Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does looks really matter or is it a +++ Bonus Package? +++      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bowlerman67
Msg: 43
Does looks really matter or is it a +++ Bonus Package? +++Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Here is my perspective on this topic. Looks are the first important thing, but not the most important. You could stand a 5'5 120-130 boobs, butt hot body and all and no fun at all to be with or you could have a lady who may have a few extra pounds but still cute, and just a blast to be with, I would take her any day of the week. To me and it is just my opinion only, so don't jump all over me about this becuase it is just an opinion , but most really hot women that I have known are too much maintenance( I am too laid back to do high maintenance). That type of personality usually takes 2 hours to get ready, have to have their make up on at all times, and just don't seem to be able to relax and just have a genuinely good time. That is what I want in a woman. So yes looks are important but they aren't everything to me.
 Soul Union
Msg: 44
Does looks really matter or is it a +++ Bonus Package? +++
Posted: 4/12/2008 2:49:48 PM
Does looks really matter??? - catalistdancer87

> Do looks really matter. Not, does looks really matter.
> You wouldn't say, 'Is my legs OK?'
> I think you should concentrate on your spelling and grammar. Pick up a book one day and read it. Educate yourself. Enlighten your mind. Don't worry about 'does' looks. It matters precious little how anyone else sees you or judges you. What matters is how you see yourself. You will realise this, probably in 20 or 30 years' time, when you have put yourself through arduous years of 'what do they think of me?' only to discover it doesn't actually matter. It doesn't mean anything. 'Their' opinion of you changes from day to day, according to how they feel about you and their mood at the time. It can all change in the blink of an eye. It is, therefore, worthless.
> Best wishes - Soul Union.
 NERO1
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/12/2008 3:33:52 PM
Looks matter, sure, but the person definitely doesn't have to be a centerfold layout or something like that either. In fact sometimes that's not even ideal, really.

For me it just has to be a "type" I find attractive or hot or whatever -- & sometimes my taste is not the same as some of my friends for instance. I can't really put a finger on what does that , for me. Obviously there are some people who are just going to be (probably, for the most part) considered universally good-looking by most people, there are many of these in fact, but the thing is sometimes on the "higher end" (so to speak) of that you can find people who are almost TOO good-looking! Sounds funny but it's true. I think perfection kind of intimidates most, whether they'll admit it or not. Whereas being about a 7 or 8 or so (out of 10 ) might still be in the realm of approachable, etc.
 rodeo74
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/12/2008 8:52:16 PM
I think that every relationship starts with some kind of physical attraction because that is human nature but once you get to know the person if they have a weak personality then the physical attraction no longer really matters if you can't stand to be around the person all day every day for the rest of your life and further.sincerely,rodeo GOD BLESS.
 SensualMystery
Msg: 47
Posted: 4/13/2008 2:43:36 AM
The older I get the more I look for other things in a woman. I realize now that stupid people get laid more and I wish I never picked up a book.

jj

The more experience you get the more you realize other things matter. :)
 tigerlily1
Msg: 48
Posted: 4/13/2008 3:53:11 AM
Men fall inlove with their eyes and women fall in love with their ears........

Its not always true but its a good guide to how it is.

Dont question it just accept it, And what visually appeals to some men may not visually appeal to others

blondes brunettes, legs, bums , eyes, feet. it could be anything, big small tall short what ever their visual version of attractive is........

Tarts usually do get attention, because they visually look like they will put out easily and their fore attract alot of attention, based on the fact men like sex, so that is different and they assume tarts dress that way to get that attention. Sometimes its just hot and how esle do you dress to go to the beach.......... So that is not always right either

doesnt mean that is the visual criteria for falling love.

Most guys are not fools, and the looks come first, personality next, then intelligence etc etc etc.......... th ewhole package make up the attraction.

some women go for looks jsut the same as men

but the first saying can be considered the average way it is..........
 blaka11
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/13/2008 11:22:42 AM
i say lets be real ..yes they do theres no other way to answer this ...i say when you lock eyes with girl/guy and if theres a click then proceed to target..i f not there are 6 billion people on this planet come now theres gotta be someone out there for ya!
 GREEN-EYED-ANGEL
Msg: 50
Posted: 4/14/2008 3:20:07 AM
It took me a while to come to this conclusion...yes, it does...maybe it shouldn't but...this is a dating site, which is a form of mate selection...a few years ago, I took a class in evolutionary psychology. Alot of it had to do w/ the hardwired behaviors of men & women, what we inherited from our ancestors, that animalistic part of us...some of it has been our life experience (ie. a man who likes blondes & his Mom was a blonde) & we get a "lovemap"!

Ultimately, a relationship will fail or stick due to our personalities & character... HOWEVER a relationship will not jumpstart w/o the bait that attracts the fishie...is this right or wrong? it's just the way things are...no answer to that one!

A few years ago, I met a gent in the forums & got to know him a bit from online & the phone...he had alot of wisdom...he was from Detroit...I am paraprasing here...he said honestly, do people come here saying I want to meet someone as ugly as a mudpost???

I'm sure there are many attractive people in here, but how many are attractive & have the character traits that you value?

My opinion is we can say looks don't matter, this & that doesn't matter, but then we'd be living in the Land of Denial. If you want to be successful in dating, embrace reality & make the best of it.

I'd also say watch The Millionaire Matchmaker TV show & listen to Patti Stanger, alot of people don't like what she has to say about men & women, because the truth hurts.
 bowlerman67
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/14/2008 9:44:59 PM
Ok I have a perfect example of this toptic to that may say opposite, but I still do think they do matter. But I met this lady a couple weeks back and was totally attracted to her physically, but never could get into her emotionally. Just wasn't my type. So in essence I guess I could date some lady with a little less looks but more of a personality to my liking. Isn't it such a tough call?
Posted: 7/8/2008 4:21:40 AM
The most important thing to me is good conversation. Plus I find a girl being educated on a subject I'm interested in, but not educated on, so... so sexy. I'd much rather have someone I could talk to all night and not realize it until the morning sun is blinding me through the curtains, than a hot little chick that can only talk about her hair and nails.
 Coma White
Msg: 53
Posted: 7/8/2008 3:09:27 PM
I'm not looking to date a girl that looks like a super model, but someone I have strong chemistry with. Looks matter, but you can be attracted to many different looks. I've dated girls that were preppy, gothic, tall, short, thin, chunky and I found all of them appealing. I think it helps build a strong relationship if you find your partner beautiful.
 BaldyisBeautiful
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 3:37:13 PM
OP with looks like yours does a post like this even matter?
 whispah1961
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 7/8/2008 4:30:15 PM
Growing up I was such an ugly duckling and was shunned and had only ugly friends. I was so distraught being judged by what I could NOT control (my outer shell ) I was not shy but very outgoing. I would do anything for friends. Through thick and thin, etc etc. Later in life I got pretty and then guys wanted to know me. I only picked the not so model types to go with cause I was there, and know that thier heart was good. Find someone you like for whats inside and that you can talk to and be friends with. When the looks are gone when you both get older then whats going to keep the 2 of you together? are you going to dump them for someone more attractive? Wanting to be turned on by an attractive person is fine for one night stands, fwb, or short term flings. But if you are looking for long-term, skip the looks and go for the heart.
 isoU
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/8/2008 10:43:02 PM
99.99% of MALES only consideration is LOOKs !

There are some .01% like myself ... but these guys have nothing to offer and they settle for even far less then looks.
 johnWbooth
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:11:13 AM
OP,
Looks matter to some more than others. I checked your profile and you are young, and have not single listed. So why are you asking if you are with someone. You are with someone for reasons. Ask yourself are you with him because of his looks? Then you may have your answer to your own question.
 ElectricLynn
Msg: 58
Posted: 8/5/2008 2:39:00 AM

Okay...It seems like some guys only care about a girls looks than what she has to offer...So my question is, well....lol....Does looks really matter???

Hell Yeah it matters? Does it matter if you prepare or dress up for a job interview? Not if you don't want the position - so why apply in the first place.

Best profiles I ever saw on this site was
NerdStatus who created a resume like profile AWESOME!
improvised_life who created a legal contract like profile starting with "The party of the first part..."

I think these two hit the nail right on the head. I keep my package good cause I want to not only land the best darn "xxx", but I want to hold on too.

xxx - insert what ever it is that you want in life - without effort, it can never be attained.
 CJDRN218
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/5/2008 4:23:48 AM
NO they DOESN"T!!!! LMFAO!!!!
BRAVO SOUL UNION!!!!!!! - "Do looks really matter. Not, does looks really matter.
You wouldn't say, 'Is my legs OK?' I think you should concentrate on your spelling and grammar. Pick up a book one day and read it. Educate yourself. Enlighten your mind. Don't worry about 'does' looks. "
My thoughts exactly!!! and how funny is it that the chick with her a$$ out in one pic and her t#*s out in the other is asking about looks?!?!?!
 WearRed
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/6/2008 10:37:03 PM
Of course it matters, but is just a part of the attraction package... Personally, if a man has the qualities I like, I tend to see him more attractive physically than when he lacks of those...
 shagrahar3
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/7/2008 10:28:00 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone else on here. Looks matter at first, It's just the first thing that jumps starts attraction. Then after that...it's up to the persons likes and dislikes. Some people think that"All cats are grey in the dark" anyway. They're not interested in your mind...
 namrael
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/7/2008 3:15:13 PM
Of course looks matter. Would you want to date someone you weren't attracted to? Would you really want to date someone who wasn't attracted to you? Looks are far from the only important factor, but if you're not feeling a physical attraction for someone, why would you try to be in a physical relationship with them?
 beniandthejets
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/7/2008 7:23:01 PM
It's not really that he/she think you look good, but whether or not their friends think you look good. Its terrible, but very true. They think to themselves, "will I be proud or embarrassed to be seen with this person?"
 celts123
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/7/2008 8:01:37 PM
There should be more to a relationship than just looks. But most people care about looks to some degree. Although some people will put more emphasis on looks than other people will.
 robfish
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/7/2008 11:41:48 PM

Growing up I was such an ugly duckling and was shunned and had only ugly friends. I was so distraught being judged by what I could NOT control (my outer shell ) I was not shy but very outgoing. I would do anything for friends. Through thick and thin, etc etc. Later in life I got pretty and then guys wanted to know me. I only picked the not so model types to go with cause I was there, and know that thier heart was good. Find someone you like for whats inside and that you can talk to and be friends with. When the looks are gone when you both get older then whats going to keep the 2 of you together? are you going to dump them for someone more attractive? Wanting to be turned on by an attractive person is fine for one night stands, fwb, or short term flings. But if you are looking for long-term, skip the looks and go for the heart.

I couldn't agree with you more! This is one of the best posts that I have read for a long time.
 DirtyOldManInTraining
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:21:26 AM
If looks really matter, then I'm up sh!t creek and my profile is worthless.
 scottoliver
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2008 8:43:11 AM
Op Everyone has what the want in that Special Someone. Whether its looks, brain, or other. Looks plays a pretty large part of what attracts someone to another.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Does looks really matter or is it a +++ Bonus Package? +++