Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 NortonG15CS
Msg: 26
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?Page 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Used to be a geek, still love Star Trek, and sci-fi in general. Hey, I've still have the original Enterprise hanging from my ceiling. But, as you get older you don't want (or need) that to be the center of your universe. It opens your mind to different possiblilities, and atitudes. And sometime it's just a fun story.

I love engineering because of Scotty. I'm more tolerant of different lifestyles and ideas. Plus, when the aliens do land we won't be immediately repulsed. Unless they give us the book "How to Serve Man"
 thecarebear
Msg: 27
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?
Posted: 2/11/2007 4:39:56 PM
i'm not a geek, dork, nerd or trekkie, if anything i'd consider myself a "diet trekker" all the caffine but half the taste, i've never dressed up for or been to a con, i know some klingon, i havent seen every episode, but 98% of them, only read a few of the books (mostly about Q, sorry, John DeLancie is hot) and i've seen all the movies, but mostly i know so much useless crap about the trek universe that i could trek-talk for hours, but noone cares that Gene Rodenberry's wife was the voice of the computer and dianna's mother, noone cares so most of that stays in the storage locker in my mind, unless you belong to a club, or go to cons, you dont find many fans anymore, i have the same amount of useless knowlage about the simpsons and family guy, but in the end, its just a show, and shows are there to entertaine.
 Ssinjin
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/12/2007 8:12:08 AM
If being a Trekkie is being a geek, then so be it! I have always loved Star Trek!!
 nedly
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/12/2007 9:06:26 AM
Your all a bunch of second/third generation wannabees. :-))

I was the first kid to dress up like Mr Spock for Halloween. I even had a Spock haircut Nobody knew who I was, which was a real disapointment.

My older sister has complete audio and video tapes of every episode from day 1 of all the series. She recorded them herself. she also owns every book ever written on Star Trek (I lost track at 400+)

Many years ago she was a Biochemistry scientist at McMaster University and she got an offer to join NASA lead by Nichele Nichols (Uhura). She turned down the job simply because she felt that nobody would pick a woman to go into space and certainly not a Canadian woman who suffers from motion sickness.

So who was the first female Canadian in space? Roberta Bondar a fellow scientist from Mac who attended at the same time! Her NASA specialty? Motion sickness!

A true story.
 wynnara
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/13/2007 1:08:25 AM
I used to like TNG in high school... went to a couple conventions because they are indeed a hoot--even just as a spectator of the craziness... kinda grew out of it though. I got the TNG Season 5 box set a while ago and I think I've watched one episode out of it. The whole series--and the ones that followed--seem so bland and sterile now.

bring me some Farscape any day!
 Scryer41
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/13/2007 5:48:49 AM
I've watched the Trek shows since it first started back in the 60's. I was but a kid then and at that point, very much a Trekkie. Then, as I got older, I became a Trekker. In other words, I found girls and had sex. But I also continued to enjoy going to conventions, dressing up, talking about it and the such. Now that I'm older, I've become something that I like to call a Trekologist.

What's a Trekologist?

A Trekologist is someone who not only enjoys the show, talks about it and will occassionally dress up at a convention for the fun of it, but will also study the cause and effects the franchise has had on society and politics in general.

No other t.v. franchise has ever had an effect on the lives of people in the world like Star Trek. Why is this? Because not only does it portray good storys that talk about current events and social situations, but it also gives a bright hope for Humanity's future.
 StarWars4Life
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/13/2007 8:25:42 AM
I like Klingons. They are so bad ass.
 Munkeechi
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:38:12 AM
Ok, I admit, I've offically hit nerd status. I got a new hamster on the weekend and named him Riker...

Yep, I admit it..

I'm a Star Trek Nerd...
 StarWars4Life
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/13/2007 9:45:39 AM
Remember when Riker punched out the Klingon? Pfffft! As if.
 maryrachelle
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/13/2007 2:27:26 PM
well i dont admit it too much but i have the dvd collection of season 1 2 and 3 so yep i guess you could call me a nerdy trekkie.
 Scryer41
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/18/2007 5:07:35 PM
For all us Trek Fans, the Histroy channel is putting on a 40th anniversary documentry called Star Trek: Beyond The Final Frontier starting 9pm EST on Monday. If you want to watch it, check your times to see when it's on in your area.
 moon_fish
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/18/2007 8:25:18 PM
Last night watched Wrath of Kahn with my son for maybe the 6th time, Love it !
 shydog
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/19/2007 10:39:21 PM
i think wearing vulcan ears or a star trek uniform is more deviant today than having a bunch of tattoos and piercings.
 Scryer41
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/19/2007 10:56:42 PM
shydog

i think wearing vulcan ears or a star trek uniform is more deviant today than having a bunch of tattoos and piercings.

This coming from a guy who looks like the Burger King in his photo.

I'm just mess'n with ya!
 designingwoman
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 6:46:46 PM
At least you can take the Star Trek uniform and Spock ears off. With tattoos, you're stuck with them!

I dress as a Classic Klingon to conventions. Basically, I am wearing black slacks with a black turtleneck, along with a gold sweater vest and warrior's sash. All I need to do is take the sash off, and I look like I am ready for the golf course. I can go out to dinner while attending a convention and not look like I've come from the convention. I like going to this very nice restaurant when I go to United Fan Con, and would feel silly wearing a Star Trek outfit into the restaurant. Just taking the sash off makes it easy enough to eat at a nice restaurant and not look silly while there. After dinner, I can put the sash back on when I return to the convention, where it is more appropriate.

Freaky is when someone wears Star Trek outfits for everyday wear, such as to work (unless you work at the Star Trek Experience, that is!). Inappropriate use of such an outfit is freaky, not the occasional wear of said outfit to a convention or private fan club function.

Live Long and Prosper!!

DW
 Random Entry
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2007 9:03:26 PM
Cute, Munkeechi.

I got a real chuckle of out last night's HEROES where the Japanese guy is giving everyone the Vulcan symbol and saying "I come in peace.". I cracked up every time he did it!
 Scryer41
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/21/2007 5:36:48 AM

Freaky is when someone wears Star Trek outfits for everyday wear, such as to work (unless you work at the Star Trek Experience, that is!). Inappropriate use of such an outfit is freaky, not the occasional wear of said outfit to a convention or private fan club function.

Sort of like that woman who was on jury duty and always wore her Star Fleet Uniform! She got a lot of attention! Some fans supported her in doing what she did while others were embarressed and felt she made Trek fans look foolish.

Out side event related situations, I'd never go that far. Trek is fun, work is work. You can talk Trek, but don't live it 24/7! Unless, of course, it's Halloween.

I watched the History Channels Star Trek: Beyond The Final Frontier and they made the comment that though fans are avid about the show, they are normal people who live normal lives. But I think they forgot about that woman and her jury duty.
 designingwoman
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/21/2007 7:33:00 PM
Oh, yeah, I remember that whack job who wore her Trek outfit to jury duty. She is an embarrassment to the everyday Trek fan who lives normally.

Exactly my point--Trek outfits are fine for events such as conventions or charity events.

The Shat himself has said, "Get a life"!! And I think he directed that at loony tunes like that woman on jury duty.
 Scryer41
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/21/2007 9:11:00 PM
Well, I can see how she thought it was a statement about truth, justice and the Federation way but she really should have thought about it before doing it.

There is a dentist who has done up his office with a bunch of Trek / sci-fi stuff. He and his staff all dress in Next Gen uniforms. So, I am wondering... is that going to far or is that just a gimic to get clients? Either way... I think it's one of those things that could go either way when it comes to Trek Fandom and Trek Fanatic.
 4h couture
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/7/2007 7:55:21 PM
Yeah sorry to break it to you.... if you like or love Star Trek... you're a GEEK!!! didn't you get the memo???? But thanks for coming out!

gentlyplease
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/7/2007 8:45:16 PM
Watch the movie Galaxy Quest...they are obviously making fun of Trekkies...funny movie, too
 Leana76
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/8/2007 12:14:49 PM
I personally don't care for them. I don't really like talking about that stuff during the entire date...BORING!!!! No thank you, not interested...Go find yourself the space martian of your dreams (I'm not her)...
 designingwoman
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2007 5:56:49 PM
That dentist is over the top, as is that nutty woman who wore a Trek outfit every day to jury duty.

I can tell you right now, as president of a Trek fan club chapter, I would not admit her to my chapter, nor would the president of the other local chapter to which I belong. I discussed this with him, and he said that someone like that would be disruptive to the functioning of a chapter full of ordinary people who happen to like Star Trek. Some members don't even own a Trek outfit, and are just fans of the show who also like the organizations' involvement in the community. Our focus is on supporting various charities as well as having fun. Someone like that would interfere with the other members' activities and cause too much trouble. For most of the days at a convention I wear my club chapter polo shirts. I only "dress up" for one day out of the three days.

I've been offered the chance to buy a Trek outfit for $200, but then I would have to hire a tailor to make the outfit fit me. I am sorry, but I am not interested in spending upwards of $400 for something I would wear maybe once or twice a year, if that! I decided I could outfit myself for about $100 with an authentic Classic Klingon outfit for twice a year--less money, and it's easier to change out into regular clothing to go out to dinner during a convention. I already have the black slacks and turtleneck, and a quick change into a normal sweater later I am ready to go out to the restaurant. Easy enough!

I do agree with the above poster, that even though I am a Trek fan, my life is far more than my interest in certain books, movies and TV programs. I have many interests, and might only touch briefly on my interest in Trek during a first date, if that. I enjoy travel, fine dining, all kinds of movies, sports, cooking, interior design, politics, reading, the beach, shopping, spending time with friends and family, and music to name a few things I like.

Even though I happen to be a Trek fan, I would be equally turned off by someone who wore Trek outfits for everyday wear.
 B. Diva
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/8/2007 8:55:48 PM
I must second what gentlyplease has posted above - Galaxy Quest is a very obvious spoof on StarTrek and it is freaking brilliant! Tony Shaloub - before he was Adrian Monk - was wonderful - well the whole cast was really - it also pokes fun at the obsessed fans.

For the poster who mentioned Babylon 5 - several years ago when I was in school I got into several debates with classmates about Trek versus B5 - people were shocked and astounded when I told them Majel Barrett had made a guest appearance on B5 so clearly SHE thought the show had something going for it. She was really good too - and her character was BALD which was ironic since Lwaxana Troi has so many elaborate wigs.

Dar
 Scryer41
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/9/2007 1:56:23 PM
I would like to stand up and be counted as a Questie! Wouldn't it be funny to have a t.v. show based on a movie that was based on a fake t.v. show that was a parody of a real t.v. show running now?

Oh man... that hurt my head!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?