Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 statemachine500
Msg: 241
is it harder to date as we get older?Page 8 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

being perfectly fit when you're OLDER is much harder... you can work hard at it, have some gains, but then the gains can be lost, & once again you must struggle against nature.

IIRC,you have said that working out in the winter months is tough?Fail.You must exercise regularly.
 statemachine500
Msg: 242
is it harder to date as we get older?
Posted: 2/12/2012 6:44:49 PM

As far as being over wieght and 60, I have no trouble finding the slim blonds, but I want someone that will be real friend now. I don't want an over heavy person It don't appeal to me.

the blond trim girls like the guy with a beer belly now. I know it for a fact. See it all the time. The guy that just builds muskells is just into himself as most smart women know.

Just my two cents..

I see a lot of meds in your pic.What are they?Surely if you have no trouble finding slim blondes there must be one that suits you?

Part of working to stay fit is that you think of the other person as well bud.Women like a nice bod....doesn't mean you're completely self centered if you work out,it's better to be lean.Geez...the stereotypes.
 flyingstart
Msg: 245
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2012 8:58:55 PM
Yes its easier for men
 petevr
Msg: 246
Posted: 3/13/2012 12:24:00 PM
OF COURSE IT IS..WE ARE, AT THIS AGE ARE SO FIXED IN OUR WAYS, MOST OF US ARE UNCOMPROMISING AND THATS THE ESSENCE OF RELATIONSHIPS AND LOVE...WE ALL KNOW THAT...BUT WE CANT GIVE UP..IT SUX BEING SINGLE, IT HAS ITS ADVANTAGES FOR SURE BUT FOR ME IT SUX....GOOD LUCK EVERYONE...PETE
 KimberlyLynn64
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2012 9:52:37 AM
I think it is.Most of the guys ive met are still just looking for someone to hook up with.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 254
Posted: 3/16/2012 9:46:57 AM
...Much, much harder. I'm still here after how long? Hoping things are easier at the retirement home.

...mae
 Blue-Eyes-Shine
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 3/16/2012 10:05:44 AM
In my small community I would say it was much harder. The men that are single I KNOW why they are single.
 smilingrock
Msg: 256
Posted: 3/16/2012 2:01:01 PM
Well lets put it this way - dating at this age is like being in a used car lot. You get high milege, body damage, mechanical problems, bad exhaust and no warranty.

Buer beware!
 starlight334
Msg: 267
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2012 1:01:11 AM
Depends - if you are a women - maybe you "are done" as sexual appeal for many men so maybe you can get "discussion partners" for the news.
If you are man - its time to visit some souther states and recover for those years...when you were shown the finger - from the "beloved" potential partners of your age.
This is how I look at it. Women did not want to stick with me and make a relationship based on friendship, respect and build it up over time with patience and build up that structure which leads to something called CARE.
No what they did...always looking for ways to **** me up - deep and forever !
So - therefore I will look just for women who I am attracted to. Still !
I spent many years alone - because I did not want to brown-nose women....you know the hihihi and hahaha type of bullshit. on a daily basis ? ... and guess what if I did not do it anymore ? People thought that I am gay...this is how crazy it goes. Well I am not gay but I am not attracted to women bullshit no matter what.
So if I am old and you are old - I am looking for younger women now. I am pretty much done with my generation of women. You wanted rich guys when I was young I did not matter - no matter how much I tried or wanted, now please fell free and go and have them !. Now I am the rich - but not for you (older) and I know what to do. Maybe you earned your rights to have a date in the nursing home now.

And by the way as an older women no matter how much money you have - it does not matter for me. I am wondering why Donald Trump does not have a women of his age...any guesses ? and seems that is not even american....there ya go.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 269
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 3:51:55 PM
^^^^A former Prime Minister of Canada fathered a child when he was in his 80s with a woman in her 20s. Its all pretty normal for men to have children at any age. Nothing particularly crazy there. Its women that get out of the child bearing thinking, mainly because of the hormonal changes that happen in their mid-40s. In fact, there is a lot of commentary that menopausal women are somewhat crazier than "normal" because of the hormonal changes!

In a sense, "commitment" is a phenomenon associated with the reproductive process. Its good for both parents to bond to ensure the survival and well being of the children. Take away the children, and why does anyone need to "commit"? Its nice to be in a solid enduring relationship, yes, but with no real biological imperative left, is it really surprising that people are shy to jump in? I don't think so.......

As to women being too available, I hardly see that as being either a true reflection of life in today as opposed to any other period in history. We all reach puberty and go on the prowl for a mate. Always have, always will. I doubt making yourself less available will accomplish anything other than ensuring you remain by yourself.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 270
Posted: 3/19/2012 6:30:24 PM
...I recieved an e-mail from a 68 year old male over the weekend wanting to meet for drinks. I perused his profile and was dismayed to read that he does not date woman over the age of 53.
My response was to ask why he contacted me since I do not meet his age requirements, aren't I a little too old for him.
"Nope"....he said, "I would do just fine." WTF?
I shouldn't have carried this on I know but....the devil was sitting on my shoulder at the time so I e-mailed him back and told him I wasn't interested as I felt he was a little too old for me.
Get this......he said he was tired of woman telling him he was too old. Woman don't want to give him a chance. *Big, big sigh*

Yup...definitely harder to date as we age..lol

...mae
 mjinict
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2012 6:47:55 PM
^^^Wow, that's a sad commentary. Such a double standard, they don't think they are too old for the chickies, but they wouldn't date anyone near their age.
 rearguard*2
Msg: 273
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 5:17:24 AM
Oddly, it has always been my experience that younger women are more available than older women, especially the mentally old women. Nothing to do with my preferences, as I prefer women in my age group, but it is true that mos of them appear to have settled into a life and are very reluctant to make room for a man in their lives.

You just have to look at the social scene in the night life of the city. Its full of unattached women in the 35-50 age group, very very few older women.....I guess they have better things to do with their lives than spending time out there on the market.....
 mjinict
Msg: 278
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 2:51:48 PM
Why is that a double standard? Are you as tall as the men you date? Everyone has preferences. Age is just one of those.
-----------------------
It's a double standard because he thinks that young women should have no problem dating an old guy, but he wouldn't even date someone his own age. I guess ya can't blame a guy for tryin', just in case he has something else to offer. I personally wouldn't date an old guy.
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 279
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:00:34 PM
fail to see why people pigeon-hole themselves and others when it comes to interests. There is such an abundance of fun things to do for people of all ages. Health is really the only deterrent sometimes.

I agree. You have made some very valid points. I still enjoy many of the activities I was involved in 20 years ago. I hike, swim, camp. I love fishing, boating, attending outdoor concerts and festivals and I always bring along my trusty ole camera. So much do no matter what age you are.
I've also met many individuals who share the same interests as I do by joining meetup.com. They have a meetup group for everything. And I mean everything. I may not be dating but hey, I am meeting lots of interesting people along the way.

...mae
 rearguard*2
Msg: 280
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:16:27 PM
Native....are you hitting on me??????

Oh, my........
 smilingrock
Msg: 281
Posted: 3/22/2012 6:54:51 AM
It is not harder to get a date rather its wanting to go thru the same process over again. Plus we are more set in our ways as we grow older. Sometime you have to ask "Is it worth it?"
 Casper66
Msg: 283
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2012 8:41:50 AM
In my experience it has been harder to find men who are actually serious about a dating/relationship and not looking just for some "fun", it becomes frustrating to waste my time and found out that the person was dishonest about their true intentions. The other part is that I just have the bad luck that the men I seem the most compatible with live no where near me, but I keep trying.
 bennieboy96
Msg: 284
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 8:33:31 PM
u bet your ass it is i feel like im in highschool again just this time u cant tell the woman the same lines as then cuz they heard all the bullshit beforelol
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 285
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2012 9:45:45 PM
For me it is. Men who hold my interest either live too far away, or unavailable for other reasons. I live in an area that is conervative; people in my age group can be somewhat closeminded, and some still think that they have to speak to me S-L-O-W-L-Y because I am African-American and female.

And I am beyond the point of trying to "prove" anything to anyone......as one poster said, "is it even worth it?"
 smilingrock
Msg: 289
Posted: 3/28/2012 9:39:44 AM
"The thrill is gone" lyrics by BB King

"High milege cars backfire lyrics by Me
 LAgoodguy
Msg: 290
Posted: 3/28/2012 5:11:59 PM
I go hiking with lots of meet up groups. Been doing it for many years now. I found its always easier to talk to younger women many would walk over and talk for the lengh of the hike. When ever I started talking to women in there late 30 and 40s they never seemed intrested and would most of the time just hang around other women there age. Here its from a guy point but i noticed that most women have there idea what they would except. There is a long list of red flags as well, which you need to go past. Sorry buts its too much work just to get to know someone. Aint worth it when you can go out to dinner with a 20 something year old who actualy would ask you out. I just find that women my age have lots more wants and way too picky. Then they complain that the guys won't chase them...
 graytemplesandeyes
Msg: 291
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2012 5:13:08 PM

..I recieved an e-mail from a 68 year old male over the weekend wanting to meet for drinks. I perused his profile and was dismayed to read that he does not date woman over the age of 53.
My response was to ask why he contacted me since I do not meet his age requirements, aren't I a little too old for him.
"Nope"....he said, "I would do just fine." WTF?
I shouldn't have carried this on I know but....the devil was sitting on my shoulder at the time so I e-mailed him back and told him I wasn't interested as I felt he was a little too old for me.
Get this......he said he was tired of woman telling him he was too old. Woman don't want to give him a chance. *Big, big sigh*

I think there is a much bigger point in your post.

I see more than half the women who's profiles I read, who have a datable age range from two years older than they are to 15 or more years younger. And then they complain that they can't find anybody suitable.

I think it is a lot easier to date now. My expectations are different. My ability to interact is way better. I'm more comfortable and less nervous.

I've read a dozen times in this thread about how guys want to rush things, especially sexually. There are plenty of women with the same notions. But this is a great place to sort things out. I can tell a lot about a lady by how she interacts in a chat. How quick minded and funny she is. How considerate. If she replies 90 seconds after I've hit send, then that says a lot.

And I've learned that how a lady looks is a lot less important than her poise and confidence. If she has happy and confident eyes, then a little padding in places where it wasn't when we were younger than 30 doesn't bother me. I have a little paunch myself.

I won't date a lady bigger than me, but I'd date someone a little taller. I have before and it was great.

I'm just a lot more confident than I used to be. And I've learned that someone who doesn't find me attractive enough, or too this or that for them isn't so much about me as it's about them.

My expectations are high. But I'm a good guy, looking for a good lady. And I'm patient enough to not "settle." But for me, settling means something different.

Without a site like this, my view might be a lot different. But there are plenty of women here and only one is necessary.
 Sisab
Msg: 294
Posted: 4/17/2012 8:17:23 AM
on the other hand, perhaps a blow up doll--did you watch House last night...
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 295
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2012 8:20:17 AM
Yes...too much investment for too little return....
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >