Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StrwberryLips
Msg: 78
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girlPage 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Yeah I try not to let it bug me I saw this girl bethany the other day I don't even know who she is I went to school with her and she flat out hates me! What did I even do to her to get her to hate me???? I don't get it... Everytime I run into her like I did last year at a concert she just glares at me and she also whispered about me. I didn't do anything to her nor do I not know her at all what is her problem LMAO. I know her name yes but every time I run into her it's like I feel like I want to walk up to her and go what is your problem dude. But I ignore it I just realize she is just jealous but oh well her problem. I rarely see this girl so, it doesn't bother me I also have to tell guys when they ask me if I have a friend for there friend that I don't have any friends. When they says why I tell them the whole story by detail I don't know how else to explain it to them. I watched this show on lifetime called "odd girl out" I love that show now it is true, girls and people just put other people in misery because of there past. So I just ignored it though it did take me until like I was 19 to ignore it but I surrvived the mean people.
 Kiefer
Msg: 80
 garyo1954
Msg: 85
view profile
History
why is it hard for guys to date a deaf girl
Posted: 4/14/2005 5:47:16 PM
The biggest drawback to dating is trying to sign during sex.
 singledad13b
Msg: 87
Posted: 4/15/2005 12:42:16 PM
I would date a deaf woman that would not bother me
 BulldogMedic
Msg: 88
Posted: 4/15/2005 2:38:30 PM
I have enough trouble getting dates from any women, I'm not about to turn down someone cuz they're deaf. I already know the signs for turtle, cat, and toilet. What more do I need?
 garyo1954
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 4/15/2005 6:25:50 PM
Goofy, I wasn't serious you know. What I meant was it was hard to sign in the shower when you are having sex. Somebody has to hold the soap.

I would date a deaf girl. I have 40% hearing between two ears with hearing aides. And one ear doesn't work at all. Explaining to a deaf person what a clangor at a railroad crossing sounds like, is the same as trying to describe blue to a blind person.

But you know what wonderful is? It is hearing the sound of a keyboard when you never knew it clicked. That was me.

Yes I would date a deaf girl.
 discover
Msg: 91
Posted: 4/15/2005 6:44:32 PM

I believe that if a person is willing to take the time to learn to communicate, then anything is possible- that is applicable in any relationship really.

You're absolutely right. Communication is the key to any relationship.

I wouldn't find it hard to date someone who was deaf. In fact, I'd probably learn as much sign-language as I could before I'd ask them out! :)
 Domeroth
Msg: 96
Posted: 4/20/2005 8:30:43 AM
If the title is a serious question...

I've got to agree with the communication problem. But, so long as she could write on a peice of paper, or I could learn sign language, or find SOME WAY to communicate. I don't see why I couldn't.
 garyo1954
Msg: 101
view profile
History
Posted: 4/20/2005 5:34:30 PM
When is your flight to Texas arriving, goof?
 SarGasm
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/3/2005 10:21:13 PM
i've got no reason to discriminate...it's all about the person...not the problem.

years ago i dated a girl who was 80% blind. the only part where i laughed at her was when she told me i was the best looking guy she ever dated. maybe it was mean...or maybe i'm one hell of a hot blur!
 BulldogMedic
Msg: 108
Posted: 5/4/2005 12:44:49 AM
It's hard enough to date a hearing girl, too.
 lucky2206
Msg: 111
Posted: 5/13/2005 5:15:02 PM
because girls are very clever and they are mostly frud.
 vespa chick
Msg: 112
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:34:06 PM
Being a deaf woman myself .. I find people are intimidated .. too worried about" what could I possibly say?" ... can she understand the english language .. If people would just take the time .. they soon would "SEE" .. it's easier than it seems!
 vespa chick
Msg: 113
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:40:15 PM
How about a tap on the shoulder to get her attention? .. sure it may a second out of your time .. but taking that very second could mean alot to that woman! .. speaking in a clear voice without exaggerating your words .. use body language..facial expressions .. she's not daft .. she just can't hear ... even hearing people use gestures on a daily basis .. they just don't apy attention to them... go ahead give it try ! .. you may end up with your soulmate!
 vespa chick
Msg: 114
Posted: 5/29/2005 1:58:25 PM
Not sure I want to see anyone get a new ***hole ripped for themselves ... but hey totally "hear" ya!
 vespa chick
Msg: 115
Posted: 5/29/2005 2:03:33 PM
Not sure I want to see anyone get a new ***hole ripped for themselves ... but hey totally "hear" ya!
 Absalom
Msg: 116
Posted: 5/29/2005 7:04:46 PM
Well, I myself have perfect hearing and dated a deaf girl, We are still friends and keep in touch through email. My best friend married a deaf girl and has learned the language, they have 4 kids. I like deaf people, they are more honest than people who can hear for some reason. BTW, I myself learned sign language while in school and have been involved in efforts to help people with varying dis-abilities
 smith2267
Msg: 119
Posted: 10/14/2005 11:52:14 PM
I know a fair amount of sign language. Enough to carry a conversation.
I would date a deaf girl if I had the opportunity.
Never have, though.
 smith2267
Msg: 120
Posted: 10/14/2005 11:55:13 PM
>>" I like deaf people, they are more honest than people who can hear for some reason."

WAY true. Deaf people are disarmingly honest.
 smith2267
Msg: 121
Posted: 10/16/2005 5:44:37 PM
I took ASL classes alongside interpreting students, so we studied Deaf culture a lot.
I always figured the brutally honest thing was just a culture issue.
At any rate, it is very true.
If a Deaf person sees you for the first time in a while, and you have gained weight, he or she will blithely tell you so. :P
 smith2267
Msg: 123
Posted: 11/26/2005 8:07:16 AM
Harley, if you have a cochlear implant, the Deaf people I know would tend to consider you deaf, not Deaf. The capital D is the culture, the little d just means you can't hear.
Do you consider yourself part of the Deaf community? If so, do they accept you?

I have encountered much bias against cochlear implants in the local Deaf community.
 smith2267
Msg: 126
Posted: 11/27/2005 3:54:30 PM
>>>The last hearing guy she dated took her to see the Sound of Music!!!! What a putz!!!!

Yes, that would be deaf with a little d.
Deaf are not the least bit embarrassed that they can't hear. They don't consider it a handicap. As long as the movie had subtitles, or was interpreted, they wouldn't mind watching it.

Harley--I understand why they want their kids to be Deaf. And why they don't like the CI.
It has to do with their culture, and their beautiful language--and would not both die, if deafness were "cured"?
 smith2267
Msg: 127
Posted: 11/27/2005 3:57:29 PM
I think everyone should learn ASL. Hearing and deaf.
 dceeeee
Msg: 128
Posted: 11/27/2005 10:08:55 PM
Okay, I guess it's time for me to have MY say....I'm also deaf, although I never really considered myself as such until speaking up at these forums...just 'hard of hearing', although it is considered 'profound'. I wear 2 aids, and lip read extremely well. I also took ASL in college, although since I had no one to practice it with, I forgot most of it. My parents fought in court over whether I would join the deaf community and sign, or learn lip reading in a public school system, and my mom won, and so I learned lip reading, and mingled with the normal hearing folks. I honestly have no regrets about it.

As for the bit about driving better, if you go to another thread about the deaf, you'll see my experience with that and you'll know that there is at least one cop who will disagree.. LOL!

@NBL #62...Boy, you are right about the having to concentrate to hear. Phone calls were always the worse...I love the internet...it has become my 'phone'. It's so nice to be able to 'hear' without all the concentration that tends to take all the fun out of it.

One thing that I've never heard from any of my deaf compadres, is how nervousness affects hearing, at least on the phone. Is it only me? If I'd meet someone on line here who is going to call me, most likely I'd have a hard time hearing, maybe because I WANT so bad to make sure I hear, but after I know someone better, it's much easier. Of course, that could also have to do with the fact that after someone knows you, they are willing to work with you and make sure you hear, and you KNOW that...(Uh oh, I see this going full circle, because at that point you are relaxed) ACK! Am I making any sense???

What is SEE? I'm lost.

@Gary msg 98, & LLS msg 113, (and others following along the same lines)..who signs/writes notes during sex? C'mon! Most of us can hear/make moans and sounds, and aside from that, hands can be used to show what works and what doesn't, and words aren't needed to shift someones position. Like I said in another post, the only thing lacking is that I can't hear those 'sweet nothings' whispered in my ear, but it's my loss, not yours. (You can still whisper them...they don't require a response, do they?) I've never heard a complaint in this dept, and my sexual encounters have all remained long term.

@Smith msg 140, As for the honesty issue, I, too, am very honest...I've always described myself as "Probably the most honest person you've ever met". However, I DO have tact, and would not mention a weight gain. I wouldn't lie..I just wouldn't say something that would make someone feel bad.
........And msg 147, Are you kidding me? People actually WISH for their children to be deaf, so that sign language won't die? That has got to be the most selfish thing I ever heard of!!! If people want to keep ASL alive, do it by sign-singing...it is so beautiful, and you don't have to be deaf to appreciate it!!! Lots of things are kept alive for the Historical value, but to wish this on your kids, just isn't right!! (That's my opinion, anyway) My mom has always said that if she could have one wish before she dies, it would be for me to hear. (This is really more of an issue for her, than me). This is what unselfish love is about...
My daughter was born with hearing that is 'better' than most..(she can 'hear' lights in a parking lot!), and I'm so happy for her!!

@HarleyKat...good to see you again. I read this thread from the beginning, and kept thinking, "I wonder why HarleyKat isn't on here?" Then at the last page, there you are, and as usual, I'm in total agreement with everything you have to say.
 smith2267
Msg: 130
Posted: 11/28/2005 7:23:38 AM
I didn't say I agreed with the Deaf, Harley---I just understand their point of view.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >