Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Paddy O Furniture
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Why are some Americans so pissed at the Dixie Chicks?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I'll tell you why. Its very simple. Its because they are a Country & Western Act and C & W has always been about Apple Pie & Chevrolet. Theres no room in Nashville for anyone who goes against the C & W political mainstream.

And the fact that they are women does'nt help either. Don't underestimate the power of sexism

Can you imagine it happening with any effect against say, Eddie Vedder & Pearl Jam
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 11
Why are some Americans so pissed at the Dixie Chicks?
Posted: 11/10/2006 9:19:54 AM
It's high time the spotlight is used for something worthwhile other than just entertainment. The Dixie Chicks are merely ultilizing their opportunity to "speak out". So many of us do not have the chance to stand in front of a stadium audience and say what we think or feel. They are merely doing it for some of us.
Now, some of us may not agree.
Some of their comments may seem stupid,rude.. foolish.
Yet, some may seem to ring true right to our very core.

It's a free world. Let them speak as much as you would want to speak when on that stage.
They're big girls. I'm sure they can handle the whiplash.

..and their music aint bad either
 t-gurl
Msg: 15
Posted: 11/10/2006 1:02:43 PM
Heaven forbid an American should exercise her Constitutional right to free speech
 t-gurl
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/12/2006 7:56:10 AM

if I was in the public eye and I knew my words were going to do some bad along with good I would most definitely have enough common sense to not use my celebrity status to spout political anything

So you are saying that you would sacrifice your ethics and keep your mouth shut in order to make a buck?

I applaud the Dixie Chicks not only for speaking their mind but also for sticking to their guns and not knuckling under to public pressure in the aftermath. Yes, they lost record sales to the people who disagreed with them. Yes, the people who agreed with them probably didn't go out and buy their records if they hadn't already. So what? They were true to themselves and that's all that matters.

In the words of an Aaron Tippin (another country singer) song "You've got to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything"
 Pandy
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/13/2006 7:03:37 PM
They were playing a concert overseas and decided to bash their own president on foreign soil! I should say 'she' did as the lead singer was the one that opened her mouth. There is freedom of speech in America yes, but you don't openly bash the leader of your country in a foreign land and then expect the soldiers putting their lives on the line to not be in more danger thanks to your lack of common sense.

I'd say that foreign soil is no diffent than here.
IMO, thinking people are embarrassed about the way Americans are regarded by Europe and the rest of the world.
Personally, I LOATHE being lumped with mindless, flag-flapping jingoists who don't have the intellectual depth to actually KNOW what's going on, and who think this country is the best country in the world for no other reason than that they were born in it. The "you hate your country if you don't love Bush" mentality is appalling, and I'm glad that Europeans were given to understand that we're not all that way.

I also think that it's at the height of ignorance to come to the conclusion that any political commentary by a celebrity could in anyway endanger soldiers.

Also it might not have been taken so serious if it was before 911. Also if the country was so anti-bush and behind what Natalie Maines said, the Dixie chicks concert sales and record sales would NOT have taken such a serious nose dive!

Last I looked, they were doing pretty well. Nice rebound, huh?
Thier fanbase might have shifted to more politically aware people, but they still DO have a large fanbase.

To more closely address the original topic, I think that the balance of the American public are too lazy to even sit down and listen to the news and be aware of what IS going on with the world... It's just easier and more palatable to see the Emperer's clothes.

To those who continue to declare unpatriotic those who speak their political minds, I leave you with a quote from a former president:

To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public. Theodore Roosevelt- 1918

Pandy
Msg: 51
Posted: 11/14/2006 2:46:03 PM

Last I looked, they were doing pretty well. Nice rebound, huh?

Umm not really as I stated earlier....... Natalie Maines the lead singer in her own words said they did lose a whole lot of money.

that statement was made almost immediately after the controversy, they've had quite a while to recoup a fan base. "not ready to make nice" sold like hotcakes.
Whatever they might have lost then, they've more than recouped by now, I'm sure.

But final word for me here is .............. My only concern is putting lives at risk. I am not an American but I do have empathy for others. I do worry when a person bashes their president on foreign soil and therefore making wackos hate american people even more. And therefore putting a bigger target on the men and women who are fighting over in the middle east........ Big sigh.........

I'm astounded that anyone could seriously believe this ^^^^.
If anything "we think this guy is an idiot" would give onlookers the correct idea that Americans are individual, and all think just a little differently.

The "you hate your country if you don't love Bush" mentality is appalling, and I'm glad that Europeans were given to understand that we're not all that way.

I do believe the Europeans are smart enough to realize that by one woman having anti-bush sentiment doesn't mean they will jump like little lemmings onto that bandwagon.

I'm afraid I find this unintelligible, could you restate?
 Pandy
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/14/2006 4:43:37 PM
Taking the Long Way debuted at number one on both the U.S. pop albums chart and the U.S. country albums chart, selling 526,000 copies in the first week (the year's second-best such total for any country act) and making it a gold record within its first week...

^^^doesn't look to me as though they're having huge financial hardships.

I think the Europeans have enough brains in their heads that they won't take the words one person said and jump on the 'I hate George Bush', bandwagon.

who said anything about the British and what their opinions are? I admit to being quite confused about where this fits in to the current discussion.

My point was that I like that Europeans hear the occasional voice of dissent from Americans, so they don't think we're ALL right wing extremists.

Again I am not an American, but who voted George Bush in, the seven dwarfs, or the American people?

Because George Bush was elected does NOT mean that every American approves of him... I don't see how this is pertinent in any way to this discussion.

bucsgirl
Msg: 63
Posted: 11/15/2006 5:16:35 PM
It was an ignorant comment to make, at an inappropriate time, in an inappropriate place.
It grinds my nerve to hear all the entertainers make political comments when they're supposed to be...ENTERTAINING! You wanna go into politics, then do that, and don't subject the people who pay big bucks to see you perform to your political viewpoints. WRONG! I wish that every concertgoer would storm out and demand their money back when the entertainers use the concert venue to go on a political rant. Love to see some of these entertainers play to an empty auditorium.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 66
Posted: 11/15/2006 6:01:13 PM
rheubie " It was an ignorant comment to make, at an inappropriate time, in an inappropriate place." When someone pays to be entertained, they're there to be entertained. Simple as that. Using that venue to voice their political views is not appropriate. They can do interviews or find other means to do that.
If you hired me as a consultant, and was paying me my hourly rate and I spent that time on your dollar telling you about my political viewpoints I doubt you'd be willing to pay to listen to my opinion. It's not about them, per se, or any other entertainer per se, it's about giving people what they paid for. That was my point, simple as that.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 68
Posted: 11/15/2006 7:53:08 PM
So I'll fax you my contract agreement. Hire me as a consultant, at an obnoxious hourly rate, and be able to charge you for this innane drivel.
You pay for something you should get what you pay for, way over your head obviously. And I have paid for entertainment, and gone to concerts and expect the bang for my buck spent. And never had to deal with anything other than entertainment. Kudos to them? For what? Approval for what, they're entertainers and gave something else...I'm a professional businesswoman and when I pay money and don't get what I paid for...I know how to get my expenditures reimbursed. Never happened in all the concerts I've gone to but if it did..I would. Over your head..I'd ask for an address to send the bill to for wasting my time, but you couldn't afford me. I bill on the quater hour and have a minimum. Case closed.
 t-gurl
Msg: 70
Posted: 11/15/2006 10:30:35 PM
{quote]You pay for something you should get what you pay for

What did ther concert-goers NOT get? They paid a single fee, not an hourly rate (exorbitant or otherwise) In any concert, there's always a bit of chatter between songs. These six words were different from the normal chatter how? They were political. They didn't do any fewer songs because of it.

If I paid you a lump sum as a consultant, it makes no difference cost wise to me whether you spend an hour on a political rant so long as you do the job you were paid to do.

So the fans paid for a ticket, heard all the songs that they were supposed to, and heard one sentence among the normal between song chatter that was political in nature. Sorry, but your argument falls flat.
 lovableladywanted
Msg: 79
Posted: 5/27/2007 7:02:54 PM
I think the Dixie Chicks have every right to speak their minds. Most people agree with them now anyway so its a non issue
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 88
Posted: 6/3/2007 2:58:00 PM

I just wanted to understand why a person would say what she said to a total anti-Bush audiance instead of an American audiance where there would have been some of each, anti and pro Bush present.

Do you think it might have had something to do with the fact that they were performing in Britain when the invasion started? A concert tour planned months in advance before anybody thought Bush would really be nuts enough to invade Iraq.

And it became a free speech issue because of the reaction. Corporate radio pulled them from rotation because of their political views. Even years later when they had the number one selling album in the country (across all genres) the same corporation wouldn't play their hit single. That's censorship. If you want to have freedom of political expression you have to be a right winger like Toby Keith, otherwise we'll block your audience's access to hear you.
 designingwoman
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2007 10:36:05 AM
I LOVE the Dixie Chicks--they rock! I love them for having the courage to stand up against Bush and its minions.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >