Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is the fairytale impossible after 30?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lostgirl71
Msg: 351
Is the fairytale impossible after 30? Page 15 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I dont believe in fairy tales but I do believe that someone who is, in most aspects, perfect for you would most likely occur later in life anyhow. At this point you are more aware of what you want and more precisely what you dont want. You are more settled in life and able to spend more time with a person.

People change as they age so the man who was perfect for you in your 20's could be your nightmare in your 40's.
 salamander000
Msg: 352
view profile
History
Is the fairytale impossible after 30?
Posted: 12/26/2010 10:06:20 AM

Why not just marry the easter bunny? If you're going to have an imaginary relationship, why not have it with an imaginary character? I hear he's single.

Easter Bunny is off limits, you've pushed the envelope..Santa bounces kids on his lap all day
 DallasSBF
Msg: 353
Posted: 1/2/2011 6:37:57 AM
It was impossible before 30.
 Ma-che-fai-tu
Msg: 354
Posted: 1/3/2011 5:06:41 AM
The fairytale is never impossible. Some couples ( in the making) are just late bloomers!
 cookie22222
Msg: 355
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2011 12:03:35 PM
Well...after a pretty bad 1st breakup, I was awfully cynical - and then the fairy tale happened to me. I was 34. And we were perfect and happy together and nothing, absolutely NOTHING else mattered, as long as I ended every day in his arms. Happily ever after lasted for 6 years, almost - then he died.

So - yes.
 JP1111
Msg: 356
Posted: 1/6/2011 4:52:34 AM
You hit the nail right on the head!!!

it wasnt the guy i imagined

This is so true especially in the beginning when it's all hunky dory and you wake up next to each other thinking “how did I ever love my life without you?”.

I don't believe their is a fairytale in any relationship simply because in any relationship there are disagreements, arguments etc... The fairytale relationship excludes all of that and paints them to be nice ALL the time but let's face it, it's the highs and lows that makes them stronger... or breaks them.
 english lass
Msg: 357
Posted: 1/7/2011 5:43:45 PM
"Is the fairytale impossible after 30?"

sure, anyone can kiss a frog... or frogette :)
 valenciacityx
Msg: 358
Posted: 1/8/2011 12:06:24 AM
sure its possible
just remember in the original Hansel and Gretle, the witch eats the kids

or is that not the fairy tale you meant
Really, go read the originals, not the Disney versions; it might just cure you of wanting a 'Fairy tale' ending.
 _Iconoclast_
Msg: 359
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2011 11:28:31 AM
Fairytale? Hm.
 renegadeoutlaw
Msg: 360
Posted: 1/16/2011 4:18:19 PM
Well.....it's too bad Walt Disney ruined it all for us.......

Remember all the fairytales we listened to when our parents read them to us as children??

Remember how Prince Charming came to the rescue on his white horse and they rode off into the sunset and lived happily ever after???

Well....does anybody out here know what happily ever after is???? What really happened to Cinderella and Snow White???? Unfortunately, the story ended with the line of "they lived happily ever after......."

For many of us, the happily ever stuff after didn't happen. - or worse yet, it turned into a nightmare. - and when those of us finally woke up and realized the fairytale didn't exist, it was avery rude awakening.

It is always better to deal with reality. Unfortunately, there are many of us out here who don't and choose to live in a fantasyland. Sad but true.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 361
Posted: 1/16/2011 7:59:11 PM
Wanting a "fairytale" is about as silly as a pro ball player feeling unsatisfied and dopey because their career in sport didn't match the ESPN highlight reel they've viewed as a teen. Real life situations are not highlight reels.... they're not classic RomComs or fairytales.

As someone put it best: The woman I'm happy with is better than the woman of my dreams. The woman I'm with is real, the woman of my dreams is just a fabrication in a dream.
 eddee shaw
Msg: 362
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2011 3:32:42 PM
It has to do with your expectations. I read in POF " looking for my soul mate" and all these profiles on here expecting perfection. the only thing that is perfect is imperfection.If you expect a perfect fairytale there is no such thing in real life, but there are some really good time and some majic times and so wonderful times. Don't expect just go with it.
 debe77
Msg: 363
Posted: 1/27/2011 12:34:04 PM
It depends what your idea of "fairytale" is. I will always believe that absoutely yes there is someone special waiting for me, we'll have a connection, and enjoy life together. It won't be "work".
Msg: 364
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2011 9:37:53 PM
As one gets older, one's options narrow.
The "fairytale" is only available to those whose preconceptions either align with or are flexible enough to accommodate the available choices.
 JRodriguez81
Msg: 365
Posted: 1/28/2011 10:50:56 PM
I never understood why people believe their entire romantic life should be sealed, and delivered before they hit that dreaded 3-0

I'd like to think we've grown out of that nonsense, but apparently it isnt so.
Msg: 366
view profile
History
Posted: 1/30/2011 2:05:23 PM
jrodriguez81:
Probably because most people never expected to have to consciously conduct a search for a suitable partner; because sex and romance is visible through media to the greatest extent in history, and people judge themselves by what they perceive to be social norms as depicted in the media; people are more isolated, have fewer extended social networks with meaningful connections, and are desperate for not only romantic love but emotional support from friends; because biology has not changed in spite of any societal focus on careerism, and people still want to have children while they are able; because many people would prefer not to be in their 60s when their children graduate from college; because people think that by thirty they should be building a life with another person, rather than waiting to meet someone.

That's off the top of my head.
 ferruginous
Msg: 367
view profile
History
Posted: 1/31/2011 9:23:52 AM

Do you believe you can meet someone incredible....and its not complicated or difficult
Perhaps it's more possible over 30, to find a relationship without complications or drama.
The pool of single people your own age may be smaller.
But, many of the people are more likely to be more mature, more emotionally stable; and have a better idea of what they want in life, and in a partner.
 GlassicGentleman
Msg: 368
Posted: 2/3/2011 7:04:12 AM
I still believe in the fairy tale, but you have to work for it. Nothing comes for free. Everything you do comes with hard work, love, and commitment. If you don't have that, then there's only a horror story or today's reality TV.
 majyk1
Msg: 369
Posted: 3/10/2011 4:07:52 AM
I don't believe in fairytales either.
And I just don't understand what would make a woman (or man) think that being married, have 2.5 kids a dog and a cat, living in a house with a white picked fence is the best life can get? Ok maybe the house and the fence. And the dog too...
But then again.... life is what YOU make of it.
 changingtide
Msg: 370
Posted: 3/11/2011 3:44:16 AM
Fairytales are just fairytales at any age.
 FyrKrakn
Msg: 371
Posted: 3/13/2011 2:14:03 PM
Gag me with a spoon. Fairytales are fantasies for immature minds and hearts. A lovely romantic story, a white wedding, a happy forever after? Buhbuhbuhbohorrrrrring.

A best friend, a partner, a plan the two work actively upon? What's wrong with that? You want infatuation and promises no human could keep? Have at it. I want to grow and my partner to grow. I want to share in struggles and triumphs, trials and tribulations. I want it all, and that includes the bad and the ugly along with the good and beautiful.

The original fairytales were like that, both beautiful and beastly. We've corrupted them by accepting only half of what they were really meant to be.
 Coma White
Msg: 372
Posted: 3/14/2011 1:01:53 PM
I agree. I'm not looking for any sort of fairy tale. If the good Lord gives me a girl that's nice to be around, that's good enough for me.
 happybunny8
Msg: 373
Posted: 3/14/2011 1:31:37 PM
Having witnessed the death of a child, depression, illness and such befall my grandparents and parents up close, I never had the illusion that it was a fairy tale.

I always knew you had to put in an effort.
 javalover
Msg: 374
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:41:44 PM
I don't think it's impossible. I just think that not everyone is going to get one. And 'fairytale' is a different thing for each person. Just because someone else wants something, doesn't mean it's what you have to want as well.

I see people on here saying "I don't want a fairytale - I just want to meet someone that'll love me and we'll be happy" - well guess what dumbass - that's a friggin fairytale. It just happens to be YOUR version. Fairytale = happy. That's what it means. Not a castle and all that crap. Good Lord.

FyrKrakn
Msg: 375
Posted: 3/16/2011 3:42:32 PM
Don't be a dork, java we aren't idiots. We understood the question, the OP definately meant fairytale as in traditional happy ever after soul mates love at first sight we become one with a white wedding and picket fence to frame it all. And we answered quite appropriately.

No, my ideal of contentment is NOT defined by me as my own "fairytale." I would never use that to describe my romantic desires.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is the fairytale impossible after 30?