Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do men copy/paste      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 78
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste Page 14 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
Has anyone else noticed that waywardwynde is an extremely good speller,

In the forums, I use small words. In fact, in real life I also usually use small words. That's so people remember what I say rather than how I say it.

And, you rather strongly suggest that being able to read "a novel in one sitting", or (*snicker*) reading "three novels a year", is synonymous with intelligence. I'd say it's a wash in the "make silly & irrelevant comparisons" category...

You're fictionalizing quotes so you can "disprove" them. I made no such statement. I DID say people who spell well read so miserably slow that they can't read a novel in an evening, something quite ordinary to the normal part of the world.

I ALSO said that anyone who does a coarse sift on all emails from all potential lifetime mates based on spelling leaves SO many potential mates behind it is almost a given they are purposely undermining their efforts to meet a mate so ungraciously as to insure failure.

I ALSO said the below. Thank you for re-quoting it and agreeing with me.

(www) I do have distain for mental flyweights who try to claim near genius status because they read miserably slow and thus spell well.

WaywardWynde
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:21:46 PM
2) I read quite quickly.

"quickly" is defineded as what? A novel in two or three months?

Oh kay.

Anyway, this thread has veered off topic. To address it (i.e. why do men copy/paste): because they can.

Because 97%+ of their heart-felt responses are lost to the ether.

Because 99% of their cut-n-paste response are lost to the ether.

Because 100% of their cut-n-pastes are easier to post than any 5% of of their heart-felt posts.

Actually, the thread was indeed about how to "read" male responses to female profiles, even though it started as a complaint.
 *buzz*
Msg: 80
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:46:26 PM
Men tend to move fast and bless them for their innovative ways. But when they slow down then it is worth to keep eye on their pace
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/19/2010 12:54:47 PM
^^^I am always amazed to see people standing in a downpour who can't notice it's raining. They chant, "You can't know for sure it's raining. Where is your cite? Who says so besides you? It wasn't raining yesterday! How do you know what rain is? My grandmother never got rained on her life. People who went to good school (insert your choice of "good") were taught that only ancient Greeks knew for sure what rain was."

And on and on and on and on and .............

It reminds me of the Frieda character in the "Peanuts" cartoon who KNEW she was unequivically superior to all others because of her "natually curly" hair.

Pay attention particularly when the sky darkens a bit and suddenly, particularly when your clothes start sticking to your arms and the wind picks up.

BTW, I doubt that Frieda, when she grew up, EVER got close enough to a man to feel his hot breath on her, unless she got him drunk first.

I wonder if Frieda talked to herself as she read?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/19/2010 7:41:12 PM
It's actually almost mathematically impossible to not get more responses from mass emailings than a more strategic approach. After all, you're going to be hitting the same women in the mass emailings you would have hit in the strategic approach -- and hundreds more besides them.

This is not to say I think sending 100 pure copy-and-paste messages will necessarily be more effective than sending one extremely well-written message tailored to the perfect person. But I'm 100% sure sending 100 extremely short messages that very briefly mention something in the woman's profile is more effective than sending one extremely well-written messaged tailored to the perfect person, and more than just mathematics, that's because "perfect person" is impossible to know. Expending a great deal of effort on anyone in a first contact email on POF is just wasteful. Which leads me to...

"similar in attractiveness"

This isn't as easy to figure out for some of us as it is for others of you. I mean, I've dated two models and a handful of other women who nearly every guy I knew agreed was extremely attractive, yet I'm currently riding a 4 year dateless streak and I had a couple of pretty long streaks prior to the first model and between the first model and the second one -- streaks in which I couldn't find a woman on the planet that thought I was attractive. Based on my own dating history, I have no idea how attractive I am. I do know, however, what I am attracted TO. Which is a VERY large percentage of women in my age bracket. So I really don't have any choice but to just attempt to contact every single woman on this site (in my geographic area) that I find attractive, which is a monumental task with some 20,000 women on POF in my area, and it simply cannot be accomplished if I spend more than a couple of minutes emailing each of them.

Let me see if I can put this another way: nearly all of the women that I truly think are special, do not think I'm special back. Therefore, it IS a numbers game. It can be nothing BUT a numbers game for somebody like me.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/20/2010 7:57:59 AM
^^^ doc, it was YOU who was saying that if someone doesn't spell to your satisfaction, they can't think well enough for you to consider as mate (BTW, how's that going for you, these days?).

I merely made the (accurate) statement that those who spell well, read phonetically BECAUSE THEY ARE INCAPABLE of reading by sight. They _literally_ MUST sound out each syllable, ie. "talk to themselves". I also made the (accurate) statement that "talking to oneself" is a very slow way to read, typically a max speed of about the same as speech in a TV commercial.

I also made the (accurate) statement that those unfortunates who BRAG about reading slowly (because they must talk to themselves as they read in order for them to understand the printed word) simply don't understand they are bragging about a learning disability they have. AND, to hold that learning disability up as a measaure of their superiority is specious. AND to eliminate all others as potential mates because the others do not have that learning disability is dumb, dumb, dumb because it eliminates most people, including most good ones.

It looks like someone's Sacred Ox got gored. If one can't claim intellectual superiority based on a learning disability, what can one claim?

I dunno. Maybe one can cook ... or paint ... or make pottery ... or multiply six digit numbers in their head ... or know that Charlamange had three sons ... or Coanda invented the exhaust megaphone ... or that Sgt Alvin York was a conscientious objector ... or Rickenbacker was a race car driver before he was a fighter pilot ... or Ellie was FDR's fifth cousin once removed ... or that it's a convenient assumption not a fact that the Earth goes around the Sun ... or the Louis Chevrolet never won Indy though his brother Gaston did ... or that the invention of roller mills as different from grinding mills more than doubled the amount of flour available each year to American consumers ... or that wings on aerobatic airplanes are as curved on the bottom as they are on the top ... of that Kettering Ohio is named for the man who invented the electric starter for automobiles ... or or or or or or or or or or or or or or ........................

Some of my best friends are slow readers.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/20/2010 8:29:43 AM

I dont get the connection between reading slowly and spelling well.

---Phonetic readers read by the "sound" of the syllables. In order to identify individual syllables they must read each individual letter. THAT is why they spell well.

--- Sight readers read by the shapes of the tops of the letters (the important part of English letters), by the first three or four letters (the important part of English words), by the length of the word (important in English), by the placement of the word in a sentence (front of sentence in English more important than the end which is more important than the middle) and the placement of the sentence in the paragraph (same as words in sentences in English)

---Also, in printed English 20% of the words are place-fillers and/or redundant.

----Also, in printed English generally less than 10,000 words form nearly the entire base of printed words. That's not a lot of words to memorize by the shape of the tops of the first three letters and by its length.

THAT means 100% understanding (of printed English) can achieved by decoding only about 5 to 25% (depending on the material) of the ink stains used to print the characters.

Think of it this way. A phonetic reader sees a road sign and reads each individual letter S, T, O, P, then forms those letters into a syllable, then "sounds out" that syllable, then translates that syllable into meaning. A sight reader sees the large red sign and knows it's a STOP Sign and takes action.

Bragging about reading S, T, O, P is specious. Dismissing those understand what a large read sign means as too dumb to be considered a mate is even more so.
 abelian
Msg: 85
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/20/2010 8:47:52 AM
I merely made the (accurate) statement that those who spell well, read phonetically BECAUSE THEY ARE INCAPABLE of reading by sight.

I find that strange. My fiancee and I both spell well. I don't know how fast I read (which seems to be highly dependent on what I'm reading), but my fiancee reads at least 2000 words/minute (tested). I understand the point, but I don't think being a good speller means one is incapable of reading several sentences in one bite.

Sight readers read at 600 to 1,000 words per minute with a 100% comprenhension level.

I would not call that fast reading.
 kari135
Msg: 86
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 12/20/2010 9:21:24 AM
WaywardWynde:

In the forums, I use small words. In fact, in real life I also usually use small words. That's so people remember what I say rather than how I say it.

Sorry to have to tell you this, but people rarely remember pompous bombast.

You're fictionalizing quotes so you can "disprove" them. I made no such statement. I DID say people who spell well read so miserably slow that they can't read a novel in an evening, something quite ordinary to the normal part of the world.

I spell very well - I've been a proofreader and copy editor. I also used to read 3 to 5 novels per night, along with having 2 jobs, taking care of house, family, and however many critters were in the menagerie at any given time. Now that I can get books online, I still go through at least one a night, since I can enlarge the font enough to read. I'm a natural speed reader and have been since before I started school.

I ALSO said that anyone who does a coarse sift on all emails from all potential lifetime mates based on spelling leaves SO many potential mates behind it is almost a given they are purposely undermining their efforts to meet a mate so ungraciously as to insure failure.

It's not so much the lack of spelling ability as the demonstration that whoever is sending all those misspellings just doesn't care enough to use a spell checker. A few typos are one thing, a consistent inability to distinguish between 'quite' and 'quiet' or 'there' 'their' and 'they're' are in another class entirely.

I ALSO said the below. Thank you for re-quoting it and agreeing with me.

(www) I do have distain for mental flyweights who try to claim near genius status because they read miserably slow and thus spell well.

I've thought about this statement quite a bit, since discovering this thread. I, personally, have never known anyone who claimed to be near genius based on any criteria whatsoever. Obviously, we know very different types of people...

But I do have to admit that a bag of wind would be much more useful in the world of sailing than in the world I inhabit.
 ladyc4
Msg: 87
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 1/15/2011 3:16:28 PM
I can probably count on the fingers of one finger(lol) the number of "copy/paste" messages I've ever gotten here or any other dating site. Is this a bad sign? Should I feel cheated? Is there a complaint form I need to fill out, or certain authorities I need to contact?
I can overlook a speeling er grammer miztake or too if the sendor of the mesage seams sincear and genuwhine. I no my profile is spelt good and i wuld rather get 1 mesage from sum one who sed, " Luv yer cents of humer".

Now back to the matter of the copy/paste emails that I seem to be missing out on...to whom do I complain??
Cindy O
 MrB1083
Msg: 88
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/18/2014 2:05:17 PM
My first messages are always copy and paste,,,,and for one simple reason. Chances are I'll never get a reply anyway so when you don't even know if the other person is interested why bother putting a ton of effort in? After I get a reply any messages after that will certainly be unique but first you have to prove to me I'm not wasting my time
 cotter
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/18/2014 2:20:13 PM
I've had men copy and paste the "about me" part of their profile and send it to me.

Also, I have a limit on my email ... it has to be much more than a couple of sentences or it kicks it back to people ... at least on the initial contact.

Some guys copy and paste a one-liner multiple times in order to bypass that limit. "Hey babe" ... what's up?" ... 10 times. That's an automatic delete for me.

If you can't come up with more than on sentence to write ... then just don't write to me.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 90
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/18/2014 8:34:15 PM
My first messages are always copy and paste,,,,and for one simple reason. Chances are I'll never get a reply anyway so when you don't even know if the other person is interested why bother putting a ton of effort in? After I get a reply any messages after that will certainly be unique but first you have to prove to me I'm not wasting my time

You're defeating yourself. Women are fed up with the mass mailing. We know we're just one of 100 of the exact emails that were sent out this week. It's part of the vicious circle. Women receive many same emails and are tired of responding even with polite rejection. Men send even more emails. Women delete. Men email. Women delete...

Also women get ignored when we initiate contact. Even the pretty ones.

Be original. Better to go down fighting.
 MrB1083
Msg: 91
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/18/2014 9:39:01 PM
If women are tired of the mass emails then they need to make much more of an effort to reply, even if it's just to say no thanks,,,,its the polite thing to do. Why should I waste time crafting 100 creative messages when I'm lucky to get a reply on maybe 2 or 3 of them? My time is valuable too
 cotter
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/19/2014 5:45:31 AM

... they need to make much more of an effort to reply, even if it's just to say no thanks
I understand where you're coming from but you have to remember that there are men who won't take "no thanks" for an answer.

I've had them actually write back and then ask "Why? What do the other guys have that I don't?" or make ugly remarks like "Oh you think you're too good for me?" After you get a few of those, you just delete and let it go.
 gtomustang
Msg: 93
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/19/2014 8:21:55 AM
I believe its Dave M nd David Wygert who are selling the "cut and paste" programs. but there's probably others getting in on the get-rich-quick. After all, how soon before the CnP is known, and you have to create new ones?

If you can crank out a bunch in ten minutes (they claim), and you get one response...then your ten minutes paid off. Some bimbo is gonna think your photo looks good enough, and respond (usually, what you're sending is a challenging email). I'll admit, I've tried it to see if people were actually guilible enough, and on an individual level, it failed. maybe if I spammed it, it would get me one or two, but I think the other secret sauce is to try it in a densely populated area, like NYC, to increase the odds.

on an offtopic, the creator of the pop up ad is apologizing in the Atlantic Monthly. He says the Internet has fallen into the mindset of spamming, rather than letting individuals choose want feeds to subscribe to. some people do indeed just "shotgun" what they are selling, instead of letting customers come to them. i'm not sure the internet sponsored the idea, so much as allowed people to do what they were interested in doing in the first place.
 Strings6
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/20/2014 5:33:28 AM
In a tech based world tech based pet peeves are bound to happen,i remember reading for the first time that typing in caps was considered shouting and actually banned on some sites,the next time I saw a post in caps I turned up the speakers on my computer and didn't hear a thing,turned off everything in the house and still didn't hear any "shouting".........people are silly.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 95
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 8/30/2014 1:14:04 PM

If women are tired of the mass emails then they need to make much more of an effort to reply, even if it's just to say no thanks,,,,its the polite thing to do.

Too often when women and men who have answered have been attacked for polite rejection and have learned to no longer respond. Some even block people that write to avoid a vicious follow-up.

Why should I waste time crafting 100 creative messages when I'm lucky to get a reply on maybe 2 or 3 of them? My time is valuable too.

No one said your time wasn't valuable. I suggest that instead of sending out 100 messages to women just hoping to get lucky only write those you have things in common with. If the 100 emails sent in the hopes of getting lucky weren't multiplied by the other men doing the same then inboxes wouldn't be so full and women might have a reason to more carefully check out the profile.
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 9/3/2014 1:52:29 PM
(op)

How would you even know if a man is copy pasting, other than a couple of experiences? I found out after the fact that supposedly I am a copy paster, though I'm not...simply because I sometimes send generic greetings initially, when a woman is incapable of doing anything with her profile or of making conversation otherwise.
 cotter
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 9/3/2014 6:29:14 PM

How would you even know if a man is copy pasting, other than a couple of experiences?
Easy ... I get the same copied and pasted message from a guy in here about every two months ... and it's been going on for years. YES ... YEARS!

He apparently copies and pastes the same message to all the women in our area ... on a regular bases. It appears it takes him about 2 months to get through all the names ... because I'm due for another message next week.

Seriously ... how needy can you get? You will catch my eye if it appears that you have taken the time to read my profile and respond to something in it ... and not just my legs (used to have my legs in my main picture).

I feel like I need to put a statement on my profile ... "No, I am not a L'eggs model."

Sigh.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 98
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 9/3/2014 9:29:10 PM
Posted by Cotter:
"...I get the same copied and pasted message from a guy in here about every two months...
and it's been going on for years. YES...YEARS!..."

One suggestion is to simply BLOCK that person if his messages prove intrusive and unwanted.
You could obviously keep blocking him far faster than he could create new POF dating profiles.
 MrB1083
Msg: 99
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 11/23/2014 1:30:21 PM

Too often when women and men who have answered have been attacked for polite rejection and have learned to no longer respond. Some even block people that write to avoid a vicious follow-up.

Well, I'm sorry that some people will get nasty over it, but that still doesn't give you the right to ignore someone who's legitimately trying to be nice. It's rude and disrespectful
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 100
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 11/23/2014 1:59:45 PM

Well, I'm sorry that some people will get nasty over it, but that still doesn't give you the right to ignore someone who's legitimately trying to be nice. It's rude and disrespectful

FFS..... You think You have the Right to demand a reply from anyone. If your message isn't wanted, you're no different than some Telemarketer cold calling them. You can't demand Respect, it's something earned.
 MrB1083
Msg: 101
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 11/23/2014 2:11:18 PM

FFS..... You think You have the Right to demand a reply from anyone. If your message isn't wanted, you're no different than some Telemarketer cold calling them. You can't demand Respect, it's something earned.

FFS,,,,respect is a two way street. If you choose to ignore someone's message then don't you dare complain when you get a mean and nasty response. If you're so worried about getting a less than flattering reply then maybe you should think twice about signing up for a dating website.

Sending a personal attack response to a rejection is disrespectful,,,,,,so is giving someone the silent treatment. If you're going to ignore someone, be prepared to take what comes with it
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 102
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 11/23/2014 2:30:36 PM
ALL of us have sent messages and received no response...I don't lose any sleep over it. Some of us have received snotty responses to our "Thank you for you email but I don't think we are a match" emails as well. I block those, and I don't lose any sleep over it. I block the "wanna fvck" emails with a block too, and I don't lose any sleep over it. The same goes for the "you into younger guys?" emails...actually I usually respond to those because it's fun playing with their heads.

In a perfect world it's all sunshine and roses...but we're not in a perfect world. You are over thinking and are over sensitive if you think everyone is going to be as respectful and nice as you. You need to lighten up and move on and don't take it so personal. FFS, if you can't handle rude or rejection you should think twice about being on a dating website. And a piece of advice, ALL dating websites are the same...free, cheap, middle of the road and expensive as many of us have tried more than one site.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do men copy/paste