Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 yna6
Msg: 51
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Hurt my head following it...but managed....must be that "logic" thing we half Vulcans have going for us, while the rest of you "hoomans" stagnate in your own feeble thoughts...hehehe...

Gotta love the ferengi.....often said that some sales people must have some ferengi in them...especially some of those used car salespeople.
 busy_mom
Msg: 52
Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?
Posted: 3/9/2007 10:23:08 PM
I enjoy all the star trek series except enterprise which sucked. I go to conventions and dress up while my kids dress up in star wars costumes. They love it. My (now ex) husband used to tell me it was ridiculous. My question to him was what's the difference between wearing a costume to a convention and wearing hockey stuff to a hockey game. You dress for the occasion and in support of what you're a fan of.
Am I a geek? I've been called much worse but I have a normal life like most fans.
 Art Vandolay
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/10/2007 1:33:33 AM
I don't think I am constantly ribbed for liking Star Trek. And I call myself a Geek more than anyone other person does. Star Trek, IMO is a soap opera for those of us who hate soap operas. I personally liked the story lines more than I liked the sci-fi aspect. But of course I wouldn't take away the sci-fi part.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I like Trekkies/ers they are smart, they make things go.
 Scryer41
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/10/2007 5:09:16 AM
What other show has been on for 40 years in the U.S., has produced several films, hundreds of books, and inspired so many people to do wonderful things with their lives? No other show in history can claim this! And even though it is mocked at times by non-sci-fi fans, it has brought about a viewpoint that is not only positive but inspiring! Does Star Trek have the right to boast about it's effects on our world? You betcha!

I remember reading in one of the early books about Star Trek (I believe it was in "Star Trek Letters") that an officer and his tank crew came across a group of enemy soldiers. I would have to go back and read it to give you the full detail, but for some reason he called out to the group saying that he was Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise and if they did not surrender, he would be forced to use his Corbomite Device on them. He didn't think it would work, because he knew they wouldn't understand his language. But out of the brush and trees the group came, with their hands up. Apparently, they had seen one of the Classic Trek shows and thought it really was Kirk.
 BunnyxBounce
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/26/2009 4:40:21 AM
Rubbish, there was never a defining term for trekker or trekkie .... it could mean that but someone posted that trekkie was the original series and trekker the newer!

I would say i'm a Trekkie for no other reason than i absolutely love star trek and if i prefered the word trekker (which i also heard was used for all sci - fi and not just trek) then i would call myself that for the same reason!

Live long and prosper

*Starstuff*
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/26/2009 11:41:39 AM
You can call me a Trekkie, a Trekker, a geek or whatever. I don't care. I love the shows and was a huge fan of TNG especially. I have about 100 TNG action figures, have gone to sci-fi cons, have met many of the actors and had a private tour of the sets of Voyager and Deep Space 9. I can't wait for the new movie!!!

If someone is being derogatory towards me about it, it's their problem not mine. I find it a lot of fun. And I find that many people who enjoy science fiction of different kinds are creative and imaginative.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 2:13:52 PM
Bill Gates, the wealthiest (or second wealthiest) person on the planet is a nerd.

I would say the primary difference between a nerd and a geek is that geeks, in general, work for nerds; nerds generally do not work for geeks.

Trekkers would be more likely to be nerds, trekkies more likely to be geeks.

If your life depends on someone knowing the difference between sodium hydroxide and sodium perchlorate, it doesn't matter much if they are geeks or nerds, Trekkers or Trekkies, be nice to them.
 adamISaNAMEiHAVE
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/26/2009 2:28:59 PM
I love it! Everything to do with it.

And yes . . . that makes me a geek . . .

: /

I don't really talk about it unless surrounded by other geeks and a convention sounds pretty boring . . . but it still makes me a geek.

lol
 themadfiddler
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/26/2009 3:14:47 PM

My question to him was what's the difference between wearing a costume to a convention and wearing hockey stuff to a hockey game. You dress for the occasion and in support of what you're a fan of.

Well said...there is absolutely no difference. Except of course I have yet to hear about drunken Star Trek fans overturning cars, breaking windows or causing riots when their team loses...

Which is clearly why we need more Klingons
 xzanthius
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/26/2009 6:21:24 PM
My favorite alternate universe on T.V.

Infinite Diversity in infinite combination.
 spicynicegirl
Msg: 61
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:00:35 PM
I love Jean Luc Picard and I don't care what anyone thinks........................
 itechman63
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:04:48 PM

Hey, I've still have the original Enterprise hanging from my ceiling.

You must have a big azz house!

See, if you like Star Trek or some sci-fi openly you're too geeky for some but if you can't say what specifically happened when asked about Episode 47 then you're rejected by the geeks.
 *Starstuff*
Msg: 63
Posted: 4/26/2009 8:13:22 PM
LOL

As I said above, I loved Star Trek The Next Generation. I didn't know the number of the episodes but it used to be that someone could tell me the title and I'd know the storyline and vice versa. But, that's all been deleted. Now I'm lucky to remember my neighbor's names.
 digipix3d
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 4/26/2009 10:21:59 PM
I don't consider myself a Trekkie geek. I liked all the Star Trek series, but never took interest in Deep Space Nine. Never been to a convention nor wore Star Trek clothing.

My Chinese bowl cut hair might have resembled Spock's when I was little, but I wasn't watching Star Trek at that age. I had some McDonald's Star Trek toy from a Happy Meal, but that was about it.

Farscape was really my favorite space sci fi TV series.
 Scryer41
Msg: 65
Posted: 4/27/2009 9:57:55 AM
I'm happy to see other Trek fans speaking up here. It's almost a taboo subject in social sites like this. But if you talk about LOST or 24... everyone can relate. Why is that? Trek is just as cool as (and in some cases, better than) the programs you see on T.V. today. Just because Trek is full on Sci Fi and has a massive following, anyone who hears someone talking Trek instantly gets that look in their eyes. "Oh... one of those people." Holy crap. I don't say that about someone who watches all the CSI shows that are out there. They like it, I dig that. I don't put them down for it.

Those who read these forums and think Trek Folk are retarded or geeky should get a clue.

I'm going to the new movie on May 9th. I'd go first showing on the 8th, but I have to work. I must admit that it won't be Trek without hearing all the catch phrases from Classic Trek. You know... "Damn it, Jim! I'm a doctor not a (fill in the blank!)" or "I canna give her any more! If I do, she'll blow. Ya canna change the laws o' physics!" or "Hailing frequencies open." or "Kipton, there's Klingons on the starboard bow!" You get the idea. I hope J.J. Abrams does a great job with this film, but I also want to see some of the flavor of the original in it.

Live long and prosper.
 itechman63
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 4/27/2009 2:51:48 PM
I will say that I am wondering how I will react to seeing Sulu not hanging around with Kumar.
 Scryer41
Msg: 67
Posted: 5/8/2009 7:55:38 AM
I don't believe the "character" Sulu ever meet the man.
 BBW2Love
Msg: 68
Posted: 5/8/2009 2:45:54 PM
Love Star Trek and yes I am a nerd. Though no, I have never dressed up as a Star Trek character. Well okay, I did once, but it was for a costume party. Only went to one convention. I was extremely embarassed for the young man who asked Patrick Stewart, if he got any tips on being captain of the Enterprise from William Shatner. Never went again.

Saw the documentary film "Trekkies" twice. This is the best Star Trek film out there and I encourage all Star Trek fans to see it. There are some creative, fun, intelligent and decent people in this movie who are also wacky as the day is long. Which I hope describes me as well.
 the.best.guy.ever
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 5/8/2009 2:53:56 PM
I like pretty much all of the Star Trek shows, though I don't care much for the original (oddly enough it's too vanilla and goofy for me). I enjoy watching the movies as well, and will be heading out tonight to watch the new Star Trek.

I do not, however, plan on dressing up as a character anytime soon (ok never), just as I don't think I'll ever dress up as Wolverine even though I'm just about the right height, and think that's one of the coolest characters in any comic book.

But Star Trek does not guide or control my life as it might the other more, hard core, fan(atics) who live and breath by its ideals and fantasy. That is taking it a bit far, but hey whatever they like, I don't care. I just simply look the other way and giggle before turning my face back and walking past.
 xzanthius
Msg: 70
Posted: 5/8/2009 3:51:14 PM
So... anyone see the big number VIII? Was it any good... it's been getting decent reviews. I've gotta wait till it comes out on DVD (no theaters... )
 daylillies2
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 7:29:44 AM
^^^going to see it Sunday with my girlfriend ...and I cant wait...mmmmmmm......popcorn..yummy.. I'll let ya know. not geeky, everyone is a geek in their own unique ways.
 lady read only
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2009 11:21:03 AM
I agree with firefly being a great show. Very sad it didn't live longer.

I am a trekkie, been to many conventions, have many autographs. Even have a box set of the original movies on vhs, signed. My daughter has even played peek a boo with Avery Brooks, and I used to deliver pizza to Jimmy Dohans house, a little start struck there.

Does this make me a geek, I guess so, but I am proud of it. Do I look like a geek?Probably not, atleast I don't think I do.

So cheers to all that say it loud and proud.
And to all that don't? may you find the inner strength to show it.

May everyone live long and prosper. Especially in these tough times.

Oh BTW the most common question asked at the Trekkie conventions? Where is the bathroom. It is asked multiple times at the same convention too.
 blindwonder
Msg: 73
Posted: 5/9/2009 3:01:22 PM
I'm also off this evening to see the latest film. Not much else culturally has stuck around for 40 years, Granted Enterprise wasn't a super spin off but the other three did exceptionally well.
I love the series, a toss up between TWOK, and First contact as to my fav film.
It's hopeful, a much nicer future to look forward to.
 ~CaDreamin~
Msg: 74
Posted: 5/9/2009 9:54:29 PM
OMG!!! My son and I just returned from seeing the movie and absolutely loved it! The casting was brilliant (in my opinion) and I loved all the actors including one of ATL's favorites! I don't want to say anything else, because I don't want to give anything away. But I'm giving it a big thumb's up! Unfortunately, the IMAX showings were all sold out tonight, but loved it so much I'll be going next week to see it on the IMAX screen.
 Selima
Msg: 75
Posted: 5/9/2009 10:16:14 PM

I'm just intruiged as to how other people feel about constantly being ribbed for liking Star Trek and being called a geek all the time! Isn't it just another TV show-yet you don't find fans of 24 being ribbed-cos its considered 'cool'! I'm proud to be a Trekkie but do any other Trekkie fans proudly call themselves geeks?
I don't think they're geeks, I just think they are boring because it is something I have no interest in. That they seem to think others should be interested in it is tiresome. It is also tiresome when people focus on, even obsess on one thing...like 'being a Trekkie.' A person with a wide variety of interests is far more interesting to me than someone who focuses on one limited area.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Star Trek-Trekkies-geeks or not?