Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Not settling for just any
Msg: 23
DRIVING IN THE SNOW......Page 4 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
hello out there
i happen to check the forums and came across this one.

got down to STARTNOW 's comment and had to respond.
THIS IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE OPINION OF OTHERS

first of all, lets get something straight. there are vehicle operators and there are drivers.
definately a big difference. those who can drive know to slow down to a speed that is
reasonable in the conditions. 80 k's is fine on a normal day, but with hard pack snow its
not a good idea. BUT!!! at around 10 pm sunday night, there was some bozo going about
20 k's on 152 southbound. Dont people realize that going that slow on a road that wasnt all
that bad at that time is just going to add to problems??? traffic was doing mainly 50 and
60 k's at that time, stay up with the traffic. IF YOU CANT HANDLE BAD CONDITIONS,
STAY OFF THE ROAD!!! As it was snowing all day, its not like they got caught in it.

so for you that just point your vehicle and look as far as the next bumper or 10 feet in front
of your own and think that those mirrors are there to see how pretty you look, go find the
N (NOT A CLUE) or L (LOSER!) stickers. Look far ahead, know whats behind you. dont tailgate
the semi truck (you cant see past his bumper can ya??) and by all means, as you seem to
be getting instructions on how to operate your vehicle via cell phone, they arent helping
your situation - so call them back later.

As for me, i know my vehicle, and any minor problems it may have, and adapt to them.
So for those DRIVERS out there, I'm sure you understand what I have been talking about.
for those who can barely operate their vehicle, if you didnt learn anything, you are just
clueless forever.

Thats my rant, let's all do keep up with the traffic flow, quit giving up the right of way,
and when someone tries to push their way ahead in line, dont reward them by letting them,
dont let them. then maybe they wont be doing that as they sit there wishing someone would let them in. (or get through that red light that turned green and still going through).

Yeah, crappy vehicle operators annoy the shiiit outta me!
 Walts
Msg: 24
DRIVING IN THE SNOW......
Posted: 11/27/2006 7:23:18 AM
^^^^^ And the day is just begining,,,lol. So true, so true thou. If you are in any way shape or form scared to drive in these conditions,,,,then do everybody a favour and leave the car at home and take transit......or just stay at home period. I just had to push a lady out of a snow bank this morning while I was shovelling the driveway for the umpteenth time. She tried to stop at a stop sign and slid right thru the intersection. She took my advice and turned her vehicle around and parked it in her driveway just a block away.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/27/2006 12:46:37 PM
Not because I'm uncomfortable with myself as a driver, but I'm uncomfortable with other people on the road and their ability to drive in this weather.

^^^^^^^^ exactly why im indoors

oh and i have to add, while coming home from a relatives bday party at 10 pm, came across a suv right side of the road with emergency flashers on............and a mother with one tot in her arm and the another holding onto her other hand next to her suv.......IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD!!! Please dont be that stupid people!!

Whitetigeress
Msg: 36
Posted: 11/28/2006 9:42:32 AM
omg.. the parents at my son's school!!!!!!!!

1) do NOT stop on the road to let your kids out
2) do NOT stop in the middle of an intersection
3) do NOT stop on the crosswalk
4) do NOT block entrance to school lots
5) do NOT drive if you dont know the proper ettiquent (sp) of driving!

me and another parent had to actually direct traffic and tell them how to drive lol
sheesh.. rant over

meanwhile my kidlet really enjoyed the ride on the tobbagan on the way there and back.. lucky kid!
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/28/2006 12:04:04 PM
I drive a van that has rear wheel drive so it is mainly one wheel drive and have had zero problem getting around. The only hard time I have is getting around all the stuck SUV 4X4s , they don't seem to understand that 4 wheels sliding doesn't help you go or stop!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 11/28/2006 2:01:28 PM
Kitty Litter does not work!!! Sand bags are the way to go.

"All-season tires" is a mis-nomer. If you don't have good quality winter tires you shouldn't be on the road...there ought to be a law!

Drive very slow going downhill...do not drive slow going uphill...if you loose traction, your done for, along with whomever is behind you.

If you can't be bothered to clean the entire vehicle of snow, then don't bother to drive.

The first snowfall of the year, I find an empty road, and practice!

Things I never leave home without:
Steel Spade Shovel
Sleeping Bag
Sand Bag
Flashlight
Candles and Matches
Food
Enough winter clothes to keep me warm at -30C if I have to walk for help.
 Walts
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/28/2006 3:46:25 PM

there is still black ice everywhere

There is NO such thing as black ice!!!!! Now,,,there would be ice on blacktop(that would be asphalt pavement) or there would be ice on concrete. Any ice I know of is usually pretty clear unless of course there is dye in the water before it freezes.

"Black" ice,,,,,just a pet peeve of mine
 One tall mama*
Msg: 53
Posted: 11/28/2006 7:09:00 PM
Well...... Hopefully all the snow will be gone in a week in a half... Im making the long dreadfrul drive back from Ontario to BC...

I fear driving thorough the Mountains when it's snowing... I will be praying for RAIN!!!
 XrayAndy
Msg: 54
Posted: 11/28/2006 7:16:15 PM
<<<< Nothng stops my truck in the winter.......no really, nothing stops it, it just keeps on sliding!!
 XrayAndy
Msg: 56
Posted: 11/28/2006 9:10:28 PM
^^^^another thing that might help is having a Ford over a Dodge(just kidding Dodge)
 XrayAndy
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/28/2006 10:12:32 PM
Hey Juicy, with the car not running and the key on, try your squirter, you should hear the pump, if the lines are frozen youll have to thaw them out inside a garage to clear them, running the car wont do it. hopefully the lines arent split, or more commonly, popped off their fittings. Good luck and good for you for actuall practicing in a parking lot, very commendable!!
 XrayAndy
Msg: 62
Posted: 11/29/2006 12:07:50 AM
yeah if you dont hear the pump, its toast or frozen. Look at the bottom of your resevoir and you should be able to remove the pump and take it inside. Hope this is helpful, Im better at bodily functions than mechanical ones, but I get by!
Talk to you later,
Andy
 Outdoor2
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 11/29/2006 3:36:10 PM
If your going to put sandbags in the back of your truck, they should be over the wheels.

A few things to keep in mind:

Sandbags really only work for traction when accelerating in a straight line.

Too much weight can actually be more dangerous for several reasons.

Longer distance needed to decelerate.
If you fishtail, the added weight will actually increase the degree of the swing...remember inertia from highschool science?
If the weight is not secure in one spot, those wild swings may actually increase as the bags slide around.

I have 4 patio stones in the back of my Ranger. At one time I had 6 stones...driving was hell!
 Fishfancy
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 11/30/2006 9:24:07 AM
Here's a little story...yesterday I was driving my Jeep in 4X4 down the bad sheer ice section of Highway 1 to Abbotsford....the next thing I know the back end starts swinging back and forth. /...well that turned into a complete 360 on the highway leaving me in the slow lane facing a semi truck and crashed into a meridian.....think fast...1st gear and gun it to get out of the way of this oncomming semi...now that was some quick thinking that probably saved my life...the jeep has a crashed up back corner but it could have been so much worse....my gaurdian angles were watching over me ....that's for sure...and I never lost my head...
Fishfancy
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 74
Posted: 11/30/2006 10:04:49 AM
i'll say it again

just stay indoors till it clears

ps.....what idiot would allow his kid to make snow angels in a parking lot??!!!
 Walts
Msg: 83
Posted: 1/10/2007 8:23:15 AM
Snow Update,,,and ummm the driving out there. Well, I tried to get across to New West this a.m to drop the daughter off at school but,,,,nadda!!! King George Hwy is a parking lot from at least 100 th Ave to the Patullo. Another reminder that if you don't like driving in the stuff, you should probably just stay home or try transit. I have had over 1 inch fall since 630 this morn.Careful out there.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/10/2007 8:50:20 AM
[King George Hwy is a parking lot from at least 100 th Ave to the Patullo.]

eeeeeeeeeeekkkk... well cubby woke up looking like death warmed over so its 'stay home tucked under the blankey' day

i would say about a good 3 inches now
<-----looks like someone will be making a comeback
 You go first
Msg: 100
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:05:55 PM
Winter Auto Crash Statistics just in from the Insurance Bureau of Canada:

94% of drivers - just before they slide off snowy roads into ditches - say "Oh, @#$%^&!!!"

The other 6% are from Alberta and they say "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"

All completely and totally true, I swear.
 Xavery
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/17/2008 9:14:02 PM
It was pretty rough going today. I just drove in the city. My biggest problem was jay walkers, who need to realize it is hard for drivers stopping and starting in the snow. I also had to contend with some woman dressed all in black who ran in front of my car when the light was amber to end up crossing a busy intersection when the light was red. She was almost on my hood.
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 12:06:49 AM
oh my...I received a first hand lesson last night to pull over and wait for the snow storm to stop, or at least taper off. We were coming from Ft. St. John last night and drove through a horrid storm, no visibility and the snow just dumped on us. We were pretty shaken for the first 3hrs of the trip and very happy to get 3/4 of the way home and finally find bare pavement.

I think if you don't know how to drive to the conditions you should stay home. We passed numerous people in the ditch..watched one truck hit the ditch. Thankfully we didn't leave 3minutes later or he would've taken us out with him.

Snow means slooow drive. Leave earlier if you are in a hurry!
 Merrylass
Msg: 106
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2008 7:20:45 PM
Numero uno secret: stay off highways and drive in lower gear.
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2008 12:52:11 AM
For gosh sakes...whether you drive a standard or an automatic transmission...just freaking Gear Down to say... 2nd Gear...and take it slow....stop spinning your wheels and getting nowhere.

slow down...don't drive if you don't have decent tires.
Park your car on a cleared road...and walk to your destination.
Don't get onto a road that is not cleared of snow.

I don't own my lil VW anymore..but that lil car could get me up the steepest hills and thru the heaviest snow ....all I did was shift to a lower gear and take it slow.
 genuine29
Msg: 113
view profile
History
Posted: 12/23/2008 11:37:51 PM
ive read through most of the posts and have found some good tips ( ie. using your gears to aide in control ) and some just horrid ( pumping your breaks? most cars manufactured past 1995 have abs. they dont stay fully engaged and bacically pump the breaks for you. pumping the beaks negates the safety feature )
with this cold snap use winter tires. they have a softer rubber compound and mantain traction at a much lower tempatuer than all season ( loose traction below -7. the rubber in the tires goes rock hard and the treads cant flex to give you traction. )
the best tip i can give anyone is to act like a goof for the sake of learnig. go to a slightly snow covered, deserted parking lot. makeing yourself lose control and then practiseing regaining it will help you understand what you need to do when you loose control on the road. it is far better to slip and slide around a parking lot for a few hours and get fusturated, trying to get the feel for how your car reacts in the snow than to find yourself out of control on the road and in the path of oncomeing traffic.
p.s if you skimp on your tires for your car it is just as bad as skimping on your health.
both can kill you.
drive defensive, safely and prepared.
 IncognitoGuido
Msg: 117
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:40:00 AM
Here is the best advice I can give people about driving in the snow today

DONT

There is too much accumulating too quickly and the roads are treacherous as hell. Stay home. Be with family. Be happy that it will be white for CHristmas and for those of you who havent finished shopping..... Write some I O U' S

I called all my staff this morning and told them to have a Merry Christmas and stay home. Not worth it
 Xavery
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/26/2008 11:00:15 AM
There are some really good driving tips here. I liked what messanger 109 said.

I am afraid that if my car/suv slides that I will automatically hit the breaks. It is almost reflexive. Therefore, I am very careful to avoid situations where I slide.

I hate it when a driver is behind me - almost tailing me and I can sense he/she wants to go faster. I just hold my ground for the most part, but it is hard not to feel pressured. It is important to drive at speeds we feel comfortable with.

My brother does a lot of highway driving and he always makes sure he has a full tank of gas so if he gets stuck, he can stay warm. I think this a good idea.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >