Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 brighter2
Msg: 377
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?Page 19 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
with no-one.but spending tommorrow with alot of ppl....sons g/f.ex(what the) and of course my kids.but dont feel alone.but might new years where couples are kissing.....and im at a party of good friends that are all couples.m still dont think that would bother me.as can kiss the dog!...haha
 purplepaula
Msg: 378
view profile
History
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?
Posted: 8/28/2011 3:38:50 AM
In all honesty I hate being alone for holidays etc as all my family are deceased so I can't even fall back on them, yes I have friends but they have their own lives and family. I have been quite lucky so far at Christmas being invited to friends but I do dread the day I'm not if you know what I mean and also really miss going on summer holidays with a friend or partner as not a solo traveller at all and much prefer good company. Pauline from Preston.
 Natgoat
Msg: 379
Posted: 8/28/2011 11:48:15 PM
Just another day....like the last 20 or 30.....
I never even Baptized my Barbecue grill this summer...
It's No fun . . . . . Alone...!!
 RichenLosAngeles
Msg: 380
Posted: 8/29/2011 12:08:59 AM
Nat, if you lose that gut, let me rewrite your profile, then I'll turn you on to some of my "overstock".
 Quazi 100
Msg: 381
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 7:46:43 AM

Natgoat...

Just a clue....

Look at t few profiles of women in your age group....pick them at random.

Out of ten, how many are an attractive size 6?

I have dated a man who looked like Santa Claus, and a man who looked like Richard Gere....both were equally attractive.
 Bladesmith81801
Msg: 382
Posted: 8/29/2011 7:48:55 AM
I'll cry a lot.

Not very manly, but there it is.

My remaining family is in Florida, and because of my condition, I can't drive down on my own without it costing a fortune. And flying costs to much.

So, I'm sitting it out. Sucks, but there it is.
 trinity818
Msg: 383
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2011 11:45:35 AM
I've spent quite a few of them alone over the years. It helps if you can find other "orphans" to be with. We all associate holidays with spending time with the family.

The worst part was when people would ask me about my plans. They would look at me with pity and then the inevitable invite to spend time with them and their families. I tried to avoid admitting that I would be alone. They rarely let you get away with being vague. It would have been easier to just say I was spending time with friends.

Be especially good to yourself that day, and remember that it's just one day and there will be better ones in the future.
 viper1j
Msg: 384
Posted: 8/29/2011 1:52:21 PM

1-800-HOOKERS-R-US

"Alone" is a choice..
 meoowziee
Msg: 385
view profile
History
Posted: 8/31/2011 9:49:28 PM
what i do for the holidays is make dinner and have an 'open' invite to my friends and family and co-workers. many lonely people, or what i call them are holiday-orphans
 cinnarose
Msg: 386
Posted: 9/1/2011 9:45:38 AM
Solo holidays are the best.
 CapnRHHNY
Msg: 387
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 1:45:01 PM
I came to this post to get a few ideas on how to spend my time over the holidays. This will be the first "real" holiday season where I will be truly alone. No brothers and sister and their families - they are all out of state...and all of my friends will be gone for the holidays. It's only the middle of November and I'm already starting to dread the holiday season. I know, I know, I sound pathetic and sad. I should put on that stiff upper lip and embrace the season for all of the good that it stands for, but I find it tiring and discouraging. Am open for any ideas that could let me get through the season - with out spending an arm and a leg or getting put in the old crow bar motel to dry out...lol.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 388
Posted: 11/13/2011 2:08:56 PM
volunteer at a soup kitchen, or the salvation army, goodwill, the united way, etc. find someone to see a movie w/ on xmas, theatres are open, doesn't have to be a date, can be a friend of either gender, or an older person who is alone. Or be a "big brother" ...every area has an agency that puts together gifts for kids from a low income family, that can be rewarding & preparing a food basket for Thanksgiving thru a church...

have you ever been in a giant auditorium packed w/ toys, turkeys & trimmings & had to sort & wrap them? the more the merrier...

the reward may be a new friend or a like-minded nice lady
 viper1j
Msg: 389
Posted: 11/13/2011 2:57:27 PM
I was wondering how some of you folks feel about spending the holidays without a significant other.
does it make you want to "hurry up and find someone?
will you be depressed if you are boy/girlfriendless over the holidays?
do you go through your little black book and dig someone out of the past just so you won't be alone? OR...
don't care?

This will be my first holiday without the ex, or my best friend, so lots of scotch will be involved.
 KittenCatt
Msg: 390
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:06:15 PM

1-800-HOOKERS-R-US

Viper, you sneaky fink....I just dialed that number and you answered......"hooker" indeed......

ProcolHarem
Msg: 391
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 4:34:18 PM
I usually plan a great meal, watch some tv, have a decent amount of alcohol available, get myself drunk then take advantage of me.
So much the better if I wake up and find a $20 on my nightstand.
 CapnRHHNY
Msg: 392
view profile
History
Posted: 11/13/2011 7:06:53 PM
Thank you blondedevil. Those are some really good ideas. And, yes, in my area there a few organizations that take of those less fortunate to brighten their holidays. Sounds like a game plan.
 CynM
Msg: 393
Posted: 11/16/2011 6:02:20 PM
It will be just another day. Probably hole up in my sewing room, sew, drink lots of tea and espresso, listen to music (played loud) and try not to think of what I'd rather be doing.

As hemanstudofgod said - I'll be in a place that doing charity or being with friends can not touch.
 ladyleopard
Msg: 394
Posted: 11/16/2011 6:11:28 PM
I have never had someone to share a holiday with...New Year's, Christmas, Thanksgiving, 4th of July....it never bothered me when I was younger, but now that I'm 33, it's just downright annoying. I would seriously "rent" a guy to bring along to Christmas this year because I seriously think my family feels sorry for me (I'm the only one out of 30 cousins that isn't married). If it were up to me, I'd skip both Thanksgiving and Christmas this year, but I enjoy spending time with my 97 year old grandmother and everyone else (as long as they don't ask about my personal life).
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 395
Posted: 11/17/2011 9:43:48 AM
VERY few people are "alone" for the holidays, or any other time for that matter. Many people are "single" however and that's not even close to the same thing. Honestly there's no correlation between holidays and relationship status - outside of what Hallmark and the diamond companies would have you believe.

It's just another day. And it's usually a real short one, too. No worries.

Catch up with your friends, love your family and spend time with them, and try and do for others who aren't as fortunate as you are. In the end that's all that's gonna matter anyway.
 jazzlovervic
Msg: 396
view profile
History
Posted: 11/17/2011 1:15:44 PM
^^^^^I agree with this wisdom.
Although I really enjoy Thanksgiving, I haven't really been a fan of Christmas in quite some time...too much hoopla and forced "holiday cheer." When you are divorced and your children have grown, it puts things in a different perspective. Since the only certainty in life is change, I tend to go with the flow. So instead of staying home and wondering why I should bother to put up a Christmas tree alone, or spend money on needless gifts, I forgo the trappings and spend that money on a flight to Austin to hang out with my son. We go to museums and galleries, watch movies, see live music, take long walks, swim and go on road trips to oddball places. I've done this for the last three years and it has become our special holiday tradition! I now look forward to my "alternative celebration!"
 DrummingNut
Msg: 397
Posted: 11/17/2011 3:51:04 PM
Few months ago I moved to an area where I knew NO ONE.
(love it here!)
I have no 'friends' yet. A few light aquaintances is all, thus far.
I'm quite "alone" this year!

How am I dealing with it?
By telling myself there is nothing TO 'deal' with.
I am capable of having a good day alone today and I can on a holiday too.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 398
Posted: 11/17/2011 6:01:15 PM
CAPN STINK FISH- I've always hosted the holidays and have a house full of people.
That's not going to change just because I'm not married any more.
Surrounding yourself with friends and family are what the holidays are all about.
If you don't have anyone to come over for whatever reason, volunteer at a soup kitchen that feeds the homeless at Thanksgiving. it's a sober reminder of what it means to truly have nothing, plus it feels good to help people.
 Quazi 100
Msg: 399
view profile
History
Posted: 11/18/2011 11:35:27 AM
From DrummingNut....

Few months ago I moved to an area where I knew NO ONE.
(love it here!)
I have no 'friends' yet. A few light aquaintances is all, thus far.
I'm quite "alone" this year!
How am I dealing with it?
By telling myself there is nothing TO 'deal' with.
I am capable of having a good day alone today and I can on a holiday too.

Yep...

That was me five years ago....and four years ago too..... it's all in the 'frame of mind'....not a biggie!

viper1j
Msg: 401
Posted: 11/18/2011 1:04:01 PM

Viper, you sneaky fink....I just dialed that number and you answered......"hooker" indeed......

What? I thought the prices I quoted you were very reasonable..
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?