Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 msplcdmtnwmn
Msg: 161
Long hair on older womenPage 5 of 42    (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42)
Well, I've had short hair for the majority of my life. Its baby fine, and has more cowlicks than I have sense,lol, soo.....short it is. It does just as it pleases... , just like me.
 JDMETRO
Msg: 164
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/28/2007 6:38:26 PM
One man's opinion.

Perception - first impression - is everything when it comes to viewing a new woman.

Very long hair on older women (basically over 50) is not often good. But can work on some women.

Very short hair on women - above the ears - noticable above the ears is YUCK, especially on women over age 50. Younger women can get away with it far more often . An extreme minority of young women look pretty sexy with extreme short hair - but it is a crap shoot.

For most women of any age - extremely short hair 2 inches above the ear, etc. is not attractive (to me - not AT ALL).

Only about 1 out of 10 women over age 50 can look good in extremely short hair or extremely long hair.

Short hair - I don't date men and I do not want to date a woman that looks like a man - it is that simple. The sexual attractiveness disappears - in my perception.

When it come to a choice - if I have to - I'll choose the long hair - even if there is some drawback.

The best hair on a woman over 50 is casually waved below the earlobes and above the shoulders just a bit.

If you don't like my opinion --- well too bad - it is just my opinion - but truthful . . .

Joe
 mj824
Msg: 165
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/28/2007 9:55:04 PM
Just read that last line about very long hair on older women, 50, not looking good. Well guess what, my hair is long and is going to stay long because it looks good, not just in my opinion but in the opinion of others. Including many youngsters under fifty. And hey, 50 old? I'll give you old! Come at me with a scissors and you'll see just how old I am when I'm done kicking your butt.
 JDMETRO
Msg: 166
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/29/2007 8:13:46 AM
Just remember gals - the wrong hair style and length for the wrong facial structure, the wrong body / face weight / fat / skinny face, etc. etc. --- is equivalent to the 'Comb Over' for guys going bald on top.

He thinks it looks great - BUT NO ONE ELSE DOES.

Here is my advice to women (and similar advice works pretty well for men - but men often don't seek advice).

Anyway - If you are a single woman - sincerely looking to find a man / mate - especially if you are over age 45 . . . then DO NOT TAKE THE ADVICE OF YOUR GIRLFRIENDS as to how to dress, how to fix your hair, or how to do anything to attract a man.

Because - if your girlfirends are single too and have been for a long time and have no track record of attracting and keeping a good catch of a man --- THEN HOW WOULD THEY KNOW?

My advice for women seeking a man -- Get the honest opinion of a man - what might be called a 'disinteresed third party'. This could be an long time male friend, a cousin, a son, a brother, a married neighbor, etc. - not someone even close to being 'sexually or romantically interested' in you. Ask his opinion as to your hair style / length, your style of applying makeup, your style of dress, etc. Assure them you won't get mad if they are honest.

IT WILL BE A LOT MORE ACCURATE --- If you want to attract a man - dress and style your hair, do you makeup in the mode/style that a man likes -- not what a woman believes looks good.
 Got Trance
Msg: 167
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/29/2007 9:36:26 AM
I prefer long hair on young and old alike. Just looks sexier.
 JDMETRO
Msg: 168
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/29/2007 2:24:32 PM
Yes - I agree 100% - your hair style / color is GREAT !

Another one of those sexy Canadian gals again. What's in the water up there anyway?

Joe Greene
 StarreGazer
Msg: 170
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/31/2007 3:41:38 AM

Msg: 382 -- I think long gray hair ages a person's profile 20 years.

That depends on the woman, I suppose. I have seen women with long gray hair that look gorgeous.
 Betsy47
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/31/2007 6:46:18 AM
I went to get my hair trimmed and she cut off way more than I wanted. Now I can't feel it blowing in the wind. It is chin length and very thick. I prefer long hair even though I'm sixty. I do believe it is because we are baby boomers and like to do our own thing and the heck with what anyone thinks.
 moraima
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 5/31/2007 7:04:10 AM
I just took the plunge and had layers cut into my long hair, and I am loving it. Back is still the same long length. I did it over a two month period, and two different haircuts. I wanted to be absolutely certaing that I wanted it cut. First I had long layers put in to the back see how I liked it. Also, I needed to know that I could quickly tie it up when I was working and the layers wouldn't fall out and annoy me. A couple of day ago, I had more layers cut, the top layer being a little over 6 inches. I am enjoying a different look, and I can put it up even more easily.

As far as taking a pole of what men think about my hair length.....? Personal style is all about how we feel with our choices, not what anyone else thinks. No disrespect to men, but I am sure they more interesting things to do with their time. If a man ask me how I thought he should wear his hair, I would be tempted to tell him to make his own decisions.
 Prince28
Msg: 174
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/7/2007 12:47:17 AM
I think it is whatever suits the individual....we get caught up in this age thing so easily....I believe that each is an individual who must make their own decision with respect to their looks... for example...if a person feels the need to go on a diet...it is that person who has to make the conscious decision to diet...no one else...it is their health....and those who do things because of peer pressure...need to get their self confidence and self esteem in order... so I say..if you want to have long hair..go for it...if you like to wear it short ...go for that too....whatever makes you feel comfortable with who you are matters most....and if a guy just happens to like it...so be it...People forget the most important thing...People are like Candy Bars....the wrapper will fade with sun and time....but it is the sweet taste of what is inside that will last an eternity...too bad so many dill pickles get wrapped up...wink....just kidding...
 spunky sicilian
Msg: 176
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/8/2007 4:15:07 PM
my hair is black below the shoulder and curly I Love it and feel that if thats the way i want it thats the way its gonna stay. besides that if i do cut it too short ill have a fro and it will be around the corner long b4 i get there.
 Girlflower
Msg: 178
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/9/2007 6:19:34 AM
Flinging and flicking my hair through life..... let's cha cha cha!

There is a reason I call myself Girlflower... still got a little flower power left in this soul. And no Granny Doo or Helmet Hair for this Lady! As for the last date who asked if I wore it in a ponytail... no way Jose'...... I love the music of having Hair to fling and flang around....life's too short not gonna be short haired too....

Going in dating land.
 Girlflower
Msg: 183
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/11/2007 4:40:53 PM
I've always kept my hair long... it's stick straight and never would take a perm (actually falls out over night) and layers make it look like it has been hacked!! I only get a hair cut once a year to just below my shoulders... it's a 5 minute style for me the rest of the time I cut my own bangs..... and I do put one of those natural rinse out products on it cuz I like the way it brightens up my natural color... Just one of those low maintenance girls... even do my own manicures/pedicures too! Wonder how all those guys would feel if they knew it costs over a hundred dollars for a decent haircut and color these days... bet they'd love long hair then! Not to mention how much the ladies spend on their nails these days.. all in all almost a dinner at Sardi's..lol! I'd rather spend the money on weekend trips around my state!

And finally... give a man a crayon and a piece of paper and ask him to draw a picture of a girl and 99% of the time he'll draw a girl with long hair! ( My father told me that!)

Loving my long hair... flinging to music is a joy!!! and really don't care who likes it or not... it's my hair!
 Girlflower
Msg: 184
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/11/2007 4:49:14 PM
We remember the old days... come on over... I have a iron and an ironing board... lol!! You too can have long hair..... rotf!

I was alway jealous of girls with curls , we always want what we don't have... Thanks Bayrab!
 mj824
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/11/2007 5:43:49 PM
Alot of us girls with curls always wanted straight hair. It is absolutely true in my book that we always want what we don't have. Used to do everything when I was younger to try to get it straight. But this curly girl has learned to accept her hair and let it be. It's actually become my trademark. Viva la Curls! (only cause I'm stuck with it.)
 Girlflower
Msg: 191
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/12/2007 4:38:26 AM
Bravo Existentailly! Last time I had that type of Pain in the Neck was my exhusband.... cut off 250 pounds of hairy back!!!! Rotf!

I know the one time of the year I do cut my hair is when it really starts getting in the way and at time causes aches and pains... just knocked off 10 inches this time.. lop lop oh what a relief that is...lol. We have a group hear called Locks of Love... for childern with cancer related baldness... little loves!
 capturedsunshine
Msg: 195
Long hair on older women
Posted: 6/19/2007 1:54:04 PM
Some older women can wear longer hair, and if well maintained (hair stylist) on a regular basis is becoming. However, that doesn't mean that every woman can wear longer hair like this. Mostly long hair on an older woman, especially if kept close to the face and hanging down, just makes everything else on her face look even more sagging. Just a fact.

In my opinion, I think women try to have longer hair to appease their male counterparts. Men have always loved long hair.

I like long hair too, but have long given up the fact that it doesn't look good on me anymore. So, I compromise and keep it just below chin length, where I have some flexibility, but it doesn't looked chopped off either. I'm ready for it to be styled again.... if I could just find the time.
 Connie56143
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:02:39 AM
I personally feel I look younger and better with my hair long. I have tried different lengths and styles from my natural straight to a curly perm. I think a woman's or man's for that matter style of hair is all up to the person's preferences. I will be 52 in August and when people guess my age it is usually late 30's to early 40's. I love it!!!
 Miss Angele
Msg: 201
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/11/2007 8:52:48 AM
I have always had waist length hair (just cut off 6"and I feel nakid with out it). In summer is it always french braided but down in the winter or cooler nites. I love the time I spent on my hair (dont do the makeup thing), and yeah upkeep is expensive, but its just simply a part of who I am and who I have always been. Besides what is sexier then a woman shaking out her long hair after it was up?
 moraima
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/11/2007 11:02:09 AM
We are all a lot more than just our hair - long or short.

Women with long hair may be seen by some as just eye candy, but treat us that way, and you will quickly learn differently.

Can you imagine thinking a man is eye candy just because he has facial hair
 cotter
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/11/2007 10:27:50 PM
HA!!! I don't want any man who judges me by the length of my hair ...

If I should get sick and lose it ... is he going to leave me because of that? I should hope not.

But if he does, then I hope he doesn't let the door hit him in the A$$ on his way out!!!
 realdream7
Msg: 208
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/17/2007 11:26:22 AM
I've had long hair my entire life. I often wear it up or tie it back when I need a more business look. It's a non-issue for me and truthfully, I'm surprised there is even a thread about it. I find men like it, but I keep it because *I* like it.

I think the hair-length issue is a hold-over from previous generations when older women were "expected" to cut their hair. Several months before my mom passed away 6 years ago, she said to me (out of the blue), "you know you are getting too old for that long hair, don't you? You're going to have to cut that." I said "yes mother". Now I loved my mom, but I recognized where she was coming from. For now and forever, the long hair stays.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 210
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/20/2007 8:25:50 PM
Not to offend any one but I just don't find long gray hair attractive on a women.

That's okay: we don't care if you do or don't. If my fella loves it, that's good enough for me. . .

Mzzzy
Msg: 213
Long hair on older women
Posted: 7/25/2007 9:32:15 AM
My grandkids would kill me if I cut mine..they love it.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >