Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 writedan
Msg: 11
Are Profiles an Exercise in Self-Deception?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I don't know. I think there are a select few that honestly try to put the honest to God's truth and then there are people who's profile read like a "pre-owned car" when it should just say used. The fact of the matter is people including myself are putting their profile in for strangers to read in hopes that they are interested. I feel dirty all of a sudden I just realized I'm in an autotrader except for people. They tell half truths, lies, and what i call fluff. How either they perceive themselves or would like others to perceive them as. Thats all my insight for now.
 Whitegirl420
Msg: 22
Are Profiles an Exercise in Self-Deception?
Posted: 10/19/2006 2:07:31 PM
I met some liers .....I think it is funny
.....now I look at it like it is
a blind date and hope I get a catch....
Hey if worst comes to worst then
at least I get free drinks
 armyguy35
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/20/2006 3:11:11 AM
Wow this is actually a good topic.I dont know about guys profiles, because me personally I like outdoor plumbing (sorry gamerkai, dont mean to break your heart) lol just kidding dont kill me.ANyway Ive noticed you can read a womans profile, and she seems like shes too good to be true, she says all she wants is a guy she can trust thats not out to cheat, or use her for just one thing...and her "deamnds" if you will, dont seem that outrageous at all.and then you scroll down!!!! to message this user you must meet the following criteria: and the list is longer than her entire profile.I think its funny actually.I mean we all have your preferences, and thats fine.But comeon
 G.G.
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 10/30/2006 10:39:32 PM
Hey now my profile doesnt say anything that will blow my own horn. I dont say I'm sweet or charming and infact I do say that the first date is not an audition so leave your act for the stage lol. People who try and find an attractive way to label themselves in their profile are out to sell a product and I'm not looking for someone on the market because who knows who else has pulled him off the shelf and handled him lol
-Gina
 bobwho
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 10/31/2006 12:34:35 AM
Profiles are an excersize of self DEPICTION. whether true or false, imaginary, delusional, historical, actual, wishful, ideal, deceitful, inept, random or accurate is not important because its unverifyable. You don't find out until its too late to change your mind about looking into it. You either have them pegged or you don't, but you won't know until you waste time trying to know what you think you understand about a bunch of words in your zipcode. There are all kinds and your experience has nothing to do with profiles. But we like to think it does. Its a fantasy to think you can sit around on the internet and go true love shopping. That desire is so strong we all do it even if we know damn well its not even worth making an effort to sort it all out. Its not that online dating does'nt work, its just that it works as well as whatever you are doing in life without the fantasy profiling and lurking. Thats because its risk free familiar single insecure hormonal complainy afraid oversensative frustrated happy sad good bad indifferent human beings who have all been in relationships before and pretend that we want it again even though sitting around typing is exactly what single lonely people do, since they clearly enjoy that freedom. If you really want a relationship you stop obsessing on yourself and pay attention to people, and then relationships occur. But were here to go shopping while at the same time sell ourselves as merchandise which in turn serves as currency in our transactions of egao fear and pride. I'm not criticizing my behavior or anyone elses, I'm just noticing the results. If the dersire that drives us all here was fulfilled here, then the place would be empty. And in a way it is empty of couples who are busy feeling exactly like they do when they are single, only thats not something to fix or fantacize about online window shopping. Or is it? If we find our true love then we're going to have to live up to being their true love simultaneously, and the odds of that are pretty steep when we concern ourselves with our shopping list, but not theirs. Relationships happen by relating and sharing the good, bad, stupid, real, flawed, beautiful, smelly, whatever, whatever, and being able to accept and enhance one another mutually in the process. And its hard to do that if you really prefer to spend time behind a keyboard where you can spend ten years with personal ads everywhere and absolutely no intention of doing anything that might lead to a relationship. That would end the denial that what we really want we really get, even when we aren't happy or satisfied with the results. Or so we say. It finally occured to me that if I just keep on setting my standards beyond reality I am certain to attain the security of a familiar friend: singleness. Lets face it, everyone in this room wants the same thing. Thats why we're all here getting it, together, all alone. The rest are together with each other, finding a common ground of companionship, comprimise, and communication - one on one - a la carte, and are no longer looking over the menu before placing an order. And thats scarey as hell from where we sit all safe and alone. History has demonstarted that it feels like there is a whole lot more to lose then there is to gain. Or else we'd hsvre it all. This is a put down. Self depiction through online profiles is an act of an idealist or an egomaniac with an inferiority complex. Now if that doesn't make you hot, then I will. If it does, then I'm afraid and will run and hide in fear.
 ManCrap
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/3/2006 1:20:42 PM
NO way! gold-digging, self-absorbed, unrealistic would be more like it. Oops, I meant that for a woman
 armyguy-35
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/4/2006 5:21:01 PM
Im not sure but Ive only met ONE woman from here..was suppose to meet her somewhere, and she stood me up, after saying that she would never do that to a guy
 shakerempire
Msg: 33
Posted: 11/15/2006 12:44:03 AM
My opinion on the profiles is...People don't really know themselves.
 Wreckless2
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/9/2007 4:30:16 PM
Well I think some women are deceptive.... but most realize who, where, and what they want..., and some men are unsure as to what they are till a woman puts him in his place....

Native Sunshine did it to me once, I do not mess with her anymore

and a few know exactly who they are , and what they are doing.... But alot of can spot those dirty ...and quickly throw 'em back.
 Pete73052
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/9/2007 5:41:05 PM
I like this quote from last year:

So, I should change my profile to read, "evil, histrionic, half wit, seeking philandering, disease ridden, unemployed man?"

I take it by now, Mom, you've had your fill of these...
 Pete73052
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/9/2007 8:06:32 PM
Yeah right... like you didn't whiten those teeth...
Show ALL Forums  > California  >