Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 smith2267
Msg: 3
Is coffee bad or good for you?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
It is bad in excess, like so many other things. It is addictive, and can cause heart arrythmias, gastric problems, and sleep disturbances.
However, caffeine has been shown to enhance learning, and has probably saved the life of many a sleepy driver.
 Whitetigeress
Msg: 9
Is coffee bad or good for you?
Posted: 12/13/2006 11:02:30 AM
motherhood = coffee

it's religion
 merrilyanne
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2006 7:21:58 PM
Coffee is bad for you. It causes migraine headaches and people don't even realize it. It is a diuretic and not good for your system. It affects everyone differently but lots of people have irritability, mood swings and intestinal problems from it, not to mention sleepless nights. It is like any other crutch - makes you feel good while you are drinking it, but later you feel crappy when it wears off and then that is why you have to reach for another one, and it becomes a see-saw for your system.
And all of that sugar and cream is not good at all. Just cut down at least on that, by decreasing the amounts you put in, slowly, and gradually you will get use to less and less. There are very few pure coffees - most have additives, dyes and flavourings that you are not aware of.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2006 7:01:01 PM
According to studies published in the JAMA, coffee is good for you. Below is part of the article plus a systematic review.

Coffee is not usually thought of as health food, but a number of recent studies suggest that it can be a highly beneficial drink. Researchers have found strong evidence that coffee reduces the risk of several serious ailments, including diabetes, heart disease and cirrhosis of the liver.

Consumption of Coffee is Associated With Reduced Risk of Death Attributed to Inflammatory and cardiovascular diseases in the Iowa Women's Health Study (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)

Content of Redox-Active Compounds (ie, antioxidants) in Foods Consumed in the United States (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition)

Coffee, Cirrhosis, and Transaminase Enzymes (Archives of Internal Medicine)

Caffeine Decreases Exercise-Induced Myocardial Flow Reserve (Journal of the American College of Cardiology)

Among them is a systematic review of studies published last year in The Journal of the American Medical Association, which concluded that habitual coffee consumption was consistently associated with a lower risk of Type 2 diabetes. Exactly why is not known, but the authors offered several explanations.

Coffee contains antioxidants that help control the cell damage that can contribute to the development of the disease. It is also a source of chlorogenic acid, which has been shown in animal experiments to reduce glucose concentrations.

Caffeine, perhaps coffee’s most famous component, seems to have little to do with it; studies that looked at decaffeinated coffee alone found the same degree of risk reduction.

Larger quantities of coffee seem to be especially helpful in diabetes prevention. In a report that combined statistical data from many studies, researchers found that people who drank four to six cups of coffee a day had a 28 percent reduced risk compared with people who drank two or fewer. Those who drank more than six had a 35 percent risk reduction.

Some studies show that cardiovascular risk also decreases with coffee consumption. Using data on more than 27,000 women ages 55 to 69 in the Iowa Women’s Health Study who were followed for 15 years, Norwegian researchers found that women who drank one to three cups a day reduced their risk of cardiovascular disease by 24 percent compared with those drinking no coffee at all.

But as the quantity increased, the benefit decreased. At more than six cups a day, the risk was not significantly reduced. Still, after controlling for age, smoking and alcohol consumption, women who drank one to five cups a day — caffeinated or decaffeinated — reduced their risk of death from all causes during the study by 15 to 19 percent compared with those who drank none.

The findings, which appeared in May in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, suggest that antioxidants in coffee may dampen inflammation, reducing the risk of disorders related to it, like cardiovascular disease. Several compounds in coffee may contribute to its antioxidant capacity, including phenols, volatile aroma compounds and oxazoles that are efficiently absorbed.

In another analysis, published in July in the same journal, researchers found that a typical serving of coffee contains more antioxidants than typical servings of grape juice, blueberries, raspberries and oranges.

“We were surprised to learn that coffee quantitatively is the major contributor of antioxidants in the diet both in Norway and in the U.S.A.,” said Rune Blomhoff, the senior author of both studies and a professor of nutrition at the University of Oslo.

These same anti-inflammatory properties may explain why coffee appears to decrease the risk of alcohol-related cirrhosis and liver cancer. This effect was first observed in 1992. Recent studies,published in June in The Archives of Internal Medicine, confirmed the finding.

Still, some experts believe that coffee drinking, and particularly caffeine consumption, can have negative health consequences. A study published in January in The Journal of the American College of Cardiology, for example, suggests that the amount of caffeine in two cups of coffee significantly decreases blood flow to the heart, particularly during exercise at high altitude.

Rob van Dam, a Harvard scientist and the lead author of The Journal of the American Medical Association review, acknowledged that caffeine could increase blood pressure and slightly increase levels of the amino acid homocysteine, possibly raising the risk for heart disease.

“I wouldn’t advise people to increase their consumption of coffee in order to lower their risk of disease,” Dr. van Dam said, “but the evidence is that for most people without specific conditions, coffee is not detrimental to health. If people enjoy drinking it, it’s comforting to know that they don’t have to be afraid of negative health effects.”

Coffee Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes

A Systematic Review
Rob M. van Dam, PhD; Frank B. Hu, MD, PhD

JAMA. 2005;294:97-104.

Context Emerging epidemiological evidence suggests that higher coffee consumption may reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Objective To examine the association between habitual coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes and related outcomes.

Data Sources and Study Selection We searched MEDLINE through January 2005 and examined the reference lists of the retrieved articles. Because this review focuses on studies of habitual coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes, we excluded studies of type 1 diabetes, animal studies, and studies of short-term exposure to coffee or caffeine, leaving 15 epidemiological studies (cohort or cross-sectional).

Data Extraction Information on study design, participant characteristics, measurement of coffee consumption and outcomes, adjustment for potential confounders, and estimates of associations was abstracted independently by 2 investigators.

Data Synthesis We identified 9 cohort studies of coffee consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes, including 193 473 participants and 8394 incident cases of type 2 diabetes, and calculated summary relative risks (RRs) using a random-effects model. The RR of type 2 diabetes was 0.65 (95% confidence interval [CI], 0.54-0.78) for the highest (≥6 or ≥7 cups per day) and 0.72 (95% CI, 0.62-0.83) for the second highest (4-6 cups per day) category of coffee consumption compared with the lowest consumption category (0 or ≤2 cups per day). These associations did not differ substantially by sex, obesity, or region (United States and Europe). In the cross-sectional studies conducted in northern Europe, southern Europe, and Japan, higher coffee consumption was consistently associated with a lower prevalence of newly detected hyperglycemia, particularly postprandial hyperglycemia.

Conclusions This systematic review supports the hypothesis that habitual coffee consumption is associated with a substantially lower risk of type 2 diabetes. Longer-term intervention studies of coffee consumption and glucose metabolism are warranted to examine the mechanisms underlying the relationship between coffee consumption and type 2 diabetes.

Author Affiliations: Department of Nutrition and Health, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands (Dr van Dam); Department of Nutrition (Drs van Dam and Hu) and Department of Epidemiology (Dr Hu), Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass; Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass (Dr Hu).
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2006 11:18:41 AM

all this looks like it's good for you, yet my local hospital has a notice that says to cut caffeine UNLESS YOU SUFFER WITH ASTHMA. It goes on to say that most Asthma medication is based on caffeine so Asthmatics shouldn't avoid it.

I won't worry about what hospitals say ... if you like coffee, drink it - I've been drinking it for years and am, according to my doctor, healthy as a horse ... I'll take that as a compliment.

If you or someone close is asthmatic and they have a severe attack and don't have their puffers with them, give them a strong cup of coffee as you're heading to the hospital. Did that with my oldest's ex-girlfriend on more than one occasion.
 Classic Chassis
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2006 3:06:35 PM

I have mild asthma, but my 4 year old gets attacks now and then. Maybe I should give her coke if she has an attack without her inhaler around? (usually I have it on me but its always good to know what else can be done)

Coke or Pepsi should work - it's the caffeine in the drink that alleviates an attack until you can get the inhaler or to the hospital. Just to be on the safe side, check with your doctor or the hospital to see if they think it might help your daughter if you don't have the inhaler with you.
 White_mask
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/29/2006 2:45:07 PM
not to say its bad but it does slow weight loss, if you must have it take no more than two cups a day, thats just what i read.
 .tiamat.
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2007 1:07:14 PM
No one has mentioned this yet - coffee, by itself, is good for you as long as you consume it within 7 days of roasting the beans. When it's fresh-roasted, one cup contains as much anti-oxidant as 6 oranges. It also tastes a hell of a lot better. Incidentally, once you grind it, the shelf life drops to 3 hours; once it's brewed, 15 minutes.

What this means is that 95%, or probably more, of the commercially available coffee out there is already stale. Keeping it in sealed bags doesn't help, nor does keeping it in the freezer. You won't catch me in a Starbuck's or a Tim Horton's for that reason, nor in any 'corporate' coffee shop. Give me the hole in the wall with their own roaster any day.

I'm personally very sensitive to the freshness of coffee. If it's stale, I can't drink it without having a physical reaction - jitters, anxiety, stuffy sinuses, stomach cramps. If it's fresh, I find I can drink a whole bodum-full and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. So I roast my own beans, or I get them from suppliers who roast daily, and I never buy more than I can consume in a week.

The other thing about fresh roasted beans is that they taste naturally sweet - you won't need to add sugar, so it's a lot easier on the diet. I drink my coffee with nothing but organic whipping cream. I usually have 3 cups a day, and I've been losing weight slowly but steadily over the past 3 years. I happen to like my whipping cream, but it's quite drinkable black as well when it's fresh, so there's no negative impact on your diet, your blood sugar, or whatever. It is a vasodilator though, so it can help with headaches if you're prone to that, and when you drink it black, it's naturally alkaline (becomes acidic when you add cream or sugar).
 .tiamat.
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2007 8:24:40 PM
I get mine from a local place, www.merchantsofgreencoffee.com - but google is your friend, and I suspect there are lots of places online where you can order beans and roasters.
 texasbaby
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 1/14/2007 11:23:42 PM
Good or bad,,, I don't care,,, I'm drinking it!!! Now I am absolutely sure it's bad for the people who live in my house,,,, if I don't have a cup in my hands 5 minutes after I wake up!!

tb
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >