Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 msquared
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Differences between Americans and CanadiansPage 6 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

The forums here seem to focus on the negative USA affairs and if we want to participate/interact on forums, those are the topics for discussion. What's strange is the threads seem to be started either by a Canadian or liberal American. The Republican and/or Third Party belief does not carry much of a presence here.

Things aren't as negative to the US as you think. After reading this post, I checked the front page of this particular forum. There were 22 threads. Of them, nine could be viewed as criticism of the United States. Of these nine, it would be a stretch to consider three of them as criticism, and four of the others are definitely focused on the Bush government. Three of the threads could be considered critical of liberalism, and two of those would be a stretch to consider it so. And finally, two of the threads were critical of Canada.
 msquared
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Differences between Americans and Canadians
Posted: 1/2/2007 6:39:41 AM
Buzzard, please give us a cite to back up your claims.
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/2/2007 10:02:10 AM
"the differences between us as people"

We're catching up to the Americans, but they're still amply in the lead for obesity. I'd like to think we're more health conscious on average, but, I'm not so sure. My perspective is warped, as I'm in a tourist destination city, so tend to see lots of examples of American obesity taken to extremes (I've concluded, that healthier Americans like to travel less than the obese ones, or, the obese ones outnumber the healthy ones).

If we're talking as a people (our nations as a whole):

Our political systems are very different at the highest levels. The consequences of that difference have impacted the 'common man' (it's a 'grass roots' level phenomena): Americans focus more than we do on the man in power instead of the office. I suspect, they think the same of us.

Would only a third country really notice something like that fairly? I suggest natives from France or Germany, would render a fair enough assessment, as they'd not have our problem of trees obscuring the forest.

The U.S. appears to be ruled pretty much by lobbyists. I'm wary of our country's following that lead by appearing to allow our own corporate lobbyists (many of which represent branches of American corporations with a 'controlling' interest) to have more influence with our government. Corporations have too big an edge over various 'rights' groups already, imo. I treasure Canada's present 'difference' on this score, and hope we retain it.

Certainly, our crime rates lag that of the Americans, by twenty years or so. Which isn't saying much, but, it's something.

[apologies for duplicating any others' identical thoughts already expressed here, but, in my role as newcomer to this topic, I'm responding directly to the OP's #1 post, as the forum guidelines suggest, near as I can make out, and haven't read the other posts yet]
 msquared
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 8:24:41 PM

To msquared: Glad too......Softwood industry....try these:

Looked through them. So we are supposed to believe the Canadian lumber companies are practicing unfair business because of the accusations of US competitors? Especially being as almost every ruling made so far in this issue has been in favor of Canada?

And being as you made no mention of the other claims you made earlier, does that mean you are retracting them?
 mungojoe
Msg: 51
Posted: 1/2/2007 9:07:17 PM
Buzzard, please give us a cite to back up your claims.

I too would be interested in seeing your evidence for this.

I am not sure how you can justify allegations of 'business immorality' on the terms you have mentioned.

Specifically, how can you justify an allegation of "dumping diseased cattle" when there are only 6 confirmed cases of BSE in the entire country compared to the volume of live cattle and cattle products especially when the US Agriculture Dept. is notorious for its lax testing.

The issue of 'defective parts' for space related projects seems to fly in the face of the overwhelming praise NASA and the US government has had for Canadian contributions.

The only claim for 'dumping' of softwood relies solely on the difference in the manner in which the two countries manage their natural resources. To claim 'dumping' because Canada has a system of determining stumpage fees which is not the same as that used in the US is disingenuous at best. Since when is the US vision of how other countries manage their resources (usually carefully calculated to provide maximum benefit to US companies at the expense of other nations) the only right and correct way to do things. I hate to break it to you but, every nation has the inherent right to determine its resource management policies according their own interests, over and above what the US would prefer. The simple facts of it are that there is a bi-lateral treaty in place (NAFTA) that the US has violated (rulings invariably favour Canada) and the WTO rulings have overwhelmingly supported the Canadian position more than the US position.
 msquared
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:15:32 PM
So, to accept your argument, we have to take the competing companies' word about unfair Canadian business dealings, and your word about the rest. Sorry, not going to happen.
 mungojoe
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:37:05 PM

One of the first cases tried by the NAFTA tribunal was decided in the US favor by a panel of 5 judges, at least 2 of which were Canadian who ruled in favor of the US. They determined that Canada was sibsidizing the softwood industry but that the US was placing too high a tariff on it......but they were subsidizing. And it still goes on. It is sold below cost on US soil, Canadian taxpayers making up the difference.

It is interesting how you make your determination of immoral business practices on the part of Canada compared to the US on the basis of a single ruling, a ruling which was subsequently overturned, by the way while ignoring all the other rulings and the fact that the US decided to apply its' own domestic rules (which have no bearing on the treaty obligations) over and above its' duly negotiated and ratified treaties (isn't there an article in the US Constitution which obligates the US to observe its' treaties?).

You still have not addressed the "dumping diseased cattle" point and your only support for the "component parts" issue is to take your word for it.

Perhaps you can clarify those some more.
 msquared
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2007 11:43:01 PM

Accept it or don't, I don't care one way or the other.....an opinion is still just an opinion.

Except when it is a fabrication.

But I know from personal experience, having spent a great deal of time in both countries that I would not date a Canadian woman, will not enter into anymore financial arrangements with anyone there and really would prefer to spend my time and money in any other country.

How fortunate for us.
 msquared
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2007 8:29:41 AM

To msquared:(Except when it is a fabrication.) And I would lie about it why?

I don't know you, so I can't answer that. Being as you won't, or more likely can't, come up with anything substantial to back up your claims, though, it seems unlikely that your claims are real. Until you do so, it seems obvious that you are just under the bridge, waiting for billy goats to cross, and thus should be ignored. Sort of like this:
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 57
Posted: 1/6/2007 8:54:59 AM
Much of our TV content is from American channels, so we cannot help but feel and share American views on many issues.

As to 9/11, I along with many Canadians, had the horror of watching, live, the events unfold in New York City that morning. It's not a memory we'll ever lose.

Seeing it live, first one tower and the puzzlement at such a catastrophe happening, and then only minutes later, seeing the other tower struck, followed by their both collapsing into rubble, one after the other, clearly with thousands being taken to their deaths.

The horror then sunk in that there was no question of it being deliberate.

The reverse however, is true to a much lesser extent. Only a few of our programs, are seen by Americans.
 ponygrl™
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/7/2007 8:21:46 PM
i completely agree with late...............i'm an american, born and raised in pennsylvania. the americans lost track of everything that our four fathers gave us......

this is something that i posted in a pennsylvania thread.....

"what if..............we can turn back time to a time without war, without prejudice, without all of the political issues that this country has today...would this world be a better place?

without war we would have peace...peace within out hearts and within our minds...there will be no violence, no robberies, no anger, and no hate. without prejudice we would have pride...pride within ourselves, pride for our country, and pride to call each other friend. without all of the political issues we would be at peace with our government, there will be no wars against other counties just to prove which country is stronger of the two, of all. without political issues we would not have to worry about war, violence, robberies. without political issues our country would have more pride...all countries would have pride.

this country has turned into something that i've never dreamed of it ever becoming. in order to bring this country...the united states or any country...we, the people should all work together to build our countries to be a better place. a place that we've all grown to love years ago. we should all stand hand in hand to help rebuild what was so rudely swept away from us over the years. what ever happened to "we the people, for the people?" i remember back in high school, back in junior high, back in elementary school in american history being taught the "constitution of the united states" and the "declaration of independence". growing up i've seen everything being swept away from me, from you, from everyone. i honestly feel as if we should all work together to take back what was once given to us from out four fathers or did everyone forget about that?"

the difference between america and canada is i feel as if the canadians to stand by each other and for each other. i'm not sure about any issues where war is concerned but i'm most certain that they would be for peace. the united state of america's government is not for the people....they're for themselves and from what i understand from talking to some canadian friends of mine, canada and the canadian government is for the people. now, i just wished that the american government can learn some lessons from the canadian government i might learn to grow to love my country but until then i don't. i live in my country only because i was born and raised here, i have family here...if i had no one here then i would love to go to a place that's loved by one and all.
 kabiosile
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 1:41:47 AM
I think the biggest difference is that candians are often much more liberal both socially and politically. They didnt seem to be infected as much by puritain thought and insanity.

The sadest thing from american POV other than the above stated you have MUCH better taste in beer!
 kabiosile
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 1/9/2007 2:33:49 PM
I have noticed in my travels that no matter what country I went to the common people of any country are good people. It is the governments of ALL countries that are full of rotten peoples. This is not saying everyone in government is rotten. I am saying that government is where the problems start. The differences of people of any nation is merely cultural. We all wish the same common things of life. How we go about our day to day living is slightly different and the way we view the world may differ. In the end we all seem to seek happiness, freedom and a somewhat secure place to exist.

Heres writting to you from mars montreal!
 Jiperly
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/12/2007 12:07:29 AM
Canadians remove their shoes when entering a persons or their own home- something i've been told isn't the same in the states- and Canadians generally get our Milk from bags, not cartons
 kabiosile
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/13/2007 8:57:45 AM
^^^ Is there a place you can bare other ASSets as well as breasts while chiefing a rather large left handed cigarette?

Love candians, I think if I was to try to live there I would move to BC. Like the rest of it but, the climate there is more suitable for one such as I. I have a hard time living more north than say Florida.

This brings me to my other difference I would love to add. The WEATHER is VERY different.
 mungojoe
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/14/2007 6:33:46 PM

There is no better country the the USA, there maybe be some that are prettier or ones with more history, but no other place offers you the collective freedoms and opprotunities as we do. That cant not be argued.

This is the sort of thing that leads to comments of arrogance.

Since the topic is Canadian/American differences I ask you to show me a freedom or opportunity available in the US that does not have a corresponding one in Canada let alone one sufficient to class the US as a better country than Canada.
 Barton Emerald
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:07:16 AM
One difference I've seen between America and Canada is that the laws that protect and the laws that benefit the disabled are better in the US. I would have thought that they would have been better in (slightly) kinder, gentler Canada, but not so. This is according to a blind friend of mine, as he sees things clearer than I do on that score.

I used to say that us Canadians are the same animal as Americans, although politically we are 5 - 10 years behind them, depending on which area you live in Canada. However, with slimey Meeester Harper at the helm, we're rushing to be the same as the US at a greater pace. To quote Deadwood, Meeester Harper is a Canadian C-c-s-cker!

Canadian corporations would love to be just as greedy and rich as American ones. And most of the people here, like there, want available cheap buffets and plastic Wal-Mart garbage, and are willing to let the poorer people get poorer, to get and maintain that. Eventually, if a Canadian has to give up his/her healthcare to be able to give that tax money to the corporations instead so that the corporations can still 'afford' to supply us like that, he/she will do that. Sad.
 gentalltheway
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 2/6/2007 9:11:33 AM

both Americans and Canadians come to teach, and I've heard some conversations between Americans and Canadians where the American seemed to assume that Canadians disliked Americans. From the comments I read online sometimes, I'm not totally surprised that an American who hadn't had much contact with Canadians before would think this.

I have worked for a long time in the US and had conversations with many Americans who wanted to know why we disliked them so much. I always come back with the same answer...Where did you get that from? And the answers are always the same..."well that's what I heard" or "a friend of mine experienced this first hand" which if you talk with his friend, he or she will then say that they heard it from another friend.

Sure some will dislike Americans just as some will with Canadians. Why? A trip that went wrong...a lost argument turned bad...my father is stronger than your father... Who knows really. Bottom line, it happens just as it will with your own neighbors but when it's between people from two countries, some tend to generalize.

Here's a perfect example: I was in the Washington/Idaho region and if we had a problem with someone from the southeast, some employees will automatically call him or her a certain name. Hell we do it all the time in Canada with Quebec and other provinces...Ohh Quebec is also a province Hey, most Americans I have met, didn't had a clue of what our provinces are. Funny (to us) but true.

Dumb? You betcha but that's how a vast amount of people around the globe are.

Bottom line, Canadian do not dislike Americans at all but we definitely don’t agree with what your government is doing.

If you take the time to Google that issue, you will realize that a vast majority of the world dislikes America right now because of your government policies. Also, no matter what the government does, it always reflects on it's citizens. After all you voted them in.
 readyfordating
Msg: 79
Posted: 2/20/2007 8:50:28 AM
Montreal,
When I saw the title of the post I falsely assumed it would be another "bash America and Bush" thread. I do have to compliment your knowledge of a combination of history and politics! To be honest, I never consider myself as arrogant or argumentative, and when I joined this dating site, I was shocked, and insulted on how many Canadians viewed this forum area as a way to vent their anger at Americans. I love my country, and I will defend it when attacked. There are many things about my country I don't like, as I'm sure there are things in Canada that you don't like. Most people in the USA, at least I believe, are tired of the idea that the USA needs to be the police department of the world. Our country gives more aid around the world then any other country, and yet we are considered arrogant, and bullies of the world. Some posters here have said who is the USA to say that democracy is the best way? Well good point. I think most Americans now know that the information we used to make the decision to invade Iraq ( WMD ) was false. The intial information yes was wrong, but the removal of a sadistic, homocidal dictator, that was killing his own countrymen, because they weren't the "right" sect, was a beneficial action for the people of Iraq. I'm not trying to justify our actions, but i think that anytime an oppressed people can finally have a way to control their own destiny.....a better living condition has to happen. Again Kudos Montreal, good thread, and better moderation still!!!!!!!!!
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 81
Posted: 2/20/2007 12:44:20 PM
There is some knee jerk anti-Americanism in all Canadians. But's that's a pretty normal reaction. Ask an Oregonian how s/he feels about Californians. Or a Scot about the English. It's a natural reaction to the big guy next door and isn't serious.

What is serious is the extraordinary shift to the right in your country I've seen in my adult life. I've moved right, and my country has too, but you guys seem to have such a narrow area of political discussion and it's all been defined by what used to be the loony right. No politician of either party can talk about scaling back military spending now that the Soviet threat is gone, despite the fact that you spend more than the rest of the world combined. You can't talk about meaningful healthcare reform, reform of drug laws, helping the poorest in your own country and the world, special interests (which used to be defined as big business), increasing disparity between the rich and poor. I remember only a few years ago that Michael Eisner exercising stock options that meant a $200,000,000 annual pay was huge news. Now it wouldn't even make the business pages.

Instead political discussion is limited to giving Global Warming deniers equal voice with the rest of the scientific community (akin to giving Holocaust deniers an equal voice anytime that horror is discussed); the latest piece of a speech or interview by a Democrat that can be taken out of context and made to seem to be something it clearly isn't when taken in context (examples too numerous to mention); for goodness sakes, whether someone says Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays is actually considered fodder for political commentators. Real politics requires real discussion. You're very badly served by your media.
 readyfordating
Msg: 82
Posted: 2/20/2007 1:59:06 PM
Montreal,
BINGO!.......we want it back too! Too many of out basic freedoms were written by people who actually believed in god, and every part of our Constitution mirrored that fact. It seems to most people in our country that the ACLU has threatened that very existance. Separation of church and state now turned our country into a war zone. Add that now to what "we" consider our liberal left's attack on everyone's rights...( ie: illegal aliens, and eastern "looking" peoples rights) and the average American feels that the citizen's rights have been overtaken by people who not only are in the country illegally, but by the people who side with the ACLU regardless if it's right or wrong......
 readyfordating
Msg: 83
Posted: 2/20/2007 2:16:40 PM
Halftimedad,
Many people in our country too are quick to blame the media, but we view the "general" media as being left leaning. I'm not sure under what situations your country's citizens may file a law suit, but in my home state, if i don't approve of a say.......Christmas tree in my local airport, I can file a law suit to sue them to remove it or for civil damages for $100. Now if I want to make a "statement" I'd sue them for say 10 million dollars. SAME FEE! $100. I think our country should impose a 10% law, that is, if you sue for 10 million, the filing fee for that suit should be 10% of the suit........if you lose, you lose the money! It sure would stop all the stupid law suits, but then again, we have more lawyers per capita then any country in the world, so what would "they" do..........I don't care, let them get real jobs.
Now you talk about salaries.......laughing......believe me when i say, I can't relate with even our president's salary, as far as i know it's between 200 and $250,000 , compare that to sport figures, CEOs of large corporations...........it's a joke for the man who leads our country........we KNOW that! Are we happy about it? I'm sure we aren't happy about it, but what have we created being a capitalistic country? How does that boil down in your country?
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:24:24 PM
Look at where she's coming from. Apparently she considers her positions to be reasonable.

So it's kind of a given that anybody from any other first world country is going to seem like a wild leftist. It's possible to live in the US and be completely unaware of how that nation achieved greatness because of government interventions, not in spite of them. You'd pretty much have to go to Somalia, or Pakistan to find citizens that hold such radical and extremist positions as part of the mainstream.
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >