Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 frankster_p
Msg: 84
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.Page 3 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
That game in the 82 world cup when Paolo Rossi scored a hat trick against Brazil is a classic.
That brazil team some say was the greatest brazil team ever. With Socrates, and Zico.

People in brazil commited suicide when they lost to Italy and were out of the tournament.
 ndru1028
Msg: 85
Greatest footballer (soccer) Pele or Maradona? Or any other you decide.
Posted: 1/19/2008 9:20:53 AM
Frank..You could easily add Socrates to the list as well .
 Chilywily
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/20/2008 12:01:48 PM
I would prefer me. No seriously who was good back in the days I would say Edson Arante De Nacimiento (Pele) was the best soccer/football player all time on my books.
 ndru1028
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/21/2008 4:03:51 PM
Georg Best could be mentioned in that breath as well. As a child I was given his book "On the Ball" for my birthday. A unusual gift for American boys living in Dallas Texas in the early 1970's. Sad what alcohol can do to a man. He will be remembered as one of the best of all time.
 frankster_p
Msg: 90
Posted: 2/1/2008 7:04:48 AM
What team(s) did you play for mate?
 ndru1028
Msg: 94
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:07:29 AM
In American sports we would call Larsson a role player. A role player has a certain role or mission that helps the TEAM win as a whole. One game in a Champions League Final WILL NOT in ANY WAY make him mentionable in the same breathe as C. Ronaldo, Kaka, Giggs, Romario, Messi, Shevchenko, Nedved, Drogba, Luis Garcia, Gerrard or henry just to name a few. Larson may be good but he has never been Great.
 frankster_p
Msg: 95
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:20:47 AM
C Ronaldo still has a way to go b4 he is regarded as one of the all time greats.
Yes hes still young.
He needs to perform for Portugal at this years Euro.
Loves it at Old Trafford, can be quiet away from there in Europe.

Gattuso the ultimate role player.
Hes like a pitbull lol
 ndru1028
Msg: 96
Posted: 2/2/2008 7:32:46 AM
Frank,

I agree with you about C Ronaldo having a way to go to be mentioned with the greats of all time. I was replying to Motions post that Larsson was the greatest player in the modern age.
I agree also about Gattuso..Dude has no fear..LOL
 ndru1028
Msg: 99
Posted: 2/2/2008 10:16:45 AM
Motion..
That is one thing great about forums..we can all have an opinion. I commend Larsson for being a stand up guy & a good family man.
I know over in Europe you hear about our American athletes such as Michael Vick, Barry Bonds, steroids in sports & how some of the American football players are plain thugs. It is not unusual to open the paper & read about a player beating his wife or girlfriend, arrested for drug or gun charges etc.They just don't get it..

Ok..back to our thread on football..lol
 frankster_p
Msg: 103
Posted: 2/6/2008 4:30:03 AM
Champions league starting again soon.
cant wait

Roma will probably get done though.
 Kaibs34
Msg: 104
Posted: 2/8/2008 2:06:42 AM
I never go to into soccer or football as in the euro and aus, but i respect pele, and think hes the greatest ever. i do like zidine though, that headbutt is epic stuff imo. i loved it. aha.
 frankster_p
Msg: 105
Posted: 2/8/2008 3:02:48 AM
Soccer isnt the most popular sport in Aus.
Australian rules football, rugby league and cricket are.

but soccer is growing.
 ndru1028
Msg: 106
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:09:39 AM
Went to the USA-Mexico match here in Houston on Wednesday evening. Nice to see 70 thousand screaming fans at a match on American soil. Would have been unheard of 10 years ago. The more players we have playing on European soil the better our National team is becoming. That said, I realize we have a ways to go.
 frankster_p
Msg: 107
Posted: 2/8/2008 7:50:05 AM
Who is the USA coach now?

Mexico are a good team.
You had a great 2002 wc.

last one welllll, the game against italy was insteresting to say the least.
 Kaibs34
Msg: 108
Posted: 2/8/2008 12:51:56 PM
It isnt big in Aus? Damn I would of thoguth different lol. The 3 months i was there in sydney all I saw on TV was Football and Soccer on espn. haha.Well the cricket finals were on to which was pretty dramatic but thats besides the point.
 ndru1028
Msg: 109
Posted: 2/8/2008 4:24:45 PM
Who is the USA coach now?

Our new coach is Bob Bradley, He was an assistant under Bruce Arena. .His son is actually an attacking midfielder om the team. I agree..Our last WC appearance was less than stellar..LOL 2010 should be a better showing.
 sum1reel
Msg: 111
Posted: 2/10/2008 7:44:47 PM
^^^^
@ ndru

Went to the USA-Mexico match here in Houston on Wednesday evening. Nice to see 70 thousand screaming fans at a match on American soil. Would have been unheard of 10 years ago. The more players we have playing on European soil the better our National team is becoming. That said, I realize we have a ways to go.

..................i heard that the majority of fans in the stands were Mexicans and they were all cheering against the Yanks!..........if so then it doesn't bode too well for true US fan support...does it?.......but then again it was a meaningless game!

Our new coach is Bob Bradley, He was an assistant under Bruce Arena. .His son is actually an attacking midfielder om the team. .

.........from what i hear, bradley's son is truly a good player who is actually being respected by alot of europeans
@ Pedro

talking about national teams, i always have said that USA is a world champion to be, sure! it is a matter of time and logic.

.........yes, if you can wait approximately 40-60 more years!......there are many other countries in the world that have stronger soccer (futball) traditions than the USA that have not even come close to winning the WC!........Spain is one of them!......it is not easy to win a WC title.......talent alone is not enough, it takes discipline, focus, intensity and a system of play that works!!!!

a large country like the US with millions of children and teenagers now playing football, will have plenty of great players in the near future (right now there are very good players).

.......of course there are better caliber of players now than there was 25 years ago, but the process is slow........yes, there is talent but the problem is in development of this talent..........the under-17 teams of the USA are almost as good as the teams from europe and s. america, but after you reach the under-21, it is no longer the case....we do not have high level competition here as you have in europe to develop players on a higher level!

as a football fan, i remember a player called Wynalda, what a great forward he was!

.........wynalda had 'great' potential!........if he would have played in europe as a child or teenager, he would have developed into a much better player.

under my opinion the future of MLS is black as we say in Spain, unless it gets support from TV, goverment, etc

........the MLS is actually expanding to 2 new cities......it is slowly growing, but i don't know if they are making money yet.........the real way to get support from advertisement is to "americanize" the sport(in the USA), at least a little bit!.......you need to have brief interruptions, and you need to have better officiating and instant replay.......but nobody in the MLS listens to logic!
 Nealinho
Msg: 114
Posted: 3/19/2008 10:06:14 AM
It's gotta be Der Kaiser, Franz Beckenbauer
 blimeylimey
Msg: 116
Posted: 3/23/2008 2:17:53 PM
I've seen some talented players over my years of being a fan. Some that stand out because of skill have to include Pele, Maradona, Zico, Socrates, Eder, Platini, Beckenbaur, Roberto Baggio, Del Piero, Maldini, Van Basten, Gullit, Zidane and George Best. But hands down, based on his sublime talent, the best is Eric Cantona. He is the player that turned Manchester United into the club they are today. Okay, Sir Alex helped a little too.
 blimeylimey
Msg: 118
Posted: 3/24/2008 12:20:17 PM
Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was based on skill. Based on just that, Cantona is every bit as good as Zidane. Lest we forget that Zidane was no saint.
 blimeylimey
Msg: 121
Posted: 3/24/2008 2:05:22 PM

I will say Zidane was better with his head.
 blimeylimey
Msg: 124
Posted: 3/25/2008 1:03:17 PM
What colour is the sky in your world? I should lend you my Cantona video.
 London Lass 59
Msg: 125
Posted: 3/25/2008 7:31:49 PM
I used to watch football a lot when I lived in the UK. I actually worked at a hospital just down the street from White Hart Lane and the Spurs.........

I think my fav players had to be Pele over Maradonna for sure, Biaggio, Cantona, Perryman, cruyff, Best and Dalglish..........
 cooky1962
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 3/26/2008 1:26:21 AM
Maradona was definetly the HIGHEST on the list.
 Nealinho
Msg: 127
Posted: 3/28/2008 10:07:24 AM
Der Kaiser, definately my favorite player of all time, props to anyone who can play with a broken limb like he did.
Show ALL Forums  > Sports  >