Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing      Home login  
Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing -->
 AUTHOR
 crooked_clown
Msg: 101
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing, etcPage 5 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
a good antivirus is Avast www.avast.com it is free and is verry efficient
how ever any one claming that a antivirus program is ubeatable is full of crap because
there is no such thing that exist lol!
 crooked_clown
Msg: 102
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing, etc
Posted: 7/2/2007 7:33:41 AM
MAC DO get spyware
spwyare isn't just Pop-Ups, spyware is in the form of cookies which are target, for example if you shop online line at a supplier, which products you have chosen or looked at are recorded in the cookie, it's that information that is utilised

of course they do any os is suseptable to bad code lol
 wREAKAILDRON
Msg: 103
IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing
Posted: 8/26/2007 6:53:14 PM
stay off the internet.
 LoudSilence
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 11/11/2007 11:09:57 AM
Linux is an alternative Operating System for your PC. It is OpenSource, a product of the Internet and is a free operating system! It was developed by a Finnish undergraduate student Linus Torvaldus in September of 1991.This system allows people to work together on projects while keeping other information private. Linux and many appplications software and peripherals.It does support emulators , so you are able to run propietary software. Linux can support many users, and run many tasks.
 skybluiis
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 1/6/2008 6:47:54 AM
I don't know what virus I have but suddenly everything on my pc runs incredibly slow. I dowloaded AVG virus scan and it found like 10 infections. I only "healed" them and it still seems to be running slow. I then noticed that I can't turn on my firewall, for some reason it just won't work and I think that may have something to do with it. I just don't have the cash to take it in and have it checked out as that costs way too much money. Anyone got any ideas, before I actually read this thread I almost went out and bought Norton cause I thought it was the best virus cleaner around. Does anyone else have any suggestions???
 SmellOfPoop
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:19:11 PM
I love all the "install linux" posts. You "IT guys" miss the point here. Most Windows users are not computer literate, hence the reason they use Windows to begin with. If people find themselves fighting malware every day, what makes you think these same people are going to understand linux installations and some of the command line commands necessary for program installs?

Remember, people. Typical IT guys will recommend Windows to you because they know Windows will break on you and you will have to call them (and pay them) for their assistance. It's an ego thing.
 SmellOfPoop
Msg: 107
Posted: 1/10/2008 7:51:43 PM

MAC DO get spyware
spwyare isn't just Pop-Ups, spyware is in the form of cookies which are target, for example if you shop online line at a supplier, which products you have chosen or looked at are recorded in the cookie, it's that information that is utilised

another name is privacy-ware

Wrong. While it is true that cookies can track your movement, spyware and adware generally refer to programs that automatically install themselves and run in the background. Once these programs are running, they can hijack your browser, record your keystrokes, etc. This kind of evil software is not found on Mac. The only way to have these programs run on your Mac is to install it purposely, using your admin user name and password. If you purposely install a program that comes from a questionable source, then you deserve your fate.

By the way, it's Mac, not MAC. MAC is Media Access Control. Mac is short for Macintosh.

My name is smellofpoop. You wouldn't call me SMELL for short. It would be smell (or smelly )
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2008 6:54:12 AM
Poop

Mac's will be getting spyware soon, seems the us govt ordered loads for it's army as more secure than windows, so the chinese cyber army busy making tools to hack and cause chaos, much like windoze computers :)

running firefox with adblock, decent firewall and anti virus programs seem to work well :)
 wowsad
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/29/2008 5:24:08 AM
norton firewall is terrible. they found a way to take a 20mb program (@guard), and turn it into a 200mb program 2 months after purchasing it. and it has just gotten bigger.
 JadeMuse
Msg: 110
Posted: 2/20/2008 11:01:18 AM
Anyone else here getting Syware/Adware from CLEANER or Adware Purity Scan or TrojanVundo
FROM POF ITSELF???? Even using FireFox...
Is there an ADMIN to investigate this???
 sageb1
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:34:28 PM
the number one thing you need after the modem is setup is a router.
this stops 10 percent of the problems by helping to keep out the door knockers aka portscanning botnets.

the other thing you need to do is to use a good firewall software that can handle what the OP is talking about.
 sageb1
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2008 5:38:40 PM
i don't think pofadmin can block adcontent as well as the user who uses the site.

i use Ubuntu Linux and use privoxy, but it is wide open under epiphany so I use that only when i need google or to access a non-SSL website.

otherwise, privoxy and tor are almost mandatory to A) block bad cookies, scripts etc and B) have a secure tunnel between my computer and the target URL.

tho a faster computer will shorten the lag by a little bit.
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2008 12:13:33 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/21/itv_scareware_peril/

for an interesting read on popups :)

numpty m8 was on about buying mcafee for his low end 1/2 GB system, finally got him to install the trial of eset's security suite and he noticed that it did not take anything like the resources macafee did - think it was 200 mb less on his ram watcher

costs more though, but seems better :)

as for adverts - firefox and adblock plus a decent hosts file of all known advert servers, result is not see the adverts :)
 JadeMuse
Msg: 114
Posted: 2/22/2008 11:42:15 AM
Thanks, SageBeOne!
I am breaking out my universal translator (geek buddy) now...
 sageb1
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2008 2:31:37 PM
you'd be better to google "torproject" and "linux".

IMHO windows was designed to access data behind firewalls in computer pools, never wandering into the light of day to become malware roadkill. any sysadmin who allows http packets outside the intranet needed to get a secure proxy server to filter out pr0n and "accidental" leaks via Outlook Express e.g. code that compromises a machine via HTMLized email.

while OpenBSD is secure, and the GUI aka desktop can insulate most users from the shell, it's not for the worker drones but for propellorheads. it has security at the top of the list of online security.

Linux is fine and more robust for the Internet IMHO but your mileage may vary (YMMV).

Open Office is a great substitute for MS Office.

jed456
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2008 10:12:55 PM
I am no expert so please be kind I'm running windows xp sp2,spybot,avg and zone alarm and check for updates once a day Am I reasonably secure?Thanks for any help in advance.
 Khamrun
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2008 12:40:16 AM
I use Ad aware and Norton Anti Virus. Both work well.
 Ladytiel
Msg: 118
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:07:01 AM
One of the worse viruses or malware programs to end up with is the Antispyware 2008. 2009 and the Antivirusware 2008 or 2009. I updated the AVG sntivirus, and received the Antispyware 2009, which took over my computer. The malware program wiped out AVG, and copied the Microsoft Security Shield, the red one with the red x that warns of problems. This shield kept telling me that I had a security problem and needed to scan my computer, and then would start to scan using the malware scanner. I had to reboot the computer to get away from it. What the program does is to state that your computer has several problems and then wants you to buy the software program to remove all the viruses that your computer has. Problem is the so called viruses was put on the computer by the ones who want to sell you the program. If you purchase the program, all it does is to remove what was put on your computer and gives you the control of the computer.
Microsoft tried to help in removing this program, however because of what was programed into the computer, was unable to do so. I had to reformat the hard drive and lost everything. So beware of these programs and do not download any pop ups from them, or do any computer scanning with these programs
 Ladytiel
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/25/2008 7:18:08 AM
I got Antispyware 2009 from updating my AVG antivirus program, so pop ups are not the only danger for malware. Kept changing my home page, could not type messages, would skip or freeze the screen or word, kept wanting to scan the computer, and computer very slow. Microsoft techs tried to free up computer, but could not because of the malware program, had to reformat the hard drive and start over. Luckily nothing of real importance on computer, because I lost everything by reformating. Had heard that this malware invaded several virus and antispyware programs by posing as an update to that program. Once in the system trys to take over Microsoft Security anc even copies their shields. Passes as being recommended by Microsoft and a partner of Microsoft. No truth in the statememts.
 Ticketoride
Msg: 121
Posted: 9/3/2008 6:16:48 PM
how to get rid of box that says congratulations you have won!

For most Browsers, install the either of following Hosts Files:

Related LinksĀ»:Mike's Ad Blocking Hosts File
Hostman Ad Blocking File

If you are using the Firefox Browser, double your Ad-Crushing Power:

Related Links:Firefox: How to block Ads
 Ticketoride
Msg: 122
Posted: 9/3/2008 9:07:59 PM
How to remove specific users from searches?

There is no Plentyoffish Function to remove Specific Users from View, be it Search, E-mail, Viewed Me, My Matches, etc.

Related Links:Admin: Remove Users from Page Views
Admin: Adding something like that is easy
Admin: My Database is already over 100 Gigs
E-Mail: Top/Bottom Thumbnail Bar User Settings

You can use Third Party Utilities as an Add-on for your Firefox Browser to block specific Images.

You must be using the Firefox Browser to install the following Ad-Block Filters:
  • Adblock Plus
  • Remove It Permanently
  • Flashblock
  • NoScript

• Then simply "right-click" on any Image,
    "left-click" < Adblock Image > and/or
    < Remove This Permanently > as
    shown to the right:

And if you want Extra-Strength Anti-
    Spam Medicine, a super powerful
    Blocker safeguarding you from much
    of the Malware on the Net too, look
    no further than to:
    Hostsman Ad Blocking File<--- (Recommended for Advanced Users only.)

Ad-Block Filters:Browsers: Firefox/Disable or Uninstall Add-Ons
    Host Files: How do they work

Related Links:Annoying Advertisements
    Firefox: Adblock, Flashblock, Hosts Files, Advertising
     tjliddell
    Msg: 123
    view profile
    History
    Posted: 11/5/2008 6:57:45 AM
    One site I have used in the past on at least 5 pc's and my laptops is
    www.majorgeeks.com it is free to use and gives step by step instructions.

Utilize the search feature that is located on the left side of the screen (you have to scroll
    down to find it) I always type in trojans there and it will take you to the forum
    area that will show you how to get rid of trojans and spyware.

you should keep your logs after running any of the programs and if you still
    can not get your pc to run right, upload the logs to their forum and one of the
    techies there will look at it and then tell you what needs to be done.
    I have not had any problems with any of the pc's after using them.
    and my sisters haven't either..

Hope this helps and happy surfing everyone.
     Linneymay
    Msg: 124
    Posted: 12/28/2008 6:06:51 PM
    POF,
    Whenever I try to Im with someone I get a round circle with a line going through it and the box disappears. I have already tried to do everything suggested with allowing pop-ups from the toolbar. any suggestions as to how I can IM again?
    Thank you,
    Linney May
     airnomad
    Msg: 125
    Posted: 1/23/2009 10:29:53 PM
    Fire fox>IE

at the moment

untill the viruses fo for fox
     SmellOfPoop
    Msg: 126
    Posted: 1/31/2009 7:38:53 PM
    Anyone who gets malware in the form of viruses and spyware mostly asks for it without realizing it.

Using Windows is like moving into the ghetto. Yes, you can buy a $300 computer, just like you can buy a $50,000 house in the crappiest of neighborhoods.

Don't be surprised when your PC is infected regularly. Accordingly, don't be surprised when your house and car are broken into regularly.

And, your only rebuttal is, "Your house cost you $400,000. I got mine for $50,000. Who is the real fool?"

It's evident. The guy who paid $50,000 is the fool.

AT&T used to say, back in the day, you get what you pay for. Enjoy PAYING for the ghetto.
    Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  > IMPORTANT --> Spyware - Popups, Homepage Changing