Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kailania
Msg: 184
Beware: eHarmony sucks...Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
thankyou for this info everyone.
i filled out a profile but did not yet pay.
i get tons of notices daily about men they say i should answer first questions to.
since i recently broke up with someone i was not ready to sign up for it..
but wanted to check it out.
it seemed kind of difficult.
and now that i read the things here..
i will forget it and save my money. besides it costs more than most others.
thanks again
k
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 186
view profile
History
Beware: eHarmony sucks...
Posted: 3/19/2010 9:01:38 AM
I joined eharm for a free weekend, and was matched with plenty of guys. I've met one IRL and he was awesome, sadly we just didn't click.
I don't think eharm is a total scam...like any dating site, u need to take it for what it is
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 187
Posted: 3/19/2010 9:54:29 AM

I cannot understand why any thinking, emotionally mature adult would surrender their pursuit of love along with their understanding of what and who they are attracted to into the hands of a computer and allow it to decide who is best suited for them.

I think a computer system COULD much better than many people who were looking for LTRs-only (heavily persona based).

With that said, yes, eHarmony sucks at their failed attempt. The driving force is money -- just as it is for all businesses; not compatibility. Compatibility comes second... but if you put a system in place in how it works where compatibility matching is 90% efficient, but it otherwise turns 30% of people off or having little activity, they'll choose the compatibility matching at 30% if it keeps 90% of people around more. Sure, a big company may sacrifice a little bit if it has a TON of full-time users, but you get the idea.

The point is -- if any people don't have enough potential matches, they'll run or want their money back... and they're not going to toe that line much.

I do think some people are BAD at choosing, though. They don't know how to read people off a profile... if they're hot, they'll be legally blind to real compatibility issues, and if they're so-so, they'll have the Hubble Telescope for eyes for potential compatibility issues. I think a "we'll match you" alleviates the pressure for some users, and can POTENTIALLY (if designed right) do a better job than those said people in terms of matching, and possibly a very good job overall in breaking down nominations.

eHarmony does not fall into that category, though. It's all warm-fuzzy marketing. :)
 xvermonter
Msg: 188
Posted: 3/19/2010 7:47:27 PM
eHarmony = eHowmany.....J/S

XV
 jdriver69
Msg: 189
Posted: 3/20/2010 7:17:34 AM
Got a free trial for this site twice (for 3 days each) and couldn't possibly have been more unimpressed. Even after taking their ridiculously long so-called scientifically proven compatability tests they still paired me up with several morbidly obese women when I probably answered 30-40 questions dealing with health and fitness and was very specific that was a huge factor in who I choose. There was only 1 match that I was interested in (and they only matched me with about 20 women in 3 days) and I messaged her and got no response. I don't think you can receive messages unless you're a member so the whole thing was really just a complete waste of time.
 farscapeprincess
Msg: 190
Posted: 3/20/2010 11:33:03 AM
I consider eHarmony a big scam, especially that "free weekend" BS. They bait you in until the end of the weekend and then you'll have to pay to see to continuing the messanging. But hate the canned e-mail responses back and forth. POF may not be perfect, but at least we can freely communicate without going through those millions of questions. I have to laugh at those commercials where they criticize dating sites that only give you a picture and a profile. I'd much rather make my choices from pictures and profiles rather than some computer sending me matches.
 cherryyblossom
Msg: 194
Posted: 3/22/2010 6:09:59 AM
Eharmony is very expensive and i have over 80 matches who have never replied. i only met one girl who is friends with me on facebook.
 OLIZAY
Msg: 195
Posted: 3/22/2010 10:45:49 AM
Free communication weekend is part of E-harmony's scam process during free communication weekend people sign up and make profile and if they never pay its's a win/win for Eharmony cause now they have that many more people to match paying customers up with and grow thier base of profiles. The loser is the people on E-harmony who pay that get matched up with non payers after the free weekend is over cause now your trying to communicate with someone who can't respond. Kind of depressing and sick for those who think that site might have greener pastures compared to others.
 fryan
Msg: 196
Posted: 3/23/2010 12:23:08 PM
I signed up for eharmony today. Not bad with the personality profiles and attempting to match people up. But I can't even see what my matches look like without committing to a $60 membership for 1 months.
 Daisey Duke ..
Msg: 197
Posted: 3/23/2010 6:21:56 PM
^^^^ ummmm...how about you save your 60$ and take me out for dinner and drinks .... real life is so much more fun

this message is too short ..... grrrrr
still too short.... what...i dont have all that much else to say LOL
 ka.Eden
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 4:48:55 PM
OMG--What a total waste of time.
Not sure whether to list in alphabetical or order of importance, so how about stream of consciousness:

1. Asks you how important something is (e.g., "height") but not what your preference is. So if your height is 5'4" it decides what the right height is for you when you have written it is important. That you like tall or short men is not even considered.
2. Allows no self-directed searching--just sends supposed matches to you (who knows if they are interested either)
3. Doesn't give any important info on the profile (employed or not, what their job is, are they divorced or separated, what race or ethnicity)
4. Requires opening up a whole new page to see each item -- every individual photo, etc. SOOOO slow.
5. User interface completely stupid and non user friendly -- can't do the most simple think like send an email without going through umpteen screens
6. Grossly over-priced
7. No open comment section on profile, so no way to read the person's real interest in being there, what they want in a relationship, etc -- or even see if they can spell and punctuate.

POF isn't exactly great -- but it's honest about what it is, and the price is free, so what the hell. Even match.com looks great when compared to eharmony--it lets you self-direct, search and has a fast and intuitive interface.

Do not believe the eharmony marketing and get lured in. It's all BS.
 jamisond
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/17/2010 5:09:41 PM
E-Harmony is terrible. The only people my age on there are really desperate. You would have to be to pay that much. The price is unreal! POF is the best one for sure because of the mere size of it.
 valenciacityx
Msg: 200
Posted: 9/17/2010 6:06:13 PM
internet dating, is one notch above dating off your TV.

ie hey that weather girl on channel 7 is cute, I wonder if she is single... no ring, I should email her !
 txredbull
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:05:39 PM
So can someone rate all of the ones that exist.

POF; eHarmony, Match.com, Zoosk, , etc., etc.
 _TALL_IQ2_
Msg: 202
Posted: 9/17/2010 9:12:52 PM
So can someone rate all of the ones that exist.

You could givem a go? Or better yet go IRL to your local social groups where you START with face-to-face
and have a much higher chance of success than behind a computer..
 Captain_Wayne
Msg: 203
Posted: 9/17/2010 11:52:58 PM
Personally, I think the eHarmony approach is faulty anyway. I do not want to hook up with anyone who is an identical copy of me in their likes, dislikes and hobbies. I want someone who can teach me something new and vice versa. Someone who is exactly like me would bore me to death in no time.
 readthedamnprofile
Msg: 204
Posted: 9/18/2010 5:24:06 AM
I never tried eHarmony, I found a match here years ago but, I have friends that have given it a whirl and all of them found it useless. They were either being matched up with men that lived in completely different parts of the country, or the world for that matter, or, they were being matched up with men that did not meet their criteria. One woman even got matched up with her own brother! Now there is a kick in the pants after paying good money to find a partner.

Once they get your credit card number it is also no easy matter to cancel your account I am told. Unless I knew of someone that had been successful on there personally I would not sign up for a paid dating site, either that one or any other. You might as well stick to the free one if you are only going to run into the same incompatiable people when you pay as when you search on your own for free.
 jamisond
Msg: 205
Posted: 9/19/2010 1:36:21 PM
Many of the paid site will put up fake or old inactive profiles of attractive women to lure in people into signing up and getting your money. I'm pretty sure many of the profiles on Match.com are fake. Thats why I don't use paid sites. Besides this one is the best site and its free.
 Apollodorus
Msg: 206
Posted: 9/19/2010 1:54:52 PM
I think paid site like eharmony are much better because you actually get people that actually want to meet and they are sane as well unlike here where the majority of people want you to wait weeks or even months to meet and then you find out they are fat mentally unstable fruitcakes who are not ready for a relationship but instead should check in too a mental institution.
 bmore_goat
Msg: 207
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2010 6:54:02 AM
I personally don't trust a dating site that will offer you a four free weekend days Friday-Monday and you get the offer on Sunday night. E-harm has done TWICE.
 horses44
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 9/26/2010 7:22:46 AM
Hmmmm, here is my take on this. I did the e-harmony thing years ago and signed up now...you guessed it (Or maybe you didn't :)) nothing has happened, and I don't blame the site entirely. I do wish their were filters for say something such as height, (I am 5'11") and I have been sent matches with guys that are 5'4". I was sent a ton of matches when I first joined, now they trickle in every once in a while, but some of this is out of their control I think, if no one that fits the "criteria" has not joined, it is out of their hands. Personally I think the only thing they rely on is age and location. But hats off to them, they are still in business for what, 10 years? Must be doing something right

Now their cotton candy and rainbow commercials are appealing, probably why I signed up again. But I view it as another avenue to meet men, just like POF, the gym, market, etc
 dguy
Msg: 209
Posted: 10/7/2010 6:55:29 PM
I couldn't not believe how horrible that site is! The biggest waist of money...EVER!!

I give them 8points on their marketing though... if only the girls on the site were as attractive as the ones on the commercials!
 Archangel_07
Msg: 210
Posted: 10/8/2010 8:07:37 PM
I have better luck on here and facebook than paying dating sites lol.
 nate2110
Msg: 211
Posted: 10/9/2010 12:43:58 AM
I tried it a few years ago, had 1 match in the entire state and then the dude argued with me on the phone to not cancel.
It is a brilliant scam though.
 Littleone12484
Msg: 212
view profile
History
Posted: 10/9/2010 2:24:29 AM
I agree, eharmony is horrible. I'm currently on it until my subscription ends next month and I'll never waste another penny to that site. For as much money as they make you'd think they could filter out the non subscribers. Like another person said, they're good at first and send you a ton of matches, and everything seems great but then that stops, and you'll go days at time with no matches, and in my case after 3 or 4 days with no matches, I'll finally get maybe 5 matches, and out of the 5 only one will have picture, and their profiles are not complete which leads you to believe that they're just non subscribers. As for their free communication weekends, those are a joke, and not worth trying if you don't plan on paying, because you're only able to go through the first few steps of guided communication, but once you get to the last step where you can email, you have to pay, so the paying members get screwed if they like who they're talking to but it just ends because free communication members can't really communicate with you.

I'd say, stay far away from eharmony. I use POF and match, and I love match, at least they show when a person last logged in, and don't send you non subscribing members as matches, all the while pocketing your money.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >