ( or team1, 2 etc for pairs events). This may help eliminate bias by the judges.

Or the competitors can wear those funky suits with the sensors on, that convert motion ( by the person wearing the suit) to a CGI on a computer. Then let the computer judge whose performance was best.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 100
Posted: 5/2/2010 9:25:03 PM

but each culture has its own definition

So I would disagree with Diem who was an Olympic idealist back when it was strictly for amateur athletes. I think by todays culture we would have to include sports where monetary remuneration is exchanged for those that 'play' for others enjoyment and entertainment.

Again... I think its only a sport where, regardless of refs, umpires, judges or whatever (whose primary function is to ensure fair play and the correct rules and NOT there solely to determine a winner, and is NOT the ONLY way to determine a winner), there is a way and an opportunity to clearly definitively measure and prove a clear cut winner... like who crosses the finish line first.

And maybe having the skaters wear some sort of suit that measures a preset number of tangible stats and data would help give a cler cut way for one to determine who performed a better routine in figure skating...numbers that cant be argued and are not reliant on personal opinion or subjectivity.
 susan_cd
Msg: 102
Posted: 7/2/2010 10:40:54 AM

I can be competitive at Monopoly does not make playing it a sport.

And yet they show poker tournaments on the sports channels
 MGMLION
Msg: 103
Posted: 7/2/2010 5:32:02 PM
Any game that is played with some sort of ball is a sport. Golf is a sport.
 justnancy
Msg: 104
Posted: 7/2/2010 5:55:59 PM
Hmmmm.... and somehow I think I keep losing some marbles from my brain. Marbles are like "little balls".

So does this mean that me loosing my mind IS a sport? LOL, never mind don't answer that.

I would consider Figure skating, Gymnastics, as long as it's at a competing level a sport. Golf is also sports.

Equestrian??? I wouldn't think the act of "riding a horse" on it's own as a sport, but if you are racing with horses than yes, I would think it is a sport.

However there are sports that require more "athletic" ability than others. I would think figure skating and gymnastics require much more "athletic ability" than golf or horse racing.

Really the term "sport" has such a broad spectrum to it, some people call a "recreation" a sport but I tend to think there should be some kind Physical nature involved. Playing monopoly and poker are games, riding a horse, swimming or just skating is a recreation and competition requiring physical activity is a sport.
This is the way Wiki defines sport:

A sport is commonly defined as an organized, competitive, and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. In a sport the key factors are the physical capabilities and skills of the competitor when determining the outcome (winning or losing). The physical activity involves the movement of people, animals and/or a variety of objects such as balls and machines. In contrast, games such as card games and board games, though these could be called mind sports, require only mental skills. Non-competitive activities such as jogging and rock-climbing, are usually classified as recreations.
 susan_cd
Msg: 106
Posted: 7/4/2010 11:48:58 AM

And yet they show poker tournaments on the sports channels

Being on tv does not make it a sport.

It isn't the fact that it's on TV I find amusing, it's the fact that it's on a sports channel.
 martialist_goku
Msg: 108
Posted: 7/4/2010 6:54:15 PM
true...there is a difference between 'sport' (eg. soccer) , 'entertainment' (eg. pro wrestling, roller derby) as well as 'hobby/past time'(Monopoly or other board games, horse shoes), as well as 'contests of wit and intelligence' ( eg. cards, chess, checkers). I think its important to know what each term really means before tryin to classify what is what. Ots like the English language...theres set rules and then bam - theres exceptions to those rules (like if you get paid to play its USUALLY a sport, but there are hobbies/games like chess and darts that can land you big $$ in tournaments as well)
 martialist_goku
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/5/2010 5:03:34 AM

So, I geuss we're debating personal opinions
yup...and why people get offended easily, because many attacks arent against whats posted, but the poster.

Or maybe..the dictiobnary definition is too vague and generic for our specific purposes here, es[p when the technical focus is on 4 specific sports. two of which are questioned (in part at least) because of their heavy reliance on judges opinions in determining a victor (and not a definitive tangible measurement of who wins or loses), golf... because I guess its as much a leasure and hobby as it a competitive soport, and equestrian...because the horse is the real athlete, and again, in some equestrian events, relies on judges.

of those 4 I pick #3 as the only real 'sport'

more from dictioarydotcom:
Hobby:
an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation: Her hobbies include stamp-collecting and woodcarving.

And maybe games like Monopolyz?

Also:
Contest:
–noun
a race, conflict, or other competition between rivals, as for a prize.
Not the sme as a sprt... but close..and in some cases can be synonymous with 'sport' (A spelling bee is a contest but not a sport, for example)

Pastime:
–noun
something that serves to make time pass agreeably; a pleasant means of amusement, recreation, or sport: to play cards as a pastime.
Synanonamous with a hobby AND a sport.

So again,. because dictionary definitions are so generic and over lap I think it IS a debate about personal; opinions about what is a 'sport' and why each person validates their opinion. Some might consider something to be a sport, because to them criteria like years of training, individuals involved are relevant considerations, or NOT consider something a sport because they feel its more of a 'competitive event'... and I think thats where we need to focus... are some sports really nothing more than competitive events primarily existing for viewer pleasure, and others considered sports because of the level of training and years of dedication?
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/5/2010 10:50:24 AM

of those 4 I pick #3 as the only real 'sport'

it's hard to see as a 'sport' (one requiring 'athleticism') one in which an obese chain-smoker like John Daly can be atop cotencer , i.e. golf.

they all do require skill & training, perhaps you could comapre to archery, target shooting, other sports which perhaps don't require huge degree of physical fitness, not to the degree of soem toehrs

has anyone here ever TRIED gymnastics? tough stuff man, I'd like to see you do an iron corss on the rings or execute handstands etc. on the parallel bars, etc., etc.

if you're saying they're not 'sports' becasue 'judging' is involved, doesn't taht pretty much apl;ly to most or all sports?

have you never seen a hockey, baseball, football, basketball, or soccer game, etc. that was decided by a "judge" - referee, umpire, etc. who made an obvisuly BAD call which was allowed to stand and affected the game's outcome? there are even judges in supposedly "pure" sports like running & swimming -to judge whether it was a'clean start', etc.

I'd say all of thse require deication, practice and skill, and especially the first 2, a very high degree of pysical fitness -msot top horse riders are also very physically fit, it takes a lot to handle a 1500 lb. horse. even most golfers are though theire are exceptions, as mentioned
 rdm834
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2010 10:54:54 PM
Andrea I have to admit you are so right Gymnastics is tough and a great workout. I have to say I use to date a gymnast and she use to beat me in wrestling almost everytime! I workout and play sports too so it is pretty impressive lol
 junipermoon
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2010 5:18:36 AM

I'd say all of thse require deication, practice and skill,
and especially the first 2, a very high degree of pysical fitness -msot
top horse riders are also very physically fit,
it takes a lot to handle a 1500 lb. horse.

not only that, but now race-riding is recognized as one of the
most dangerous professions in the world:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/one-in-620-jockey-falls-fatal-study-20100707-zz8z.html
 Coachgeo.
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 2:19:19 PM
Level of danger has ZERO part in the definition of Sport.* One example- Cheer-leading is rated as most catastrophic injury causing sportive activity world wide. Yet anyone with in depth knowledge of sportive movement science knows this injury rate is 300% avoidable. For example Acrobatic Gymnastics is also a partner stunt sport. Athletes execute much more complicated partner(s) acrobatic stunting feats with more height and rotation, as cheer and done so on the same mats; yet the injury rate is SIGNIFICANTLY lower than cheer. *Cheer is not a sport yet Acrobatic Gymnastics is.

Figure skating.. yes... it is a recognized sport by the International Olympic Committee, so that one is a given. Even if it wasn't an IOC sport it would still be a sport. It has athleticism (board & card games do not) and it has consistent rules across nation(s)*. Its athleticism being also "Artistic" in nature is irrelevant.

Gymnastics- Most would assume the answer is the same as above.... well it isn't. Yes THEY are sports. Confused yet.. odds are 75% of you do not know what "Gymnastics" is. There are SEVEN different international competitive "Gymnastic sports". What you see on TV is only a tiny fraction of "gymnastics" . International recognized Gymnastic sports include:
Acrobatic Gymnastics, Artistic Gymnastics (Men's , Woman's) Aerobic Gymnastics, Group Gymnastics, Tumbling and Trampoline Gymnastics, Rhythmic Gymnastics.

There are many other Gymnastic sports but each is isolated to participation by only one to a few countries. For example Japan has Men's Rhythmic gymnastics. It has ZERO relation to the international Sport of Rhythmic Gymnastics. It's closer to group Gymnastics mixed with Acrobatic Gymnastics and Artistic. It is a Group sport of dance, tumble and partner(s) stunting. Like Artistic, and Acrobatic Gymnastics it is Freaking AMAZING.

youtubeDOTcom/watch?v=4WnifvZ6ulQ (change DOT to proper internet syntax)

Golf- that one is on the fringe but by definition* it is a sport. Low levels of overall athleticism but it does require a highly refined muscular control and body to eye coordination. Rules are consistent nation(s) wide.

Equestrian- by definition* yes. requires athleticism and as far as I know it has basic single set of rules nation(s) wide.

* Recent FEDERAL USA court case adds to the definition of SPORT. It decided that a sport must also have clear consistent RULES of competition . For example Cheerleading has athleticism but the rules are NOT clear ("winner" is often made a vague thing by having so many categories of winners, there seems to be little to no losers.) Also the rules are very inconsistent with many many Cheer organizations each with their own set of rules.

Cheer is an Entertainment activity that is highly athletic. So is Circus and so is many forms of Dance. Each should not be valued less than a "SPORT" and it is shameful that they are.
 Coachgeo.
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 2:29:27 PM
Sports which require scoring or crossing a finish line are more pure than those where judges are involved.
PURE- Sorry that is "opinion" thus irrelevant. As to
Judges tend to favor the athlete who won the last major tournament.
you obviously know ZERO about the judging process. It is highly scientific. For example in Sport-Arts (any of the forms of Gymnastics, Figure Skating, Acrobatic Ski and Snowboarding) where SCORES are determined by judgments; are determined by analyizing on the fly such things as body shape. Example bent leg being X number of degrees out of line, such as a leg bent at 30+ degrees receives a lower score than same skill performed with legs bent at 15-29 degree. Also the number of judges used and the mathematical process used by most judgment sports to create a "SCORE" nearly eliminates bias of any kind.
 Coachgeo.
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 2:36:53 PM

Sports which require scoring or crossing a finish line are more pure than those where judges are involved.
PURE- 99.99% of people would also call boxing a PURE sport. Same for Contact Martial Arts. History of sport would support it in the ranks of PURE. So this blows your idea of PURE out of the water since these are judged sports (did the blow land or not, where did it hit, how much did it APPEAR to be a solid hit (this last one is most scientific measure with judges trained to spot reactions of athlete to determine Solidness as well as other factors to look for)
 Coachgeo.
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 2:54:48 PM

Any game that is played with some sort of ball is a sport. Golf is a sport
LOL
Dude.... I hope your brain can think at a more intelligent level than that. Last I heard "Beer Pong" is a "GAME" not a sport.
 Coachgeo.
Msg: 119
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2011 3:14:49 PM
What this thread truly does is expose affects of the American Ball Sport Monopoly. Monopolies by definition exist and grow by eliminating the competition. This monopoly does both intentionally (NFL Play 60, Punt Pass and Play etc.) and unintentionally (University Athletic Directors (AD's) decisions on sports to drop) is affectively removing all but ball sports from the MINDSET of the American People and the sport buildings of America.

For example.... Univ. AD Drop sports to save a buck. Ties of NCAA to Ball sport monopoly have created a mindset that tends to make all AD's biased to ball sports, so it is Sport Arts, (Artistic Gymnastics, Diving etc.) that go first, then others (track, swimming, water polo, wrestling, fencing...). Yet business statistics show if non ball sports were promoted at equal level of ball sports the univ. sport system overall would equally be as profitable as they are now if not more.

Dropped sports at a Uni. makes a HUGE affect on thousands upon thousands of children. You see what 99.9% of you do NOT understand is that every dropped Univ. sport ALSO means future physical education teachers will receive little to no skills, games and drills about that sport to pass on to their future students. Students who are YOUR CHILDREN and YOUR GRAND CHILDREN!! It also significantly tends to grow the mindset bias purported by the Ball sport monopoly. Not intentionally.... but it does.

80% of all Physical Education teachers with degrees received in the last 10 years and forward in the future have a knowledge base of teaching skills that improve play ONLY in ball sports. By 2015 100% of all graduating PE teachers will have ZERO "strong usable " skills to teach anything but ball sports and/or sports that improve ball sport skill. (Track might get some fairly good teaching cause it helps soccer and football for example)

Yep... your kids get an immensely lopsided education at PE now. Your future little Olympic champion will never know it cause he/she got stuck in a ball sport; as only an above average player, with no opportunity to find out his/her love of sport and natural talents fell elsewhere. Their natural talents and future Gold medals in a sport got hijacked by the ball sport monopoly.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >