Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gentlyplease
Msg: 199
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?Page 4 of 21    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21)
Two years ago I was very very sick, yet out of that came a realization that I needed to change my life and I did...that meant no more b/f, and altho I still get sad over the holidays, I AM happier in the long run. I have great friends I am spending christmas eve with and I am working tomorrow...I am thankful to be alive.

Merry Christmas everyone...the best is yet to come.
 GentleMiles
Msg: 204
ALONE FOR THE HOLIDAYS? how are you dealing with it?
Posted: 12/24/2006 4:57:19 PM
I just had to respond.. lol thanks for the tune.. " Love Actually" is becoming one of my fave christmas movies. I especially like the end scene where Liam Neison's step son is planning to go after the girl he " loves" in spite of the obvious hurdles... and he looks at his dad and announces. " ok. dad. lets go get the shit kicked out of us by love" lolol

aptly put..

Isn't it great to be in the game !
 motownmaniax
Msg: 206
Posted: 12/24/2006 5:06:40 PM
I had a long-term relationship break up on Christmas Day about eight years ago, so forgive me if this time of years doesn't bring up fond memories of a significant other.

dguy4u247
Msg: 209
Posted: 12/24/2006 6:19:03 PM
WAAAAWAAAAAAWAAAA....big deal.....I met a 23 year old guy yesterday that will spend his first Christmas without his legs....got them blown off in the war.....they let him come home for the holidays instead of being stuck in Walter Reed.........stop whining
 milo99
Msg: 211
Posted: 12/24/2006 6:49:33 PM
Family and friends...that's all you need. A few bottles of wine wouldn't hurt either...LOL

freedome
Msg: 217
Posted: 12/24/2006 8:21:12 PM
I pretty much care later. Work through the holidays. No big deal. Great to make money. Get together with friends a couple weeks later. When the Hype is down..
Merry Crhistmas all... and to all a great night...
 freedome
Msg: 218
Posted: 12/24/2006 8:31:25 PM
dguy4u247: That's not funny...
Merry C
 motownmaniax
Msg: 220
Posted: 12/24/2006 9:25:55 PM

I met a 23 year old guy yesterday that will spend his first Christmas without his legs....got them blown off in the war.....they let him come home for the holidays instead of being stuck in Walter Reed.........stop whining

Certainly puts things in perspective, doesn't it dguy.

Btw, my fast fingers put an extra "s" at the end of "year" in my earlier post....hate it when I can't fix typos!!
 pebbles_2006
Msg: 222
Posted: 12/24/2006 10:48:11 PM
i can relate to that motownmaniax... read my thread....
 Iowapaperboy
Msg: 225
Posted: 12/25/2006 12:57:10 AM
Actually, I've been alone for every holiday in the last six years, and now, I look forward to it.

I have a three day weekend to enjoy doing whatever I want. Today, I slept til 2 p.m., cruised the net for my next motorcycle, cleaned the house, played some video games, made an awesome roast with all the fixins, took a 30-minute hot shower, sat by the fireplace (with a fire in it) for a while, downloaded some of my favore 80s hits and finished my first 39 hours of being smoke free.

Still, I'd love to go Christmas shopping with someone next year.

-IPB
 crossmovement
Msg: 227
Posted: 12/25/2006 1:05:03 AM
Personaly, I dont let the " lonliness " consume me, if I let it consume then its not pretty. Rather I tend to stay busy, surround myself with others whether it be my Church family, family or friends. Even study, jam out or something ya know. Fillin the voids with possitives is always a good thing.
 quietstorm8
Msg: 228
view profile
History
Posted: 12/25/2006 3:29:48 AM
yes we should all feel for the 23 yr old without his
legs....
as a person who believes in reincarnation
i want to also add we might'v been in his position in a previous
life.
the point is no one's pain is less or more than
any other person's, lets just all respect and support
each other,no matter what painful
place she happens to be on the road we all travel on,,,,,,,,
 dguy4u247
Msg: 230
Posted: 12/25/2006 6:07:25 AM
Didn't intend for it to be funny...jeeezzz I wanted to put things in perspective
 nonsensical
Msg: 237
Posted: 12/25/2006 9:19:51 AM
The turkey is in the oven, the wine is chilling, the table is set, when everything is ready I plan on giving thanks for all that I have been blessed with then I am going to eat too much, drink too much and call myself every name in the book tomorrow when I am at the gym! MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
 Ron9
Msg: 241
Posted: 12/25/2006 2:15:30 PM
If I was having any more fun rebuilding my self esteem/confidence ... someone would deem it illegal and lock me up.

I am so looking forward to my future.

Sguss
Msg: 247
Posted: 12/26/2006 4:00:58 PM
Like I do every day being alone. Taking it one day at a time and enjoying myself with whatever may be thrown my way. For the weekend here I spent it watching movies - both new releases and old favorites. For next weekend I will be spending it with some friends most likely.

Holidays can be hard, but only if you let them be hard.

Sam
 Mishka7325t5
Msg: 248
it was Great !!
Posted: 12/26/2006 4:17:07 PM
I didn't have to buy anyone anything but my dog. I made a fruit salad , read my Biopsychology book, and listened to the messages of someone that contacted me four weeks ago on some dating site telling me for the past 12 days of Christmas that sometime she'll make the decision to meet at a cafe so we can talk but right now she's to busy with the kids and her Family and doesn't feel she's ready to me yet because I am from an internet dating site and she worries about her past experiences making me the scapegoat for thier indisgressions. Her loss.
 Going_To_My_Grave_Alone
Msg: 250
Posted: 1/15/2007 7:10:28 AM
I watched Star Trek movies all Xmas day. Cried a lot over the holidays and watched college football. Cried some more. Busted my butt at work on New Year's Eve and Day and cried even more on my birthday a week later.
 tllynn
Msg: 252
Posted: 12/19/2007 10:31:38 AM
I am gonna wear my old sweats, drink cheap beer, leave my hair a mess, watch Sex and the City reruns, and celebrate the fact that I don't have to deal with any buttholes. Falalalala
 MelloDLyn
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:30:42 AM
I never seem to have a significant other for any hoilidays. It has been along time. I hate being alone over the holidays and my kids are always with their dads. My short term goal from halloween was to find someone to date by xmas but I guess times running out. Wow I only have till sunday to make mon plans. There has to be alot of lonely people out their over the holidays. No I don't just go thru my phone and look up guys so I'm not alone. I will prolly rent movies and eat tv dinners and drink asti. Sound fun?
 fancynanci
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:41:32 AM
I won't be alone....but...I have been alone during the holidays before and it can be quite lonesome. Just remember to be thankful for those around you who love you. Remember, your glass is half full - - not half empty! Cheers!
 motownmaniax
Msg: 257
Posted: 12/19/2007 11:57:10 AM
Well, speaking from a guy's pov, with a dating site full of fun, gorgeous, scintillating women you'd have to be blind and typing-challenged not to have at least ONE meeting lined up over the holidays?

Mo
 lancelotfl
Msg: 258
Posted: 12/19/2007 12:04:42 PM
There's a difference between being alone and being lonely. Think about it for a moment. If your entire life depends on having someone to love and you do not have that someone in your life, is that healthy? Do you feel depressed, down and cast adrift?

Loving and being loved is certainly a wonderful experience, and it's even better if the person loved is going to be part of your life for all of your life.

So, what's worse? Being alone for the holidays or going through serial relationship breakups because you keep making bad choices out of lonlieness?

Put some interests in your life. Get involved in thinking about something other than how alone you are. Have interests that you can later share with that special someone.

I'm alone,but I'm far from lonely.

Best regards,
Michael
 motownmaniax
Msg: 264
Posted: 12/20/2007 5:47:17 AM
Powerful post, BadBoy.

Yes, it IS a tragedy so many people are truly alone and lonely at holiday time. As intelligent humans we're not completely powerless, though.

Unless physically unable, there are things people can do if they're proactive enough and take the initiative. I live alone and this will be at least my third holiday solo (could be more, the memory's a bit fuzzy -- maybe I'm trying to block out the heartache?...lol), but I have gotten involved by hosting POF meet and greet parties this year. I've got a NYE one coming up and planning on dancing up a storm and having a blast. I'm not saying this is everybody's cuppa tea, but there ARE community (whatever that could be) functions people can get involved with that may take some sting out of the holiday loneliness.

Mo
 wannabemarried
Msg: 265
Posted: 8/17/2009 5:16:02 PM
As for me I have spent several Christmas without a man I usually go and be with friends or this year I was thinking about joining a singles volunteer group in Austin Texas. I have seen emails go back and forth and this group of people have others over at their homes for the holidays and that seems nice. These people also do things together like moivies, bowling, dinner, and volunteer. I have always wanted to be with people who volunteer heard they are good people.

My daughter is in the Army so she will not be home and not too sure if someone will just show up at my door step anytime soon so I would guess a group of other singles or church.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >