Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 4ms4me
Msg: 130
view profile
History
Male logic versus Female emotions.. Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I think male logic is a societal expectation and assumption. I often find men to be surprisingly illogical, their thought processes obviously corrupted by emotion they won't acknowledge even to themselves. I think when men stop assuming they're being logical and begin admitting to their feelings, they'll be happier overall.

I think females ability to acknowledge and express emotion is used against them by men, when in reality it makes women stronger and more able to cope with life, especially when things are difficult.
 tooborednow
Msg: 131
Male logic versus Female emotions..
Posted: 4/29/2013 12:33:47 PM

I think females ability to acknowledge and express emotion is used against them by men, when in reality it makes women stronger and more able to cope with life, especially when things are difficult.

Personally, I don't think either gender is stronger than the other, or more able to cope with life than the other.
At best each individual simply tries to in the only way they've come to understand how to, which is mostly based on the manner they've been socialized.

One thing necessary to social living is a me vs you or us vs them, our way is better, if it wasn't I'd be on the other side, mentality.
It's necessary simply because without it there would really be no glue to hold people together in cooperation within a group.
Without group cooperation there really is no civilization.
Cooperation breeds competition, competition breeds cooperation, when dealing with more than one person.

Other than that it's just picking apart specialized or socialized attributes as a means to differentiate between groups or self identity/image. That creates roles.
Roles people live up to in order to feel safe and secure in their group or purpose in life.
Which then leads to generalized observations in order to support a role or group like:

drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 1:07:00 PM
I want to offer what I think is a clarification of this type of subject:

Ultimately, we're talking about traits that are alledgedly intrinsic of gender. A trait or nature that you're very strongly predisposed towards simply as a result of being a particular gender, despite anything else about who you are or your upbringing or your cultural environment, etc.

On subjects of gender, it's usually about stuff like intelligence, emotion, multi-tasking, social adjustment, speed of maturity, etc.

There are always other variables and therefore many exceptions...but when we try to make claims like this, we are talking about an otherwise typical average nature for "most" men or women, because they are male or female genetically, not culturally or socially in any way. We can't confuse the particular cultural or social truths of males or females, in any given time or place, with what may be true about them simply because of what sexual organs they have.

There is still way too much misunderstanding, subjectivity, pseudo-science, cultural factors and bias, and "pop-myth" concerning what things like logic, emotion, maturity, etc, even are in the first place, such that these ideas about natures or traits intrinsic of male and female still amount to a bunch of inconsistent and unreliable jibber-jabber. Very often, when a man tries to say something along these lines about women or a woman about men...it really stems from some mild gender-war mindset, insecurity, chauvinism, or simply a miscomprehension of how to think critically about things in general.

There may be certain traits like this that are intrinsic of gender, but so far we haven't really been able to see it one way or the other.
 4ms4me
Msg: 133
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 1:36:59 PM

Personally, I don't think either gender is stronger than the other, or more able to cope with life than the other.
At best each individual simply tries to in the only way they've come to understand how to, which is mostly based on the manner they've been socialized.

Agreed, my remark was too general, perhaps. But I do think the ability to acknowledge and express feelings makes it easier to endure loss, and in our society men tend to have more difficulty in that area, especially when it comes to relationships.
 sigungq
Msg: 134
view profile
History
Posted: 4/29/2013 7:34:52 PM
I believe it was Confucius who once said: "A woman's advise may not always seem wise, but he who does not heed it is a fool."
 ladyc4
Msg: 135
Posted: 5/1/2013 8:02:36 AM
Mr. drinkthesun...
Oh, I know all that...I was just being a smartmouth.
I do stand by my statement that I prefer a balance in both genders,but yeah, I'm enough of an ordinary person that I suppose I would be somewhat baffled if faced with an extremely emotional male or an extremely logical female.
CS-yes, I heard some rather odd scuttlebut about the decampment of Mr MouseEars...as for being bored-yeah right-like having a toothache quit hurting is boring.
Cindy O
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >