Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 armyguy35
Msg: 24
California men: Fact or myth?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
ARE YOU KIDDING?HAVE YOU BEEN TO NYC?LOL
 armyguy35
Msg: 25
California men: Fact or myth?
Posted: 10/8/2006 3:18:45 PM
i honestly think those of us who want a real relationship....just dont look good enough or make enough money...so we get ignored...and then the same women say we are hard to find
 armyguy35
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/8/2006 3:21:04 PM
this is very true.........which is probably why i havent been messaged even ONCE.But then again i am in Central Calif...so if the men here have our pick of the women...why am I getting no messages?
 writedan
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/15/2006 4:52:33 PM
I would have to say myth. Everybody plays the game whether they want to or not. Everyone has their little tests to see how the other person will react. I just moved from South Carolina and dating is the same out here as it is over there. I don't know if that is good news or bad news for you.
 WhereIsTheSuperNo
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2006 2:14:52 AM
My standard rule is that you have to make it through a full change of seasons with someone before you know them. Some get the straying itch in the spring, some go through low self esteem in the summer, some are depressed in the fall, and others freak out around the holidays. The two women I was with for more than a year represent almost half of my life. No other woman made it 6 months before she flipped out about something, shame a couple of them were really nice girls in the beginning.
 WayneM
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/16/2006 11:38:39 AM
Having grown up in the Midwest (specifically central Kansas) I think I know a thing or two about Midwest types. A) we are all rednecks, and it don't wash off. B) Red necks can be flakes, although it isn't common when one of my kind does go flaky It's going to be a Katy bar the Door flaky, and the red neck jokes don't tell the half of a flaky redneck stupidity .

As for Californians, I find that this state has some of the most uptight people I have ever meet, and considering the environmental, and social pressures I think I know why. Californians have never learned the value of living and letting live. And yes I can also say I know a fair number of Kansans who have not learned the same lesson, but they are a small although vocal minority there (and frequently laughed at by the entire country).

WayneM
 armyguy35
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/18/2006 3:09:40 AM
OK here is what I think is funny...guys tell me if youve noticed this....women say we are commitmentphobes(im not), and all of this about California men...but when i try to message the women in here...it usually says YOU are not allowed to message her...yet i look over the profile..and there is nothing in their that seems to say why...po1drn you said i gave you a fake number...but I didnt...i accidentally mistypes one number...i even told you that and you apologized for accusing me...and now you have me blocked hmmm, as far as the woman who said i was cut(thank you very much that made me smile from ear to ear), and you asked me to message you, but it ALSO says im not allowed to.So why do women say we are so bad, and when a great guy messages her..she doesnt accept it?
 armyguy35
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/30/2006 5:21:17 PM
icicle i know a great tguiy who isnt like that but you wont speak to him cause hes 35
 G.G.
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2006 10:35:54 PM
definatly a myth. The thing that always gets me is that expecially in southern cali we have tourists and people who move here from other parts of the country to make it in hollywood lol. I think because of that california attracks a certain type of person from all over the country but you cant really label them all the same anyway. People with the same goals can go about things very differently.
-Gina
 ManCrap
Msg: 57
Posted: 11/3/2006 1:10:40 PM
Men AND women are flaky here in California! My advice? find a woman in another state. Even Vegas is better then here! People in POF are fake and they flake out. just that simple. I hate to say it but I love my this state but the people need some humility.
 Rythmn
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2006 1:05:35 AM
i am a new yorker and CA adjustment has been difficult. but i'm not sure i can differentiate between the men and the women. new yorkers are very direct, we tend to walk our talk. i find a lot more talking here in CA than walking. CA people find NY'ers aggressive. WE find CA people passive aggressive. However, that being said, I have just moved from Silicon Valley to the Santa Cruz area and am much, much happier here. I do tend to "hang" with people significantly younger, because i find the men my age to be a lot more "judgemental" and with a lot less emotional and intellectual energy. but maybe they are the same in NYC and this is a sign of aging and not of region? or maybe it's just by chance. i also find that by joining "meetups" with people i have things in common with, that so far all of them are extremely sincere and caring and quite intelligent. soooooooooo, as to flaky? i guess it depends on how you like your pie. personally i go for "deep dish" with lots of substance, lots of crunch and sweeten me up! i'll provide the ice cream.
 loveseeds
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 12/5/2006 10:01:22 AM
amen!!!

i think the problem with the california man is "hollywood" they are all into buffed body and tan and motorsikles and movie star looking, the women have plastic boobies and fake blond hair and every thing is fake, the man here in california loves bodies like that no matter if you r old or young, if you r older and do not look like a barbie you r stuck with a person you never of dreaming of been with because you do not want to be alone.
i been in a single situations for a long time and even though i think i look pretty good for my age iam still a reject! but had planty of emails from man from back east because i think their mind is not blinded by hollywood and buffed bodies and plastic every thing plastic face butts and boobies

iam not sure if it is the tv or because it is california but the majorirties of man here are not real, they live in a fantasy world, one day they will wake up!

thanks for letting me vent
ciao
 Rythmn
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Posted: 12/22/2006 12:08:07 AM
to be blunt (not very CA'like, sorry) , new yorkers really don't think much or have an "impression" of californians. mine only formed when i moved to the silicon valley. but i learned rapidly that the area was only one of many subcultures within the state. for me the fences, lack of neighborliness, boring mini malls from too rapid development, endless tract homes, etc. was pretty unbearable. i must say it is so good to be in santa cruz now in my old & one of a kind abode with lots of interesting and friendly neighbors. it's a lot more like nyc and its surrounding out areas--people are friendly, speak their minds, not at all into the "image" scenario described above. however, i do miss the ethnic mix of nyc and even the silicon valley, but at least nyc had more liberal leanings --perhaps the gentleman of above, hung out in different circles?!* because i also do miss the creativity and intensity and brain power as well ( all bundled together and highly exciting if you were in the middle of it all). but again, it could have been the times and the particular work i was engaged in.
 il_Duce
Msg: 84
Posted: 12/24/2006 4:12:27 AM
Well, after reading a lot(not all) of the replies to this post, I can't help but think of putting in my two cents. To put it on the table, I'm a So Cal resident all my life. Born, raised, educated, and employed.

As far as this myth goes, for both cali men and women, I believe that like attracts like. If you come in to california with the expectation that californians are flaky/superficial, then that's what you'll attract. It's kinda like that whole thing of "Don't think of pink elephants in a goose costume sitting in the corner of your room" and, of course, that's exactly what pops in your mind.

But if you come to california just to chill and relax, you'll meet people who will help you maximize your stay. So if you truely believe the Stereotypes of Californians, you'll meet those people who live the stereotype.

-Il Duce
 Wreckless1
Msg: 85
Posted: 7/21/2007 3:01:27 PM
Sounds pretty close Duce. I am not from California, arrived in '63 at 6 yrs old. And after so many years I have become a native I spose. But as for the Men here, I would say quite diverse. From my perspective, Cali Guys are mostly focused on the women, sports, cars/bikes, family,and business. Not in any particular order either.

I have been to several other states of the U.S., and know for a fact that Cali guys are more driven, then in other states.(not speakin about the east coast) I could be wrong as I do not travel in all levels/circles of men in Cali.... As I am pretty laid back.... and not so ambitious as most appear to be. Flash, and status are not what I am about. So if it is Fact you seek, look around.................Myth, listen around.

I do not judge a book by it's cover, and in Cali, looks can be quite deceiving. Look for an adam's apple below the chin if you really want to know if it's a guy. IN Cali guys come in all shapes, sizes, and colors.... in your shoppin for a guy, be sure you are getting what you want., and not just the floor model....
 Wreckless1
Msg: 99
Posted: 9/6/2007 4:49:11 AM
I am really not sure if Men in Californina are bread or just developed??
 Wreckless2
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/19/2007 4:36:33 PM
......More Myth then fact, when women search for the rare man who is shall we say... "down to earth, honest, reliable, intelligent, strong when need be, in charge!!, let's not forget vulnerable, open with his feelings, prompt, ....loyal..that is a big one.

But if he has some of this, he is missing some of that! Where is a woman to find this extraordinary creature... on the net you try...but Neah say I... He is right there in amongst the trees, as you survey the forrest. No matter what he has that appeals to the women all over the globe, he will be lackin in another area, you can be sure, as we all know ......No Guy is PERFECT! So if you happen to come across one who has little of that, then maybe you can get passed when he hasn't... let's just hope it ain't bed experience.... Ladies, you know what I mean.

Oh, and just for good measure.... let's not stop at 50.... Iwill be over that soon
 Rythmn
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 10/21/2007 2:08:45 AM
alcura my friend, trust me, you are one of the "few" flakey men on the planet! what a cross to bear. or is it mezuzah? however, i have to tell you: leisurely people, even lazy people, abound everywhere. maybe more druggies here though than the east coast, at least where i live-- a regression into the 60's!
Show ALL Forums  > California  >