Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 themadfiddler
Msg: 31
Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Lazy thinking is my bugbear...and refusal to see past those ideas which you have come to cling to as personal truths...especially when there is simply irrevocable proof that you are wrong.

That to me is the hallmark of the kind of brainwashed thinking that irritates me the most with the fundamentalist, and alas the debates in here suffer for it as the referee has to get called in when those who can't actually argue for a tinker's fart (wouldn't know how to construct one is more like it) resort to scriptural quotations that generally we are all aware of anyway and consider it a "proof" to an argument that was already over before they came in.

It's sad to see that kind of persistent "dumbing down" of a culture that seems to drag people bag to a more superstitious age that people in the 18th Century thought might be on the decline. If Voltaire, Paine, Rousseau, Hume, Newton and others could see some of the religio's of today, they would likely be rolling in their graves and those who were of the faith probably renounce it if only in protest at the closed-minded stupidity of the fundamentalist thinker.

So can we get a pound for pound trade...what's the going rate on a fundamentalist for cannabis then?
 JMars
Msg: 34
Anyone else annoyed with fundamentalists?
Posted: 2/11/2007 11:59:26 AM
Sheesh! If only the worst characteristic of Christianity was that it is pushy.

In the end, the sun can only rise so many times in the east, before you realize that the sun rises in the east.
 SteveHD
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/12/2007 5:34:59 AM

im a christian woman
not religious in the sense the world sees religious
u can see my other posts on this topic***

You are Christian...then you are Religious. The rest of the world is not going to make an exception for your very own definition of being Christian verses being Religious. In short you're demeaning every other religion by saying there is only Christian or Other. The world does not revolve around Chrisitianity.

and you are not rejecting me in anyway, you are rejecting the good news im sharing with you i have many many people in my life that love me , but not the messege i share

What in the H-E-double hockey sticks makes you think that you're spreading the good news around. Exactly what are you calling good news? The teachings of a Jewish prophet that's been dead for over two thousand years, whose message has been cherry picked, debated, twisted into making him a God; this is not good news.

I dont judge who NEEDS to hear it God says we all NEED it

God said so...really where? Don't quote the dirty Bible with pages made from human flesh written in the blood of the churches enemies. You've knowningly chosen to put your faith in that abomination after it has been well established that men cherry picked and edited those folk lore to serve their purposes. Concepts such as Original Sin are strictly man-made, yet you profess that God is in them.

Im sorry any of you had experiences with "pushy " christians
but for those of you who are offended by the gospel of Christ , i believe any christian would seem pushy

If by pushy christians you mean take the love that a man can have for God and twist it against him to manipulate him then yes...I'm a tad offended.
 JMars
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/12/2007 3:44:07 PM

Time to play Devil's Advocate.

The sun doesn't 'rise' or 'set' at all.

I think that you missed the point trippy. The point having been, how many times can a specific group of people alienate, denigrate, patronize, condescend, torture, murder, and otherwise engage in atrocious actions toward their fellow man, before we stop blaming people in general and realize that there is something in that ideology that is condusive to this sort of behavior?
 themadfiddler
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/12/2007 10:36:23 PM

Fundamentalism is an immature kind of christian outlook. Better the holy spirit led one

Umm. What?

The...uhm...holy spirit led one? No offense but all of the branches of Christendom "claim" inspiration by the Holy Spirit...including and ESPECIALLY fundamentalists...

They all come up nil on my PK meter. What about yours Igon?

So which one is it that you are referring to? *boggle*
 themadfiddler
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:23:02 PM
Sorry but this ^^^ is a bit of a non-starter...anyone can claim the above and often do and yet still produce conflicting points of view while still claiming to be "inspired by the Holy Spirit."

This includes a lot of so-called fundamentalists.
 themadfiddler
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/14/2007 9:13:49 PM
What I am saying is that such language can be used in a highly prejudicial and exclusionary fashion...and frankly those who "think" or claim they have the "Holy Spirit" (or equivalent in faith of your choice...call it spark of the Divine if you will) are often IMHO those farthest from it.

And of course, this ties right into our original topic and why I for one am annoyed with fundament-damned-mental-nits.

The greatest work of the spirit of the Divine I see is in service to one's fellow man, not standing in judgement of him...that is left to civil authorities and to the great judge in the beyond...

The moment I see someone stray from that I know when I can see their personal at work instead of the of their better nature.
 whitesburgwade1
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2007 8:53:20 AM
Hello Nymbus. You were absolutly around the wrong Babtist. We are supose to love ;even if we dissagree. I do pray you have found your spiritual center in life. Wade
 SteveHD
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/27/2007 11:28:38 AM

You were absolutly around the wrong Babtist

You know...this is something that does annoy me. I keep hearing the same thing when I share negative Christian experiences with other Christians

"Oh...those weren't real Christians"

"They sound like those people that give us real Christians a bad name"

It's kind of annoying that Christians in general have a lot of nerve to condemn everyone that's outside of Christianity and say the devil runs the world, but scandal amongst other Christians and they say "oh, what a shame. Let's forgive him and say he/she had a moment of weakness"

In short...Christians judge anyone outside of their faith except others calling themselves Christians.
 ReligiousSinner
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/1/2007 9:36:16 PM
I used to be...but now there's no point. I was there when I was a teenager, grasping for answers like so many adolescents and I fell in with the 'Born Again' crowd for a short period. Questions of faith and religion can be mind boggling and taking a fundamental approach makes things very easy....

The Bible is the end all and bee all, and you take it literally so you don't have to think...Fundies will tell me that if I don't accept Jesus as personal Lord and saviour I'm damned. Okay...no worries. They can tell me I have 3 legs and 5 arms if they want...doesn't mean it's true just because the book they think God wrote says so.
 rockondon
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2007 11:29:35 PM

Feral: But, I do identify. It certainly is difficult living in a society where one is constantly reminded of such things. Going to work every day, I'm constantly struck by the profusion of Salvation-Is-Nonexistant Army stores, Not-A-Saint Regular Guy hospital ambulances, people on street corners arguing at the top of their lungs that there's no such thing as a soul. And, don't even get me started on all the folks I deal with on a daily basis, draped all about with their atheist-symbol medallions and t-shirts without religious slogans, especially the ones that say good-bye with a hearty "No one bless!"

ha ha. I found this enormously entertaining.
 susan_cd
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/28/2010 12:55:05 PM
We know that this type of approach is not with the spirit of Christ, BUT,,, if we look at what their motive is I believe it stems from love.

Hmmm reminds me of that old saying about paving the road to hell...

Best bumpersticker I ever saw said "Jesus, protect me from Your followers"...I didn't have the guts to buy it tho, I figured some Christian would take offence to it & key my car.

Oh well, I still have my Darwin fish
 forumschick
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2010 10:48:19 PM
I never could understand why "christians" feel they have a license to intentionally misbehave in society if they pray to God for forgiveness.

Do you know for a fact that they were Christians? The reason I ask you is because I have yet to meet any Christian who will attend services before ten am, and have known some "True Christians" as they like to call themselves, no, most of us kind of drag our feet on sunday mornings considering the long list of things we need to ask forgiveness for...That is if we make it at all...

So what I am thinking is that they are Jehovah's witnesses, these are early risers, my God do they get up early, talk about true devotion! Oh and yeah, they don't believe in Christ therefore are not considered Christians...

If they are Jehova's witness, just say you are Christian, trust me they will go away.
Not surprisingly, the rivalry amongst religion groups is quite similar to the one amongst the countries involved in all of the war worlds. If you don't see it our way, watch out we are not tolerant people at all. Well, that's organized religion for ya...

I didn't miss any damn point, sir. Perhaps you are simply offended that your analogy was basically a load of crap? NOT all xians are fundies, not all religious people are bad, and not all secular people are good. People are people are people are people, and people are nothing more than critters wearing clothes and living in MASSIVE groups.

Yeah no, you certainly don't sound like one above. Couldn't tell by your responses!
 forumschick
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2010 11:10:40 PM

At least people there don't judge/make my mind for me
like my old church and well all Baptist chuches I have been to do!

They will eventually do so, I don't really think that makes them fundamentalists though, that is just a human being a Christian; we just cannot help ourselves.

Do not set your trust and faith in another human being like you; you are bound to be dissappointed. The one we need to look up to is Christ, not anyone of us, we will fail.

I am somewhat curious though, now that you have mentioned it; what is a fundamentalist?
 scorpiomover
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2010 4:32:36 AM

I am posting this because I am
sick of religious people judging others and pushing
their religion on to other people!
I get judged by religious people. But I get judged even more, by non-religious people.

You might as well face facts: We still live in a blame culture, in which some people of all types and persuasions are likely to judge you unfairly.

Just remember, that just as there are some religious people who judge you, that there are plenty of religious people who don't judge you, and that if you cast all religious people as judging you, then you are being just as judgemental, and you are simply doing to others, as you do not like to be done to you.

Stop.

Just stop judging people. You'll be much, much happier in the long run.
 forumschick
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 7/16/2010 10:06:13 AM
Just remember, that just as there are some religious people who judge you, that there are plenty of religious people who don't judge you, and that if you cast all religious people as judging you, then you are being just as judgemental, and you are simply doing to others, as you do not like to be done to you.
Stop.
Just stop judging people. You'll be much, much happier in the long run.

Easier said than done. While we are roaming around this world, it is impossible not to judge other's actions; I don't think it can be done. You can attempt to keep your mouth shut, but you are still forming a opinion, although it is being done silently, trust me evetually will come out and be shout out.
I think what you meant to say is to take in individuals individually literally; at least is what I understood.

We all tend to take a sample which advocates our already formed prejudices and then we like to make that sample the representative of its class. It goes with the territory...

Hey, when in doubt do what I do; when I see or hear people that just leaves me perplexed by their actions or words, all that I have trained myself to think is; He/she is human period.
In my opinion; that in itself is the only culprit of being what we are, of doing what we do, and saying what we say, everything else is just circumstancial.
 worldtraveller74
Msg: 62
Posted: 7/15/2011 3:04:30 PM
That's probably why most atheists are being all uppity lately. We're tired of having other people's views on morality and ethics forced upon us.
 forumschick
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 10:27:30 AM
That's probably why most atheists are being all uppity lately. We're tired of having other people's views on morality and ethics forced upon us.

You know, I just don't see how anyone can "force" their views on anyone else regardless of which side you are on. Both sides have claimed this and I fail to see how this is possible.

I have conversed with a good number of individuals throughout my life; and not once I thought that their opinion on any topic of conversation was in any way an imposition on their part to make me change my mind if a difference in views was present.

Again, because I have heard the above stated by a good number of people on either side almost equally; lately, I have made it a point to ask if others felt I was imposing my views by stating my opinion, and every single person I have asked, has agreed with me: it is impossible to 'force' any views on anyone else period, unless guns are involved of course…

My question to you is; why do you feel that you are being 'forced' to adopt other people's views? I mean, do people actually have the nerve to be as disrespectful of your individuality and say to you; "you have to believe, see, think, etc..."?
Now, I don't doubt that there are people like that; I just wish I would run into them, I would have so much fun with them...
 forumschick
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 7/19/2011 8:53:30 PM
Consider; Iranian, Saudi, Pakistani, etc governments as well as the Dominionism movement in the US and the influence of the RCC in many developing countries (El Salvador, etc).

I guess we can thank my God that we live in the US huh? Or whomever you thank...

A visit to a Republican Party event in the US would be very eye opening for you.

Once again, the human being that will 'force' their views, opinions, ways of thinking, etc; on me, does not exist. Now, people can attempt to persuade me to change my mind about something, but force me? It is just not happening…

It is my God given right, yes, God given, and not you, nor anyone else in this world can take away my freedom of thought, I can exercise it as I please. Another great blessing is that I live in this wonderful place where I can say what I think accordingly. There is not a thing you or anyone else can do about it.

Furthermore, it has been my experience; that the majority of the people that complain about others "forcing" their views on them, are usually the ones that can't stand to hear other’s views on any given topic if such differ from their own. Let me reiterate; I have experienced this with believers and non-believers almost equally…

Speaking one’s mind about any particular subject, isn't forcing one’s views on anybody.
Each one of us has a right to think whatever we want and say it accordingly. You don't like it? Well, I am sorry…

I am not really, but I thought it sounded good...

Respectfully,

worldtraveller74
Msg: 65
Posted: 7/21/2011 6:07:41 PM
lol how much they don't get the obvious is hilarious. American christian right. The new sharia law! woot.
 _shakti_
Msg: 66
Posted: 7/25/2011 11:40:58 AM
There is help out there: http://recoveringfundamentalists.com/
 forumschick
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 7/25/2011 8:37:33 PM

No

Clue

?

It's not suppression of thought that's a danger, it's legislated oppression via religious beliefs creeping into public institutions which should be only secular. Are not you at all aware of current events - Dominionists in the US legislating their religious views into laws?

Further, are you not aware of the fundamentalists who take it upon themselves to practice their religion by, …say; flying airliners into buildings? Blowing up government buildings? Burning down places of worship they don't agree with? Shooting doctors?

Can't have much freedom of thought if you're dead, can you?

I have just one word for you; Accountability.

I am well aware of not just current events, but also of the decadent state of our society as a whole.
I love it how in our observations of it, we act as if we had nothing to do with it. I am also a firm believer that someone is always responsible for it, with me, the whole “is nobody’s fault” just doesn’t cut it. Do we not get to choose our government? I thought so...

forumschick
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 7/27/2011 7:25:04 PM

I have just one word for you: Motivation

If people do something to further a cause, ideology or belief: It becomes part of the accountability.

Do tell, what exactly is that something you are doing?
Perhaps I can help, after all, we don't have to agree on what is causing the problem to know that it is going to take more than one person to fix it right?

Interesting...

You know, I haven't found anything remotely 'interesting' since I learned the laws of thermodynamics.
Hey, maybe that is my problem, okay, I know, that is just one of them...

WorldTraveler74
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/27/2011 8:01:46 PM
Decadent state of our society as a whole? Who made you judge jury and executioner of morals? This is america. I can have my morals and you can have yours. As long as I am not harming anyone you have no business in mine. That is my major issue with religious types. They think they DO have a right to get in my business. Maybe in Afghanistan or Iraq but not here in the US.
 forumschick
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 7/28/2011 1:20:41 PM

Decadent state of our society as a whole? Who made you judge jury and executioner of morals? This is america. I can have my morals and you can have yours. As long as I am not harming anyone you have no business in mine. That is my major issue with religious types. They think they DO have a right to get in my business. Maybe in Afghanistan or Iraq but not here in the US.

I wasn't questioning anyone's morals, quite frankly I think it is a made up word by religion.
I am not a jury or an executioner, and I agree with you wholeheartedly, you have a right to your 'morals' as much as I have a right to my opinion.
As you accurately stated; we live in America and I can view the world or society in any light I please, and yes I can voice it accordingly!!!
See? We are both on the same page here...

As much as I don't have a right to get into your business, you don't have a right to tell me what I can or cannot believe, what I can or cannot say...

I think we both got it right?

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >