Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 squeak077
Msg: 57
Will a non smoker date a smoker ?Page 3 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
It is a nasty habit.. a friend even married a woman who was an ex smoker and after the first child stress and other problems she started smoking again using stress and the key factor. I believe that would be grounds for a divorce.
 i_am_tiff_21
Msg: 58
Will a non smoker date a smoker ?
Posted: 2/14/2009 8:00:39 PM
In my profile (which is hidden) I put in the mail settings that you must not smoke. I'm not interested in dating smokers.
 ImAHotMess
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/15/2009 12:50:23 PM
I will not date smokers. I just cannot stand the smell of it and I do not want my clothes or home smelling like cigarettes. Not to mention, I like to kiss a lot, and who wants to suck face with an ash tray? I just get too creeped out thinking how hard I am working in the gym, to get into shape and keep my diet clean. The thought of my lover smoking, while I am doing all that is just NOT appealing. I have friends who smoke, and I **** at them all the time...lol I do not want to **** at a lover. No reason to go into anything, already knowing something will be that annoying!!!
 barbee1970
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/15/2009 8:56:18 PM
Why not, unless she's allergic. My dad always had clouds in the house. I have yet to date a guy who doesn't smoke.
 Ideoform
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 2/16/2009 9:28:06 AM
I've dated smokers in College. They hadn't had the long years of smoking that were ahead of them, so they were thin, and still in shape, and thought it looked cool. But often they would be short on cash because of having to buy cigarrettes. They probably were limited in how much they could smoke because they were students...

I met one guy who used to smoke on the front porch of the duplex I stayed in during college. It was fun talking to him out on the porch, but he was always chain-smoking. I wanted children someday so I thought he might not be such a good choice to date.

20 years later we met again. He said he never did quit for anyone, because the addiction is so strong it was like suffocating when he would try to stop. Until he started coughing up blood. He got extremely sick, but didn't quit until it felt like he had to quit or die.

He had been a non-smoker for a few years by the time we met the second time, and we dated, and we fell in love. I think he had some COPD (scarring in his lungs) from it, which made it harder for him to exercise. He's gone now, but I always wondered how it might have been if he hadn't been a chain-smoker back then. Would he have quit for me? Probably not. Addiction is a funny thing--it tends to overshadow everything else, even love.

My mother, sister, brother, grandfather all smoked. They all had the most difficult time trying to quit. Years of frustration. And these are all strong-willed, successful people in every other area of their lives. My grandfather had a terrible smoker's cough, and we always knew when he was in a crowd...he ended up dying of cancer.

I have two teenage boys who were raised in a home where nobody ever smoked. I don't want to bring someone into their lives that does something I am telling them not to do. Children learn by what they see you doing, not by what you tell them they should be doing.

I used to go dancing a lot. The places were all full of smoke. My eyes would burn and I would get headaches those nights I went dancing from the smoke. Back then I was young and very in shape and it was OK. But I have noticed now that I am older it bothers me more. I can have shortness of breath, and my heart races in a smoky room, even though when I go to the gym and exercise vigorously for an hour, I get none of these things.

One thing I have learned from relationships over the years, is never to go into a relationship wanting to change someone in any significant way. You may change over time, you may inspire and influence each other, you may grow together or apart, but you have to love them as they are. If I were to date a smoker at my age, I would be worried for his health, and I might slip into "nagging" someone without meaning to. I would hate for anyone to feel that constant pull between a strong addiction, and the one they love. I think it would put a strain on any relationship.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 64
Posted: 2/17/2009 2:04:31 PM
I will not date a smoker. These days I would be hard pressed to name a friend who still smokes. I no longer socialize with smokers since I do not want to breath second hand smoke, aka evironmental tobacco smoke which contains all sorts of toxins such as radon, poisons and carbon monoxide. Thank God I live in Southern California where even the bars are smoke free.
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 66
Posted: 2/19/2009 3:51:35 PM
I love to kiss and kissing a smoker is like kissing an ashtray. Besides how nice is it to cuddle with someone that smells from smoke... I passed on a few girls cause they smoked.
 Ebony83
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2009 11:56:05 PM
I think you should let them decide... I personally am not one to judge I think that works fine so long as the same respect is given to me
 trekkor1228
Msg: 69
Posted: 3/24/2009 11:18:22 AM
so bill based on your remark it would be safe to assume you'd happily date an alcoholic ??? because to me smokers are in the same class as alchys---you're both addicted to a legal drug/narcotic(if you don't agree look up www.dictionary.com) which the odds are overhwhelmingly against you living as healthy & as long as you could & often will negatively affect the lives of those around you whereas a drunk driver's actions kill right away & smoker's contribute to slower deaths over a longer time

& please don't use the "well i can get hit by a car tomorrow" argument--for every person who gets hit by a car there are millions who don't & for every George Burns there are hundreds of thousands living miserable lives/dying miserable deaths

so if you want superficial how about those who won't date based on eye color? zodiac sign? occupation?
 tj71
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2009 12:31:02 PM
I am a non smoker and have always been very against it. I met my now ex gf a year ago and after talking to her on the phone found out she was a smoker. (first sign was her deep voice, then she told me) Against my own judgment I agreed to meet her that night and found out she was very nice and we hit it off and started dating. Within a few weeks I found out she was a very heavy smoker! 3 packs a day. Since I only saw her once a week it took a few weeks to see this! I made a big mistake staying. Our relationship suffered greatly because I started nagging her to quit as I was watching someone I cared about dearly commit suicide in front of my very eyes! She ended up quitting for 2 months with Chantix and Hypnosis but due to all the damage that was already done (and the HORRIFIC side effects of Chantix!) we were fighting too much and ended up breaking up. During this time she went back to smoking. This addiction is very serious people! Nicotine is one of the most addictive drugs on the planet. You are more likely to get addicted to Nicotine than Cocaine, Heroine or Alcohol. Only 5% of people who attempt to QUIT stay quit. Most people will sadly never quit and will DIE due to smoking...

For me if I wish to get with someone Long Term they have to be healthy and smoking is the worst thing you can do to your health. So it's the biggest deal breaker for me. Now if I was after a friend or Short Term/booty call, then I would not care as much. I would voice my concern but I would then leave it be and not push them. My ex never understood this.
 mthomjmark
Msg: 71
Posted: 4/19/2009 3:51:42 PM
I would never do it in a million years; it's disgusting and a huge turn off; end of story; I would never date a smoker.

then if you marry one, the pain of seeing them die of some smoking related disease isn't fun either. No thanks.
 Gaddflye
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/7/2009 3:38:06 PM
One of my university fraternity brothers died of emphysema/lung cancer problems last year at the age of 65 after suffering terribly for several years from the effects of a lifetime of very heavy smoking. His widow is heartbroken. His nonsmoking father who lived to be 95 did not die until after his son died.

Today I heard of another man I have known for years, a regular but not heavy smoker, who now has emphysema at the age of 66. Although he requires oxygen he still continues to smoke.

Must be one hell of an addiction that keeps people doing this to themselves and others who must breath the air their second hand smoke fouls.
 chuckyB51
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2009 4:56:07 PM
I would never date a smoker because I see them as being weak minded. Why would I date someone who does not have enough control over their own actions to stop doing something that is unhealthy and will probably kill them someday?
 carol636
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 9:52:36 AM
Nope. It's a deal-breaker for me. Been around too many smokers in my family (3p/day step-grandad...ew!) and step-dad died of lung cancer, in addtion to how the smoker's clothes, breath, hands, home, car - EVERYTHING smells (and tastes). No thanks. No way.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 7/5/2009 7:27:13 PM
After dating a non smoker, I'd be hesitant to do it again. I really really missed the awesome kisses you get from someone who isn't holding their breath and refusing to open their mouth even a tiny bit.
 barbee1970
Msg: 78
Posted: 7/25/2009 7:52:35 AM
Most men I date smoke. I only met very few non-smokers. I even married a smoker years back.

I just don't want a drinker. I don't want to hear "I was drunk when I met/married you". Come on I may not be supermodel material, but I am not that ugly. Oh anyway I'm not an airhead like those supermodels.
 Bootaholic21
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 1:21:47 PM
I've always been a non-smoker but would love to date a woman who smokes. I find a female smoker very sexy and sensual. Some women are okay with knowing you like them smoking, others think it's an unusual fetish and shy away. It's ironic really, considering they have actually found a guy who would accept their smoking fully.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 84
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:07:40 PM

MsMaureenw
Emotion/physical reasons for not quitting. I cannot understand why someone cannot quit.

You don't know, what you don't know. I quit in '86, just stopped, though my late Wife still smoked for another year. I could even light one for her and not want to smoke one myself. I started smoking again 11 years later and can say with certainty that the Cigarettes today are more addictive than they were before.

As for smoker/non-smokers my SIL smokes and her husband never did. My MIL smoked and my FIL never did. Some people can deal with it, others can't. But for the most part, the most hard core antis are former smokers, much more than those who never smoked in their lives. This is true for most addictions.

The people who get me, are the ones who smoke weed, but won't date a smoker.

VVVVVVV I've heard some guys say, "If she'll put a cig in her mouth, she'll put anything there". I'd be surprised, as a guy, if you hadn't heard that comment, from other guys too. VVVVV
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2013 5:18:47 PM
I don't know if there is any studies to back this up but in my findings I have found women smokers tend to be a bit more wild on average than non-smokers. This is not fool proof nor an exact science but just from my gut. So in answer to your question, while I don't smoke I would consider an in frequent smoker...that is if she was wild...but if she's a dud, pass the Nicolette.
 FSU9144
Msg: 88
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:10:55 PM
Yes, I would date someone who smokes.
 AvailableinIndy
Msg: 89
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:11:14 PM
I have tried twice to date smokers...I just couldn't do it. I don't like kissing an ashtray. sorry.

Usually it will say on someones profile if they perfer a non smoker or not...
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 90
Posted: 3/7/2013 6:53:49 PM

I would say that it would depend entirely on who the non-smoker and the smoker is, as the answer would vary.

As for this non-smoker personally, I probably would never date a smoker. Unless she was really smoking.
 AstroCat505
Msg: 91
Posted: 3/7/2013 7:11:42 PM
No! One of my biggest pet peeves is smoking. I hate the smell, I hate the taste, and I hate the sight. Even the hottest woman can be downgraded to a passcard just by putting a cigarette to her lips.
 ImReadyForUnow
Msg: 93
Posted: 3/7/2013 9:04:34 PM
I will not date a smoker.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >