Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Kataklysmic
Msg: 3
cars in europe get much better gas mileage than north americaPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Considering that one kilometer is equal to almost 2 1/2 miles...I am thinking your friend was looking at the Kpg, rather than the Mpg.
 Hozo
Msg: 6
view profile
History
cars in europe get much better gas mileage than north america
Posted: 9/22/2006 7:02:39 PM
I own 2 early 90s Geo Metros. Both get 45+mpg US average. They have a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine producing about 80 HP & will get 50 mpg HWY. They are worth their weight in gold to me. Thats The best mileage Ive seen in an automobile offered in the US...but that was nearly 15 years ago. Those cars were barely over $5000 US back then...but nobody bought them. Americans didnt want them. They were too small, & didnt have enough horsepower to satisfy their "pedal to the metal" mentality.

Petrol was between $1-$2 per gallon then so there was no demand for them. I find it hilarious concerning the super hype of "hybrid" cars..aka Toyota Prius, etc. WOW they get 50 mpg & theyre only $24,000 US!!!
Hmmm...I could but a dozen early 90s Geo Metros & still have $$ left over to buy all my friends front row tickets to a Rolling Stones concert for the price of a "hybrid" & its scheduled maintenance costs.

I wonder aloud why dont they re-introduce the Geo Metro again?? Economical, reliable, simple, perfect. They would sell like hotcakes.
 Kataklysmic
Msg: 7
Posted: 9/23/2006 8:49:23 AM

^^^^^^^ One KM is equal to .62 miles!

Okay, so I am an American...*L*
 corleo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 9/24/2006 7:59:28 AM
just been reading this thread and was wondering if you have LPG (liquid petrolium gas) - autogas over there in the states??.. i convert cars to run on lpg for a living and we convert many cherrokees/day vans and allsorts of big american vehicles for some of the airmen from some local airbases and also uk owners too.. petrol costs aprox £5.00 a gallon over here (£1.00 a litre).. lpg costs 45pence a litre.. i run my cars onlpg and it halves my fuel costs.. wouldnt use any other fuel now, i havent bought petrolfor about 6 years now.. anyway was just wondering...
 t-gurl
Msg: 12
Posted: 9/26/2006 6:01:05 PM
Several reasons. First, their cars are generally smaller. Many delivery and service trucks there are smaller than North American pickups

Even in similar sized or US models, the engines are smaller.

Emission controls can be less, giving better mileage.

And most importantly, when gas prices are higher, buyers demand better mileage from manufacturers. (everything comes with a price)
 corleo
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2006 9:31:54 AM
msg 21..what a load of rubbish!!..all european cars have to pass a certian standard in crash tests, these are very stringent.. i work on yank motors converting them to run lpg, most of your motors are nothing specail, justa big engine and lots of bells and whistles that are useless and just more things to go wrong, but it seems that you all like the bells and whistles and 5ltr lumps..the average car over here is between 1800cc and 3500 cc, and do between 28-38 mpg... 55mpg if you use lpg.. and all will do 110mph+.. how fast do you wanna go?... down size the size of your engines or convert to a cheaper fuel ( i convert yank and european cars to run on LPG for a living)... it just seems to us over here that you seem to think bigger engine=better... not true!!... but i do admit theres nothing better than a v8 raw..even better if its running on lpg..totally green fuel.. no carbon emmissions, only emmissions are water vapour... look into it and save your selves shed loads of money..

and smart cars are laughed at too over here...wouldnt ever own one..
i own and run 2 bmw 525 24v on LPG and get almost 55mpg...beacuse LPG is half the cost of petrol... and they arent small cars..
 Hozo
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 10/2/2006 5:11:00 PM
European cars get better mileage because a lot of them have what we would consider lawnmower engines in them, and are roughly the size of a shopping cart. Just about as safe in an accident, too. Look at a Smart car. They get the same mileage as a go-cart, but aren't quite as fast, can't carry quite as much, and I sure wouldn't want to get into an accident in one.

Yep...but..consider this....if ALL cars on the road were tiny & you were in an accident, you would be crashing into ANOTHER tiny car, therefore the laws of physics would make it a normal crash. Crash that same tiny car into a Ford Explorer & its a different story of course.

I like the Smart car...but then again I like tiny cars, owning 2 Geo Metros at present. As you said...tiny car, lawn mower engine, BUT almost 50 MPG US.!!! Well worth the trade-off to me.

If I feel the need for power, I jump on my BMW motorcycle. Same fuel mileage as the Metro, double the horsepower, triple torque, & will eat 95% of vehicles on the road for lunch.
 2findU
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2007 2:13:46 PM
Frankly, many N. Americans insist on buying big gas guzzling SUV's and pick up trucks. Powerful luxury sedans too. High mileage cars are available here too. And European and Japanese cars are available with over 300 Hp too.
 AtHomeInTheWoods
Msg: 21
Posted: 8/23/2007 2:14:56 PM

I own 2 early 90s Geo Metros. Both get 45+mpg US average. They have a 1 litre 3 cylinder engine producing about 80 HP & will get 50 mpg HWY. They are worth their weight in gold to me. Thats The best mileage Ive seen in an automobile offered in the US...but that was nearly 15 years ago. Those cars were barely over $5000 US back then...but nobody bought them. Americans didnt want them. They were too small, & didnt have enough horsepower to satisfy their "pedal to the metal" mentality.

There were several of those minis at the time, not only the Metro, but Ford Festiva, Suburu Justy, and Toyota Starlet. All about the same fuel mileage. Starlet was rear drive, rest all front drive. Those cars most with old fashioned carburetors at least when they were first sold, got mileage as good or better than the super expensive hybrids of today. Simpler is always better in my opinion.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 4/25/2008 12:29:35 PM
GM (and Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Subaru, Mercedes, BMW, etc) makes what people want to buy. Euro GM cars are designed and tuned for the Euro market, Asian GM car are designed and tuned for the Asian market. Americans like big macho cars/trucks with big engines, and a big shot of testosterone; Europeans, apparently, like cars that get them where they need to go with a minimum of fuss and expense.

There is a fellow named Jonathan Goodwin who converts diesels to run with hydrogen (or propane or ethanol) injection, and reportedly gets incredible fuel economy from H2 Hummers. The equivalent conversion of a full-size American sedan (like the Ford Crown Vic) would yield 40-50 mpg, supposedly with no sacrifice in performance.

I don't have the Crown Vic to convert, nor do I have the $28,000+ for the conversion; but several celebrities, including the Governator, have had H1 and H2 conversions.

http://www.hlineconversion.com/tv-media.php

http://www.saeenergy.com

For the most part he uses off-the-shelf GM parts. I wonder if Bob Lutz has heard of him?
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >