Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gjay1
Msg: 121
Do you remember....Page 7 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
oh now youve got me thinking of stuff like that lol !! remember woodleigh fields green apple shampoo??? yum lol and batiste for oily hair!! - i think i just liked the ads for that lol
 SexyBBW66
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Do you remember....
Posted: 8/20/2008 12:29:37 AM
lol this thread is funny bringing up memories of childhood..

A typical Saturday for me would be walking round to my Great Grandmothers for a chat and a cuddle stopping to pinch a bunch of flowers from my Uncle's garden as I walked past lol
Then after seeing Gran it was off to the beach for a swim and a chat either at nippers or just with friends then over to the park to ride the flying fox ,swings and tree fort, or we would ride the horses on the beach .. sometimes we would go roller skating at an open air rink or ice skating.

Does anyone remember getting the little posters of cartoon characters like Speedy Gonzales or Donald Duck when they bought a ice cream on a stick?? We also used to get 3 lollies for 1cent so 50cents was a veritable feast. Double R soft drinks we could get refunds on the bottles, fish and chips on a Friday and banks being open routinely on a Saturday.
Phone calls cost 6 cents from a public phone box and we could go to town on the bus for 15 cents lol

Wheres my Tardis dammit I would love to revisit what seemed like a much less complicated time
 missmilly1970
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Do you remember....
Posted: 8/20/2008 6:38:48 AM
Rainbowskin,
Big Charlies when they were actually big and cost like 5c, choo choo bars, roller skates with 4 wheels, treads (now I'm really showing my age) lol

About a year ago I bought myself roller skates. (I sometimes forget I'm 38y/o!) They're just like the old "Redstone" ones we had, but they have glitter wheels! I thought it would be like riding a bike! It's not. Sadly, as an "adult" I'm scared I'll fall over. That was never a worry as a child! When I told my Mum she said "Not that I don't have faith in you ,but did you buy knee & elbow guards?" "Gee Mum."

Ahhh, Choo choo bars.............they lasted forever & your tongue turned black! Do you remember pink panthers and toffee apples?

I miss the smell of the sprinkler. The cold water running through the warm hose. It always had a certain scent.
 gjay1
Msg: 126
Do you remember....
Posted: 8/21/2008 6:26:24 AM
thanks someones mum!! oh wow!! i havent seen them in years!! have to go and have a look in summer- our local shoe shop werent even sure what i was talking about lol
 sensiszeroto100
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Do you remember....
Posted: 9/10/2008 4:20:57 AM
Sherbet, Bay City Rollers, Kiss, Skyhooks, TMG, Abba (omg did I just say Abba?)
Satin trousers, long silky scarves (sherbet)
Tartan(Bay City Rollers)
Sydney Horden Pavillion
When you had to line up for your tickets!! AND you were allowed to stand on the seats for a better view!!
Ah them were the days!!
 debnco
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Do you remember....
Posted: 10/2/2008 6:22:31 AM
Do you remember going to the Drive In?
I took my kids tonite in my 4x4 ute mattress in back . Backed in and snuggled up .
They both said it was the best part of the whole holidays .
Who said you have to spend a fortune on kids these days to entertain them ?
 Island home
Msg: 134
Do you remember....
Posted: 1/28/2010 3:11:54 AM
Do you remember
I recall
Do you remember when we meet
Those where the days I thought you were my pet

Nope I don't remember the days or the song

aSydneyMale
Msg: 137
Do you remember....
Posted: 1/28/2010 4:04:04 PM
I remember bikes, billy carts and my tree house.

I also remember feeling safe no matter where I went, and this was in a South-West Sydney neighbourhood.

And I remember Cracker Night!. My dad used to drive around looking for old tyres and made a big bonfire. We had bungers and Tom Thumbs and sparklers. I wish I could do the same for my kids.

But wait, there's more!

Sunny Boys, Glugs (flavoured ice) and Big Charlies (bubble gum), Cottees soft drinks and the most beautiful lemonade I've tasted in my life, Blue Bow (I still remember it). I remember my mum's roast dinners, jam tarts and corned beef with onion sauce, beautiful.

And real hamburgers!
 qldblue
Msg: 140
Do you remember....
Posted: 1/29/2010 12:10:01 AM
Remember the old caltex ads that had the garage guy explaining different oils to the blonde woman who had conical breasts or the ESSO ads for putting a tiger in your tank.
 aSydneyMale
Msg: 141
Do you remember....
Posted: 1/29/2010 1:19:21 AM

^^^Yes what happened to them? Does anyone know? I mean now that I'm living in Adelaide I've got buckleys of finding a decent hamburger let alone anything else in this place..................on the other hand in Melbourne I used to frequent some fantastic old fashioned fish & chip/hamburger joints.

There used to be some great ones up here, Canley Vale, Harris Park and Dundas Valley.
But the best of the lot was on the corner of Cleveland St and Anzac Parade near the SCG, beetroot, cheese, fried egg and the lot with barbeque sauce!
 qldblue
Msg: 158
Do you remember....
Posted: 2/19/2010 6:49:03 AM
Re message 193 by Jewels

So glad you mentioned AstroBoy and not me as this makes you older than me.
Also remember platform shoes for guys as well as the bright pink floral shirts that the guys who thought they were hip would wear, thank god that I grew up in Fremantle as no self respecting guy would dare wear one of those shirts.

Of course there was the original StarTrek captained by James T Kirk.

Sadly but true I can remember the days when with 50cents I could get the bus into town, pay to go to the movies, buy lollies, watch 2 yes 2 movies then catch the bus home on a Saturday afternoon and still have change left over to buy a soft drink
 qldblue
Msg: 164
Do you remember....
Posted: 2/20/2010 1:12:05 AM
I was talking about the late 1960's where you could buy $2 worth of petrol and just about drive around for nearly a week.
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 170
Do you remember....
Posted: 2/27/2010 2:54:22 AM
Who remembers the "free" milk in primary school (late '50's and early '60's) that usually was off by playlunch .... and the flavoures straws that you tried to camoflauge the taste with ..... cobbers were 2 a penny, milk bottles 4 a penny, coke was 3p to drink there or 6p to take away with 3p refund on the bottle ..... an ice cream in a cone was 3p and a paddle pop was 6p, The Pictures ( Hoyts Theatres ) was 6p downstairs and 1/- ( a shilling) upstairs, a packet of chips was 6p ..... in the late '6o's a packet of Benson and Hedges was 40 cents, Craven "A " was 38 cents, Capstan filters in a pack of 10 was 19 cents, petrol was 36 cents a GALLON for super and 32 cents a GALLON for standard ...... my first pay packet as a apprentice mechanic was $10.75 for the WHOLE week !!!!

I loved the old milk bars with booths and Jukeboxes where a malted milkshake with ice cream cost 6p ( in a big aluminium cup), a burger with "the works" cost 1/- , a bag of chips was 6p and all tasted great and the place had atmosphere .... lots of bodgies an widgies, peg-leg jeans, beatle boots, studded belts, black T-shirts, californian poppy everywhere, leather jackets, wedges and cowlicks wall to wall ......

Bus fare was 3p and 6p (kids) and the best ride was upstairs, upfront on the double deckers and also on the back platform hanging onto the centre post swinging out into the breeze ...... a taxi cost 6p for "flag fall" an a penny-halfpenny per mile ...... phone calls were 6p for local calls ..... if I remember correctly, our first TV licence cost mum and dad 10 shillings for the year in the early 1960's and the first show I saw on our very own TV was " The Mickey Mouse Club " ........ Ahhhhhh, Annette, where did we go wrong ???

I worked at an Esso service station for a while ..... who remembers the "Esso Girls " in the early '70's ????? any of you still around ????
 qldblue
Msg: 171
Do you remember....
Posted: 2/27/2010 3:10:39 AM
I refuse to answer that on the grounds that one of us is old con ten ed and as such I deem you to be older than me for the simple reason that Perth had phased out the double decker buses
 internetdatinglol
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Do you remember....
Posted: 2/27/2010 4:59:38 AM
Who remembers the "free" milk in primary school (late '50's and early '60's) that usually was off by playlunch .... and the flavoures straws that you tried to camoflauge the taste with ..... cobbers were 2 a penny, milk bottles 4 a penny, coke was 3p to drink there or 6p to take away with 3p refund on the bottle ..... an ice cream in a cone was 3p and a paddle pop was 6p, The Pictures ( Hoyts Theatres ) was 6p downstairs and 1/- ( a shilling) upstairs, a packet of chips was 6p ..... in the late '6o's a packet of Benson and Hedges was 40 cents, Craven "A " was 38 cents, Capstan filters in a pack of 10 was 19 cents, petrol was 36 cents a GALLON for super and 32 cents a GALLON for standard ...... my first pay packet as a apprentice mechanic was $10.75 for the WHOLE week !!!!

I loved the old milk bars with booths and Jukeboxes where a malted milkshake with ice cream cost 6p ( in a big aluminium cup), a burger with "the works" cost 1/- , a bag of chips was 6p and all tasted great and the place had atmosphere .... lots of bodgies an widgies, peg-leg jeans, beatle boots, studded belts, black T-shirts, californian poppy everywhere, leather jackets, wedges and cowlicks wall to wall ......

Bus fare was 3p and 6p (kids) and the best ride was upstairs, upfront on the double deckers and also on the back platform hanging onto the centre post swinging out into the breeze ...... a taxi cost 6p for "flag fall" an a penny-halfpenny per mile ...... phone calls were 6p for local calls ..... if I remember correctly, our first TV licence cost mum and dad 10 shillings for the year in the early 1960's and the first show I saw on our very own TV was " The Mickey Mouse Club " ........ Ahhhhhh, Annette, where did we go wrong ???

I worked at an Esso service station for a while ..... who remembers the "Esso Girls " in the early '70's ????? any of you still around ????

This was akin to reading a excerpt of Dic kens for me.
 qldblue
Msg: 174
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 2:58:19 AM
Tis a sad day when you can remember tv shows in their original release on Australian tv such as the following:

Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Combat, Hop-a-Long Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, Rin Tin Tin and the Cisco Kid, Homicide, Ironside, Matlock Police, Division 4 and everyones favourite ThunderBirds

Damn there is no icon for us oldies
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 175
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 3:35:54 AM
...... not to mention - Checkmate, 77 Sunset Strip, Revue '60 - '66, Brian Henderson's Bandstand, Supercar, Jet Jackson, Flicka, Consider Your Verdict, The Outer Limits, Calvin and the Colonel, Huckleberry Hound, Mavis Bramston Show, Cannonball, Whirlybirds, Everglades, Casey Jones aannndddd .... my favourite ... Superman with George Reeves !!!
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 176
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:06:54 AM
Just a few weeks ago, there was a special on SBS about the whole Shintaro thing .... the guy who starred as Shintaro was on there, is still alive, and runs some company in Japan. In this Doco, an Aussie guy was introduced to him as some sort of Fan club president or suchlike and Shintaro gave him the original wig that he wore in the show .... really interesting show .... and heavily nostalgic ......
 qldblue
Msg: 177
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:06:55 AM
I told you before con ten ed that you are older than me, then there was Car 54, Rock Around the Clock with Johnny O'Keefe, Sounds Unlimited, as well as watching the Lionel Rose v Fighting Harada boxing match and StarTrek and let's not embarass ourselves anymore or the nurses from the old folk's home will be round to pick us up

Con Ten Ted
Msg: 178
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:14:33 AM
..... and how do you know I'm not just reading these out of an old "TV week" or something qldblue ????
 qldblue
Msg: 179
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:20:30 AM
Because I have that old TV week but then again I suppose you could have googled this info, damn I must be older then as I haven't thought of that yet
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 180
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:22:50 AM
Ok, Ok .... dont cry. How about Greenbottle or biggles and the black raider ..... on the RADIO !!!! Are you THAT old ?????
 qldblue
Msg: 181
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:33:51 AM
sssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and then there was the other radio plays, some were still going into the eighties in some areas.

When I visited my family in WA at xmas time, my eldest sister tuned her car radio to a station that was re running some of the old radio plays.

Apparantly this radio station started the broadcasting of the radio plays as a fill in and now the major percentage of listeners are in the X and Y generation, who would have figured that with modern technology something really old is appealing to our younger generation
 Con Ten Ted
Msg: 182
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 4:46:06 AM
In the mid '70's, I was in Rockhampton QLD on an exercise and the local station played the whole original series of "Dad and Dave" radio plays ..... That was the second time that I had heard it ..... ( 1st time was in the late '50's and I was a little boy !!).

Once, during an intense moment listening to an episode of Biggles, my brother was laying on the floor listening and getting carried away chewing on the radio's power cable ...... luckily, when he bit through it the fuse blew and he only got a minor jolt ....... made us miss out on the rest of the episode too !!
 qldblue
Msg: 183
Do you remember....
Posted: 3/8/2010 5:10:31 AM
I was in Wodonga in 1981/82 and they were playing Biggles on the radio and in 1976 they were broadcasting a play about bushrangers.

Unfortunately I was never in Wodonga to hear the end of the radio plays
Show ALL Forums  > Australia  >