Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Imagine There Is No Religion      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 velopedian
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Imagine There Is No ReligionPage 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
a world with no religion? that'd be heavenly...
 rockondon
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Imagine There Is No Religion
Posted: 2/28/2010 11:23:01 AM

would hypocritical phrases such as:
I will keep you in my prayers / OMG .... be prohibited
They aren't hypocritical, they're just useless. When someone offers to put me in their prayers, I thank them for the sentiment (except when its for selfish reasons - which usually means that they pray that I will become a religious fundie like they are) but I'm well aware that its a token sentiment that's easily performed in lieu of them doing me any kind of real favor or granting any actual assistance.
I can't imagine such sentiments being prohibited, but if the world had no religion then it would be unusual that they would be used. Replacement phrases might include wishing the person well, hoping for the best for them, or simply saying good luck.

Also, would new Stat Holidays be created to take over Easter / Christmas,
or would you just continue celebrating them as officially pagan.
It seems you do not understand what "no religion" means.

It also appears that you don't realize that its insulting when you claim that those who believe differently than you do are 'empty' and 'unfulfilled' (although that's likely a projection of your own emptiness). This tells me of another reason why a world without religion would be better - no longer would people use the act of being condescending and insulting toward other belief systems as a tool to help them feel better about their own religious choices.

velopedian
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:27:17 PM
i would tend to think that atheism would be considered a lack of faith. paganism on the other hand is a religion, not a cult.

as for pastafarianism? well, the flying spaghetti monster makes as much sense as jesus, allah, buddha or any other name you prefer to associate with the religion of your choice. except for the belief of it's followers, there is no proof one way or the other for pastafarianism, christianity or any other faith. i can't prove that jesus, the fsm et al di or did not do everything that's credited to them, and neither can you.

it all boils down to one thing... faith is nothing more than a personal belief.

and on a final note... even as young as 12, i managed to figure out that, over the millenia, more harm has been done in the name of various loving gods than any other reason. hmmm...
 Corner GasGuy
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/28/2010 11:04:54 PM
I would embrace the idea that an evolutionary demarcation point may be achieved when Humankind moves beyond the need for self serving, power centered God concepts to give meaning to our lives. Archaic myth driven "Religions" do not require the intellectual leap of logic and reason, only an unquestionable "Faith".
 rockondon
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 2:24:21 AM

There are many faiths. Atheism is a faith, too.
Calling atheism a faith is like calling baldness a hair colour.
I don't assert that no gods exist (which would be a faith-based claim). I merely do not have a belief that a god does exist. I don't have a belief that unicorns exist either (perhaps you think that makes me an a-unicornist?) but I'm happy to believe in gods or unicorns or anything else the moment that evidence rolls in to support their existence. I try to keep an open mind.

your posts are another example of words that sadden me because I
hear so much pain and real un-happiness.
You hear that? Perhaps you should ask your doctor to increase the dosage of your antipsychotics - that should help you with those pesky hallucinations.

the chip you carry on your shoulder is pretty huge.
Ah yes, you're projecting again. tsk tsk.
Feel free to pretend I'm unhappy or have a chip on my shoulder or any other delusion that helps you make it through the day. I won't try to confuse you with the truth once you've made up your mind. I'm well accustomed to the tactics that fundies use to maintain their false belief system.
 Snotsure
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/2/2010 5:31:02 AM

like this poster snotsure/mr.chicken or whatever profile he
is currently using

Maybe I am Jesus....

(I may also have a bridge for sale)
 Corner GasGuy
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/13/2010 1:39:14 PM
The Miami Herald > News > Florida > Florida AP
Florida AP

* Saturday, 03.13.10
Bartow woman, 55, dies during lengthy fast
The Associated Press

BARTOW, Fla. -- The husband of a Florida woman who died alone during a religious fast says he was trying to respect the woman's wishes by not disturbing her.

Evelyn Boyd locked herself in a bedroom to pray and fast in early February. The 55-year-old woman didn't come out of the room for weeks. By the time family members forced the bedroom door open, Boyd was dead.

Boyd's husband, John, says his wife had fasted before. He says she was "doing what she loved to do and what she felt God had called her to do."

Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd said authorities don't expect to file criminal charges in the case, which is still being investigated. An exact cause of death isn't clear yet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An act of extreme religious devotion or delusional thinking? IMO, the same.
 DameWrite
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 2:00:51 AM
Check out secular humanism.
 mcalgary
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 9:39:05 PM
secular humanism has grown out of religion. People who have become disolutioned with religion but still have compassion for others have brought this on.

The question would be would there be secular compassion if not for religion first??
 rockondon
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:12:32 PM

In many ways, we obtain morality from religion...

The question would be would there be secular compassion if not for religion first??

Do people think that animals have morals because of religious teachings?
Do people think that religion grew from rocks or something before humans came on the scene? They must think that, judging by the lack of awareness that humans actually wrote religions. So, obviously, we had morals before those religions were created in order for us to write them down. Thousands of years before, surely. Mankind is a social animal in a social setting therefore morality is an evolutionary trait.

Also, while many people like to pretend that morality comes solely from religion, that's a delusion as well. We also get morals from our parents, friends, siblings, books, media, laws, philosophy, an innate sense of right and wrong, our experiences, etc. So if we didn't have religion, we would still retain morals from numerous other sources.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 11:49:41 PM
^^^ I wish there was a 'like' button on here :)
 rockondon
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:05:57 AM

Gourmand: ^^^I agree....we may need to clone him lol! Just out of curiosity, what would the other button be called??

Clone me? Even one of me is way too many. Two would be disastrous - unless he'd be willing to do chores - that would be cool.
The other button might be a 'dislike' button. I'm sure I'd see mine clicked lots of times.

emme7: This is one of these questions that is simply mind boggling and while I know the OP is quoting a John Lennon song, it is hard to do.
I know a woman that died recently and the pastor of the church where the funeral was to be held called her daughter to ask what song to play. Her daughter told them that the John Lennon song "Imagine" was her mom's favorite song.
Naturally, the church refused to play it because of that one lyric.
 ki1983
Msg: 46
Posted: 3/18/2010 4:26:44 PM
having religion is a good thing, but using religion for people's own prepose is a whole deferent story.

Religion gives people hope, restraint people from doing bad things. But some people used religion for their ambition, greediness. The holy war was not about "who is the real god", it was about gold, treasure, women, land, resource. It becomes a tool of politician to control people.

When you were a child, do you need your parents to tell you how to do things correctly or you just know how to do it? Lets think the entire human as a 10 years old child, he knows something, but not everything, don't you think he should be guided by someone or something greater? Look what we did to this planet... do you still consider religion is a bunch of hogwash.
 mcalgary
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 10:18:03 PM
^^^^

excellent post ki. Right on the mark.
 Corner GasGuy
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/27/2010 10:37:17 AM
Circumcised son at home.

By ANDREA WOO, VANCOUVER SUN March 26, 2010.

METRO VANCOUVER β€” A Metro Vancouver man who circumcised his four-year-old son at home with a razor blade and blood coagulant meant for horses was sentenced Thursday to one year in jail followed by two years probation.

The man, identified only as DJW due to a publication ban, was found guilty in B.C. Supreme Court in October of criminal negligence causing bodily harm.

On Wednesday, prosecutor Daniel Porte called for a jail term of 12 to 24 months followed by three years probation.

In April 2007, the man gave his son, DJ, honey wine before placing him on garbage bags on the kitchen floor. DJW then cut away the boy's foreskin with a razor blade.

As his son cried, the man sprinkled on him Wonder Dust, a blood coagulant meant for horses.

According to a summary of the case in Justice Marion Allan's October 2009 ruling, DJW, a former Jehovah's Witness, had told DJ the procedure would grant him "extra special protection from God" and allow him to eat Passover lamb, ice cream and pick all the movies he wanted for a week.

DJ eventually had to be taken to hospital, where the circumcision was completed.

DJW initially claimed a religious exemption but dropped the argument based on the judge's finding that the procedure wasn't performed with reasonable care, his former lawyer, Doug Christie told The Vancouver Sun in October.

The summary of the case also noted that in late 2004 or early 2005, DJW circumcised himself, using Band-Aids, peroxide and a roll of gauze and a clear plastic ring, which he believed would act as an anesthetic. The procedure left his penis infected.

DJ and his sister now live with their mother and DJW is banned from seeing them.

Another BELIEVER commits an insane act in the name of RELIGION.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2010 2:33:24 AM
"Secular Humanist" is not a term referring to any cohesive group or doctrine; is merely a way of defining non-spiritual atheism in non-religious terms.

"Secular" means without church or temple or spiritual leadership: "Humanist" means, in this context, human-centred - i.e., not putting any gods at the core of our lives.

There are secular theists who believe in a deity but not any religious leadership or church, and others like Unitarians and Buddhists who have strong moral affiliations but no convictions on the existence of gods.

There are two reasons why this term often causes confusion:

1. Many confuse "humanism" with "humanitarianism," to the extent that for many decades, most dictionaries now list "humanitarianism" as a secondary meaning for "humanism."

Note that both religious leaders and animal rights activists, citing the more established meaning of "humanism," denounce it as a sin or crime. It is to this day listed as a formal and mortal heresy by the Catholic church, and the pope regularly rails against humanism and its influences in the modern world.

2. When the draft was being attacked in the US, the courts were only allowed to recognize Conscientious Objectors whose refusal to fight was based on religious belief. Opponents of the draft - and religion - deliberately took a suit to the US Supreme Court demanding atheists be eligible for CO status by describing Secular Humansm as an established religious doctrine.

It was a deliberate stretching of the definition of religion as a step along the way to the eventual ruling that ANY strongly held moral belief, even one not generated by any particular philosophical or religious group, could justify Conscientious Objection. Decades after that battle was won, proponents of religion have used that campaign to tar atheists as members of a faith.

Atheists, Freethinkers, Secular Humanists and all manner of other Unbelievers are rooted in DOUBT, not faith, and THAT is what defines them.
ED BEAR
{faithless}
 Sweetpea624
Msg: 51
Posted: 4/22/2010 10:35:05 AM
I shudder when I think of all the atrocities committed ( and still being committed) in the name of religion....Christianity included. Some people need "faith" in one form or another to keep their life focused. I can respect their beliefs, but how many respect my lack of "faith"? Why do we need a belief in a "higher power" to give our life meaning?
 Pallaskrivum
Msg: 52
Posted: 4/28/2010 5:47:21 PM
lol religion

Don't have time for imaginary shit like this. Get real.

But sure, whatever keeps people sleeping soundly at night, in the assurance that a large angry pixie in the sky is watching them.

Also religion/no religion life will remain the same. All about people etc
 Sweetpea624
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/28/2010 10:00:21 PM
From today's Calgary Sun:

(Copenhagen) A study called "The Power of Charisma", shows that when believers listen to people deemed to have religious authority, the part of their brain responsible for skepticism becomes less active. The study was published in "Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience".
 rockondon
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 4/30/2010 12:28:39 AM

β€œIt's not 100 per cent that it is Noah's Ark, but we think it is 99.9 per cent that this is it,” researcher Yeung Wing-Cheung told Agence-France Presse.
They found the Ark again? How many times have people found this ship now. It seems like every time a fundie trips on a log they insist it must be the mast to Noah's ark.

Without religion, ordinary people would not believe in ridiculous stories like the Noah's ark myth. A rational mind would take pause when considering the absurdities one would have to swallow to accept this tale, such as...
- millions of animals on a boat...for about a year....nuff said
- what if after a few months some of those animals want to like...eat something. Did Noah store a billion tons of food in the freezer.
- try picturing an australian snail cruising across the continent and when it reaches the ocean it says "hey, I won't let this puddle get in the way...I'll swim to the middle east no problem!"
- creatures that live in arctic temperatures will be similarly excited about languishing in the hot, dry, middle east.
- tyrannosaurus got along fine with all the animals, despite months of starvation.
- after all the dinosaurs died, their corpses buried themselves below more contemporary fossils to fool us logical types into thinking they didn't live at the same time as us.
- with all the plants submerged, what if the animals wanted to something crazy like...breathe oxygen.
 adora71
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/3/2010 12:45:06 AM
I don't think that religion itself is bad. It is true that people do horrible things in the name of religion. Also, many people follow blindly and don't question religious dogma with proper skepticism. However, most world religions have a lot of good ideas embedded within them--kindness, fidelity, charity, and many other great virtues. When people go to their house of worship, they are reminded of those virtues. It is always a good thing, because we sure don't get it from T.V. or pop music. Non-religious people may get their reminders from thoughtful books, or their children, or their partners.
Most religions also espouse the idea of taking time to regularly meditate and pray. Everyone needs to be quiet now and then to take stock of what is really important. While I don't embrace any religion, I do embrace the idea that we have a soul and I think that religion can nourish that soul.
Some people have done bad stuff for religion, but a lot of good has been done too. Have you ever met a truly devoted nun? I knew a nun once who spent all day every day helping people--it was her calling. She didn't judge or preach. All she did was help people in need. I didn't even know she was a nun until I'd spent almost six months working with her. I just thought she was an extraordinary woman. Did her religion help her to be extraordinary? The jury is still out on that one.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Imagine There Is No Religion