Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 2
An online confession .. and a question =)Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
great question...
I always reply to an honest effort at mail (if he has read my profile its ovbious)...because i know it takes alot to pluck up the nerve to write one anyways...and its always going to sound dumb to the writer...I respond without thinking nearly enough though...so i say stupid things all the time...but that's me...and if he wants anything else he doesnt want me. I find if i let it hold me back from responding then I there is no point in being here.
 Rebellious
Msg: 6
An online confession .. and a question =)
Posted: 12/12/2006 7:19:18 PM
I don't think I'm leading anyone on by replying. I reply to all whether I'm "interested" or not. In any case, there is no way to know if there is "attraction" just by looking at a profile, millions think so but they're wrong.

I reply to all first messages (but not to spam) and I don't think content matters that much -- it's just a simple contact. All my messages are goofy one-liners anyway.

I have two recent messages with photos from a beautiful girl in Moscow Russia -- long messages in broken English, and frankly I didn't know what to reply. I just got a 3d message from her asking "are you not interested?" I'm just stumped
 Rebellious
Msg: 8
Posted: 12/12/2006 8:03:55 PM
Msg: 11 -- sanschele

Scammed? Why? She didn't ask for money, and her English is much better than my Russian. She's kind of pretty, but I doubt we'll ever meet. She wants me to write stuff about myself and I can't type . . . I prefer in person. I don't mind the distance, I flew to France for a date, but Russia would stretch my budget.
 Rebellious
Msg: 9
Posted: 12/12/2006 10:51:17 PM

Russian mail-order brides. I block them immediately. I would recommend you do the same.

Block her? What for? She only sent me a love letter with 2 photos.
Posted: 12/13/2006 7:31:25 AM

Anyhow, if your have writter's block at the time when you get a email, just a quick note saying, got your email will repsond when I have more time you sound interesting...

sounds like the best answer so far ~ honest, direct, and it leaves room for anticipation. too many ppl on dating sites talk of meeting right away and rush rush rushing everything, but I've always found that life is sweeter when you take the time to stop and smell the roses, rather than trampling them to find a vase.

I try to respond to everyone, but guess what? responses precipitate responses. one could very easily turn answering email into a full-time job.

Natscha
Msg: 12
Posted: 12/13/2006 8:28:00 AM
I don't respond to any unless they are related to the forums; the only reason I keep the "emailing-me option" open is for friends (mainly female) and forum-related stuff.

If I wrote to a man and he didn't reply, it would never even occur to me to take some kind of offense. He doesn't know me, how is he expected to know just how wonderful I am

Seriously though, before I became familiar with the posts on POF, I must have stupidly assumed everyone else thought like me; it didn't take me very long to see how sensitive many people were about this issue, and so I updated my profile just to spare people's feelings.

I do find it amazing that people take it personally when an absolute stranger doesn't reply to them. Do we really expect everyone to be into us? Is that not vanity?
 wcwm
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 12/30/2006 11:14:16 AM
The letters are generic, its probably some fat Russian guys in a room and he sends pictures of models. For the heck of it I responded to one and asked about 10 specific questions,the next letter I recieved didnt answer 1. A guy that is trying to find a online bride told me Russia is not the place to look anyway because it takes along time to get them out of Ruissia and costs alot of money, he told me of countries that are easier but I dont remember as im not looking that way.
 onib4ku
Msg: 15
Posted: 12/30/2006 12:44:23 PM
hmnn good thread.. gives me more insight as to what happens lol
*sigh* i still suck at this internet thingy.. im soo much better at this in the real world
maybe i should just bs my way on the net hehe
 jlizzy
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2007 10:52:14 PM
I only respond to the mails that intrigue me because I were I to answer every mail I'd have to make a full time job out of this!
 scorpiomover
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 11/5/2007 2:50:07 PM

So, let me ask you the reader: how often have you not replied to an email because you didn't want to screw it up in one way or another?
Quite a lot. That's the reason I haven't sent a first email to a lot of women. I put if off, till I could figure out what to say. I even did that to someone who emailed me. I kept putting off the reply, and before I knew it, a month had passed. Figure she gave up on me by then.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  >