Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forumfella
Msg: 2617
Has anyone been brave enough to meet someone with no pic at all?Page 81 of 86    (46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86)
Twice, never again
 LuvFishes
Msg: 2618
Has anyone been brave enough to meet someone with no pic at all?
Posted: 12/26/2013 2:54:53 AM
LOL I am tech challenged and so did not have a pic to present on my profile almost 2 yrs... On date two a jerk took my thumb drive thingy?

After meeting me my dates didn't want my pic on net to better their opportunity of dating me without competition. There was even a line where I asked "Were they brave enough to meet without a picture or just even willing to help me up load one."

Long story short, I met some the greatest guys who took a chance. Because they couldn't see a pic I was very detailed in my profile. Though many people are visual seekers it takes a special person to go on leap of faith. I also tried to view their profile by the content of profile, email and ph. conversations rather looking at pic. It can work LOL besides pics can be totally deceiving.
 margareta08
Msg: 2619
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:44:51 PM
briteeyess

You are gorgeous and seem intelligent and I do wonder why you put yourself at risk with letting a stranger into your home and then your best friend had to come and rescue you. You were potentially putting both of you in danger. I hope you dont tell anyone your full name when you meet and do it in daylight?? ALso dont ever get into a man's car and leave yourself vulnerable and under his control. No matter how nice they seem. I am amazed at the risks women take.
 margareta08
Msg: 2620
Posted: 3/7/2014 5:47:20 PM
Too many choices for women to have to settle for a guy who wont put up a pic. Emailing them later is not a good idea because then he has your addy and after all it is looks that count up front when you are dating and it is not shallow.
If I were to show my pic the guy would have to do the same. There are other sites where you can unlock private pics once the contact has been made and that is fine. However red flag for me when a guy wont show his face upfront.
 hanna236
Msg: 2621
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2014 9:16:40 PM
I would like to meet such a man. for me it was the opposite, I refuse to give a pic to a man simply because I refuse to be LIKED BECAUSE of my looks. he was pleasantly surprised on both my personality and physical appearance.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 2622
Posted: 4/21/2014 12:03:53 PM

However red flag for me when a guy wont show his face upfront.

Yes, it is a "red flag" for you precisely because you MAKE it a "red flag", rather than looking at the bigger picture. No one is a better human being just because they have a picture on some dating website.

Emailing them later is not a good idea because then he has your addy

And you have his, so you're even.

Too many choices for women to have to settle for a guy who wont put up a pic.

Quantity, perhaps, but not necessarily quality.
 OffsideOstritch
Msg: 2623
Posted: 4/24/2014 10:00:38 AM
Hi,

Well, I did and I have to say it was one of the most pleasant experiences I've had. I met her on here, (under an old account) and neither of us had pictures up. We chatted a bit and then exchanged emails. Of course, they were both 'burner' email accounts so that we still didn't know each other's names. After a few weeks of emails she gave me her number and we talked and decided to meet for a coffee. She asked me if I wanted a picture but it really didn't matter to me, I really liked how she came off through her emails and on the phone. I said 'why not just surprise each other?' so we just gave a description of our coats and, since it was around Rememberance Day, I told her that I'd be wearing a poppy on my coat. My friend thought I was absolutely insane. When I walked into the book store/coffee shop we immediately knew each other and I was quite happy with how she looked. However, I feel bad now because I'm certainly not the best looking guy and I suppose she was risking more than I was. We went on a few dates but that 'something' just wasn't there so we moved on. We still keep in contact, though, I consider her to be a good friend.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 2624
Posted: 4/24/2014 2:32:23 PM

Posted by OP:
"Has anyone been brave enough to meet someone with no pic at all?"

Yes...have done this on two occasions and was VERY pleasantly surprised both times.
One woman turned out to be a geographical challenge and we just drifted apart.
The second one I dated a half-dozen times and she wanted a man more focused on marriage.
Both of them were intelligent, witty, clever, and stunningly beautiful. If ever dating again...I'll do it again in a heartbeat.
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 2625
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 4:32:59 AM
Slightly off topic, Why are some allowed to post here with obscure or even no pics and yet I have a warning that my account would be closed or made inoperative because of a blurred image, not having my face clearly shown, a pic of an animal for instance or when I opted for no pic?? There is one guy with several pics on his profile and you have no idea how he looks, because of bad lighting or hair all over his face. Is there something I am not understanding??
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2626
Posted: 3/29/2015 10:14:11 AM
At least with several pics one could get pieces put together -- especially if it showed the whole body. Your pic is face-only and Super Low Resolution. Yes, there will be other people out there with bad pics who aren't warned. Usually it comes from Other people or some moderator of some sort who happened upon yours. It doesn't mean yours should be OK because others get away with it. :)

Put up a better pic, or no pic at all would be the obvious move. :)
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 2627
view profile
History
Posted: 3/29/2015 11:27:13 PM
Okay Norwegian guy
If I take off the pic and hopefully I wont be warned about no image. I am just here for the forums after all.
I know the messages from Markus are automated and that the scanner of the pics must be as well. Only thing that makes sense when I see how bad the quality of the pics are on here, often.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2628
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:09:02 AM

If I take off the pic and hopefully I wont be warned about no image.

Nobody gets warned about having no image. It's when their primary photo is too blurred/unclear, not showing a face, or it's not a person (like a picture of a cat instead). Having no picture does not and never has brought any issues.

Only thing that makes sense when I see how bad the quality of the pics are on here, often.

Yeah, plenty of people can get away with it. It's when someone tells on the other person, that bad things happen. Now, I'm not on here for dating, and I understand the forums can be best to put a face with the name. One thing you can do is scan or take a picture off a cell phone of yourself -- and upload it into the system. It's pretty easy to do nowadays.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 2629
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:35:32 AM

Having no picture does not and never has brought any issues.

Well, not with the site anyway.

Inside-the-box thinking members, well, that's a whole other story.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2630
Posted: 3/30/2015 12:57:27 PM
There is one online whom I would, but, I've been reading his forums for months now, finally messaged him on how great one was and then.....nothing. I got thanked, the old e-pat on the head, and that was it.

Whatevah.
 waverunningeek
Msg: 2631
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:19:25 PM
In 2015? Hell-to-the-NO. There's nothing romantic about playing date roulette. No pic = something bad.

I was just curious to know if anyone else had ever met anyone without ever seeing a picture and how it turned out??
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 2632
Posted: 3/31/2015 2:32:01 AM
Yeah, in 2015, no more excuses.

I did meet someone from AOL back in 1997 who had no picture, but she had seen mine. She was from Boston, and we communicated for months. She eventually had to come to my area on business, and we met.

I walked out to the pool area of her hotel....that's where she told me to meet her. There were quite a few people out there, and I saw an absolutely stunning brunette. I said to myself "well, there's NO WAY that's her." Seconds later, that woman called my name.

I about pissed myself.
 POF_and_Destiny
Msg: 2633
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:46:49 AM
On the original question of this now 111 page length forum post...

I have met with several gals who have not posted a picture, and I have not posted mine. None have been disastrous in any way, shape or form. Not that any have come to a long term thing either - but attraction is another topic for another day.

When it comes to meeting someone - with or without a picture posted, it boils down to taking a chance on a possible attraction - given that is the intention of being here on an online dating site. Given that premise the adage 'one has nothing to fear except fear itself' comes to mind. You and I will not know if there is any 'attraction' (some call it chemistry) until the two people meet in real life. While it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words, there is much, much more to attraction than simply appearance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The concept of the word 'bravery' used here is misapplied. One needs to be prudent when it comes to a first meet and greet. It does not take being brave in any way, shape or form. One is NOT courageous when one goes to a coffee shop, meets someone for the first time, and walks away from this encounter. So many words are misused or misapplied these days. And education is supposed to be getting better all the time.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2634
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:51:36 PM

There is one online whom I would, but, I've been reading his forums for months now, finally messaged him on how great one was and then.....nothing. I got thanked, the old e-pat on the head, and that was it.

Yeah, but... unless by some small chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? What would you expect -- a dinner date? :)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2635
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:25:47 PM

Yeah, but... unless by some small chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? What would you expect -- a dinner date? :)

@norwegianguy

...??... I said nothing in that post where he was located ...??....

Had he asked, yes of course I would have had dinner with him--or a coffee meet and greet, whatever.
 steveinct
Msg: 2636
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 7:49:08 PM
I have been brave enough to meet women without pictures. I have a saying... its all part of the adventure. My experiences meeting women without pictures were about the same as when they had pictures.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2637
Posted: 4/21/2015 10:22:41 PM

Had he asked, yes of course I would have had dinner with him--or a coffee meet and greet, whatever.

I know you didn't -- which corresponds to my reply.

I said unless by Some Small Chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? The chances of a stranger in the regular forums living in one's area is Very Small. Unless you go within your state/province, then it's not nearly as small -- but the posts are, so that % diminishes.

If you Did say where he was located, being near you, Then I would have understood. :)

I was making fun of the concept of people asking someone out on a date who lived Far Away.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2638
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:39:21 PM

I know you didn't -- which corresponds to my reply.

I said unless by Some Small Chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? The chances of a stranger in the regular forums living in one's area is Very Small. Unless you go within your state/province, then it's not nearly as small -- but the posts are, so that % diminishes.

No idea why/how you came up with that little nugget in this topic, but, it's a moot point anyways. He did send me a picture and he is effing beautiful...dayum. dayum. dayum.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2639
Posted: 4/28/2015 12:11:45 AM

No idea why/how you came up with that little nugget in this topic, but, it's a moot point anyways. He did send me a picture and he is effing beautiful...dayum. dayum. dayum.

Was he one of the rare users who lived within your area? Not mentioning the distance assumes that they live far away, when talking about the forums. Hence, if there's no mention of (the rare) short distance, then comes my obnoxious "What did you expect? Who picks up people on the forums anyway??" line. :)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2640
Posted: 4/28/2015 3:04:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrap your mind around this:

Nope, not super local, but not far away either, and why are you asking ? Seriously, are you so bored in RT that you have to pick apart another person/people in PoF forums?

Distance does not matter, I am in a profession that I can pick up and go anywhere in the US and pretty much write my own ticket due to experience and education. If I want to live somewhere else, I easily can. I am actually looking for a different place to eventually retire.

I don't "pick up" anyone--that was crude, disgusting and not appropriate.

There is NO better way on this website to see how another person's mind works than in forums, and that, to some of us, is the most attractive aspect of an intelligent person. (Unless you actually buy into Markus' touted and laughable "psychological tests" that he can not or will not identify the authors or the authors' research group--I asked a year ago).
 SLAFFA
Msg: 2641
Posted: 4/29/2015 5:14:48 PM
Yup, probably 2 or maybe 3 as best as I can recall back over 5 years ago when I was much more "active".

And I met at least a couple of ladies w/o a phone call AND/or pics. Likely on THE day we exchanged an email or two.

Based on the QUALITY of her profile and the fact that we were a very good match and she liked MY profile and pics enough to send me an initial email.

And not that it matters one bit, none of these ladies were "hungry bottom feeders" in any way, shape or form. In fact, I feel most men would likely rate any of them at least a 7 if not higher on their "attractiveness". They simply CHOSE to participate W/O pics posted.

It's too bad that so few can figure out the age or picture thing...

So many will whine endlessly in thread after thread that so many folks they met were using UNrepresentative pics of themselves and 2 minutes later post in another thread that they can type for hours, weeks , months or years BEFORE meeting people.

There is nothing complicated about OLD.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >