Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do men copy/paste      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kindapicky
Msg: 26
Why do men copy/paste Page 2 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)
I don't think I have ever done this. But I usually say more in my actions than words. As far as introductory emails, it's like being in the grocery story, see a nice looking lady say hi trying to start a conversation and she blows you off.
So why waist "my" time with a stuck up that will not read my profile. It works both ways. Lot of singles are a dime a dozen, the true ladies and gentlemen are a rare find.
 The Diplomat
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:01:21 AM
Trust me Sahaja....the ratio is something like 8 to 1 for guys to girls. I'm lucky to get 10% responses, and that's if I REALLY try.

It's a fact I read in newspapers a year ago.
 weirdscienceofluv
Msg: 28
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:29:00 AM
Next question, why do people type in all caps? I think this one has been covered...
 weirdscienceofluv
Msg: 29
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/6/2007 9:46:23 AM
Yeah life is so fast we dont have time to spell check, or even look back at what we have posted, its a sad world nowadays....
 Morathie
Msg: 30
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/6/2007 3:16:08 PM
Well I can not say for every one but my self. For me reason i Copy and past is the fact that after 8 months of making it unique i found that, 1/3 dont even read it they just go right to your profile and delete, another 1/3 just leave it sit there Unread, the other 1/3 read it but..... only about 1/3 of them acualy reply, the others either leve it sit there till the server deletes it or they delete it. so it comes to about 1/10 women will read it and reply to them.

I change mine up about every 10 posts, or if I realy liked there profile.

I had one women unread and delete my message, but sent me a different message saying that se don't date guys who tuck in there shirt. I have only one pic lol. Alot of women i find on here seem to look for minor things they dont like, and skip every thing els.
 designingwoman
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/6/2007 4:28:32 PM
^^^Hi Chitown, I wish more guys were like you, willing to take the time to write a personal note. I don't blame you for complaining about someone who writes very little in the profile. When I do a search and I view a profile with very little on it, I end up skipping past it.

Guys who copy/paste are wasting their time. Women don't want to receive that kind of junk in their email.

Cheers
 designingwoman
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/7/2007 2:09:27 PM
That's ridiculous. Writing a message that shows the guy read my profile rather than sending a dumb copy/paste is NOT stalking!! Copy/paste is lame and a turnoff. I actually write back to tell the twerp that he was too lazy to write a real note to me that I could tell it was a copy/paste and that I am turned off by such bogus correspondence. I want the real McCoy, not some stupid note that only demonstrates how lazy the guy is. Laziness is a turnoff!!!

It is NOT feasible to write a copy paste that fits all profiles. That is an insult to the intelligence of the women on this site. I can tell if a letter is copy paste or a genuine original.
 WhereForArtThou
Msg: 33
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/9/2007 10:57:23 AM
Yes. Men do cut and paste. Women might, too, but since I only have experiences with MEN, that's all I can speak for. I had a man message me on here, and, he messaged a friend of mine. Same exact message. Total cut and paste. I thought it was kind of amusing... :)
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 34
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:24:58 PM
I said it before and i'll say it again. Cut and pastes are often obvious, and don't go over well with women. If you don't mind getting them all deleted and basically finding almost no-one, keep right on cutting and pasting.

Men who don't want to read profiles and/or send out personal e-mails to women they have specific interest in aren't desirable men by most women. If you feel that all women are the same, and it doesn't make any difference to put an effort in, you're exactly the ones we want to avoid. Makes it easier to spot you all and move on.
 R_U_Perfect
Msg: 35
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/9/2007 1:44:15 PM
FACT, you want to drive yourself into depression FAST???

Write a bunch of letters,if you want action,take part in The FORUMS...

You can inverst allot of time and emotion writing Letters and recieve NOTHING for your effort...

On the other hand you can post in a forum and thousands of people will read it, if a Gal is looking for a guy like you?
Then she will write to you...

NOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING GOING!!!

The other way around is like shooting bats on a No Moon night,you may never know if you hit anything or not...

Then again,I've been playing this game for decades...
 Rythmn
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/9/2007 3:46:20 PM
in the past i have not responded to the "very few" cut and paste letters i received because i figured they were just responding to a picture and not to what i had to say. most of my friends are from the forums, so usually the connection has already been put into place. but i admit, since i have a lot to say and know full well that a number will drift away upon reading, i suppose i did not want the rejection of responding to someone who might later take the time to read up on me and then discontinue the correspondence! i did not think that many men got rejected or ignored this much on pof. most of my e-buddies get mail, just have not met the right person or have been discriminated against due to financial position. but then again, they are not the cut and paste guys and relatively selective.

op, i wonder if it's because you just click on a lot of pictures and are not looking for the substance of a person or really evaluating if you indeed share perspectives or values--as evidenced by reading the profiles? i guess it depends on your reasons for being here. well, at any rate, in the future i won't ignore "all" cut and paste letters if it's the rejection that is feared as you describe. that is, "providing" the profile interests me or if you seem like a likely neighborhood "buddy". being relatively new to my area, i am looking for platonic friends as well.

it's kind of like going to a dance when we were younger. the girls felt sad that the one they had a crush on, never called and the boys felt rejected when they walked across that floor to ask their choice to dance and she said no. ah, the agony of the memories of the teenage years. do we have to repeat them all over again?
 designingwoman
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/10/2007 2:42:54 PM
copy/paste=SPAM. "nuff said

Why bother? Gimme a break!!! I will tell a guy off for writing a copy/paste because it reflects VERY poorly on him. It tells me that he's lazy, and will not bother taking the time to look over the profile and write a relevant short note. It tells me that he is lacking in creativity, and as an artist I find that a huge turnoff. It also shows me that the guy isn't terribly intelligent and cannot think through writing a short note that shows genuine interest. Sometimes it's quite evident that he did not read my profile--too far away, smoker, Republican, obese (all dealbreakers for me). Spammers mass email, and so do copy/pasters. They are one and the same.

I find it very unattractive if a guy does this, and will reply to such a message by telling him that the copy/paste has given me a very negative impression of him. It's better to write a nice note that shows personal interest, and make a good impression in the first place. Guys, first impressions may be the ONLY chance for you to impress a woman. Copy/paste is a very poor first impression!!

CAN the SPAM!!!
 designingwoman
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:39:19 PM
That's why copy/pasters' attitudes are insulting to women. We don't feel "grateful" for your "crumbs". Basically copy/pasting is like giving someone crumbs instead of a nice loaf of bread. I'm getting hungry!!
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 39
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/10/2007 6:48:55 PM

Here's a challenge for the ladies. Why don't YOU try messaging men instead of sitting lazily on your computer chair waiting for the thousands of men out there to impress you.

Try it. Then let me know how many will reply.

In my case, 2 or 3 for every 10. About average...that's online. Offline the initial response is more like 50/50.

Thought you might want a statistic.
 Rythmn
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 12:53:57 AM
maybe because i don't care if i get an online date, although it would be nice and it's worked for me in the past, i am not afraid to contact people on shared forum issues or who live nearby, etc. i view pof as a means to network, as i do real life. if more than that happens, that's great.

i do know that unless i really communicate with someone, no matter which way (online or in person), they have no clue who i am and how i think. even though i think i express myself clearly, not to mention voluminously --many people come on here with a narrow minded vision of what they expect --so they get a narrow minded response or perhaps none at all.

now i aspeak as an older person. so , if a younger person is indeed getting 100 emails a day, then i would not expect him/her to be able to respond all the time. i get anywheres from 1-10 max a day, mostly from my regular and ongoing friends, most of whom who can also call or write to my private email. normally there is some substance to our contacts. sometimes new people contact me or vice versa--but the person needs to also show some substance. i might be able to deal with cut and paste if that were the case. however, the few i have gotten are very sleezy and from people who don't sound so bright! if it were not like that, i would respond to cut and pastes and also wish them luck on their marketing approach (humorously). if they did not seem interested in who i am, then i would assume they are just "upping" their favorite lists and i will ignore or delete. i only favorite those who have something to say that is interesting or who live nearby.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 41
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 6:42:53 AM

But, seriously: a lot, virtually all, of the females who are responding to this topic (of cut-n-paste intros) are saying that they don't like 'em. Guys are coming up with reasons for why they do 'em, and some of them are pretty good, but the point remains: if you're trying to get a woman's attention, it might be a good idea to listen to what women are saying. If a lot of women are saying the same thing (in this case, cut-n-paste is a bad idea), it might be a good idea for men to listen, then reconsider.

You only have control over your message as you say/type it. You have NO control over how it's received. It really doesn't matter what you MEAN by your introductory email, whether it's a cut-n-paste or an individually crafted intro; how it comes across to the recipient is what makes it a "go" or a "bust".

Exactly. You can cut and paste all you want - and defend it, but don't expect to talk to many women by doing it. MOST women here are saying it doesn't work for us. If you feel that the audience you're e-mailing to is wrong, then hey I guess it must be working real well for ya. Knock yourselves out. For a lot of women, it's just that easier to weed you out from the rest...
 designingwoman
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 9:15:19 AM
Some of us will use a few choice words when a knucklehead copy/pastes. I tell them outright that they are wasting their time and I also tell them they just insulted my intelligence. I then call them a few choice words. It is moronic to copy/paste, and such a doofus should be told off in no uncertain terms. If you have to copy paste at all make it really short like "Hello how are you?" and not the long BS stuff that I've seen. That stuff can be smelled a mile away and is an immediate turnoff.
 designingwoman
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 6:20:41 PM
The only games I want to play are board games or the ones I'll play when I get my new computer in December!!!!!

Maybe I should take a Word document that's 100 pages long and send it to a guy who copy/pastes a long note that's sooooo obvious
 A-New-Beginning
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 6:47:17 PM
Why umm cause it works! We don't really have to read every little word on your profiles too. Believe it or not its hard coming up with something original to say to multiple different women with the hopes that a few may actually reply. Sometimes you come up with something thats kinda nice and go with it, so that it doesn't sound canned. Its kinda like a writer when you puts some good words down on the page that work, copy and send it to print to see who responds. javascript:smilie('')
 designingwoman
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 7:07:39 PM
Keep it VERY SHORT if you have to do it as an icebreaker, such as "how are you."

Otherwise it's a waste of time and really dumb. Yes, I WILL paste and copy old term papers and something that's over 100 pages long for such a doofus' reading pleasure if I receive a long and very obvious copy/paste
 A-New-Beginning
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/11/2007 7:09:22 PM
AN OPEN CHALLENGE TO THE WOMEN

Here is my challenge to the women on here that are so against the cut and paste thing, although I understand why you don't like it I would like you to try a true roll reversal to understand the need of it from a guys point of view. First get a digital camera and take a pic of a male friend of your and use it to set up a fake account, take time to read several of the other female accounts thoroughly then send them a message (just one and see how many respond) Try to do this at least 25 times and get back with us with the true results (don't doctor them up just the brutal honest truth it will speak for itself.) I really want to know WHO WILL TAKE THE CHALLENGE. (just need about 5 honest women)
 jasmina
Msg: 47
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/13/2007 7:12:41 AM

I get the impression that a lot of guys that use cut-n-paste, once they hear how women don't like it, will then argue with women why they SHOULD like it. Like I said, they bring forth some good arguments (some not so good, too, but whatever...) But, the whole point of the exercise is to win a woman's HEART, not an argument.

I had the same thing happen to me recently. The man sent me a previous e-mail with a message about checking his profile to see if I wanted to talk to him. It was more a generic kind of e-mail and maybe not the usual copy and paste, which tend to be longer. I didn't reply because there was nothing to reply to. Recently I received the same e-mail again from him. This time I chose to reply and give him some advice on what works to get my attention. What I got back was a defensive e-mail telling me why I should be ok with any kind of communication he chose to send and that it works for him. I again tried to explain in a different way, always tactful, that this does not work for me and that, but all I got back was an e-mail with an angry tone to it. If I am trying to communicate with someone about what works for me, I would expect him to at least listen and think about it. I was trying to let him know something about me and the communication style that works for me, but he chose not to listen. Next...
 jasmina
Msg: 48
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/13/2007 7:17:35 AM

I agree. Women want to know that the man they're interested in has a mind, and vice-versa. But, there's a difference (huge, IMNHO), between "intellectual cross-stimulation", and "intellectual bullying and haranguing". TELLING someone how they should think, is not providing them with ANYTHING positive.

I am a woman who wants to know if a man has a mind, and I want him to want to know if I have one too. If I can't connect with someone on an intellectual level in addition to other levels, there will be something missing in the relationship. If a man tries to tell me how I should think or feel, that is a big turn off, especially when it is in response to me trying to let him inside my heart and mind and allow him to see what I am like.
 lucidity6
Msg: 49
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/13/2007 7:52:39 AM
so ... how is it working for these bulk emailers thus far ???
when a scripted email comes my way ... i delete it.
the fact of the matter is ... that it's bluntly obvious ... + it feels rather superficial.
i suggest ... to stay away from that form of communication + stick to short emails.
be personably ... don't forget to be yourself ;)
 designingwoman
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Why do men copy/paste
Posted: 10/13/2007 6:04:49 PM
OK, so maybe I'll bump it up to that Star Trek fanfic story that I wrote for the fun of it a couple of years ago that's about 800 pages long if it's a really bad copy/paste.

Be good boys and either send a short Hi How are you, or be original!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do men copy/paste