Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 redwood34
Msg: 30
Bill Maher - opinions? Thoughts?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
He used to get on my nerves alot, but since I saw this video, I'm starting to think maybe he's not all that bad.

http://studentsforpaul.org/bill_maher_changing_his_tune

Plus I liked his role(some would say he basically played himself) in the movie called House 2. You can see a picture of him here(wearing a pink tie) with the cast of House 2: The Second Story.

http://www.iconsoffright.com/IV_Lar.htm
 Longrock1WW
Msg: 31
Bill Maher - opinions? Thoughts?
Posted: 10/12/2007 8:00:25 PM
I liked his Politically Incorrect show a lot more. Better show, more fair and balanced. Always went after conservatives but allowed for the conservative opinion and had some conservative opinions of his own from time to time. I feel he has become a complete shill for a very liberal HBO. I don't mind so much that he hates W but he's gone a lot further than that now. It will be interesting to see how he handles his coverage of the next election. Very interesting candidates in one of the most important times in the countries history. The show for the most part has become him and three liberal guest. Not that interesting and not funny enough to be considered great satire. Pollitically Incorrect seemed to be more interesting, controversial, open minded and funny. Maybe he's sold out a bit to HBO so he does't lose another job. P.S. Bill Clinton gave some excellent advice a few years back which suggested the democratic party stop with the hate mongering, they have not listened yet and it continues to cost them.
 CharlesEdm
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/13/2007 9:24:15 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of Bill Maher, I found poltically incorrect much more amusing.

As to philly's comments. He had Ann Coulter on, another republican pseudo nazi on his shoe repeatedly.

I didn't realise you worked for Bill Maher so you were aware of who had and had not recieved invitations on the show.
 Skydds
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/17/2007 9:08:33 PM
The thing about not being able to get right wingers on his show, is that very few right wingers will do his show.
 Skydds
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/17/2007 11:37:49 PM
It wasn't just Bush it was the whole republican congress.
 Skydds
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/23/2007 1:49:07 PM

I'm definitely not a Maher fan, and I'd also love to see Limbaugh on Maher's show. And if Limbaugh brought enough of his Oxycontin for all of us, then perhaps we could get stoned enough to make ol' Rush seem interesting. Maher would take Limbaugh apart, and probably do the same to the Ann Coulter of talk radio ... Laura Ingraham, as well as Sean Hannity.

I'm pretty sure all those people have been on his show anyways, and Bill Maher doesn't tear people apart really, he asks tough questions, tries to strain the bullshit but he still treats them with respect when they are on his show.
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/20/2013 12:45:40 PM
When a mega rich Republican like Phil Mickelson say they are going to leave California because he doesn't want to be taxed so much he is met with a barrage of reporters that want his head on a stick.

When a mega rich good liberal like Bill Maher says below that he JUST NOW FOUND OUT how the top 1% pay 40% of taxes and the top 10% of earners pay a whopping 70% of all taxes and so he may move out of California because now he doesn't approve of his personal tax rate you won't be seeing any reporters covering it.

Rich people, I'm sure you'd agree with this, actually do pay the freight in this country. I just saw these statistics. I mean something like 70%. And here in California, I just want to say, liberals, you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying. Over 50%. I'm willing to pay my share, but, yeah, it's ridiculous.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/20/2013 1:10:24 PM
Let me get this straight.....you revived a five year old thread for this?

First, I never heard (nor did most people, I'm sure) about any controversy over comments by Phil Mickelson. But, he's a famous golfer. I don't know if you're aware of this, but most people who cheat on their spouses don't get the wall to wall coverage Tiger Woods got either. Even comedians who get caught cheating
 enigoM
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/21/2013 6:56:04 AM
Why not revive it?..the thread is about Bill Maher..he just found out the truth about taxes and said so on Television recently....said he might be leaving Cali because of Taxes..seems pretty noteworthy being that he is a well know Liberal mouth piece...
 flyguy51
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/21/2013 12:14:56 PM
1) Maher's program is national, and he is talking about one state's taxation
2) Maher's income is mainly wage income, which is, indeed, taxed higher than capital gains-- where the real wealth resides
3) Maher has been known to make comments that he later felt the need to explain and contextualize, if not retract-- if and when that happens, righties will not be so eager to acknowledge it
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 44
Posted: 3/21/2013 1:35:27 PM

When a mega rich good liberal like Bill Maher says below that he JUST NOW FOUND OUT how the top 1% pay 40% of taxes and the top 10% of earners pay a whopping 70% of all taxes and so he may move out of California because now he doesn't approve of his personal tax rate you won't be seeing any reporters covering it.

Not understanding that the % paid by a group of people is a completely meaningless statistic, is just that, not understanding

Though nice work on the CAPs as you really need to emphasize that, though it you actually watch the video of when he says it you will see that the "just found out part" is a bit of a misstatements.

Also I guess you just forgot to include the link the actual source that would contain not just that part cut out but the whole transcript so other could properly judge the quote, but facts are just silly things right, just keep the derp alive and ALWAYS use caps when necessary.

Rich people, I'm sure you'd agree with this, actually do pay the freight in this country. I just saw these statistics. I mean something like 70%. And here in California, I just want to say, liberals, you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying. Over 50%. I'm willing to pay my share, but, yeah, it's ridiculous.

One quick web search will see this is the derp flavor of the week, as pretty much every conservative with a web page is running with this.

Which either means they are grasping at straws or they value Bill Maher opinion.

Because it does not matter what a group of people pay in taxes, it only matters what individuals pay in taxes and if one could do the math and add all taxes up I bet you would see that the middle class pay the highest % to income than all other levels.
 enigoM
Msg: 45
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:24:23 PM
nope...if you cant see the irony than you are daft....right its all about percentages..if you did the math you would see that some individuals pay %1000 more in actual dollars than others and millions pay zero percent
.....you all keep quoring percentages I asked irish what his effective tax rate was after he took advantage of deductions/ loopholes didnt get an answer..
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:41:08 PM
nope...if you cant see the irony than you are daft....right its all about percentages...

Not understanding that numbers as they related to a group of people has no bearing or point of reference to individuals is just that, not understanding.

...if you did the math you would see that some individuals pay %1000 more in actual dollars than others and millions pay zero percent

Why do you think that only federal payroll taxes matter? What about all the others?

So unless someone is able to survive without having to make a purchase or require a service, everyone is paying taxes in one way or another. Though I do understand why people want to ignore these as they show the true disparity picture.

Though speaking of math and irony, a 1000% increase from zero is still zero.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit for below:

Not a "meaningless statistic" if the top one percent decide to move somewhere else.... 40% of tax revenue.... *poof*.... gone.

LOL Wut?

If they decide to move then they become top 1% somewhere else and as a group will pay the most $ in taxes.

Though wait until they figure out that they can just pay less if they earn less, the country will be truly screwed then.
 427cammer
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 2:49:13 PM
Flyguy:

1) Maher's program is national, and he is talking about one state's taxation

So what?

A guy who has made his living as an outspoken critic of conservative tax policies ponders moving to another location in order to avoid paying taxes.... this should be a clear message to people that rates can get too high.

Maher, in a Huffington Post article:

New Rule: The next rich person who publicly complains about being vilified by the Obama administration must be publicly vilified by the Obama administration. It's so hard for one person to tell another person what constitutes being "rich", or what tax rate is "too much." But I've done some math that indicates that, considering the hole this country is in, if you are earning more than a million dollars a year and are complaining about a 3.6% tax increase, then you are by definition a greedy *sshole.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-maher/new-rule-rich-people-who-_b_737429.html

2) Maher's income is mainly wage income, which is, indeed, taxed higher than capital gains-- where the real wealth resides

So why was there such a big fight over raising rates on the top one percent of wage earners a few months back?

3) Maher has been known to make comments that he later felt the need to explain and contextualize, if not retract-- if and when that happens, righties will not be so eager to acknowledge it

Again... so what?

If he reverses his position again on this issue, that's just telling me that liberals have no tolerance for differing views... he knows on which side his bread is buttered... he'll just step right back in place and keep repeating the party line like before.... I won't be surprised.

Aristotle:

Not understanding that the % paid by a group of people is a completely meaningless statistic, is just that, not understanding

Not a "meaningless statistic" if the top one percent decide to move somewhere else.... 40% of tax revenue.... *poof*.... gone.

Because it does not matter what a group of people pay in taxes, it only matters what individuals pay in taxes and if one could do the math and add all taxes up I bet you would see that the middle class pay the highest % to income than all other levels.

Up here in Canada it's very possible that three pack a day smokers pay the highest amount of their income in taxes out of anybody.... maybe we should raise the rate on non-smokers to make up for this discrepancy...
 flyguy51
Msg: 48
Posted: 3/21/2013 3:06:20 PM
So what?

A guy who has made his living as an outspoken critic of conservative tax policies ponders moving to another location in order to avoid paying taxes.... this should be a clear message to people that rates can get too high.

Maybe California's rates are too high. Maher's opinions on federal taxation can still be quite different. Not all of us live in California. My current state goes overboard on fees and taxes as well-- that doesn't alter my opinion of federal matters.

So why was there such a big fight over raising rates on the top one percent of wage earners a few months back?

You mean the GOP was more open to raising capital gains tax? Do tell...

Compare the fiscal condition of the US and its top marginal rate with that of other industrialized countries-- that will point the way for you.

Again... so what?

If he reverses his position again on this issue, that's just telling me that liberals have no tolerance for differing views... he knows on which side his bread is buttered... he'll just step right back in place and keep repeating the party line like before.... I won't be surprised.

I didn't say he would reverse his position. I was saying that he can be flip in his comments. If he feels the need to further explain his comment, it won't be because of a liberal backlash; it will be because of the conservative feeding frenzy-- as this very thread testifies.

Substitute "liberals" in your statement with "conservatives and liberals" and you would be more accurate and sound more reasonable. Specifically, I am thinking of GOP politicians who chastise Rush Limbaugh and later recant.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/21/2013 3:15:08 PM
A guy who has made his living as an outspoken critic of conservative tax policies......

I'm kind of wondering who you're talking about. I've seen his show on HBO. I used to watch his show on ABC. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I've never heard him talk about tax policies. That might be because the guy is a comedian, and tax policies don't tend to be fodder for great jokes.

If he had to make his living talking about taxes, getting taxed too much would be the least of his worries.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 50
Posted: 3/21/2013 3:43:39 PM

I asked irish what his effective tax rate was after he took advantage of deductions/ loopholes didnt get an answer..

This I absolutely do not recall....and it wasn't in this thread...and it wasn't in the 2 other threads that are in politics...so, tell me, oh one who never replies to a direct question, where is this thread and post # where you asked me such a persona;l question???

I'll answer it here if you would like...should I give an Exxon answer and lump my federal, state, FICA, self employment tax, gas tax, sales taxes, property tax, car tax, phone tax, cable tax together...or would you just like my effective federal tax?
 427cammer
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:05:56 PM
flyguy:

You mean the GOP was more open to raising capital gains tax? Do tell...

I don't actually pay a whole lot of attention to what the GOP are open to. If your tax laws unfairly favour people who only earn by capital gains then I would expect that's who the Dems should have been going after.... unless it doesn't make sense to raise rates there at the risk of hurting your economy.

Substitute "liberals" in your statement with "conservatives and liberals" and you would be more accurate and sound more reasonable

You're the one who said "righties will not be so eager to acknowledge it".... I'm just maintaing the conversational tone.

Halftime:

I'm kind of wondering who you're talking about. I've seen his show on HBO. I used to watch his show on ABC. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I've never heard him talk about tax policies.

You never read my first post very thoroughly then.... in it I included a snippet from an article Maher had wrote for the Huffington Post.

Maher is as much political analyst/commentator as Bill O'Reilly... not sure who gets the shitty end of the stick in that comparison.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:24:41 PM
I was actually watching that skit with Maher when he talked about his personal taxes...it's had to know if he's being sarcastic , funny, or serious...I guess if he's serious we'll hear it again...that's when we'll know.
 flyguy51
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/21/2013 4:43:47 PM
You're the one who said "righties will not be so eager to acknowledge it".... I'm just maintaing the conversational tone.

I'm sure you think so. The difference is that my claim would not have made sense at all if I made it bipartisan.

There is a poster here who once described a great test to see if one's claim is valid and insightful or not. He said to substitute the subject of the claim with its opposite and see if it still makes sense. If it doesn't, then the claim is adding insight. If the opposite still makes sense, then the claim is not really adding to the conversation.

Examples:

-White (opposite: black) is a color. (true, but not insightful)

-White (black) is the combination of all colors in the color spectrum. (opposite = false, so the claim is insightful and adds value)

Your claim: "that's just telling me that liberals (conservatives) have no tolerance for differing views..."

See? Now you have a simple test to see if a claim is insightful or not.
 427cammer
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2013 5:31:28 PM
^^^^^If you've followed my posting history here you can see that in many instances I do include both sides when I have something negative to say about one side (.... something like "and conservatives too" included in brackets).

I could have done that here of course. So sorry.

How quickly these conversations can devolve.
 Aries_328
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2013 8:22:01 PM

I was actually watching that skit with Maher when he talked about his personal taxes...it's had to know if he's being sarcastic , funny, or serious...I guess if he's serious we'll hear it again...that's when we'll know

I wouldn't be so sure... and I do not like Bill Maher at all.

http://www.inquisitr.com/602342/one-liberal-could-push-bill-maher-into-the-tea-party-ann-coulters-arms-video/

“I think it gives liberals a bad name,” Maher opined. “It makes liberals look like bullies who want to tell people what to do,” he added, continuing, “they never met a regulation they didn’t like.”

When liberalism turns into the what it really is, leftism, it isn't what was expected. Disillusionment happens.
 Aries_328
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/3/2013 9:42:44 AM

See, that's what not being a conservative means...that you can change your mind according to the facts at hand.

Uh, maybe you really don't quite get what freedom to change your mind actually means. You already just projected your belief in him that he will conform to your ideal. Conforming is not freedom. I don't like his opinions. I don't like his politics. I don't like his style. I don't have to. I have no expectations that he conforms to any ideal that I think.

I wouldn't be mad if he all of the sudden woke up and realized he was wrong about a lot of things. I don't expect it nor does he get punished for not doing so. Unlike those with ideas similar to what you project here who wish and seek to humiliate those that disagree.

proof positive that obesity rates dropped in New York City
What if this is not a controlled experiment with a static population tracked over decades and measured in every other aspect of human health both physical and mental. Does that statistic mean much independently?

Yes, reducing consumption of sugar and fat have an impact on weight. Positive results would be what... a net loss of 2lb per year for obese people... so, from 375 to 373 avg? Those on the "obese" BMI edge would dip below that edge and impact your number even if they drop by 1lb during testing. Do you count that? It makes the percentage look good.

Are you sure you know what "facts at hand" actually means?
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/6/2013 1:44:12 PM
Maher I think would technically be more like a "left-leaning libertarian" (as opposed to the probably more common right-leaning libertarians). I do like him and his show in general, his movie was pretty funny too ("Religulous") but sometimes maybe he can be a bit too hard or too scathing or sarcastic towards everyone's religious beliefs. I mean, I understand he's agnostic or atheist or whatever, and that's fine, but he's not going to change anyone with deeply-held beliefs either, so.... an ounce of respect is probably in order, at least IMO.
 NotGorshkovAgain
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 7/21/2013 2:28:13 AM

Uh, maybe you really don't quite get what freedom to change your mind actually means. You already just projected your belief in him that he will conform to your ideal. Conforming is not freedom.

I don't think you know what freedom means yourself. No, conforming is not freedom ....... if you are forced to conform. If you arrive at a conforming opinion of your own free will, then yes, it IS freedom. The difference is this: conformance and freedom are totally unrelated concepts, are not dependant on each other, and have exactly zero to do with each other.

It's as silly as saying that driving a car means you aren't a vegetarian.

But if you look at an issue, think about it (or not - having the right to think for yourself also gives you the right to NOT think for yourself, if you don't want to), and come to the conclusion that you also happen to think what the majority thinks (ie, conform), then yes, it is.

"Freedom" is not defined by where you wind up on the political spectrum. It's defined by how you get there, for ANY value of "there".
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >