Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Flipper Jones
Msg: 272
I still love you but I am not in love with you.....Page 14 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Your ex boyfriend is obviously to embarassed to tell you he's gay. ;^)

Seriously, this is the biggest cop out line I've ever heard. You either love somone or you don't. If you do you stick it out and make it work.

I think you should kick this guy square in the nutz.

keep your chin up,

flip
 fun-in-the-sun64
Msg: 273
view profile
History
I still love you but I am not in love with you.....
Posted: 8/17/2007 9:28:16 AM
seems like there's primarily two schools of thought in this thread:

one that having loved someone it's possible and likely to continue to love them even after you're not passionate (for lack of a better word)about them anymore. This totally makes sense to me. I'm certain that I still have love for my ex wife and yet I'm equally certain I don't want to be in a romantic relationship with her ever again.

the second school of thought being this is a cop out designed to let you down easy and or maintain some connection to you while really moving on. I can see the logic and high probability that this also happens and that sometimes it's this reason that someone is saying they love you but aren't in love with you.

Bottom line: in both cases it's over. You're better off to move on and either cut the ties or let some level of friendship come from what you previously shared but not focus on it. As longas you accept it's over it doesn't much matter which of the above reasons your ex had for saying that to you. If you want to hold onto some of the good feelings you can assume its the former and if you want to get angry because you think you need that to move then you can assume it's the latter, eitheway it's up to you to accept that it's over.
 anyuser82
Msg: 279
Posted: 8/24/2007 2:13:04 AM
I think when ending a long term realtionship it is either because: you have actually begun to hate your SO, or, you have simply lost the passion to the extent that the routine has become a burden.

In the latter case you may well still hold the person very dear. Love is not an emotion it's a level of committment. You may be more willing to sacrifice on their behalf than anyone else in your life. What is that but love? To say, "I love you, but I do not see a lifelong committed relationship coming from this" is perfectly understandable.

Of course, this does not preclude the fact that it is often BS.
 NatGoat
Msg: 285
Posted: 8/30/2007 12:33:59 AM
Yeah . . well . .
That's what happened to my 1st marriage . .
I became a piece of Furniture . .
I was comfortable for her to have around . . mostly for my Paycheck . .
then as her - Once-a-month Toy -. .
No Wonder I Fell-in-Love with someone else . . !!!
 Dany1180
Msg: 292
view profile
History
Posted: 8/30/2007 9:25:03 PM
Well... I've used this line on 2 occasions and it makes perfect sense.

All it says is that the romance and passion that kept the relationship strong has fizzled and died (or that you never had them to begin with) but that you still care for them.

To OP: No, it's not a line meant to keep you 'attached'. You're free to do as you like. Although I sympathize with you, you're contradicting yourself when, on the one hand, you say he means to keep you attached but, on the other hand, you complain that he acts cold with you.
 dani143831
Msg: 295
Posted: 11/10/2007 7:01:48 AM
that line has been used many times and as someone else said its hard to be friends with exs since well your other friends decided to date them bc well you guys are just friends ... cut ties hes not worth it !!!
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >