Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Stevie Wonder what happened??????      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DJMac
Msg: 1
view profile
History
Stevie Wonder what happened??????Page 3 of 2    (1, 2)
This is a discussion that has come up with me and my music friends. It seems to us that Stevie Wonder was at a point where he was making some outstading music all through the 60's and into the 70's when he started playing all the instruments himself. Then in the 80's he got soft and medicore and his music went so far down after being so up. Anyone else feel that way??
 AnnudderVoice
Msg: 2
Stevie Wonder what happened??????
Posted: 11/11/2006 3:16:27 PM
Maybe he was just a multi-hit Wonder?

Annudder
 DJMac
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2006 1:01:28 PM
To me his stuff from the 80's just lacked something. Like "I Just Called To Say I Love You" and "Part Time Lover" a little too sappy for my tastes but thats just me.
 cougar99
Msg: 4
Posted: 11/16/2006 4:52:33 AM
I can't recall any funk songs by Stevie, I mean when you talk of funk you talk of Bootsy Collins, Maceo and Parliment with George Clinton.
What happened to Stevie, he grew as a musician, I am hoping he will write another song for Jeff Beck.
 Ratero-park-man
Msg: 5
Posted: 11/16/2006 8:49:34 PM
Guitarman100

Drugs and $$$$?? Give me a break. Stevie is a legioned, and DJMac , Those two songs you mentioned above "I just called to say I love you" and "Part Time Lover" are GREAT hits. Especially the latter (in my opinion and personal taste)
 jettlightning
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2007 3:43:13 PM
It is believed that he received excessive oxygen in his incubator which led to retinopathy of prematurity, a destructive ocular disorder affecting the retina, characterized by abnormal growth of blood vessels, scarring and sometimes retinal detachment.
 DJMac
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2007 2:14:57 PM
No Innvervisions is way better than Songs In The Key of Life for my money.
 DJMac
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2007 8:30:49 AM
Dont forget Stevie's 60's stuff too. If you can find it the Uptight LP has some solid tracks on it. For Once In My Life LP is good too, "I'd Be A Fool Right Now" should have been a hit.
Posted: 6/29/2008 6:47:19 AM
Lots of modern musical artistes have a purple period when they're at their most creative and producing the best work. For my money it's the 1970's in Stevies' case. His music was astonishing at the time and still highly listenable today. Talking Book and Innervisions in particular will always rank high in my affections.

The list of artists whose recent work doesn't hold a candle to their early stuff is a long one. In Stevies' case I can forgive him 'cause his best stuff was so good.

I find it interesting what Cinnamon Girl says about Jeff Beck in msg 21 about how he still has the spark. Jeff contributed a nice solo to Stevies' Looking For Another Pure Love on Talking Book and Stevie gifted Jeff the song, Cause We've Ended As Lovers for his Blow By Blow album. Needless to say, the song is brilliant, as is Jeffs' performance of it. I'd be perfectly happy to have the talent to write that one song, never mind Stevies' impressive back catalogue.
 Thatguy67
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2008 2:15:44 PM
I heard he's working on a couple of projects including a possible jazz album and gospel album.

yeahwhatok33
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/1/2009 11:32:37 AM
I may be wrong but I think that the OP's problem with Stevie Wonder's music is that he abandoned alot of the social songs and political commentary during the 80's. His music was still good but there wasn't a "Misstra Know It All" or "Living For The City." While I enjoy his love songs in the 80's I would still rather hear "Golden Lady" or "If You Really Love Me."
 catalyst needed
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 1/3/2009 2:06:43 PM
stevie is genius.ok he watered down a bit in the 80,s.but that was just natural progression,that doesnt change the fact he is a musical genius.You cant be what everybody wants you to be all the time.As for no good music in the 80,s are you kidding what about xtc,squeeze,gary numan,devo,dead kennedys, black flag,bad brains,iron maiden,judas priest,ac/dc,van halen,public enemy,fishbone,butthole surfers,the clash,max webster,rush,the specials,the english beat,the cramps,beastie boys,blondie,boomtown rats,kate bush,the cars,elvis costello,peter gabriel,talking heads,the police,prince,u2. just to name a few yes some of these started in the 70,s but maintained being at the forefront of the music scene through the 80,s and were cutting edge pioneers
 Fifi47
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/15/2009 12:59:46 PM
I will always like to hear Ribbons In The Sky, even if I never learn to play it on the piano.
 rickxyz
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/15/2009 4:16:38 PM
The fact you are still talking about Stevie shows nothing has happened! Show me an artist thats been around 40 years, that didn't make changes to survive the buisiness....
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > Stevie Wonder what happened??????