Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BlueShirtBabe
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Political BandsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I find early REM's music to be political.. And I love their stuff... Matthew Good is also very political and his stuff is awesome also....
 Thatguy67
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Political Bands
Posted: 11/27/2008 5:25:43 AM
One of the most political bands of the last 20 years has been Rage Against The Machine.

pete_simply_pete
Msg: 20
Political Bands
Posted: 11/27/2008 4:55:14 PM
Some of the most outspoken political musicans as of the last decade has been underground hip hop. Guys like Immortal Technique, Audible Mainframe, K'naan, Solillaquists of Sound, Aesop Rock, The Blend, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

So many people here knock hip hop but everyone of them is ignorant to the true brilliance in each of these artists I've just labeled.
 just because in nc
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Political Bands
Posted: 12/13/2008 2:29:04 PM
want to listen to a political band, listen to
"ANTIBABLAS AFROBEAT ORCHESTRA"...
check them out on youtube
 Tisha Mc
Msg: 23
Political Bands
Posted: 12/15/2008 2:28:52 AM
First off, to post #2, Bono is not Catholic. He is protestant.
Next, while I do agree that Bono is becoming very annoying with his political side, it does nothing to change my mind about U2's music. Music should be about music and how it makes you feel and how you are able to relate to it. It has nothing to do with the artist's life or how much you like them. Are you going to hate Van Gogh's paintings just because he had many problems? It doesn't make sense. Plus it is good, in a way, for an artist to be outspoken about their causes. Maybe they don't donate as much as you think that they should. But they raise awareness for others to donate. You probably don't donate as much as others think you should. But what have you done to make others aware of your cause. It all goes back to judging yourself before you judge others. Yes, I'm annoyed by Bono sometime. But I'm also annoyed by those people who diss him for not giving enough of his own money, when they haven't given a cent. Maybe he didn't need a yacht with a bowling alley. But you probably didn't need that TV with cable. You kids probably didn't need that new iPod. Everybody sees extravagance in different ways. To me, middle class should be donating more and quit driving those SUVs. To others economically below me, I should be donating more of my time and quit buying movies. It's all perspective with who's not giving enough. So, before you go dissing everybody else and their donations, look at what else you could be doing.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 26
Political Bands
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:34:08 AM
U2 has been political since they began way back when. It has always been entrenched in many of their songs. My favorite song of all time is ''Pride in the name of love"....

Most musicians at one time or another, will be touched by world events and share their feelings in song. Look at Marvin Gaye with "What's goin on"....The guys who all got together for Band Aid, Live Aid, the rockers against Apartheid, etc etc, the list goes on, especially when you look back on the late 60's, early 70's. There was social conscience in music. And still some people have that today. I prefer that people have social conscience, and though I may not agree with their philosophies, at least they have brain enough to think and make choices. And voice their opinions when things go wrong.

Rap was built on the principle. Early rap had messages about what was happening in the street....now of course it's all about getting laid and doing drugs....having a good time.

It's usually the big corporate powers that be that silence that sort of thing these days, so I am glad some of the music with message still gets through and that the artists are not afraid to voice their opinions....Art has always been about self expression and self awareness, and of celebrating what is right as well as what is wrong with the world.
 Bellydanza
Msg: 27
Political Bands
Posted: 1/17/2009 6:35:43 AM
The story i heard was that Bono had both one Catholic parent, and one protestant. So it seems we've all heard something different. What matters to me is he actually gives a damn and isn't sitting behind some ivory tower in hollywood, or that he isn't out clubbing everynight hoping for the paparazzi to stalk him so he can get his photo in Us Weekly or be on TMZ embroiled in some scandal.
 Tisha Mc
Msg: 28
Political Bands
Posted: 1/17/2009 11:30:15 PM
His father was Catholic and his mother was Protestant. But he was raised Protestant and that is what he is today. You're right, it doesn't really matter what religion he is, whenever he's in the news or a magazine it's about something goood. He draws attention to causes that he cares about, not to himself or his antics.
 _Icon_
Msg: 29
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 12:32:37 AM
Bono, of U2 band, is a Catholic

Bono is a proddy.

I've always been a fan of the Dead Kennedys. You can't get much more political than Jello Biafra.
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 30
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:00:38 AM
Back in the 80's every punk band, including DOA, hated Reagan. They all had the flyers with Reagan with the picture from the killers on it.

There are still punk bands out there that are doing to whole freedom from douchebag politicians and corporations thing.

See:
Aus Rotten
Leftover Crack
Behind Enemy Lines

...and I lost my train of thought. I should be able to make a list a mile long... but today... cant brain...
 briargate
Msg: 31
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 8:13:06 AM
Well, Rage Against the Machine wouldn't be half as f-ing funny without their pretentious, white boy, ghetto justice sensibilities. I mean, they were so ridiculous it was just over the top. Love their music. By the same token Midnight Oil is just as pompous, ill-informed, and painfully stupid. But they can write some great music. In fact, a friend of mine liked them so much that's all he had. Seriously. The weekend he died, as I drove his truck home I found a god damned Midnight Oil tape in the cassette player. Of course I had to crank that shit up.
 junipermoon
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 9:22:36 AM
long live the protest song.

as long as pete seeger remains above ground, sardonic commentary will prevail.

i sincerely hope a worthy pair of hands can carry that torch when seeger passes. or maybe he'll outlive all of us.
 Brutus-HFX
Msg: 33
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 5:05:54 PM
Dead Kennedys rule. I got some original pressing LP's and 45's here. The **** Nazi Sympathy 45 came with the armband!
 Mr. Blblblbl
Msg: 34
Political Bands
Posted: 1/18/2009 6:07:21 PM

I've always been a fan of the Dead Kennedys. You can't get much more political than Jello Biafra.

True, but Jello has become a wee bit paranoid. He's gotten too much into the conspiracy theories. I remember a few years back he did a spoken word tour and after about an hour I was like, "Ok dude! I get it! These guys are corrupt! When I save up enough money to buy a whole bunch of tanks and fighter jets, I'll attack them for you. Now can you please sing me a little 'California Uber Alles' or something?"

But I don't mind politics in music. In my early and mid teens, it was politically based songs that first drew me to bands like Megadeth, Metallica, and Anthrax. And it was Lars' stance against Napster that pushed me away from Metallica. He should have kept his politics in his music instead of telling me I was some sort of b*stard scum for downloading his songs.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Political Bands
Posted: 5/19/2009 5:13:56 AM
Peter Garrett, formerly of Midnight Oil, is now Australia's environment minister. He rejoined his old bandmates a few months ago to do a charity show in aid of victims of those bushfires.

LhiannanShee
Msg: 36
www.stayhuman.org
Posted: 5/19/2009 10:20:22 AM
Michael Franti & Spearhead is probably my favorite band of all time. Their lyrics are very political... which is why I think they've never quite made it mainstream, but have such a huge following anyway-- and give the most amazing live shows. Franti even traveled to Iraq, Palestine and Israel to explore the human cost of war with a group of friends, some video cameras and his guitar on his "I Know I'm Not Alone" documentary. It takes balls to go visit soldiers on both sides of the fence and sing them your anti-war songs!

He's also a huge Obama supporter.... and did a pretty kickin "Obama Song":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd9xU8cw1JE

I dig it when an artist cares passionately about REAL issues, and the music isn't just all fluff.
 J_in_SD*
Msg: 37
Political Bands
Posted: 5/19/2009 10:50:19 AM
I've noticed a lot of political bands are dissolved. When, in the course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another...
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >