Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 nipoleon
Msg: 2
view profile
History
classPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Class has become a passe term in our society, we hardly know what it is anymore.
Carey Grant had class, and James Bond when he was Sean Connery.
We used to depend upon our Sports Heroes to deport themselves with class, but that disappeared long ago.
We have become a Trailer Trash society.
We dress with Red Neck chic.
Snobs used to look down on others in disgust, now snobs look up at others in disgust.

But Class, is really more of an attitude rather than a look.
Stoic in the face of defeat, generous in success.
Compassionate and considerate towards others, modest in themselves.
Classy people exercise control over themselves and approach life as a skill to be mastered.
 CrabbyPants
Msg: 6
class
Posted: 10/26/2006 9:59:11 AM
Class is shutting the **** up and listening..
Stop thinking you have all the answers and actually try to learn from others.
it's contributing to your community, maybe not with money..but deeds . ( volunteering with old people and youth and simple stuff like keeping your yard tidy, not playing your music too loudly...basic respect)

Class is many many things..not how you look while you live life..but what an attribute you are to your fellow humans.
 Fry Lock
Msg: 10
view profile
History
class
Posted: 10/26/2006 11:11:04 AM
Classy people don't have to tell you how classy they are; they just are; they know how to act in public, (and in private) love their mothers and are nice to animals; they'll hold open the door for you (anyone, not just women) if they are the first one thru; they'll give you their seat on the train, and pick up your stuff if you drop it.

I don't think class has anything to do with how much money you have..

case in point Axel Rose; no one will ever accuse him of having class, and he's got money falling out of his big obnoxious mouth.

Fry
 JMars
Msg: 12
class
Posted: 10/26/2006 2:21:04 PM
Hmmm. I figue that class has alot to do with conducting yourself in a dignified and admirable manner. Not being too showy -- I believe it is called exercising discretion -- especially about things best left behind closed doors, being diplomatic, and simply being conscious of the effects of your actions on the world around you.

It is the opposite of being vulgar.

I don't think that leaving/not caring about food being stuck in your teeth is anymore or less classy than digging it out in a vulgar manner. It should be removed... discreetly.

A classy person may or may not dress well or have loads of money. We would *hope* that those that do have loads of money would conduct themselves with class, as they are very visible and often envied. Of course, the outward/materialistic signs can easily obfuscate a persons true character, and may very well be intended to do exactly that.

Ultimately, a person of class has it whether they are dressed in tuxedo and driving a porsche or dressed in jeans and a t-shirt and busing it around town. Those that think otherwise are not people of *class*; being to vulgar to recognize the subtleties of honour and class.
 JMars
Msg: 13
class
Posted: 10/26/2006 2:35:28 PM
Oh yeah, I would add that social context also has alot to do with being classy. For instance, there is nothing classy about going into a working class bar and stikcing one's nose in the air and taking a attitude with the people trying to unwind there.

A person of class knows where and when. Sometimes a little vulgarity can be a sign of class, amongst the right people and at the right time and place.
 ISORealismNOTPerfection
Msg: 14
class
Posted: 11/14/2006 6:47:09 AM
Some may disagree w/me, as we all have opinions, but here's mine: A person w/class has as said before self-respect, confidence in themself, cares for mankind in general before he/she does themself(as in helping others), the way they dress means nothing to me, it is about character. A classy person could be someone dressed "poorly" yet as the manners of a lady/gentleman. A high society person could be dressed "to kill" have no manners, no compassion, which to me equals to no class. A persons character glows if they have class, if their character has no "class" then the person will be dull, boring and no glow. Does that make sense?
 DevineDene
Msg: 15
class
Posted: 11/15/2006 12:06:30 PM
Class is to rank something, or group it.

The word everyone is looking for is Integrity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrity

The Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Encyclopedia all seem to agree, hmmmmm
 DevineDene
Msg: 16
class
Posted: 11/16/2006 5:06:56 AM
Metalic Blue I never argue with a man when he's right.....
OP's
I prefer a man with class. He knows how to dress, and there is nothing wrong with casual, but lots wrong with sloppy.
, is indeed refering to classy.

OP's
To me class is self respect, manners, self confidence, caring about others, selective and discriminating.
, is Integrity

One can dress with class and still have no integrity, or have integrity without the appearance of class.

:jumper
 auntymar
Msg: 17
view profile
History
class
Posted: 11/16/2006 5:38:59 AM
The person who has class is the person who people will notice when they enter a room. It has nothing to do with looks or how they dress. It has more to do with the way they carry themselves and the air of confidence that they portrait.
Once you get closer to the person you realize that they are the type who do not need to be in the spotlight-- they can make another person shine by taking a genune interest in the people around them. They are the ones that tend to be the natural leaders but also encourage everyone to become the best they can. They can easily talk to anyone in the room. They may start the conversation but do not need to talk nonstop with nothing to say. They have learned how to listen. They know how to get another person to talk. They have learned how to put another person before themselves.
They would likely be embarrassed to be in public with displays of rudeness (burping/ farting/ readjusting the bra straps/ readjusting the "boys" etc). What I am saying here is that they know and practice the appropriate manners and behaviors to be accepted in and by the public.
Notice that I tried to be nongender here-- there are plenty of classy men and women out there---- we just tend to not be the first ones noticed as we allow the more crass ones take the spotlight for now-- knowing in confidence that when it really counts-- we will shine through!! LOL!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >