Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pantsonfire
Msg: 3
view profile
History
ScotlandPage 2 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Would love to move up to Scotland, have many Scots friends and love the country and the people...Have a tenuous but traceable Scots heritage so think it's calling me ...
 stevencl
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 11/9/2006 8:48:37 AM
Our so called hatred of the English comes from Edward "Longshanks" I subjecting our country to a reign of terror and stealing our lands. Also your German King George murdering the highlanders and stealing their land. Cromwell's army setting fire to and pillaging most of the major Scottish towns at that time. Oh, forgot to mention the English government stealing our oil for the last 40 years. The majority of the oil fields are in recognised Scottish territorial waters. As for our new parliament building - the extra money came from restriction on our NHS, care of the elderly and other community care budgets. If you think about it our oil has been subsidising the english for the last 40 years. If you English are not happy with us Scots let us vote for independence cause the polls reckon we would get independence. Sorry I forgot that the Labour government needs our scottish M.P's to keep them in power.
 stevencl
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 11/9/2006 8:55:59 AM
If you want to know what Scots have invented got to http://www.magicdragon.com/Wallace/thingscot.html
 aquaplane
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 11/9/2006 8:57:58 AM
I love the west coast of scotland, the best sailing area in the UK, in my opinion. The weather is pretty good at spring bank and the days are very long too, majic.

I've not come across the midges, but I'm told that they are massive and all teeth ( or whatever midges have).

Outside May/June the weather can be dire.

Stereotypes and miseducation:
The Scots are bone idle drunkards who would just as soon give you a Glasgow kiss as shake you warmly by the throat.
I've not come across this, as I said it's a stereotype. I had some very pleasant evenings chatting to some locals around the Clyde/Bute area.
 stevencl
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 11/9/2006 9:30:35 AM
we don't get free parking at our hospitals, new building work i.e. clinics and health centres and new hospitals were scrapped to pay for our parliament. The fact that we have devolution is why most scots now want a referendum on independence because devolution does not work, it's just another way of labour holding on to power.
 mystery24
Msg: 36
Scotland
Posted: 11/9/2006 9:52:13 AM
I was born in England and moved to Scotland.

It is cold and wet but so are a lot of places in England.

The Scots are friendly and good company.

Ref msg 33, its not always harmless banter but for a majority it is.

Proud to be English but also proud to have spent a lot of my life in Scotland.
 murphtwin
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 1/13/2007 3:19:47 PM
I'm from Scotland, Born and Bread...

Although its cold there's something about the pure driven snow on the beach / hill tops
that really has to be experienced to understand...

I challenge anyone to go there and not enjoy themselves,
you'll find the nicest most charismatic people you have ever met.
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 1/13/2007 3:58:37 PM
For a while I dated a girl in Aberdeen and travelled from Hertfordshire (1200 mile round-trip drive, ouch) to see her regularly

At other times I've also travelled extensively in Scotland.
I only ever found the scots welcoming, straightforward and friendly. I have nothing bad to say about them as a people. Quite the inverse of the "popular image", in fact
 DeusXMachina
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 1/13/2007 5:13:30 PM
I am constantly amazed at the number of people who've never been to Scotland

Just go! from London, you can reach the Scots borders in about 5 hours at 70mph (M1-M6-A74-M74). Glasgow comes up after another hour and a half on the M74, a few hours past that and you're in the real Scotland....

the scenery off the M6 and M74 are spectacular, too.

Set off at midnight, arrive for breakfast..
 Loose_end
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Scotland
Posted: 2/2/2007 6:35:24 PM
Accent - Excellent (sexy as hell from the chicks)
People - Excellent
Banter - Excellent
Scenery - Excellent

I've no doubt that more than 50 million English pay more into the treasury than the few million Scots. And so what if they do benefit from aid such as the Barnet Formula. Scotland should be regarded as a National treasure.

I'm as proud an Englishman as you would find. And you couldnt wish for a better next door neighbour than those that speak with a Jockanese tongue.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >