Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > How many people will be spending Christmas without family?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bcboy72
Msg: 11
view profile
History
How many people will be spending Christmas without family?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Hmm...well this will be one of the few holiday seasons I will be with the family...only because my sister is coming home. I am blessed enough to see my family every day. A couple of days (holiday season) that I can get away....I take them...lol...Usually spent with friends.
If/when Cnote finally has my child...then it will all be different...

A buddy of mine and I used to spend the day together every year....find a city...go...hang out, drink a few beer..I should be getting that "where we going this year?" call soon...lol
 samadongshi2
Msg: 12
How many people will be spending Christmas without family?
Posted: 12/12/2006 9:44:36 AM
that's why i work @ the women's shelter on Xmas day. I love it!!! I get to play Santa, handing out the gifts and playing with the children.
My family of origin is scattered across the country.
I usually will have Xmas dinner out @ a nice resturant where we get dolled up.
Not sure what I am doing this year.
Last year, didn't work @ the shelter.
This year is going to be very strange without my father around and the siblings aren't coming into town.
I've always had Xmas with my ex's family in Wpg. and they put on a big spread.
This year is going to be one very strange Xmas and am not looking forward to it.
TTYL
 KIWI3nme
Msg: 13
Posted: 12/12/2006 10:18:10 AM
awwww this is sad you guys....my fiances family just got on a plane today heading off to panama for a month.

He was pretty pissed ill tell ya. Before he met me he would go with them to the carribean or a white xmas up country somewhere.So he will be with my family...but it will be his first without his mother and brother.

His dad and everyone else is in germany, but we got to see them for 2 weeks last xmas.
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 16
Posted: 12/12/2006 11:46:16 AM
Well, this year I get to do what I want Christmas Day. My girls will be going for dinner with their mom and her family at "Grandma's". Not sure if they will go the night before as we don't know if the "cousins" will be in town. They don't do a "tree" but we do and sometimes they all end up here for Christmas Eve.

I do know that I will be expected to do a turkey another day (I do better gravy, they say), so all is normal!

Nothing is quite as good as watching Scrooge or another "feel good" movies on the eve of the big day, lots of goodies and treats, even the cat gets a stocking!

I suppose I have been really lucky as even the year my Mom and Nana passed away I have never had a sad time at Christmas. The good memories of fun times, always wins out!
 hywman3p
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2006 1:45:22 PM
Umm This year I'm NOT COOKING but will be alone-although friends have asked me to Xmas Dinner I'm thinking might be nice to curl up with a few books-coffee-movies maybe just simmer up a cornish game hen to munch on-Umm that plate of cheese,crackers&danties All for me lol For years being a single father was great now should be able to enjoy time alone,don't get me wrong here,would Much rather spend time with a lady with whom there was a bond or family but thats not in the cards.{So far lol} Maybe Santa has a suprise for me lol.
So to all you fishies The Merriest of Xmas's Enjoy the day--It's only once a year
 who_the_fox
Msg: 20
Posted: 12/12/2006 4:20:06 PM
I will likely get turkey dinner the same place as usual

Dennys
 Not settling for just any
Msg: 21
Posted: 12/12/2006 4:41:24 PM
speaking of turkey... guess i have to order one .. got a fresh one last year, wont go back to frozen

since leaving the ex, christmas is just another day. i have gone to my moms with the kid for boxing day christmas. mom does christmas at my sisters and my kid does it at his moms, so i get boxing day.

on the pro side of it. i havent had to do christmas dinner with the ex's inlaws... a blessing in itself ..

so i never feel bad on christmas, i just remember THOSE christmas dinners with the inlaws.. lol

*this christmas i am gonna be shining up and tinkering with my bike... the bike show is in january and i want it all in tip top shape and looking spiffy for the warmer weather. * i would say spring but with the heated vests *if i buy one* .. then any time can be a good time for riding .. .WHOOO HOOOO

lowflyingobject
Msg: 27
view profile
History
How many people will be spending Christmas withoufamilyt ?
Posted: 12/13/2006 7:07:58 PM
umm not sure.... I always make xmas dinner, turkey, ham, meat pie...all the fixins.... yeah ok scooter I will have lots of leftovers.... my kids are suppose to be here, but you never know anyhow most times only for the meal then off to friends. So yeah the cats and I will probably have another xmas to ourselves and sort of have since my x left...but no probs.... will enjoy the time I get with them.... Hope everyone has a great one tho... and see who they want to and love...
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/13/2006 11:45:59 PM
What about a posting for people who want to host a small gathering/s with other fish who may be available for a fun day of Christmas fun?? Or we get someone to co-ordinate a few parties for people around the Lower Mainland???

What do YOU think??

*ScorpioSweetiepie*
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/14/2006 12:04:38 AM
^^^^awe..

and yes it is a good idea...
 andiedandie
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/14/2006 5:40:07 PM
Ok Pof'ers... Adopt a POFer if you can! No one should ever be alone on X-mas or the holidays!

Think its great that some of you are already making plans to spend with each other, as you would be alone otherwise...you know who you are...and will be in my thoughts as I spend x-mas on the island with my family.
 Fishfancy
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2006 6:35:35 PM
I also feel out of place with other peoples families. I think a good old fashion pot luck is in order....I have a table that will fit 12-14 people and I am a good cook. I am in New West and would welcome all that have no families...as I don't have family either. No one will feel out of place because we have our own kinda family. Lots of Rum/egg nog and food and I even have places for people to sleep....couches and an 2 air beds. as long as you don't mind animals...dogs and cats. Just an idea...my house is 1922 so it has a heritage feel....if this is a go I may even put out all the santas and christmas cheer.
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/14/2006 7:56:41 PM
Fish Fancy!!^^^ what say we do this? What do I bring? I do the best gravy and can be there early to help out! I am also a great cook!
 yayawhatever
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2006 4:53:23 AM
.. and here I thought I was the only one!

I moved away from home (Prince Rupert) almost four years ago, and have spent every Christmas since working mostly. I try my best to treat myself and get in the spirit. I always figured if I volunteered to work then someone with a family wouldn't have to.

I have thought of volunteering somewhere. It might be a good way to make myself useful to someone else.

I wish all the other only's not lonely's a very happy holiday!

Fishfancy
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2006 7:14:24 PM
OK my potluck is full with 14 people you carry on Cowgirl1111......part 2
Whooo Hoooo!!!!!! Can you feel the love? Tis the season....
Fishfancy-New West 'OUR VERY OWN CHRISTMAS DINNER' potluck hostess
For fish with no families...because no one should be alone at Christmas...unless they want to be...

NEXT YEAR I SAY LETS GET A HALL!!!!!!!
 DreamerĀ®
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/17/2006 9:06:57 PM

I always make xmas dinner, turkey, ham, meat pie...all the fixins.... yeah ok scooter I will have lots of leftovers....

I want to go to LFO's place for Xmas!! MOM can I come home for Christmas? hehehe
 lowflyingobject
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2006 9:27:02 PM
^^^^you know your always welcome here, anytime...actually not sure who will be here if anyone...but... I always make dinner....tradition is a hard thing to stop...
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 39
Posted: 12/18/2006 12:39:58 AM
Hey cowgirl, I guess all the people on this side of the river will be at your place and if it's ok, I will be there to help out with stuff.

Looks like the "country folks" are going to have a big Christmas dinner!

Just let us know who brings what and we will GIT'R DONE!!
 Bigandtalldancer
Msg: 41
Posted: 12/21/2006 12:57:54 AM
Great kelownabuddy! We are all so lucky to have friends, without them Christmas would be a little dimmer.
 oh _yes
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/10/2008 9:20:17 PM
It used to bother me, but iam used to it
you have to cont. with what you love to do
xmas,holidays,birthdays are never the same for me since my dad died of the bigg fruking Cancer....
i made peace with myself....VERY Important..
no stress.......dont let all the hub bub make you doubt yourself or what and who you are
just because its supposed to be the norm to be with family on special occasions
write your own life......what can i say..i did it works
 ~FlowerChild~
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/11/2008 9:09:53 PM
I am fortunate and blessed to have my adult children close for the holidays....Its not the same kind of Christmas as they had as children (the solid "family unit" being the only thing I miss from my marriage)......but instead of keeping all the same rituals and traditions....when I ventured off on my own.....I let Dad keep the traditons (he kept the house)....and I started new and fresh ones to enjoy with these young adults....I think it makes it less sad and bittersweet for all of us.....as a mater of fact.....I am looking at a lipstick red Christmas tree this year that I can fill with white fairy lights....Its always been the policy at my holiday table for the children to invite their friends who may be alone on the holidays....(doesn't matter how many.....I'll just make more stuffing....thats what they like best anyway).....It would break my heart to think of anyone I know alone....Giving at Christmas is what its all about.....and it doesn't have to be material or monetary.....the more you give.....the more filled up your heart becomes....its truly an amazing feeling....and no one ever has to be alone....soup kitchens all over the fraser valley would LOVE to see your smiling face (wearing a santa hat)....so many people are worse off than we are.......always

XHTML
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/12/2008 3:44:50 AM
It is far too early to predict in mid-October how I might be spending Christmas.
I know it won't be with family, the blood relations kind. There aren't many and they are distant.
It is unlikely I'll be getting married before then too.

I do hope and expect I'll be spending Christmas with friends. In the past I've been invited to the homes others. Now, thanks to POF, I have friends who may be facing Christmas alone and so it is likely I would invite some here, just as I'm having some friends over for Thanksgiving dinner on Monday.
 lea2007
Msg: 45
Posted: 10/12/2008 8:23:57 PM
Never me...I have 13 brothers and sister so its hard not to have one, two or all at Christmas time. Growing up it always felt like the Walton's...lol!
 Tiina
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 12/21/2011 1:51:08 PM
I have no family and have often spent Christmas Day alone since my mum died 11 years ago. This year one of my friends is coming for Christmas dinner and I am grateful for this, though in my heart of hearts I wish I had someone I really belonged to.
 lackingbait
Msg: 47
Posted: 12/21/2011 8:59:18 PM
I was on my own the last two xmases... the first year was just fine. never had a christmas alone before so on principal, I did it right. A breakfast scotch and cuban cigar anf then the entire day eating none to healthly food and guy movies. it was pretty damn good. Last year, the doing it on principal fad had worn off and I really just decided that being alone on christmas was BS and was not doing that again. So, this year I was planning to go to get a nice hotel downtown, check out Brian Setzer at the commadore on xmas eve and then xmas brunch and maybe skiing christmas day. I was was going to put my plan out on POF to see if anyone else wanted to get in on the festivities...
Then, I was with a long time friend a few weeks ago and we were about 3/4 into a bottle of rum when this very topic came up. She stole my creditcard, ran into her office, locked the door and booked me a ticket to phoenix to spend it with her and her family....non-refundable.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > How many people will be spending Christmas without family?