Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing      Home login  
Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing -->
 AUTHOR
 xander
Msg: 53
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing, etcPage 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
Budman_ct,

The thread has been running for three months, and the last few days have been the longest it's been quiet. Hardly "inactive".

ZoneAlarm+Spysweeper: If you'd read the first page, you'd see how strongly recommended it is to run a firewall AND spyware software. It's considered standard protection. (Best combo is hardware firewall+software firewall+antivirus+antispyware+antispam, all kept up to date)

If you're having luck with Spysweeper, that's great. It does get some very good reviews. However, I'd recommend against putting all your eggs in one basket. That's why it's very highly recommended to run more than one spyware scanner on your system. What one misses, the other will get. Just because one reports more than others doesn't necessarily mean it's better, just more willing to risk false positives.

There are some great commercial products out there, no doubt, but using the free ones in combination will serve you just as well.

OPTIONS FOR THE EVERYDAY USER: Router (hardware firewall)
ZoneAlarm (there are others, but this one's fine)
SpywareBlaster with MS AntiSpyware (XP/2K) or Spybot's TeaTimer or SpywareGuard
Avast or AVG (both free and work very well)
Thunderbird (built-in junk mail filtering)
For added security:
Firefox browser (or Netscape or Opera or ... just about anything other than IE)
Additional spyware scanners (SpyBot+AdAware+your_preference)
Online spyware scanner (I like xcleaner, linked on page1)

It's all on the first page, but seems to get repeated by every other guy here who thinks he can throw in additional "expert" opinion.

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm
Just found a good looking comparison of the better known anti-spyware programs, on a trustworthy site.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 54
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing, etc
Posted: 7/11/2005 6:48:07 AM

Spyware: The threat of unwanted software programs is changing the way people
use the internet

http://www.pewinternet.org/PPF/r/160/report_display.asp

7/6/2005 | MemoReport | Susannah Fox

Spyware and the threat of unwanted programs being secretly loaded onto
computers are becoming serious threats online. Nine out of ten internet
users say they have adjusted their online behavior out of fear of falling
victim to software intrusions. Unfortunately, many internet users' fears
are grounded in experience - 43% of internet users, or about 59 million
American adults, say they have had spyware or adware on their home
computer. Although most do not know the source of their woes, 68% of home
internet users, or about 93 million American adults, have experienced at
least one computer problem in the past year that are consistent with
problems caused by spyware or viruses.

View PDF of Report
http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Spyware_Report_July_05.pdf

View PDF of Questionnaire
http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Spyware_MayJune05_Qs.pdf

Dei Gratia
Msg: 55
Posted: 7/11/2005 6:50:58 AM
frustrated icon not functioning.......
 knight43
Msg: 56
Posted: 7/14/2005 10:37:08 PM
Antivir is free for personal use, google on antivir.

Hijack this is free also, google on Hijackthis, will scan for browser redirects.

Lavasoft adaware is free, google on adaware.

Spybot is good for spyware, adware and is free, google on same name.

Spyware blaster is free trial, google on spyware blaster.

I recommne using Firefox latest version and Thunderbird email both free, both cut down on spyware, malware, and is a better browser than IE6.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 57
Posted: 7/18/2005 8:15:59 PM
For those running MSAS, you *should* receive the software
upgrade via the updating engine.

For those of you thinking about trying MSAS for the first time,
be warned - it's a ~Beta!
First time users, download here:
*Please read /all / the FAQ's and documentation *before* you
proceed.

Regards....
 jerseyjohn
Msg: 58
Posted: 7/18/2005 8:37:32 PM
just so you know tickettoride, you really shouldnt have 2 different antivirus' on your system. it will actually cause more problems then help. Norton anti virus is crap, i agree, but when you have it running with another anti virus you are only going to have alot of problems.

i use Anti-vir (free-av.com) its low on system resources, and i havent had a problem yet.

i also use spybot, ad aware se, and microsofts beta. a REALLY good program is PC CILLIN. i would suggest using it, but it does cost money. also Webroots Spysweeper is good, but you have to pay for that also.

John
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 59
Posted: 7/19/2005 8:24:48 AM
Good comment John and it is true if you have both being a full time protection.

But those that are skilled know that one AV does not cover all the Viri of the world, best to have one from each side of the world.

The free porgram you mentioned just got a fairly low rating at castlecops mainpage.

although it is usually good, It was suggested to run min two AV's and the trick is you need to know which two. I would never rely one one AV especially free.

You may want to double check what else is avail.
 writer
Msg: 60
Posted: 7/21/2005 6:54:19 PM

To date, Norton has caused far more damage & downtime than any virus possibly could

hmmmmm.....

Installed Norton awhile back. No downtime, but computer is just acting wierd...had a feeling it was the Norton, but everyone always insists Norton is so fantastic...

Thanks.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 61
Posted: 7/21/2005 11:42:02 PM
just so you know tickettoride, you really shouldnt have 2 different antivirus' on your system. it will actually cause more problems then help. Norton anti virus is crap, i agree, but when you have it running with another anti virus you are only going to have alot of problems.

I have no clue where you got this from, I checked my posts back and I am pulling a blank here what you are talking about. I don't have 2 A/V progs on my Machine.

I think you are confusing (2) Two 'Anti-virus Programs' running at the same Time vs. an 'Anti-Virus Program' with a manually activated 'Anti-Trojan Scanner'.
(Trojan Defence Suite/TDS-3)

Leading anti-virus systems are good at detecting viruses, but relatively poor at trojan detection. TDS detects several thousand trojans that can be confirmed, but are still not detected by any anti-virus programs. One reason for this is that anti-virus researchers have a lot more to deal with (such as over 50,000 viruses!) so they must limit how much time they spend on anti-trojan research. This is not the case with TDS, where these companies do nothing but trojan research and development.

TDS essentially detects anything malicious that isn't a virus. This includes RAT Servers, RAT EditServers, RAT Clients, RAT Plugins, RAT DDoS Servers, FTP RATs, Droppers, Binded trojans, Packed Servers, Keyloggers, Spyware, Mail Trojans, Password Stealers, Internet Worms, mIRC Worms, Malicious DLLs, Monitors, Spyware, and many others.

There are no Conflicts, there are no Problems.

Have a boo here: http://tds.diamondcs.com.au/

No downtime, but computer is just acting wierd...had a feeling it was the Norton, but everyone always insists Norton is so fantastic...

First and foremost, 'Norton A/V is a 'Resource Hog' extraordinaire, thereby potentially setting into motion endless other Conflicts that are in many cases next to impossible to track back.

Its one thing for a Newbie to gauk at his Screen and mull over for 90 seconds what he just clicked, an entirely different Story for a 'Multi-tasking Power-User'. Hence some problems with Norton are minimally User-Affected, esp. on Win9x Systems. Better than 50% of the time when my Machine wouldn't start up, various Norton 'Tray-Resident' Boot Utilities were found to be the source of the lock up.

Then what? Disable these Start-ups from 'Safe Mode' or 'Selective Start-up'. And even after everything has been disabled, there is still Norton Crap in the Boot Sequence.

Un-install? Ha! Usually comes up with bogus error messages blaming the Hard Drive, Problems with Windows, etc. ad nauseum, esp. if you have already done 1 or more Virus defintion Updates.

Usually I would end up 'slipping the Knot' around Norton's Neck through DOS and Regedits.

Try re-install and uninstall to cleanly remove from your System? Good Luck ... lol

I would rather manually remove a virus from my computer than to jerk around with Norton A/V Software.

... and I am not even commenting on the effectiveness on their Software. We are not even at that point. Lets first see the Computer boot up.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/22/2005 12:36:10 PM
Tornado I think you'll like this site.....

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

He asks for donations folks so please assist a bit.

13 Av scanners run the file you download to his server
they all scan it and report what is found.

Awesome huh?

Not to be 100% effective but still it is a bit safer than what you
scan with now.

:')
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:39:45 PM
Virus is a Latin word used by doctors to mean,
"Your guess is as good as mine"

"Anti-virus companies have always been seen as ambulance chasers, and sometimes, it's true"
Dan Schrader TM

Outgoing mail may be certified as Virus Free. It's checked with several AV products, however the final responsibility lies with you the recipient.

Regardless which one you use they all chase what has been created, some quick some not, others auto update "free ones" usually do not.

When you know of IE has 86 some security holes that the vendor has not fixed then why use it. I strongly urge everyone who uses IE to get an alternate browser till IE 7 comes out.

It is only IE that allows one to get WINDOWS UPDATES

Dei Gratia
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:42:41 PM
Stick fingers could be the other problem...;^O
 Lazyboyz
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/15/2005 8:51:31 PM
I don't like Firefox....after 10 years of IE I'm kinda hooked on it. I know everything on it pretty much and using Firefox won't make me sleep better at night because it's inevitable that it'll soon be targeted as well. Yes, I tried it....it's just weird.
 mortalez
Msg: 66
Posted: 8/15/2005 9:01:54 PM
The best way to avoid viruses and spyware is to not use windows .
popup's and homepage changing can be fixed by useing firefox .

I switched to linux and have had no security problems since . in fact I can play with the virouses I get in E-Mail the same ones that wreck windows systems . I see them and say nice try and go about my biz .
99.9 percent of people who write viruses target commercial software so I doubt firefox will be a target because its opensource and hackers seem to have respect for opensource .
the hacker lifestyle is kindof a culture and commercial software is viewed as the great satan in their eyes .
 Lazyboyz
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/15/2005 10:52:54 PM
I get these emails from Korea offering prescription drugs and vitamins at low prices....but the email has grammar & spelling error's. It has a link to click to go to their site. I've never clicked it but my curiosity say's do it....what could happen? I have a firewall up and real time virus protection from my service provider. Is it a virus? I got 2 of these sent in the past week, and only subsribe to well known sights like CNN CBC Telus Canada.com and my banks...and of course POF. Where did these people find my email? and what would happen if i open? Virus?
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/16/2005 7:55:38 AM
I suggest do not by any means, especially with IE.

kill your cookies and java script through your browser settings that should stop any more comming in. Also check what Active X is in your browser see if they are valid domains.

Do not do any banking on line regardless, is the best advice.

some toughts to ponder apon if they found your email addi they probably can find alot more.

have you done a pandasoftware scan latley? It might help you. see link posted from Just me and free.

> Just Me and Free
>
> Joined: 11/27/2004
> Msg: 94
>
> IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing
> Posted: 5/30/2005 902 PM
> Here try these three sites to scan your Puter prior to installing a good program......
>
> You can get a free web based virus scan at these locations. These won't stop you getting infected, you need an anti-virus monitor for that. They are
> useful to double check you regular virus scanner on those occasions where you wonder if you are infected:
>
> http://housecall.antivirus.com/pc_housecall/
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
>
> http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm
>
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?I213211E4
>
> *Note* Some scans do not remove the Virus but it will inform you that
> you have it then go back to the first link where you can find the
> removal tool and get rid of that nasty.
> Thanks for looking into it.
 K00L
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/30/2005 1:43:41 AM
hey all
am basically a network engineer. what i will suggest is

1) Antivirus
- I suggest Norton Antivirus AUD 55 only !
- Or you can use AVG, cos thats available for free
Make sure you update the virus definitions regularly

2) Antispyware
Microsoft Malware Remover
- http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx#run
- http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=40587
Microsoft Antispyware
- http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

3) Firewall - can be hardware (device) or software (program) which functions in a networked environment to prevent some communications forbidden by the security policy which we define.
I suggest Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Security
but Sygate is available for free.
http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf_standard.htm

4) System cleanup software
- to clear junk, invalid registry and shortcut info.
- clear temp files, unused and 0 byte files
say example System Mechanic software from www.iolo.com

any clarifications, quote my name and post here or write in . thanks !
cheers
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 70
Posted: 8/30/2005 8:11:31 PM
I suggest you take a look at eric howes antispyware analiysis and see how well MS compared i think you'll be in for a surprise...If one uses and Im system I suggest Adawre and for virtually everything else is Spybot 1.4 then if you really want good protection Javacools Spyware blaster are the three that work easily on a system.

Now as for hardware and for software firewalls.

Hardware firewalls just block what attempts to comein without you telling it to. the unfortunate part is you can tails on downloaded programs that can be installed on your comptuter that you will have no idea it is broadcasting all over the internet. Ah now here is where a software firewall comes in for it will only let things out that you let out.

A real good cleaner I found is called ccleaner. but spybot does a good bit of track cleaning also.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 71
Posted: 8/30/2005 11:04:44 PM
Antispyware feature chart....You decide...

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-features.htm

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains NO Spyware or Adware! :)
http://www.ccleaner.com/

Enjoy!!
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 72
Posted: 9/7/2005 2:41:47 PM
Ah Ibm is a mere call away, but check for more items than just what they tell you.

http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity/#thinking

before and after you install a new platform on any computer. Be sure to read all of it.

Dei Gratia
Msg: 73
Posted: 9/7/2005 5:11:57 PM
Gee your quick here is another based on your platform.

http://www.2kevin.net/tuneup.html

Your welcome.

Dei Gratia
Msg: 74
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing
Posted: 10/18/2005 9:03:42 AM
And one can see lately the ppl are desperately trying so much harder in these messenger programs. There has been a huge increase in the Aim and messenger will also.

Just thought those that use these programs be extra carefull especially now.

there is a program from zonelabs called IMSecure that might assist you.

Dei Gratia
Msg: 75
Posted: 10/24/2005 10:05:23 PM
http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-guide.htm

Excellent suggestion!
But do look at the above page.
 Cautiously Fishing
Msg: 76
view profile
History
Posted: 10/29/2005 10:53:31 AM
You can add a #4 to your download area:

.4 Download and use an alternative browser such as www.opera.com
user friendly, ability to block pop-ups, uses alot less resources than IE, tons more secure.
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 77
Posted: 11/2/2005 5:57:35 PM
Browser security report:
Opera 0 | Netscape 0 | Safari 2 | Mozilla 3 | Firefox 3 |Internet Explorer 20
E-mail program security report:
PocoMail -no security report?- | Outlook 1 | Thunderbird 1 | Outlook Express 6
Operating System security report:
Apple Mac OS X 1 | Windows XP Home 23 | Windows XP Pro 26

0 - 86 = the number of known patches needed for each.
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing