Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LetitiaLeGrande
Msg: 2627
view profile
History
Has anyone been brave enough to meet someone with no pic at all?Page 82 of 87    (47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87)
Okay Norwegian guy
If I take off the pic and hopefully I wont be warned about no image. I am just here for the forums after all.
I know the messages from Markus are automated and that the scanner of the pics must be as well. Only thing that makes sense when I see how bad the quality of the pics are on here, often.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2628
Has anyone been brave enough to meet someone with no pic at all?
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:09:02 AM

If I take off the pic and hopefully I wont be warned about no image.

Nobody gets warned about having no image. It's when their primary photo is too blurred/unclear, not showing a face, or it's not a person (like a picture of a cat instead). Having no picture does not and never has brought any issues.

Only thing that makes sense when I see how bad the quality of the pics are on here, often.

Yeah, plenty of people can get away with it. It's when someone tells on the other person, that bad things happen. Now, I'm not on here for dating, and I understand the forums can be best to put a face with the name. One thing you can do is scan or take a picture off a cell phone of yourself -- and upload it into the system. It's pretty easy to do nowadays.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 2629
Posted: 3/30/2015 10:35:32 AM

Having no picture does not and never has brought any issues.

Well, not with the site anyway.

Inside-the-box thinking members, well, that's a whole other story.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2630
Posted: 3/30/2015 12:57:27 PM
There is one online whom I would, but, I've been reading his forums for months now, finally messaged him on how great one was and then.....nothing. I got thanked, the old e-pat on the head, and that was it.

Whatevah.
 waverunningeek
Msg: 2631
Posted: 3/30/2015 9:19:25 PM
In 2015? Hell-to-the-NO. There's nothing romantic about playing date roulette. No pic = something bad.

I was just curious to know if anyone else had ever met anyone without ever seeing a picture and how it turned out??
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 2632
Posted: 3/31/2015 2:32:01 AM
Yeah, in 2015, no more excuses.

I did meet someone from AOL back in 1997 who had no picture, but she had seen mine. She was from Boston, and we communicated for months. She eventually had to come to my area on business, and we met.

I walked out to the pool area of her hotel....that's where she told me to meet her. There were quite a few people out there, and I saw an absolutely stunning brunette. I said to myself "well, there's NO WAY that's her." Seconds later, that woman called my name.

I about pissed myself.
 POF_and_Destiny
Msg: 2633
Posted: 3/31/2015 9:46:49 AM
On the original question of this now 111 page length forum post...

I have met with several gals who have not posted a picture, and I have not posted mine. None have been disastrous in any way, shape or form. Not that any have come to a long term thing either - but attraction is another topic for another day.

When it comes to meeting someone - with or without a picture posted, it boils down to taking a chance on a possible attraction - given that is the intention of being here on an online dating site. Given that premise the adage 'one has nothing to fear except fear itself' comes to mind. You and I will not know if there is any 'attraction' (some call it chemistry) until the two people meet in real life. While it is true that a picture is worth a thousand words, there is much, much more to attraction than simply appearance.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The concept of the word 'bravery' used here is misapplied. One needs to be prudent when it comes to a first meet and greet. It does not take being brave in any way, shape or form. One is NOT courageous when one goes to a coffee shop, meets someone for the first time, and walks away from this encounter. So many words are misused or misapplied these days. And education is supposed to be getting better all the time.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2634
Posted: 3/31/2015 12:51:36 PM

There is one online whom I would, but, I've been reading his forums for months now, finally messaged him on how great one was and then.....nothing. I got thanked, the old e-pat on the head, and that was it.

Yeah, but... unless by some small chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? What would you expect -- a dinner date? :)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2635
Posted: 4/1/2015 10:25:47 PM

Yeah, but... unless by some small chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? What would you expect -- a dinner date? :)

@norwegianguy

...??... I said nothing in that post where he was located ...??....

Had he asked, yes of course I would have had dinner with him--or a coffee meet and greet, whatever.
 steveinct
Msg: 2636
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2015 7:49:08 PM
I have been brave enough to meet women without pictures. I have a saying... its all part of the adventure. My experiences meeting women without pictures were about the same as when they had pictures.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2637
Posted: 4/21/2015 10:22:41 PM

Had he asked, yes of course I would have had dinner with him--or a coffee meet and greet, whatever.

I know you didn't -- which corresponds to my reply.

I said unless by Some Small Chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? The chances of a stranger in the regular forums living in one's area is Very Small. Unless you go within your state/province, then it's not nearly as small -- but the posts are, so that % diminishes.

If you Did say where he was located, being near you, Then I would have understood. :)

I was making fun of the concept of people asking someone out on a date who lived Far Away.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2638
Posted: 4/25/2015 10:39:21 PM

I know you didn't -- which corresponds to my reply.

I said unless by Some Small Chance he happened to be in your area -- who picks people up from the forums living eons away? The chances of a stranger in the regular forums living in one's area is Very Small. Unless you go within your state/province, then it's not nearly as small -- but the posts are, so that % diminishes.

No idea why/how you came up with that little nugget in this topic, but, it's a moot point anyways. He did send me a picture and he is effing beautiful...dayum. dayum. dayum.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2639
Posted: 4/28/2015 12:11:45 AM

No idea why/how you came up with that little nugget in this topic, but, it's a moot point anyways. He did send me a picture and he is effing beautiful...dayum. dayum. dayum.

Was he one of the rare users who lived within your area? Not mentioning the distance assumes that they live far away, when talking about the forums. Hence, if there's no mention of (the rare) short distance, then comes my obnoxious "What did you expect? Who picks up people on the forums anyway??" line. :)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2640
Posted: 4/28/2015 3:04:36 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Wrap your mind around this:

Nope, not super local, but not far away either, and why are you asking ? Seriously, are you so bored in RT that you have to pick apart another person/people in PoF forums?

Distance does not matter, I am in a profession that I can pick up and go anywhere in the US and pretty much write my own ticket due to experience and education. If I want to live somewhere else, I easily can. I am actually looking for a different place to eventually retire.

I don't "pick up" anyone--that was crude, disgusting and not appropriate.

There is NO better way on this website to see how another person's mind works than in forums, and that, to some of us, is the most attractive aspect of an intelligent person. (Unless you actually buy into Markus' touted and laughable "psychological tests" that he can not or will not identify the authors or the authors' research group--I asked a year ago).
 SLAFFA
Msg: 2641
Posted: 4/29/2015 5:14:48 PM
Yup, probably 2 or maybe 3 as best as I can recall back over 5 years ago when I was much more "active".

And I met at least a couple of ladies w/o a phone call AND/or pics. Likely on THE day we exchanged an email or two.

Based on the QUALITY of her profile and the fact that we were a very good match and she liked MY profile and pics enough to send me an initial email.

And not that it matters one bit, none of these ladies were "hungry bottom feeders" in any way, shape or form. In fact, I feel most men would likely rate any of them at least a 7 if not higher on their "attractiveness". They simply CHOSE to participate W/O pics posted.

It's too bad that so few can figure out the age or picture thing...

So many will whine endlessly in thread after thread that so many folks they met were using UNrepresentative pics of themselves and 2 minutes later post in another thread that they can type for hours, weeks , months or years BEFORE meeting people.

There is nothing complicated about OLD.
 gfe0787
Msg: 2642
Posted: 4/29/2015 5:58:53 PM
Personally, I haven't met anyone without a pic. It seems very interesting because of the mystery to know who is behind the username and meet them in person. However, it seems a bit off because I wonder why they don't post their pic...Is it merely because of a job, or because they are married? Then again, people with pictures also deceive in different ways.
I think it just comes down to comfort...if you feel comfortable with the person, then meet them with or without pics ...obviously with safety precautions- public place, meet them there, etc.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2643
Posted: 5/3/2015 1:59:36 PM
I can tell you another reason why someone might not have a pic--it's because some spiteful idiot notified the system that a pic didn't show enough of my face (or of me?) and I got the "Markus" letter and my pic deleted.

Some people's kids have way too much time on their hands...oh, yeah, that is why they haunt PoF and can't even do that right.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 2644
Posted: 5/3/2015 2:10:25 PM

I can tell you another reason why someone might not have a pic--it's because some spiteful idiot notified the system that a pic didn't show enough of my face (or of me?) and I got the "Markus" letter and my pic deleted.

Funny. A lot of us seem to be getting notifications from Markus all of a sudden.

I'm sure it's just a big coincidence, though. Uh huh.
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2645
Posted: 5/3/2015 4:16:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
yeah, and many of us are disappearing.
I did send an email to PoF protesting. I hate selfies, can't hold the cam/phone still AND click it, I wanted the pic back again as my main one with my mare :(
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2646
Posted: 5/3/2015 5:49:44 PM

Nope, not super local, but not far away either, and why are you asking ?

Wrap your mind around this: Just say it next time, or when questioned about it, just happily say it then! :)

If one brings up a story about liking someone on the Forums, it's assumed they live Far Away. It'd be like telling a story about a guy they met at the market and chit-chatted with, but he wasn't interested -- only to leave out "Oh yeah, I was in a market on the other side of the country for a 2 day seminar." It's a big no-mention. Ya should have just said "Oh yeah, whoops -- yeah, he's a guy who lives near me," and I would have said, "Oh yeah, that changes things. Hmm. You would have figured he would have been a little more talkative if a gal wasn't being too 'obvious' or anything. Not often you run into someone in the forums who lives within close range."

I'm not picking on you or being petty at all! :) Distance changes things on other people's interests, whether it affects You personally or not. It's a big no-mention. Not fight picking -- it seems to be the other way around...

I don't "pick up" anyone--that was crude, disgusting and not appropriate.

Picking up a girl (or vice versa) is crude, disgusting, and inappropriate? Easy! :) Why are you so upset and angry? Picking up a girl means a guy engages with her to garner her interest, and does, which results in a date/get-together... and picking up a guy means the same thing.

Well hopefully it wasn't the somewhat-local guy you wrote from the forums. Kidding! :) It is a dating site, so I can understand why they'd want the Primary photo being at least remotely close to clear face shot (not shadowed, too covered, etc). But I can see how that's kinda picky if they Also have more clearer shots that aren't primary one. I would say that there's other 'rules' that seem too stringent -- like the age-gap rules imposed, which just gives more excuse for one to lie about their age. Why not force a self-imposed age bracket that defaults to their range, with a "no matter"? After all, if there's a "no serious, no commitment" and "Friends" as options -- why would age bracket be so necessary?

And I met at least a couple of ladies w/o a phone call AND/or pics. Likely on THE day we exchanged an email or two.

I think not talking on the phone is pretty normal. I would imagine for no-pic profiles, you'd either want to meet them ASAP, or more preferably, have them email ya a pic. I think it's a good idea if they have "Private Pictures", that way you know they have some on hand to send ya. To engage with talking/convo for a sustainable period of time without seeing them, and meeting them on top of that? IMO, that's a bold move. Something to 'change things up', if one's luck isn't so hot.

However, it seems a bit off because I wonder why they don't post their pic...Is it merely because of a job, or because they are married?

Well, a pretty gal doesn't need to both with pictureless guys. If someone has private pics and sends them in their initial message, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Many people don't want their pics posted over the Internet.. it can be due to their job that at least makes it uneasy in doing so -- yes. I wouldn't assume they're married though. Sure, they could make it up. They could also post a picture of their better looking cousin, too. ;)
 justdeb1111
Msg: 2647
Posted: 5/3/2015 10:39:52 PM

If one brings up a story about liking someone on the Forums, it's assumed they live Far Away

Nope. The forums are full of people posting under several dating topics from "Broken Hearts" to "Ask a girl/guy" and no one assumes that they are all talking about long distance relationships.

. . . I would say that there's other 'rules' that seem too stringent -- like the age-gap rules imposed, which just gives more excuse for one to lie about their age. Why not force a self-imposed age bracket that defaults to their range, with a "no matter"? After all, if there's a "no serious, no commitment" and "Friends" as options -- why would age bracket be so necessary?

omg, you're actually making sense...

You did lose me a bit, but I think you said why not allow each individual (we are all adults) to set their own criteria as to who can contact them rather than have the system impose it on everyone? (Now it *still* defaults to the age limits that are individually set, even if the message sender is within the system's 14 year limit so sometimes you can't message someone---even if they have favorited you or was affirmative towards you for the "meet up" feature. )

Only way anything will change is if enough people at one time contact PoF and say they want change.
 norwegianguy123
Msg: 2648
Posted: 5/4/2015 12:53:54 AM

Nope. The forums are full of people posting under several dating topics from "Broken Hearts" to "Ask a girl/guy" and no one assumes that they are all talking about long distance relationships.

You're Not Getting What I'm Saying. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that if you like someone who's ALSO active in the forums, and that's all that's known, it's assumed that they live Far Away, as most people on the forums live far away from each other.

If I tell you, "There's this one gal in the forums I've really liked over many months... I wrote her a private message, and she just gave me a 2-cent response, and it just fizzled. Uggh. I totally saw her as dating material... [etc etc]," -- as I don't mention where she lives in relation to me, it'd be assumed she does Not live close to me at all. The burden is on Me to point out that they live close to me, as it's assumed one lives far apart.

It'd be like me going to a nation-wide convention and telling you I got some cute gal's business card while out there... and after I got back, I emailed her but she wasn't very communicative and shucks -- she was like, dating material. Yeah, you'd assume she didn't live in my area, right? That's my point...
 hikkikomori
Msg: 2649
Posted: 6/13/2015 9:12:39 PM
I think it's absolutely shameful that people expect pics.
It's privacy reasons, or people that don't want someone shallow. If you expect pics, you're shallow.

I've met people that had no pics posted, though it never worked out. I was fine with it because I don't care about looks.
 chrisshrew
Msg: 2650
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2015 5:07:17 AM

It's privacy reasons, or people that don't want someone shallow. If you expect pics, you're shallow.

How are you supposed to know if there is attraction there or not then? Judging someone solely by their looks may be shallow but they don't find the person attractive in any way it isn't going to work. Also if you arrange to meet how are you going to recognise them?

That said I almost met a girl with no pic last week, mainly because she sent the first message and as that doesn't happen very often it was hard to ignore. Especially as she spoke English and living in Spain its quite rare for dating profiles.

She must have had something to hide thou as we arranged to meet, she didn't turn up and then stopped all contact.
 Eternitygracesme
Msg: 2651
Posted: 6/15/2015 5:11:44 AM

Why should I forfeit my concerns so that a photoless person is considered?
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >