Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tj71
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Will a non smoker date a smoker ?Page 12 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I am a non smoker and have always been very against it. I met my now ex gf a year ago and after talking to her on the phone found out she was a smoker. (first sign was her deep voice, then she told me) Against my own judgment I agreed to meet her that night and found out she was very nice and we hit it off and started dating. Within a few weeks I found out she was a very heavy smoker! 3 packs a day. Since I only saw her once a week it took a few weeks to see this! I made a big mistake staying. Our relationship suffered greatly because I started nagging her to quit as I was watching someone I cared about dearly commit suicide in front of my very eyes! She ended up quitting for 2 months with Chantix and Hypnosis but due to all the damage that was already done (and the HORRIFIC side effects of Chantix!) we were fighting too much and ended up breaking up. During this time she went back to smoking. This addiction is very serious people! Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet. You are more likely to get addicted to Nicotine than Cocaine, Heroine or Alcohol. Only 5% of people who attempt to QUIT stay quit. Most people will sadly never quit and will DIE due to smoking...

For me if I wish to get with someone Long Term they have to be healthy and smoking is the worst thing you can do to your health. So it's the biggest deal breaker for me. Now if I was after a friend or Short Term/booty call, then I would not care as much. I would voice my concern but I would then leave it be and not push them. My ex never understood this.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 71
Will a non smoker date a smoker ?
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:51:42 PM
I would never do it in a million years; it's disgusting and a huge turn off; end of story; I would never date a smoker.

then if you marry one, the pain of seeing them die of some smoking related disease isn't fun either. No thanks.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/7/2009 3:38:06 PM
One of my university fraternity brothers died of emphysema/lung cancer problems last year at the age of 65 after suffering terribly for several years from the effects of a lifetime of very heavy smoking. His widow is heartbroken. His nonsmoking father who lived to be 95 did not die until after his son died.

Today I heard of another man I have known for years, a regular but not heavy smoker, who now has emphysema at the age of 66. Although he requires oxygen he still continues to smoke.

Must be one hell of an addiction that keeps people doing this to themselves and others who must breath the air their second hand smoke fouls.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2009 4:56:07 PM
I would never date a smoker because I see them as being weak minded. Why would I date someone who does not have enough control over their own actions to stop doing something that is unhealthy and will probably kill them someday?
 carol636
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:52:36 AM
Nope. It's a deal-breaker for me. Been around too many smokers in my family (3p/day step-grandad...ew!) and step-dad died of lung cancer, in addtion to how the smoker's clothes, breath, hands, home, car - EVERYTHING smells (and tastes). No thanks. No way.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:27:13 PM
After dating a non smoker, I'd be hesitant to do it again. I really really missed the awesome kisses you get from someone who isn't holding their breath and refusing to open their mouth even a tiny bit.
 barbee1970
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:52:35 AM
Most men I date smoke. I only met very few non-smokers. I even married a smoker years back.

I just don't want a drinker. I don't want to hear "I was drunk when I met/married you". Come on I may not be supermodel material, but I am not that ugly. Oh anyway I'm not an airhead like those supermodels.
 Bootaholic21
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 1:21:47 PM
I've always been a non-smoker but would love to date a woman who smokes. I find a female smoker very sexy and sensual. Some women are okay with knowing you like them smoking, others think it's an unusual fetish and shy away. It's ironic really, considering they have actually found a guy who would accept their smoking fully.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:07:40 PM

MsMaureenw
Emotion/physical reasons for not quitting. I cannot understand why someone cannot quit.

You don't know, what you don't know. I quit in '86, just stopped, though my late Wife still smoked for another year. I could even light one for her and not want to smoke one myself. I started smoking again 11 years later and can say with certainty that the Cigarettes today are more addictive than they were before.

As for smoker/non-smokers my SIL smokes and her husband never did. My MIL smoked and my FIL never did. Some people can deal with it, others can't. But for the most part, the most hard core antis are former smokers, much more than those who never smoked in their lives. This is true for most addictions.

The people who get me, are the ones who smoke weed, but won't date a smoker.

VVVVVVV I've heard some guys say, "If she'll put a cig in her mouth, she'll put anything there". I'd be surprised, as a guy, if you hadn't heard that comment, from other guys too. VVVVV
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:18:47 PM
I don't know if there is any studies to back this up but in my findings I have found women smokers tend to be a bit more wild on average than non-smokers. This is not fool proof nor an exact science but just from my gut. So in answer to your question, while I don't smoke I would consider an in frequent smoker...that is if she was wild...but if she's a dud, pass the Nicolette.
 FSU9144
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:10:55 PM
Yes, I would date someone who smokes.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:53:49 PM

I would say that it would depend entirely on who the non-smoker and the smoker is, as the answer would vary.

As for this non-smoker personally, I probably would never date a smoker. Unless she was really smoking.
 AstroCat505
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/7/2013 7:11:42 PM
No! One of my biggest pet peeves is smoking. I hate the smell, I hate the taste, and I hate the sight. Even the hottest woman can be downgraded to a passcard just by putting a cigarette to her lips.
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:04:34 PM
I will not date a smoker.
 Rabbitman49
Msg: 95
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:09:57 PM
Generally, neither will I. Back in high school, I once kissed a friend who smoked. I was gagging for a minute after that. I also find the smell offensive and the smoke bothers my eyes.

Since then, I dated a smoker once, but I made it clear to her that I would not kiss her because she smoked. That didn't last long.
 activemelaney
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:26:52 AM
Never.

I never even dated ex smokers. I'm just not attracted to the type of individual who doesn't have something inside of themselves to have a certain discipline in life. I suppose some may have experimented as a teen (I never did) but I'm baffled why anyone with a brain ever smoked after trying it a couple of times. The habit is bad enough but it also says volumes about one's character.
 Walking_Contradiction
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2013 9:33:11 AM
As long as she's courteous about it (i.e., not in the car, or at least pop open the window), doesn't bother me.

Could I LIVE with/be in a long term relationship with a smoker? Seeing as how the smell of smoke pervades everything the smoker touches (bedsheets, clothing, frequently occupied rooms), probably not.
 activemelaney
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2013 5:46:42 PM
No, no exceptions.

As an RN no desire to hook up with a walking cancer time bomb. See the effects every day. Also, just says something about an individual's lack of self discipline.

One guy wanted to date me and said he was trying to quit. WTF...why would anyone with a brain smoke at all. Zero intelligence? No discipline? A sheep influenced by peers? If you are over 16 and hadn't quit yet...duh!!

Fortunately in Seattle smoking has just disappeared among educated professionals. None of my colleagues or friends smoke. Probably it's more prevalent in the south and southeastern states that have low education levels.
 ImpassionedAdventure
Msg: 106
Posted: 7/2/2013 8:35:11 AM
To all the traditional smokers, move out of the dark side and go to the light, with E-Cigarettes.

I have already had a couple friends that are heavy smokers move over to E-Cigs and they are extremely happy as are the rest of us because we don't have to be around the smoke. Also, one of them is using it to break his habit and seems to be working quit well.
 meetme28269
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 1:17:58 PM
I Realize active Melanie is no longer with us,believe she discovered the error of her ways and eloped with a smoker.
Exactly what does smoking have to do with character? I can see the connection to discipline but not to character.
Perhaps FDR, JFK,and more recently Pres Obama as smokers all lack character.
Find another reason for your bias.
 activemelaney
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2013 6:32:33 PM
^^^^
Ya sure. Lack of discipline, and destructive lifestyle are sure signs of good character.(not) . Unlike yourself, I don't worship politicians or other celebrities as paradigms of positive role models. If an individual doesn't have the wherewithal to yakE care of their own health then they are not in a position to take care of their partner. They have a warped perception of priorities in life....good health or another cigarette. A no brainier.
 gtomustang
Msg: 109
Posted: 7/4/2013 7:03:07 PM
I had two LDR with women who smoked--tobacco and 420. They just didn't do it around me during the weekends we were together. If I could find a smoker w/ killer personality who could give me that level of respect and looked hawt, I'd give her a chance.

otherwise, its rare to find a smoker who can wash her hair before the date and not wear smoky clothing, apparently (one of the two mentioned above simply bought something new to wear--win win for both of us, I guess :) ). I'm always amazed at the amount of smokers I see trying to bum one of those expensive killers off a stranger. Geez, buy your own, dude. do you ask complete strangers to buy you gasoline, too? :)
 browneyesseeking
Msg: 111
Posted: 7/4/2013 7:50:43 PM
Absolutely NOT!
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 112
Posted: 7/4/2013 9:05:23 PM
I would never date a SMOKER!!! ....Even though I smoke cigarettes,...wait are we talking about gay pole smoking, or are we labelling people with a strange term...If you eat beef are you a beefer,lmao...Ahhh, people never cease to amaze me...
BUT SERIOUSLY...I would not date a (person) that smokes, I mean a SMOKER!!!, as long as it is not popular, and I then have an outlet to release some aggression onto people, because really it is not socially acceptable to bash gayies anymore :(...

Though in the future, if I am told through media, that smoking is socially acceptable again, I would defiantly date a SMOKER!!!, it would be alright again :)...
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/5/2013 9:18:19 AM
There are non-smokers who are willing to date smokers. You just have to ask them. Many choose not to because the effects of smoking follow you throughout your day and life. Some people are willing to live with the inconvenience...others aren't. Potentially shorter lifespan, increased chance of a long and painful death, as well as having a unique odor and flavor every day. I'll pass, but there are people who don't find the effects repugnant. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >