Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Whataboutme2
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Vasectomy - what's the big deal?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Thanks Bryantinfl....that made my day! Have to say I am just telling it like I see it. Just me..

Have a great weekend
 cooldude
Msg: 87
Vasectomy - what's the big deal?
Posted: 10/13/2006 7:38:21 PM
I think a vasectomy is a personal choice that should be respected. Obviously if in a commited relationship the other persons input about it is important. Once its done, a reversal is costly and not always effective. So the choice to do it should be thought out carefully. My wife tried to get me to do one. And in the end I'm glad I didnt. She ended up cheating on me quite a few times anyway. If I get in a relationship were my partner never had children & really wanted to have one, well then it would be too late & might limit my future prospects as my partner wanting to have children. I have a good friend who had one. It was botched up. So now he walks with a permanent limp & has many surgeries to try to fix it. Along with sexual disfunctions. Since he's in the military he happened to sign a waiver that gave away his rights to sue if it went wrong. So I don't really don't care what other people think if I get one or not......because its my choice.
Peace, cooldude
 mogrl
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/14/2006 6:15:54 AM

So you've already had your kids OR don't want any to begin with. You're over...let's say 40, why wouldn't you get a vasectomy?

would you have a tubal ligation??
 eastendwoman
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/14/2006 6:47:52 AM
men who are most worried about what a vasectomy could 'mess up' probably don't have much in that department in the first place
 eastendwoman
Msg: 93
Posted: 10/14/2006 6:50:45 AM
so there's link between a vasectomy and protate cancer, there's also a proven link between female birth control and uterine cancer. same difference. your parts are no more important than a woman's
 cooldude
Msg: 96
What's the big deal?
Posted: 10/15/2006 12:47:09 PM
My point is that many of the same women that make off the cuff remarks and comments about what men should do with their bodies are the same women that would raise holly hell if a man told a woman what she can do with hers. The choice on weather or not to get a vasectomy rests with the man and the man alone.
Good point. If the tables were turned, I'm sure there would be hell to pay. I think of it this way, I tend to think, before I say something, how would I feel if I were in the other persons shoes.
 frenchbearman
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 10/16/2006 1:59:33 AM
At my age I seldon run into a woman that has not been fixed, so why go threw it!

Barry
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/16/2006 4:24:24 AM
Seems like some people are having surgery based on what relationships they are in at the time the way they are describing it.

Question: if you're done having kids, does it matter if you end up single again? You still don't want kids whether you stay in the relationship or not. Why would you have to change that decision or regret the surgery? I find that strange.

You'd just find someone who's ok with not having any/more kids...I would imagine.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 107
Posted: 10/19/2006 6:28:29 AM

what to do in a similar situation man was snipped from previous marriage but his new girlfriend wants to have another kid what to do then eh?

This is my point. Are people running around having surgeries for their SOs? That's pretty stupid. If you don't want any more, have the surgery. If you do want more, then don't have the surgery, it's pretty black and white - what does your marital status have to do with it?

Answer to the question: The new girlfriend should already know it ain't gonna happen or she moves on - I would HOPE it would be discussed in the beginning of the relationship. If you haven't told her, now's a good time, sheesh. You tell her you're done having kids, and that's it - plain and simple.
 dvd1711
Msg: 108
Posted: 10/19/2006 7:16:04 AM
oh, you are under informed.

You have general anesthesia. That's the local part. The pulling of your pipes still hurts. You are still cut, so when the anesthesia wears off, then comes the burn and other discomfort.

All that said, I don't think it's the procedure. For me, I had it done years ago. Now I'm going through divorce.

For some women, not getting them pregnant is a good thing. But it also illiminates the pool of women who want to have a baby with their man. It doesn't seem fair - she can still offer pregnancy to a man, I could not a woman. That's just how it worked out. I am a man and I made the decision, so I am ok with it.

The finallity of it is more the issue than the process. And YES! You feel it.

Peace.
/Dave
 IdoAllmyOwnStunts
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 10/23/2006 6:06:26 AM
id like to get one but i cant be in a cast for six weeks...
 Just_2_b_me
Msg: 114
Posted: 10/23/2006 12:40:37 PM
I had it done over eight years ago, it was quick and relatively easy, I got to lay around all weekend and let the wife wait on me, and sex with no worries about having any more kids was a great thing.

It's been even better since my divorce, every lady I had the pleasure of dating was quite happy that there were no chances of getting pregnant as all of them were still very fertile.

Current girlfriend and I were getting a little steamy one evening in the beginning of our relationship, she pulled away and rolled to the other side of the couch and said " I guess I have to to go to the Dr. and get back on the pill" to which I replied "that will not be necessary" She looked at me ???? I explained, and she rolled right back over to my side of the couch, as there was now no need to restrain ourselves.... we didn't
 prolibertate
Msg: 115
Posted: 10/23/2006 2:52:08 PM
Msg 17 - actually you do need anesthesia for the Essure procedure...and there's no way I'd want them putting what they use for it in my fallopian tubes; also, it's irreversible, unlike other procedures. Vasectomy is much less invasive than the other female sterilization procedures; men I know that have had one say it's not painful - it's the reversing it that's the painful procedure and many vasectomies can be reversed, as can many female procedures. If a man is that concerned about unwanted pregnancy and knows he doesn't ever want kids, then he can have a vasectomy, use a condom and spermicide, or abstain if he's unsure about the woman's contraceptive use.

http://www.essure.com/EssurePermanentBirthControlbyConceptus/Understanding/QuestionsAnswers/tabid/59/Default.aspx
 sparticuss
Msg: 119
Posted: 10/28/2006 8:48:10 AM
Ok, but would your opinion change if no woman - EVER AGAIN- would have sex with you unless you'd had the procedure
=========================
Stop jabbering mindlesssly about "maybes" and "hypotheticals" In reality street I've actually scored less, since my vasectomy , than before it.

And it it'snt the men who make a big deal about vasectomies. It the damn female drama queens. And they make a big deal about everything and nothing.
 Helen0426
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/25/2009 1:47:48 PM
Good one, Zeke.

I consider it a huge bonus if a guy's had a vasectomy - and have talked with several who do not want children but won't do it. They freely admit that the idea freaks them out and they are scared.

I do not date them because they are also the kind of people who won't go to the dentist and don't get stitches when they need them.

If a man just isn't ready to take that irrevocable step, that, I understand. I wish he would, but it does mean giving up the occasional daydream. I get that! I can wait and use birth control 'til he's ready. (I'm not a good candidate for tubal ligation, and, though that is somewhat less invasive than it used to be, a vasectomy remains a good deal less invasive still.)

But I have dated a couple of men who've had vasectomies, and it is wonderful. Total freedom, no worries. Perhaps because of that, it had a hugely positive effect on their attitudes toward sex, too.
 Helen0426
Msg: 124
Posted: 9/25/2009 2:55:10 PM
^^ Avoiding it because of your uncle's freak experience is akin to refusing stitches because you might get MRSA.

Actually the second is more likely.

It's more like refusing to fly because the plane might crash.
 Helen0426
Msg: 127
Posted: 9/26/2009 9:10:09 AM

I guess you missed this part...

I'm not against getting a vasectomy and I would get it done after I've "put my stake in the ground", got married, and had the number of children that I wanted.

I saw it. I was deliberately ignoring your dishonesty in your profile about this (it does not say "Yes" to "Do you want children?") as it is off-topic.

My remarks were addressed not to you specifically, but to those who might be scared off by such random and extraordinarily rare horror stories. I think it was irresponsible of you to post it. I don't talk to pregnant women about the possibility of death due to complications in childbirth.

... with orders to NOT get an erection for HOW many days? AND I have to sit on an icepack for HOW LONG?

Don't know where you got that idea. Not only is it not verboten, you'd need to, to provide samples to test for whether or not it worked completely. And you might need to ice a little for a couple of days, off and on, depending how you respond to the minor insult (yep, it's minor - I've had accidental cuts that were deeper, and still only required a few stitches; you probably have, too). Frozen peas are recommended for that...

Finally, it's also the reason that men wont contact women who put "Open/Undecided" under the category of wants kids. I crack up when I see women over 45 who say that.

They are probably considering the fact that some men in their age range may already have younger children, indicating that they are open to that.

The National Cancer Institute, which has no dog in this hunt, finds a link between vasectomy and any form of cancer, though not disprovable (very little is, after all), unlikely:
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/risk/vasectomy
 Fairhome
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2009 6:06:26 PM
I've read where a man shoots 5% less fluid after he's been snipped. I can't afford to give up a drop. I wish I could shoot 500% more! I wouldn't do it- she'll have to get her tubes tied. I've had enough cutting down there. I wish I had never been circumsized- a part of me is gone that I can never get back.
 Helen0426
Msg: 132
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:05:56 AM

And guess what... there IS an emotional aspect no matter how much you or anyone else tries to minimize it.

Of course there is! That is natural. But medically speaking, for a little perspective - it is considerably lower-risk than rhinoplasty, breast implants, or liposuction.

I absolutely would have this done were I a man. A few days' pain, with a complications rate of about 2%? In exchange for pregnancy-worry-free sex for the rest of my life? No-brainer!
 ron62449
Msg: 134
Posted: 9/28/2009 8:52:55 AM
At 60 I can't see myself dating a woman who's 'baby factory' is still open.

Ron
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 137
Posted: 10/5/2009 6:48:10 PM
No big deal at all had it done in dec of 04 and have never been happier!!!
I really think it bumped up my sex drive!!!!....lol
Guys if you are done having kids I highly recommend it!!!
I am 42 do I really want to be having a kid getting out of High school when I am 60?!?!?!?!?
Just my 2 cents!!!
 Chitownguy40
Msg: 138
Posted: 10/5/2009 9:14:00 PM
It is a very smart thing to do. I suspect the reason more men don't do it is they fear some lose of sexual potency. A myth, of course. But some guys still believe it.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 140
Posted: 10/6/2009 1:57:45 PM
meh, all my friends thought I was crazy for getting one. It was the best birthday present I ever gave to myself. I was 18. Had to go to 4 diff doctors to get it, but it has saved a life time of headache.
Now that they are all 40-42 and divorced and paying child support... they dont think it was such a bad idea.
 Home_for_30
Msg: 141
Posted: 2/21/2010 11:49:17 PM
Had one, but they knocked me out cold...hurt a little after. Actually more sexual now, maybe without the stress of getting someone preggos realxed me.
 Strings6
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2010 3:20:34 PM
Want to have some fun...do it and don't tell anybody...then let some women try to tell you she's pregnant with your baby...priceless
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >