Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rythmn
Msg: 67
view profile
History
this is not right paying child support to g/f not my kidsPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
are you saying this is taken into consideration as part of some palimony and /or divorce law (with or without kids, but considering household expenses) or that you are made to pay seperate child support as well? i heard of this in canada as being a barrier for single parents to re couple. never heard of it here, except as common law generalities, where it is all bundled together. same would apply, for example, if she were putting you through med school and then would be expected to continue with alimony.

is there a time frame on this, eg how long must you live with someone or be married to them, before this is applied and have you kept your prior assets seperate, as i know that with marriage, this is another issue in general. if you combined all assets and expenses, as well as income, then again--is this part of an agreed upon life style to date, which they take in consideration over time. also, what about the birth father's responsiblity here? is there a timeframe, eg. at some point she is expected to work and take over all of it? i have married friends here in CA who cannot get birth parents to cough up money, let alone a live in boyfriend!
 Stafford_Jim
Msg: 69
view profile
History
this is not right paying child support to g/f not my kids
Posted: 10/12/2009 8:12:13 PM

I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. Here is a thread explaining it further:

That still goes back to what I said in my original post. He may not be the father but since he believed the child to be his, he most likely has his name on the birth certificate listed as the father. It's pretty much in set in stone at the point.

Now it's highly unlikely, but if he can produce somehow the real biological father he could probably absolve himself of child support.

But just living with a woman who has children who clearly aren't yours is not going to earn you child support obligations unless you do something like adopt her children.

As much as I might care for someone else's child, or as much as I may love the mother. I would ABSOLUTELY NEVER adopt someone else's children. Do that and you're guaranteed to be obligated for child support if you should divorce.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >