Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HeavyThumb
Msg: 23
BowiePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Sorry about invading the UK forums as I live in Canada, but I couldn't help noticing this thread.
Bowie is one of the most influencial artists in the past forty years.
He's been constantly 10 years ahead of his time.
"Space Oddity", already mentioned a few times, is a classic.
"Changes" (Lyrics provided above) is another.
Fame, Golden Years, Ziggy Stardust, Young Americans, Let's Dance, are all instantly-recognizable hits.
The man's creativity was and is beyond belief.
His live shows were incredible, and he set trends both onstage and in the studio that are being imitated to this day.
Things he was doing in the 70's would still be considered avant-garde.
Bowie is one of the true giants of rock history, ranking alongside legends like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.
As a musician, I respect his ability, creativity, and integrity.
As a person, I appreciate the sheer spectacle of his performances.
 kind of blue
Msg: 26
Bowie
Posted: 9/15/2006 3:15:19 AM
Canadian here, big Bowie fan. I agree that his best moments were in the 70's, no question about that. My personal favourite album is "Station to Station", the title track is brilliant funk and there is an absolutely gorgeous song called "Word on a Wing", I think it's called. Check it out! Life on Mars I also love, umm.. Heroes, a little song called "Sound and Vision" on "Low"..too many to list..he's a genius, no question.
 Gut_Reaction
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 11/21/2007 2:10:04 AM
Hunky Dory is one of my favourite albums ever, probably not the most popular o his many but for me it is superb.
 OBird
Msg: 48
Bowie
Posted: 11/22/2007 7:38:06 AM
I love classic Bowie, saw him at Glastonbury.

Me too, Blueskies! I have to say I was more than a little awestruck when I realised that HE was standing only a few yards from me on the Pyramid!
I had a desperate crush on him as a teenager, and it seems to have not completely faded....

Favourite tracks? Hard to say. Although Five Years and Changes have to be in the running......

vlad dracul
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 12:04:18 AM
Well sad news about The Thin White Duke today. He was only 11 year aulder than me. Through listening to the Jones boy i also started listening to The New York Dolls, The Stooges, The Velvet Underground, Lou Reed, John Cale, Nico et al.

Sort of lost a wee bit of interest when punk music came along. It was new, brash and in your face. Then Joy Division and The Smiths came along and Bowie was consigned to the cupboard. Although i did purchase Scary Monsters album and also the Heathen album.

Lately i seen the clip for the song Lazarus which is on the recently released Black Star album.

I thought the geezer looked well knacked. And the lyrics now make a bit of sense. Well now i know why, he had the big C. The video to the tune is well dark.

But anyway cheers for the good times geezer

Lazarus

Look up here, I’m in heaven

I’ve got scars that can’t be seen

I’ve got drama, can’t be stolen

Everybody knows me now

Look up here, man, I’m in danger

I’ve got nothing left to lose

I’m so high it makes my brain whirl

Dropped my cell phone down below

Ain’t that just like me

By the time I got to New York

I was living like a king

Then I used up all my money

I was looking for your ass

This way or no way

You know, I’ll be free

Just like that bluebird

Now ain’t that just like me

Oh I’ll be free

Just like that bluebird

Oh I’ll be free

Ain’t that just like me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y-JqH1M4Ya8
 holby
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 12:24:30 AM
Not really my cup of tea
Liked some of his songs
Gene genie
Starman
 Jo van
Msg: 53
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 2:42:10 AM
Thanks for bumping this Vlad.
A very sad start to the day for me, the only other "celeb" death which has ever caused me to shed a tear, was Lennon.
Bowie was my favourite artist, at a favourite time of my life.

Me and a mate (Who sadly died too, in 2012) were sort of "groupies" right from the start.
Saw him at Oxford Poly in about 1972, and there was hardly anyone there, they were letting people in for free.
Saw him 4 times altogether.
I feel like a part of my personal history just died.

My thoughts are with his family, and all those who knew and loved him.
A sad loss.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 3:21:45 AM
Here we are agreeing a wee bit too much oor jo. The festive spirit must have got to us.

Never seen the geezer live. The first ever gig i attended was Mick Ronson when he toured playing Slaughter On 10th Avenue album.

The link i have put up here contains photies of Bowie at the empire theatre. £1 to get in. By the way its a site worth looking at like. It's like a blast from the past. All the concert venues in Edinburgh from around the early 70's through the punk era. Tells you who played where, who the support acts were, ticket stubs, flyers and posters and photies from some shows.

Ac/dc £2.50 for a ticket. Youll be familiar with john otway and wild willy? Details of there show at tiffanys.

Lou Reed who was hours late because he was guzzling bottles of gin in the caley hotel. Touring the berlin album.

But i digress. Some boss photies of Ziggy on the link page though.

Enjoy.

http://www.edinburghgigarchive.com/page9.htm
 Jo van
Msg: 55
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 3:45:17 AM
I told you before, John Otway and Wild-Willie-Barret were the house band at the "Oranges and Lemons" (In St Clement's", naturally), circa 1977. Entrance was free.
My mate John (now deceased) was going out with one of the backing singers of the other band; "Ken Liversausage", she wore a black bin-liner, and the 'finalé' was squirting a long balloon, full of shaving foam, all over her.

I still have "Slaughter on 10th Avenue", on vinyl, of course,
Ronson was a guitar legend. (One of the shortest "LP's" ever, one side is only about 20 mins)

We had the haircuts, the shiny clothes, and the platform boots.
I have hung-on to a metallic, lime-green leather 'bomber-jacket', I wore back then.
-I think it's about a 34" chest!
I was 6'8" in the boots. I must have looked like some enormous alien stick-insect! (Speed, instead of food, will do that to you! We liked to stay-up all-weekend back then, and I worked nights at the factory, so finished work Friday morning, and the next shift wasn't until Monday night, and during the Miner's Strike, only three nights!)
I think I saw Bowie and Roxy Music at the Town Hall too, and the New Theater, and finally, (I think) at Earl's Court.

I suppose it happens to us all, eventually....
It's still a hard day for me.
Working 12-8 at the moment. Gotta run!
 vlad dracul
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 8:04:27 AM
Aye it's a major loss in popular culture that happened today. I liked some of the tunes from pre Space Oddity days.

Here be Davy Jones and the Lower Third.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BgVfAkIOTOo

The London Boys, The Gospel According To Tony Day. The sort of child killing themed Please Mr Gravedigger. All on the deram anthology.

I liked The Man Who Sold The World album. Especially She Shook Me Cold.

Credit where it is due to Tony Visconti and the mighty Mick Ronson oh and Brian Eno for their contributions.

I'll bet that in hooses the world over Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars album will be banging. I have two vinyl copies of that. One with the inner sleave with lyrics. Also the gatefold sleave vinyl Diamond Dogs.

Incidentally oor jo i have the compilation album Aylesbury Goes Flaccid (on vinyl) featuring AND autographed by the mighty Ken Liversausage. Gooseberry Puss be their track.

Aye the soundtrack to my teens died the day.
 Tayfire
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Bowie
Posted: 1/11/2016 10:45:44 AM
My Fav album is Hunky Dory, Life on mars, Queen **** etc. Had Hunky Dory, Diamond Dogs, Aladdin Sane, Pin ups,
Scary Monsters and Super Creeps on cassette at the time and Let's Dance on 12".
Also bought The Jean Jeanie on 7" when it came out in the 70's. R.I. P.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >