Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 FishOwl
Msg: 178
Why dont women go for guys in Wheelchairs?Page 9 of 11    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11)
Takes a special woman. Good luck.
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 179
Why dont women go for guys in Wheelchairs?
Posted: 8/16/2012 5:12:04 AM
I was interested in a lady "in a wheel chair" ,through the grapevine I found out "she thought I was too short"....
Ther are many reasons why...and they have all probably been mentioned...
 Vannili
Msg: 180
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2012 8:42:56 AM
miss mama,
I dated a guy/engage 3 yrs, who was in a Wheel chair ,he was a Lawyer that have an accident while he was skiing, his wheel chair is not a hindrance, he was strong,kind intelligent,person, I was not able to marry him because he passed away of colon cancer...so I become a caregiver to people with disability for a reason... Assessing my self I was not inlove with the Lawyer what I felt is pity...

[quote ] Ahh Vannili where do I begin with you lol?! You're opinions and beliefs regarding those that confined to wheel chair are absulutely ignorant ! I would sit here and tell you what I think of youbut your inability to spell or form a sentence that is grammatically correct leads me to believe that you wouldn't understand a word I was saying lololo!!!

in regards to grammatically correct > do you mean "YOUR " possessive pronominal adj OR
YOU ARE (YOU'RE ) opinions and belief, ,,they way you impressed me, and the way I understand I am not a person but words..
I won't do the lololo on this subject that is too common.
You're intitled of what you think of my observations and opinions, it doesn't really bother me whether it is nagative or positive...
missmama, try me ,,,,,,I'll try to understand YOUR and YOU'RE ( YOU ARE ) ... Tell you what? My fat AZZ farts intelligently it will understand your supreme English words, shh this is between you and me.
 quickwheelz91
Msg: 181
Posted: 8/16/2012 5:47:10 PM
i am in a chair, ugh getting soo mad at some comments, men in chairs can have sex but if theyre paralyzed im not really sure but there prob is a way. i am handicapped and everything works great in tht department haha stop underestimating us , we're people with the same needs for love, give us a damn chance will ya
 Love.Notes
Msg: 182
Posted: 8/16/2012 6:12:08 PM
I had to smile a bit when I read this. I messaged a guy in my own town who was in a wheelchair and we got along great in here... typing back and forth. He was always "to busy lol" out with friends and yes he drove as well He was far from limited and very sexy looking as well. We didn't click because it was never a good night with my work and his work to meet up. But I think it depends on the woman, and yes there will be some that say no way I'm not doing it for whatever reason. Then there will be those that have no issues or hangups with it and see you for the fun they can have ...with you!

Every man on POF wheel chair or not says the same thing. Women don't often answer them back. You're not the only one in here (according to some men) that have problems with women "responding". Doesn't mean they are not out there! They are and some day you will find her or maybe she will find you.

You have a very good attitude and your positive about things and that's what women will cherish more.

Best of luck my dear.
 Maleman999
Msg: 183
Posted: 8/16/2012 7:30:22 PM
The problems guys in wheelchairs would have dating is a girl will look at the wheelchair and say :"Your chair is bland and plain looking, and looks like all of the other wheelchairs. We need to spruce it up a bit". Because you want to impress her, you would say: "Go for it. Knock you socks off." She will then proceed to paint flowers on one part of the chair and paint a forest scene with Bambi on another part, and put streamers in the handles. You will then look very gay in the chair.
 coderedjulia1
Msg: 184
Posted: 8/16/2012 7:52:27 PM
Can you get it up?
 quickwheelz91
Msg: 185
Posted: 8/17/2012 7:21:53 AM
not sure if you are talking to me but hell ya i can. haha..basically all guys in chairs that are not paralyzed most likely can
 foxxysc
Msg: 186
Posted: 9/18/2012 1:58:58 AM
Unfortunately I know what you're talking about. My former fiance was born with a disability and was in a chair. I met him online and actually didn't notice he was disabled in his pictures. I thought he was crazy when he told me people treat disabled people like they're asexual. But then I started noticing the stares when we went out, how customer service people would only talk to me about transactions he was obviously in charge of, how people would assume that since his legs were missing his brain must be too, etc. And God the rude questions I would get from people!! I would never dream of walking up to someone and asking about the mechanics of their sex-life, but somehow they acted like mine should be public knowledge. Most of the people who considered him to be a sexual being (besides myself) turned out to be voyeurs or fetishists. Sadly this wonderful young man and I could not work things out, but it had nothing to do with the chair or his disabilty. I'm no fetishist, but I would be with another disabled person no problem.
 Dolphina
Msg: 187
Posted: 9/18/2012 2:40:23 AM
I'd love to know how many men would be interested in a woman in a wheelchair. Just saying...
 Maleman999
Msg: 188
Posted: 9/18/2012 1:50:23 PM
If a woman is getting 10 e-mails a day from guys on a dating site, and all of the other guys don't have disabilities, who do you think she is going to respond to? Do you have anything going for you that no other guy has that will impress women over an able bodied guy? If the situation was reversed, would you do the same thing?
 Phil_an_derer
Msg: 189
Posted: 9/18/2012 3:29:36 PM
Women like to wear heels......
 bikercouple5155
Msg: 190
Posted: 10/17/2012 8:52:18 AM
Im usually a very open minded person but Im also a very active individual. When I chose to be with someone they have to be able to keep up me and all the activities I do and share. I prefer to date someone that I can spend time with while getting out and doing things. I ride a Harley motorcycle, scuba dive, ski and so on and it would defeat the purpose of being in a relationship if I can't share my passions with someone else. Im sure your a nice guy and probably attractive, good luck with your search, hopefully the right woman will come along for you.

Tobie
 cdogmx
Msg: 191
Posted: 11/17/2012 9:57:17 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm in a chair, and yes I have noticed that online is very difficult to meet women when in a chair.

On another note, I can tell you that you will have much better luck meeting someone in person. I've meet and dated some amazing, beautiful, successful women since I broke my neck in 06. If you have a good personality, conversational skills, a good heart and you're genuine you will meet someone.

There are good reasons for women to be "afraid" of dating a guy in a chair, or a guy dating a woman in a chair. I think right away people assume you need to be taken care of. Which in a lot of cases that is true. I am lucky enough to be independent and slowly keep recovering. Does that make a difference? Probably. Or is it my never give up, work hard attitude that the women are attracted to?

Before I had my injury I'm not sure I would have ever approached or dated a woman in a chair. Why? I had no clue about any of it. Is this person mentally slow (A common misconception)? Do they need to be taken care of? How would we have sex? Is it different? My point is that the unknown is scary. I don't think it's the actual fact of being in a chair that turns people off. I think it's just not knowing anything about it.

So again, I think it's better for someone in a chair to meet people in "real life". Get out and do things you enjoy. That's most likely where you'll meet someone with your same interests that will see past the chair. I can't tell you have many times I've been told that they forgot about the chair after only a 10 minute conversation.

Keep your chin up and live your life the best you can. Someone will come along and see you for you. Just be patient.
 aubie1
Msg: 192
Posted: 1/16/2013 1:01:09 PM
I'm not looking for sympathy from any woman. All I'm asking for is a chance. I've had women look at me and walk on past. Some smile but alot more don't. I just wish a woman see me and get to know me first before they see my wheelchair and think "that poor guy." or they think " I'm glad I'm dating someone like him." Don't women realze that men in wheelchairs have hearts and feelings?
 aubie1
Msg: 193
Posted: 1/16/2013 1:20:08 PM
Hello foxxysc,
Email me sometime. You seem very honest and caring.
 Rythmn
Msg: 194
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2013 2:09:35 AM
i used a wheelchair before my iv for lyme. i met several people back then who used chairs permanently and were in relationships. several with kids. many are uneducated about sexuality with a person using a chair.

i have really attractive friends who don't use a chair and cannot find someone. so, you have to be totally spruced, get involved in a lot of "stuff" put yourself forward in speaking and behaving. you will find her. they said i could not find someone in my 60's with lyme. i did not listen:) sure some won't like you for your chair. they always find something. ask my friend. her problem is she is giving up too soon. it does take some work. you have to look your best and be your best. that goes for most.

ps you email the girl and if she does not respond, move on. don't wait for her to email you!!!
 prime ribb
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/24/2013 5:24:41 AM
A pal of mine on my FB page goes through the same thing. I would see posts from him about not being able to find a woman. We all know it's not easy for an able-bodied man to find a woman, but if you add in a handicap it gets complicated. I wish women weren't shallow with this, but I think a way to make them feel comfortable would be to put all the cards on the table. I seen some people with physical challenges just make jokes about it. Let them know that the chair gets you to point A and B like a Volvo...lol. Tell her you looking for platinum rims for your wheels..lol.

There are ways around this and if you keep at it you will find that one woman who can see past it.
 streamfisher4u
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/24/2013 11:00:20 PM
ummm damn it just takes one...if they only knew what they was missin...most women just can't stand
to have four or five big Os a day...they just can't handle it...or having someone to come home to with the
house all cleaned up and a meal ready to eat...just makes em feel kinda like a loser when someone who
is disabled is making them look worthless...ya know.. just smile
 LucidTheory
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/25/2013 10:23:28 PM
A date or 2 I would consider, but likely not dating. In general my problems would be

1. Because I don't think I can have sex with you, seems like too much work. The whole thing seems like to much work and I don't want to be bothered.

2. You need additional accommodations that I don't need and take for granted (like a ramp) and that something I have to take into consideration while dating you. That means extra work.

3. It makes you vastly shorter than me. Too much bending over for affection.

4. I don't trust your motives. I'd think 'dude please. If you weren't disabled you wouldn't even give me the time of day; but now since you're crippled you have to lower your standards and I am NOT the one for someone to 'settle' for. I am more than that, therefore more than you.'

5. I ain't trying to be nobody's care taker. The more I would do for you, the more you would come to rely on me.

6. Feels awkward.
 Padawan61
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2013 10:52:37 PM
^^^^^Ouch!! At least your post is brutally honest without any hint of politically correct euphemism.
 Bruceleericks
Msg: 199
Posted: 6/24/2013 6:56:39 PM
Because alot of women think that they will have to take care of us an they just dont realise that we can take care of ourselves.
 tallshyman
Msg: 200
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2013 10:36:04 PM
I was in a wheelchair when leaving the hospital and I did not like it al all. hope I am never in a wheelchair ever again.
 King_of_Nuthin
Msg: 201
Posted: 6/27/2013 2:46:17 PM
I didn't read all of this thread, but there was a girls profile on here a few months back and I wanted to send her a message really bad. She was beautiful and from reading her profile we had a lot in common.
I didn't message her because she was in a wheelchair. I had 3 main reasons/concerns that kept me from sending her a message (she probably wouldn't have replied anyway)
Not in order...
Sex is very important to me in a relationship and I wasn't sure about sexual things with a girl in a wheelchair. just like the girl above asking if the guy could get it up.

I like to do outdoors stuff, a lot of it is not handicapped friendly. However I've seen a guy in a wheel chair and also a blind guy rock climbing so I know that anything is possible.

I would feel awkward which wouldn't have been fair to her. I know I would say something like "lets take a walk" and then I would feel like an a hole for saying walk. Even though I doubt it would bother someone in a wheelchair to hear that.

There's also the fact that I have a protector and caring personality. I had a friend who was handicapped and he hated when people would help him do stuff. If I went on a date with a girl in a wheelchair I would treat them the same as I do with any girl. Opening doors and stuff like that, but I would be afraid that she would feel like she was being treated like she couldn't do stuff.

With all that said...
If she ever joins pof again I'm going to send her a message.
 tallshyman
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2013 11:08:12 AM
I stay away from anyone in Wheelchair because they like to file lawsuits and I want to keep my money.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >