Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is the fairytale impossible after 30?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 GuitarGuy_
Msg: 51
Is the fairytale impossible after 30? Page 3 of 20    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20)
I think people expect Disneyland every day from a marriage and it's just not so. Even in Disneyland someone has to sweep up after the elephants. A marriage takes work, it will have it's ups and downs. We are only human. It won't be perfect, the problem is instead of working through things, it's just easier to cut and run.
 carolann0308
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Is the fairytale impossible after 30?
Posted: 9/22/2007 12:01:47 PM
God I hope so, I would love a Happy Ever After. I do not expect a perfect road without twists and bumps along the way but just to have someone love me as much as I love them.
 lilian76
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2007 10:06:51 PM
yes, i think it is very possible. BUT,why do you ask other people?you know what you feel better then anybody else...
 lechef72
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/6/2007 7:09:02 PM
Never! Or I'm s-s-s-c-c-cr-ewed!
Hahahahaha! Charisma Baby! Attack the world like it owes you something, because
you have something to offer at any age! 1972...am I right? Good Year!
Lucky year!
 tireofbeinglonely2
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 10/27/2007 10:23:49 PM
I wanna believe that its possible...
 liveyourlife
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2007 6:05:50 AM
I would love to believe in the fairytale but as time goes on and I reflect on the relationships I've been in I belive the title of romantic/comedy is more appropriate. (followed closely by romantic/horror ... lol)
 c_deacon
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 9:43:32 AM
I gave up on "fairy tales" once I grew up, just like I did "cartoons"......

Age does not make a relationship, maturity does, and that can be at any age, or with any situation, once you have arrived. If you still believe in fairy tales, then your reality is one that is bound to burst sooner or later.

Life is to short to be searching for a fairy tale, and more time should be spent on searching for your own self awareness, and self worth, and allow reality to enter your life, along with others that match it........

Just my opinion.......
 phishkev
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 11:40:35 AM
MAGIC can happen-but sometimes it's fleeting and elusive..I had a magical relationship that went to shi*t after 11+ years-WTF? Both our faults but the hurt remains...I can only...RAMBLE ON!!
 Diadora
Msg: 60
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2008 12:43:44 PM
After 30 you are more likely to know yourself. And hopefully like your self. And with that as a foundation be yourself around other people. When you are authentic, honest and real you have a much better chance at drawing a match to you that really is a match. So yes, I think the fairytale is real but you first have to be your own fairy Godmother or Godfather to yourself.
 Jakkichan
Msg: 61
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:09:49 PM
I get your point here so well...used to be I met someone, we had chemistry and just fell in love...worked out the details later, obviously not so well in the long run. But the beginnings just happened, fell magical, and I didn't or they didn't overanalyze it. Never really "dated"...just occassionally discovered a great connection with someone. A few times, I had magical, amazing beginnings and they turned into something more, for a while. I thought I was very in love, and there was all that great dreamy stuff-chemistry, incredible sex, plans for the future, and I felt on top of the world and this man was the one. Looking back, there were components of love, and lust and infatuation but I would say that other side of love that is comfortable, lasting and quiet I didn't have with any of those people. But I think you have to have that magical kind of beginning and then that grows into and morphs into something deeper and richer.

But I don't even get a beginning really anymore. I have dated several people, and there hasn't been anything that "clicks", there has only been one person I have dated where I didn't want the night to end. Out of like ten guys I have had a date or two with, only one did I have that somewhat of a natural beginning with where it felt right, where we both couldn't wait to talk to each other, where we felt like maybe we were saying too much and might scare the other off, and where we had that great physical chemistry. And you know what? After talking for months before we met, and then dating for a few weeks, after he acted even crazier about me than I did about him, he just disappeared. No explanation. Won't take my calls. Sent an email saying he has to "work some things out". Whatever that means, my point is that I think it is very hard once you have a past and ex's (don't know if that's the prob), children, and maybe some issues you've developed over the years, it seems impossible to have an organic, spontaneous, magical beginning. I went back into dating believing it could happen two years after my marriage ended, and even after many failed dates I still was hopeful and excited at the prospects of meeting someone who makes my toes curl, someone I do that for. Now, after enough dating experiences, I am quite jaded and doubtful that it happens the way we wish it would anymore...or if it does, its rare. It's just like that old saying "The more I learn, the less I know". Maybe we can regain some of the purity of the passion we once had, maybe we can put back on our rose colored glasses and fall head over heels again. Or maybe, sadly, we now know better...know too much.

But you know what...we have to keep trying...keep smiling...keep opening ourselves up...what's the alternative? Don't ever give up.......you never know.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/11/2008 10:50:26 PM

When you are authentic, honest and real you have a much better chance at drawing a match to you that really is a match. So yes, I think the fairytale is real but you first have to be your own fairy Godmother or Godfather to yourself.

That is so true. And I, too ~ believe it can happen.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/13/2008 1:53:39 AM

nope. fairytale and fantasy is hollywoods department for 1hr 30min to 3hrs then it's back to reality.

How sad. I think the "fairy tale" movies are just that. My "fairy tale" didn't have a prince, wealth, and other far-fetched silliness. It was really quite simple. A man who would like/love me because I'm me and he'd see things in me that I don't see in myself. It can happen, you just have to be willing to wait for it and you have to be open to it when it finds you.
 english lass
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/13/2008 8:20:15 PM
well, maybe the original Brothers Grimm's versions...

Spokanemike76
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:18:17 AM
I keep dreamin, I have never been maried never had a real strong relationship I jsut keep looking for mrs right and seems every step she is married so sometimes I think are all the good ones taken? I know that sounds rather Cliche but it is true.
Anyway I disagree with there not being fairytales BUT define a fairytale, is it everything is perfect all the time or is it the fact that you find someone who you connect with so well that even when you are screaming at them in hate and discust almost as soon as you have screamed you feel remorse because you hate to hurt them in any way. A relationship that grows with you and even as you get mad at your self how could you not expect to be mad at the other person? To me Fairytale is just meetign that special someone who you connect with for the rest of your life. So yes, I believe it can happen just have to keep your eyes wide and your mind open.
 Ferruginous
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/14/2008 12:42:39 PM
Maybe I'm just trying to be hopeful? But....

I think the "fairytale" is more likely after 30, for many of us.

Too many people in their 20s, or younger, hope they have found they perfect romance. Only to learn they were too quick to picka partner who, in the long run, wouldn't turn out to be too combatible with them.
Too many people in their 20s, are also still finding their place in life. Deciding who they are, what their dreams and ambitions are, finishing school, beginning careers, etc.

A person over 30 is possibly:
-more likely to be more aware of themselves,
-more aware of what they'd want in a partner,
-able to respect their partner better,
-established in a career, and more financially sound to begin a family,
-etc
 HarDayKnight
Msg: 67
Posted: 10/14/2008 2:34:57 PM

well, maybe the original Brothers Grimm's versions...

That about sums it up for me.

______________---------_______________

Happiness, joy, or "The Fairy Tale" are not things you find. They are things you work for/toward.
 WanderingRain
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2008 12:19:24 AM
It depends on your definition of fairy tale.
The simplistic, one dimensional version is what gets knocked down fast by reality. This is the version most people think they know.

But there is a deeper, more mysterious "fairy tale" happy ending that does happen to those who believe in it strongly enough.

If you believe in this second one, it will happen to you, eventually (if you aren't already living one now).

If you don't believe in it, then it won't happen to you because it doesn't exist in your world.

This deeper happiness exists only in the world of a few.

Everyone in this world has a choice to make.
Do you want to live a muggle all your life or do you want to go to Hogwarts and be a wizard?
 starpink
Msg: 69
Posted: 10/18/2008 11:20:10 AM
I hope so!! Or else what are those of us who are 30 or over have to wait for??

:-)
 valenciacityx
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/12/2009 1:02:32 AM
It was impossible the first time you heard it, and by the time you saw it from Disney it wasnt any better.

The Brothers Grimm did not believe in a Happily Ever After. You should read the original texts sometime.
 chrissyfit
Msg: 71
Posted: 11/25/2009 7:11:21 AM
i actually believe that we are prepared for our fairy tale in many different ways, and that perhaps going thru a bit of "fire" (with a variety of different partners, some more challenging than others) helps us appreciate and truly be ready for our future prince/princess. I have finally found my soul mate at age 40...lotta destructive and damaging relationships prior, bad choices, lessons learned... all in preparation for HIM. When you least expect it, the white horse shows up carrying an absolutely splendid rider!
 Westerngirl74
Msg: 72
Posted: 11/25/2009 6:13:05 PM
I think love is hard to find at any age....Impossible after 30? I don't think so, it's out there for all of us. However, after 30 most of us have a lot more responsibilities and it is hard to find the time to put into a relationship to help it grow. Also, being older we know what we are looking for and become more picky....theres nothing wrong with this in my book... if you are willing to date with an open mind and give someone a chance, even if it's not the type of guy/gal you would normally go out with. Dating can be fun, and it should be...in time you end up meeting someone special and find that special spark. I wish we all could just find it "now, in our my time frame" but life just doesn't work like that; so for now try just having fun with it.
 kpooks
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2009 8:50:35 PM
"When I was a child, I thought like a child, I spoke like a child. When I became a man I gave up childish things".

Fairytales are for children. Magic still happens for adults, at any age, even 80.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 74
Posted: 12/9/2009 12:01:37 AM
read a good one the other nite
The prince had ventured from a far away land to seek his treasure and to find a fair maiden to help rule his land. He travelled over the seven seas, and past the ten verst fields, upon which he found himself upon a golden gate. Upon the gate was the inscription, "All that enter here shall find the wealth and happiness to the end of their days" The brave prince pushed upon the gate, it did not budge. He stabbed at the lock with his sword, it did not budge. He tried to climb over its height, he could not manage the height. Finally in defeat he rest his head and fell to sleep to try again in the morrow. In his dream he lept over the fence and found the maiden of his dreams. She was a beauty that nations would launch ships and declare wars for; fitting for a crown indeed. He awok with the sound of a crowing c0k cackling to the sun rise. The Rooster spoke to him the answer of the gate. "Only the pure of heart shall enter, you must cast off all of your worldly doubt." The the bird burst into magical flames. Renewed and encouraged the prince sparked on an idea, he stripped down naked and smeared his body in morning dew from adjacent leaves... and at last he was able to slide through the bars of the gate and to champion his cause... to rescue his maiden. as he stood triumphantly, and quite naked, he crowed a thanks to the rooster. he was pierced through the heart with a bow from the house on the knoll. all that could be heard, after the dogs has quite barking.... Damn pervert, it s c0k a doodle doo, not any c0k will do

Tip your waitress, I will be here all week.
 tony02864
Msg: 75
Posted: 12/11/2009 1:56:09 PM
Yes. But it doesn't have anything to do with "after 30". Fairy tales are for children for a reason. Real relationships are real work, and each relationship is a tradeoff (let's face it, there are things about being single that are much better than being married, and vice versa). And having a preconceived notion about what a "perfect" relationship would be like is dooming yourself to failure. Just in case you think I sound bitter, I assure you I am no - I've just learned to be realistic about life and to try to see things as they really are and not just as I want them to be. The world (and relationships) seems to work much better that way.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  > Is the fairytale impossible after 30?