Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 AwP
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Do you believe in this saying? Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

The saying I have heard is, "You can look at the menu, but you gotta eat at home!"

This is how I've always heard it too. I think it's ok to look at the menu, but not to get an appitizer or a drink before you go eat at home. Looking but no flirting.
 carissima
Msg: 36
Do you believe in this saying?
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:53:57 AM
We are all tempted in this life. Tempted by many different things, but it's the strength, respect and reserve you show yourself against the temptation that illustrates the Man/Woman you are.
 Ron9
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/25/2007 7:05:03 PM
Oh I so miss meatloaf.

<<< will trade sex for meatloaf.
 JoeSentMe
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2007 11:08:30 PM
If you need to, “wet your appetite” somewhere else, you better just eat there too, cause while your salivating over your *appetizer* your *dinners gonna get COLD. ;)
 baycitymom
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/26/2007 8:08:34 AM
I do...just because your on a diet doesn't mean that you can't look at the menu, right? I think that just because your in a relationship it doesn't mean that you can't look. As long as it stops there.
 Shamrock14
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2007 6:25:06 PM
Indeed I do. If you want to be with someone else then you end your current relationship before you start your new one. I hate people who play games with other peoples mind and affections..cheating is the cowards way and does nothing but injure innocent parties..usually the kids if there are any. I hate liars and cheats with a passion and believe they are just weak willed people with no balls or consideration for others. And before you ask I am not aware that any of my partners cheated on me so I dont hve any personal experience of being cheated on, it is just my own opinion.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 70
Posted: 3/6/2007 7:48:25 PM
Anything you do that your partner doesn't know about that you wouldn't do if they were there and KNEW about it....that's cheating as far as I'm concerned.
I have respect for myself, my relationship and my man, so there's no temptation for anything with any other man. I have male friends, I interact with other men at work, and out socially. I'm not locked in a basement, we all encounter in our daily lives people of the opposite sex and they're not poison, no need to try to avoid them. I don't expect my partner to try to avoid interacting with other females, either or get rid of his female friends. It's a matter of priorities and knowing where your heart and mind are.
Temptation is only a problem when you're not secure in what you have.
 bucsgirl
Msg: 74
Posted: 3/6/2007 8:01:14 PM
Well DUH...smack me in the forehead and call me stupid. I just now checked the OP's profile. He's single....geez, I feel so USED! He's not in a relationship...if he's eating at home, it's more than likely a frozen dinner or take-out. *hits self with the dumb stick*...UGH!
 jj256
Msg: 75
Posted: 3/6/2007 8:17:05 PM
I think it goes like this..."Doesn't hurt to read the menu....as long as you always eat at home"
 PickyProfessional
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/11/2007 12:57:37 PM
i won't even put up with a guy who "looks." if he's with me, i'd better be the end-all-and-be-all in his mind...and he had better be that in my mind. if not there's no point in continuing. why settle for a half-baked relationship?

in addition, it's HIGHLY insulting. if i'm not the best in his eyes, then buzz off. same here. i will not date someone if i feel a compulsion to check out other men. if i'm gawking at other men, it means only one thing: i don't see the guy i'm with as the best. so, no point in dating him. it wouldn't be satisfying to me and it wouldn't be fair to him.
 Brass Monkey
Msg: 81
Posted: 3/11/2007 8:45:20 PM
But, isn't "flirting" misinterpreted by people?

Case in point, if you're in the service industry, what some people consider "flirting" often leads to good tips.
 Cynderella
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2007 11:44:07 PM
It's just a step away from cheating...
I don't like cheaters...nope!
 prolibertate
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/12/2007 11:32:13 AM
OP, no I don't believe in that saying...I do believe in tempting my man enough at home so that anyone else's feeble attempts won't even make a dent ;) There's a huge difference between being friendly and being flirty when you're in a relationship and/or marriage; and sometimes that line can get crossed even when one had no intentions of crossing it...If one is happy at home, there's no need to tempt their appetite anywhere else.
 c_yprus
Msg: 98
Posted: 3/13/2007 10:32:57 PM
if you are always tempting your appetite , sooner or later you will give in to temptation.
 jj256
Msg: 102
Posted: 10/12/2012 12:27:05 PM
Heard it this way "Don't hurt to read the menu..... but always eat at home"
 KingofSnuggles
Msg: 103
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2012 2:19:32 PM
Its really unavoidable to look/see, unless you want to come off as some kind derranged person in your attempt to NOT see anything.

Do I want a partner intentionally gawking or making an effort to look, of course not, but otherwise its gonna happen so I guess I'm in the "Yes" column
 gtomustang
Msg: 104
Posted: 10/12/2012 2:51:06 PM
If you're grown up, mature...then you can feel alive by enjoying life, yet keeping your clothes on the whole entire time.

I work w/ married women, there's compliments, touches on the shoulder, humaness...but none of it's gonna lead to cheating. You know the old expression, "office husband" or "office wife"? the person who knows you enough to make decisions when you are out to lunch, who watches your back...yet there won't be any hanky panky in the broom closet. I work w/ married men who "look", and share notes, b/c it makes the day go by quicker--and frankly it builds cameraderie as well as going into the mountains and catching each others' falls.

of course, if your partner isn't grown up, isn;t mature about their temptations, if you see they have poor impulse control but a great ability to rationalize why selfish behavior is ok *this one time* when it comes to food and money and borrowing items, then...yeah, you should consider that other great Texas saying, "dance w/ the one what brung ya."

some people can handle minor things (one drink doesn't need to lead to alcoholism, unless the alcoholic needs the "solution" being drunk offers to their problems), others just can't. If you know the difference, then its easy to find it in other people, too.
 victorianist
Msg: 108
Posted: 4/1/2013 9:35:37 PM
Be patient. You'll outgrow such adolescent nonsense.
 midnight_excitment12
Msg: 111
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2013 3:56:45 AM
when one says
Just cause I'm married doesn't mean i can't look at the menu just can't order.
I'm taken not dead

Really when you say it out loud they sound like excuses. When ever I make an excuse its usually cause I feel guilty. So eventually it becomes habit forming and soon you be making excuses to rent a room at the strip joint.

Now, if open about it then I don't see a problem. Some of my best friends and their spouses find it entertaining. They crack jokes about it together, but their comfortable about it. Oh, and sometimes the things they say its almost therapeutic to them like they get their urges out by saying it in a joke next thing the joke becomes something new they wanna do together. I have never laugh so hard sitting in a park with.

But in the context of the statement no i don't agree with it. If I have to go out to a bar to come home horny. Ya might think their is a problem, I'm not gonna say leave the relationship. However, you should probably look at the reasons you look else where. Be it you sex life needs beefing up, or your spouse does physically. Perhaps, mentally you seek attention that has faded. Either way look to the reasons first before you look for a reason out.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2013 4:44:38 AM
Nope because a person can never be sure that they are going to be able to not give in to temptation. My ex agreed with the saying and that is why he is now my ex.

It's one thing to look as someone walks by. It's a whole other thing to GO looking.
 MrMeSir
Msg: 113
Posted: 4/2/2013 4:50:45 AM
No, having a fantasy about being with another man/woman is wrong, i don't have fantasies about being with another woman while in a relationship, perhaps a nameless faceless one, but never an actual one who exists.

I would never in a million years put up with a woman who had a crush on someone else.
 whippedboi
Msg: 119
Posted: 4/2/2013 11:30:04 AM
I prefer to eat at the "Y"
 MrMeSir
Msg: 123
Posted: 4/2/2013 9:38:27 PM

So the 'made up' variety type is just FINE and DANDY to fantasize about...but a real one is just out of the question...LOL!!! Just remember...when making up your fantasy girls...DON'T FORGET TO HOOK UP THE DOLL!!!!!!! ;)

Of ourse it is fine and dandy, we're sexual beings and crave sex as people,, thinking bout posible scenarios or positions is healthy and good....
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >